What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite post-Beatles Beatles songs: 291-1. (3 Viewers)

Two George covers today.  Both fantastic but rated lower due to being covers.

194.  Absolutely Sweet Marie (The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration, 1992)  Spotify  YouTube

(George #56)

This cover for Dylan’s 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration features George doing his very best Dylan, which is really freaking good.  He more than does it justice.  Spoke a bit about this concert with respect to my pick #281.  I think Pip knows a lot about this show.
Yep, George was in top form here and on his other song, which I’m sure you’ll get to later.

I sat in the car until it was over.  Do other people still do that?  Sit in the garage finishing a song, even though you have it readily available on several media?
:yes:

I got reprimanded at work for this once way backinaday. I made it TO work on time but, just before I was ready to hop out of the car, the DJ played a new song. Then he played it three or four times more in a row. I just sat in my car listening and ended up being 15 minutes late.

The song? "Truly" by Lionel Richie   :bag:

My sig was a Dentist quote that referenced Applebee’s, Olive Garden and unconventional lovemaking. 😂
Are you going to tell me what George song you're referring to?  I'm serious that I don't know, and now fear I missed one.  I have one I could take off the list to make room.  :lol:  

Speaking of semi-obscure George covers...

193.  Paul Simon and George Harrison – Homeward Bound (Nobody’s Child:  Romanian Angel Appeal, 1990)  YouTube  (not available on Spotify)

(George #56)

On April 24, 1976, Paul stopped by John’s place at the Dakota, where he found John watching Saturday Night (not yet called “Live”) as he was interested in the appearance from Raquel Welch.  They saw Lorne Michaels make the generous offer to the Beatles of $3000 genuine US Dollars if they would reunite to play three songs on the show.  They joked to each other that they should jump in a cab and go down there, but ultimately they were too tired to do it.  The next day Paul showed up again at the Dakota but was summarily dismissed by John; it was the final time the two would see each other.

Michaels’s offer became a running joke on Saturday Night, and on November 20, 1976, George appeared as the musical guest on the show, with Paul Simon as the host, in order promote his new record, Thirty Three And 1/3.  George appeared in a skit poking fun at the $3000 offer, where he attempted to collect it on his own, and he performed “Crackerbox Palace” and “This Song.”  But what everyone remembers from this show, making it one of the most iconic in SN(L) history, were the performances by George and Simon of two songs, “Here Comes The Sun” and “Homeward Bound.”  This performance is my favorite live performance I’ve ever seen from George; his vocal is so spectacularly vulnerable and beautiful that it gives me chills and often makes me tear up, too. 

How does it qualify for the countdown, though?  The live performance was later released on a charity record for an organization, Nobody’s Child:  Romanian Angel Appeal, a project organized by George’s wife to benefit Romanian orphans.  I can’t rate this any higher since it’s not a George song, and was a one-time performance that is difficult to track down at this point.  But it’s a moving, incredible performance.  Simon later termed it an “effortless collaboration…an ease and musicality that made me realize how intrinsic and subtle his contribution was to the Beatles’s brilliant creative weave.  He made musicians sound good without drawing attention to himself.”

By the way, on September 24, 1977, Michaels upped the offer to $3200, plus hotel accommodations.  Still no dice.

Last edited by a moderator:

193.  Paul Simon and George Harrison – Homeward Bound (Nobody’s Child:  Romanian Angel Appeal, 1990)  YouTube  (not available on Spotify)

(But what everyone remembers from this show, making it one of the most iconic in SN(L) history, were the performances by George and Simon of two songs, “Here Comes The Sun” and “Homeward Bound.”  This performance is my favorite live performance I’ve ever seen from George; his vocal is so spectacularly vulnerable and beautiful that it gives me chills and often makes me tear up, too. 
Awesome. They compliment each other very well. 

Aw ####.  I thought I had all of the albums written up - other than Back To The Egg, which I think even Morton will agree could be a quick write-up - and then realized I haven't yet covered McCartney.  I'd have sworn I'd posted a song from that already, but nope.  Anyone want to do a guest write-up?  Sigh.  OK, I'm doing it now.

I don't have anything written up for songs past tomorrow, since I've been focusing on the albums.  By only being one day ahead, I feel way behind.

By only being one day ahead, I feel way behind.
You are driven. You put a lot of time and energy into this. It's impressive. 

One of the colony cats disappeared in the last two days. Scary Mary. She is one of the calico sisters. I saw her Wednesday, but I didn't see her Thursday when it rained. I wasn't alarmed until I didn't see her yesterday, and then I didn't see her today.  She is a creature of habit, and it's not good that she isn't around. I waited around for her last night, but she didn't show up, and I looked for her this afternoon and tonight.  Whatever happened, I hope it was quick. 😿

Tomorrow:  my second favorite George album, Brainwashed; a Paul song not written by Paul (sorry, @Morton Muffley!); and - warning warning warning RED ALERT @Raging weasel - bagpipes!
I forgot that I do own Brainwashed as well -- one of my friends wouldn't stop raving about it. But I haven't listened to it in forever and I don't remember too much about it. 2001 was the beginning of my "Lost Weekend," if you will. 

You are driven. You put a lot of time and energy into this. It's impressive. 

One of the colony cats disappeared in the last two days. Scary Mary. She is one of the calico sisters. I saw her Wednesday, but I didn't see her Thursday when it rained. I wasn't alarmed until I didn't see her yesterday, and then I didn't see her today.  She is a creature of habit, and it's not good that she isn't around. I waited around for her last night, but she didn't show up, and I looked for her this afternoon and tonight.  Whatever happened, I hope it was quick. 😿
Aw, I'm so sorry.  In this instance, I'd like to think someone who loves calicos (as you know, there are "calico people"!) just thought she was so wonderful that they took her home.

I forgot that I do own Brainwashed as well -- one of my friends wouldn't stop raving about it. But I haven't listened to it in forever and I don't remember too much about it. 2001 was the beginning of my "Lost Weekend," if you will. 
By all means just leave this hanging out there.  ;)  

By all means just leave this hanging out there.  ;)  
I made some vague references to it during the jukebox draft.

My first wife left me in September 2001 -- less than a week before 9/11, in fact. For almost 2 years prior, I had, through the magic of the then-relatively-new internet, gone to events by and gradually became friends with a scene of musicians that were based in NJ (where I lived and still do) but often played in NYC. Once my wife left me, I started going into NYC (and sometime to venues in NJ and PA) constantly for shows and sometimes just to hang with people I'd become friends with along the way. From 2002 to 2005, I was hitting more than 70 shows per year. There were nights where I would arrive with no plan, knowing that I'd be able to crash on somebody's couch because I would know dozens of people who were gonna be there. My drinking could reach some pretty epic heights during this time -- for example, the Irving Plaza vomiting story I told earlier in this thread. Bottom line, I don't remember a whole lot from those years that wasn't part of the scene (multiple scenes, really) that I became a part of. 

I met my wife in the spring of 2006 and soon returned to a more "normal" lifestyle. During both my marriages, I haven't drank much at all and haven't felt the need to. But I drank a lot during college (I met my first wife less than a year after graduation) and during the in-between years. I also somehow managed to win a FF championship during this period. 😁

(George #56)

On April 24, 1976, Paul stopped by John’s place at the Dakota, where he found John watching Saturday Night (not yet called “Live”) as he was interested in the appearance from Raquel Welch.  They saw Lorne Michaels make the generous offer to the Beatles of $3000 genuine US Dollars if they would reunite to play three songs on the show.  They joked to each other that they should jump in a cab and go down there, but ultimately they were too tired to do it.  The next day Paul showed up again at the Dakota but was summarily dismissed by John; it was the final time the two would see each other.

Michaels’s offer became a running joke on Saturday Night, and on November 20, 1976, George appeared as the musical guest on the show, with Paul Simon as the host, in order promote his new record, Thirty Three And 1/3.  George appeared in a skit poking fun at the $3000 offer, where he attempted to collect it on his own, and he performed “Crackerbox Palace” and “This Song.”  But what everyone remembers from this show, making it one of the most iconic in SN(L) history, were the performances by George and Simon of two songs, “Here Comes The Sun” and “Homeward Bound.”  This performance is my favorite live performance I’ve ever seen from George; his vocal is so spectacularly vulnerable and beautiful that it gives me chills and often makes me tear up, too. 

How does it qualify for the countdown, though?  The live performance was later released on a charity record for an organization, Nobody’s Child:  Romanian Angel Appeal, a project organized by George’s wife to benefit Romanian orphans.  I can’t rate this any higher since it’s not a George song, and was a one-time performance that is difficult to track down at this point.  But it’s a moving, incredible performance.  Simon later termed it an “effortless collaboration…an ease and musicality that made me realize how intrinsic and subtle his contribution was to the Beatles’s brilliant creative weave.  He made musicians sound good without drawing attention to himself.”

By the way, on September 24, 1977, Michaels upped the offer to $3200, plus hotel accommodations.  Still no dice.
This is fantastic, they're both in peak form. George sounds like he'd sung this a squillion (did I do that right?) times before.

Lorne had wanted to call the show Saturday Night Live from the beginning, but around the same time ABC debuted a show with the same name, hosted by, of all people, Howard Cosell. The ABC show fizzled out after 18 episodes and NBC got permission to use the SNL name starting with season 3. 

My first wife left me in September 2001 -- less than a week before 9/11, in fact. For almost 2 years prior, I had, through the magic of the then-relatively-new internet, gone to events by and gradually became friends with a scene of musicians that were based in NJ (where I lived and still do) but often played in NYC. Once my wife left me, I started going into NYC (and sometime to venues in NJ and PA) constantly for shows and sometimes just to hang with people I'd become friends with along the way. From 2002 to 2005, I was hitting more than 70 shows per year. There were nights where I would arrive with no plan, knowing that I'd be able to crash on somebody's couch because I would know dozens of people who were gonna be there. My drinking could reach some pretty epic heights during this time -- for example, the Irving Plaza vomiting story I told earlier in this thread. Bottom line, I don't remember a whole lot from those years that wasn't part of the scene (multiple scenes, really) that I became a part of. 

I met my wife in the spring of 2006 and soon returned to a more "normal" lifestyle. During both my marriages, I haven't drank much at all and haven't felt the need to. But I drank a lot during college (I met my first wife less than a year after graduation) and during the in-between years. I also somehow managed to win a FF championship during this period. 😁
Great story, and with a happy ending!  I envy your Lost Weekend, though.  It sounds like a blast.  I had the same on maybe a smaller scale in Chicago during a very similar time period.

This is fantastic, they're both in peak form. George sounds like he'd sung this a squillion (did I do that right?) times before.

Lorne had wanted to call the show Saturday Night Live from the beginning, but around the same time ABC debuted a show with the same name, hosted by, of all people, Howard Cosell. The ABC show fizzled out after 18 episodes and NBC got permission to use the SNL name starting with season 3. 
Didn't know that tidbit!  Very interesting - thanks for sharing it.  And yes, "squillion."  Please feel free to use it anywhere, with or without proper attribution.

I envy your Lost Weekend, though.  It sounds like a blast. 
I mostly remember the fun parts -- and all the music I experienced -- now. But much of it was accompanied by a pretty terrible mental state. I was a hot mess emotionally, which played a factor in the drinking, and didn't really begin to get over my first wife's betrayal until not long before I met my current wife. So I wouldn't do it again, at least not in the exact same circumstances. 

I mostly remember the fun parts -- and all the music I experienced -- now. But much of it was accompanied by a pretty terrible mental state. I was a hot mess emotionally, which played a factor in the drinking, and didn't really begin to get over my first wife's betrayal until not long before I met my current wife. So I wouldn't do it again, at least not in the exact same circumstances. 
I get that.  All of it.  I often wonder if my retrospective view of my favorite years conveniently ignores how much more of a ####-up I was then.  Well, I don't wonder, but know.  But you and I wouldn't be the same without having those times.  You wouldn't be able to have the relationship you now do without those times.

I get that.  All of it.  I often wonder if my retrospective view of my favorite years conveniently ignores how much more of a ####-up I was then.  Well, I don't wonder, but know.  But you and I wouldn't be the same without having those times.  You wouldn't be able to have the relationship you now do without those times.
Exactly. There's a reason we go through these things.

I imagine it's got to be incredibly helpful that you and OH are still on good terms. I didn't have that and it certainly contributed to my mindset at the time. 

I did get to check off a bunch of "bucket list" concerts during that period, but not Paul or Ringo, which I still kick myself for. 

Aw ####.  I thought I had all of the albums written up - other than Back To The Egg, which I think even Morton will agree could be a quick write-up - and then realized I haven't yet covered McCartney.  I'd have sworn I'd posted a song from that already, but nope.  Anyone want to do a guest write-up?  Sigh.  OK, I'm doing it now.

I don't have anything written up for songs past tomorrow, since I've been focusing on the albums.  By only being one day ahead, I feel way behind.
Back to the Egg would benefit from few words written about it.  I don't have the strong negative feelings for that album that I have for Pipes of Peace and Broadstreet, but it isn't an album I listen to...well, ever really.  You have my blessing to deliver your entire Back to the Egg write-up in a haiku if you wish. Or is you insist on a ghostwritten haiku, I'll do it for you:

Your salamander?
Faux, maudlin and bloated rock
It's Thailand now, sir

(George #56)

How does it qualify for the countdown, though?  The live performance was later released on a charity record for an organization, Nobody’s Child:  Romanian Angel 
Your devotion to a set of arbitrary rules that YOU created and have since, on at least one occasion, altered is somehow both admirable and amusing to me. 

I sincerely mean that with the utmost respect and good humor - and hope that you receive it in the spirit intended.  

Back to the Egg would benefit from few words written about it.  I don't have the strong negative feelings for that album that I have for Pipes of Peace and Broadstreet, but it isn't an album I listen to...well, ever really.  You have my blessing to deliver your entire Back to the Egg write-up in a haiku if you wish. Or is you insist on a ghostwritten haiku, I'll do it for you:

Your salamander?
Faux, maudlin and bloated rock
It's Thailand now, sir
:lmao:   That's perfect.

Oddly enough, Back To The Egg will be the last record I get to, because even though I only have one song from it on my list, it's a song I've rated highly.  And yes, it involves a blunt-snouted amphibian.

Your devotion to a set of arbitrary rules that YOU created and have since, on at least one occasion, altered is somehow both admirable and amusing to me. 

I sincerely mean that with the utmost respect and good humor - and hope that you receive it in the spirit intended.  
I wouldn't say they're arbitrary at all.  They are obviously not the same as you have, but not arbitrary in any event.  And there's no "at least" to it.

Aw ####.  I thought I had all of the albums written up - other than Back To The Egg, which I think even Morton will agree could be a quick write-up - and then realized I haven't yet covered McCartney.  I'd have sworn I'd posted a song from that already,h but nope.  Anyone want to do a guest write-up?  Sigh.  OK, I'm doing it now.

While I didn't recall a write-up for McCartney, I too thought you had posted one of the songs for that album.  I seem to vaguely recall a discussion of That Would be Something.

Wait!  This is a trap isn't it?  You are checking to see if we are actually reading your postings as we claim we are.  Well you are a clever one because I went back and searched and could find NOTHING.  Which means that you wrote it, posted it, and then subsequently deleted it!  ALL in an effort to get us to admit that we never read/saw it.  Well, I'm not falling for it.  Better luck NEXT time!  And so, let me tell you:

Your write-up for the McCartney album was as brilliant as all the others.  Not only was the prose light and vibrant, but the underlying research exhaustive and the manner in which you conveyed Paul's post-Beatles break-up depression was incredibly empathetic.  Indeed, it was among your best write-ups thus far.  But what I most appreciated is the way you captured Linda as, and I'm directly quoting you now, "the talented muse with the voice of angel and the sex appeal of Racquel Welch."  Bravo Krista!

(George #56)

Wow, I had never heard that before and neither had Mrs APK.   Paul Simon is probably her favorite musician......and she’s been brainwashed by my love of George......

They sound so natural singing Homeward Bound together.   Really enjoyed the different harmony than the original version w Garfunkel.

While I didn't recall a write-up for McCartney, I too thought you had posted one of the songs for that album.  I seem to vaguely recall a discussion of That Would be Something.

Wait!  This is a trap isn't it?  You are checking to see if we are actually reading your postings as we claim we are.  Well you are a clever one because I went back and searched and could find NOTHING.  Which means that you wrote it, posted it, and then subsequently deleted it!  ALL in an effort to get us to admit that we never read/saw it.  Well, I'm not falling for it.  Better luck NEXT time!  And so, let me tell you:

Your write-up for the McCartney album was as brilliant as all the others.  Not only was the prose light and vibrant, but the underlying research exhaustive and the manner in which you conveyed Paul's post-Beatles break-up depression was incredibly empathetic.  Indeed, it was among your best write-ups thus far.  But what I most appreciated is the way you captured Linda as, and I'm directly quoting you now, "the talented muse with the voice of angel and the sex appeal of Racquel Welch."  Bravo Krista!
Now this was brilliant to begin with, but now particularly funny to me as I just completed my McCartney write-up, and "That Would Be Something" features in there.  But neither Raquel Welch nor any of Linda's seductiveness does.

Oh!  Not related to the above, but I just remembered that I'd meant to say that I thought "mournfulness" was a word, too.  I'm still convinced it is.

Wow, I had never heard that before and neither had Mrs APK.   Paul Simon is probably her favorite musician......and she’s been brainwashed by my love of George......

They sound so natural singing Homeward abound together.   Really enjoyed the different harmony than the original version w Garfunkel.
This was one I was really excited to post here, because I expected a lot of people had missed it.  SO FREAKING GORGEOUS.  

I know we're just in the 190s, but we are in really great stuff already.  I mean, these are my favorite solo songs from my four favorite musicians of all time, so of course I think that.  I have 12 more songs from tomorrow through Wednesday (albeit none of them written up after tomorrow's!) that are set, but after that I feel like there's a new dividing line from very good going into great.  After those, I don't feel like there is any song that you couldn't argue for being in the top 100 overall.

ETA:  What I'm saying is I love these songs!!

I know we're just in the 190s, but we are in really great stuff already.  I mean, these are my favorite solo songs from my four favorite musicians of all time, so of course I think that.  I have 12 more songs from tomorrow through Wednesday (albeit none of them written up after tomorrow's!) that are set, but after that I feel like there's a new dividing line from very good going into great.  After those, I don't feel like there is any song that you couldn't argue for being in the top 100 overall.

ETA:  What I'm saying is I love these songs!!
Don’t worry - this group will figure out a way to argue about some of the top 100.

Man.  That’s intense.  Thx for sharing this.

Based on the years involved, the location, and the vague details.....decent odds we crossed paths somewhere.  But also zero chance I would actually remember it.  Let’s just say a lot of your words resonated.

Except for the part about winning a FF championship during that period.  😡

Now this was brilliant to begin with, but now particularly funny to me as I just completed my McCartney write-up, and "That Would Be Something" features in there.  But neither Raquel Welch nor any of Linda's seductiveness does.

Oh!  Not related to the above, but I just remembered that I'd meant to say that I thought "mournfulness" was a word, too.  I'm still convinced it is.
Thanks.  That's great.

And mournfulness probably is a word, just not according to my autocorrect.

But more importantly, you reminded ME of something I forgot to mention in my cramming to catch up from my extended absence: I, more often than not, also think it's Big Barn Red! I attribute that to:

1. Great minds think alike

2. In all the children's farm toys the barn is ALWAYS red. So whenever I hear/read "barn" the mental image I create is a RED barn

3. Nobody puts the bed IN the barn Paul!

But more importantly, you reminded ME of something I forgot to mention in my cramming to catch up from my extended absence: I, more often than not, also think it's Big Barn Red! 
Now THAT (would be) IS something.  I think it's the mental image, as you said, of a big RED barn.  I'm amazed (maybe) that I'm not the only one that does that, though. 

Thanks for sharing @Pip's Invitation. Glad to hear you made it through that. And from the vast musical knowledge you effortlessly display, you certainly picked up a lot musical, and I am sure other, perspective along the way.

Man.  That’s intense.  Thx for sharing this.

Based on the years involved, the location, and the vague details.....decent odds we crossed paths somewhere.  But also zero chance I would actually remember it.  Let’s just say a lot of your words resonated.

Except for the part about winning a FF championship during that period.  😡
Thanks. I actually kept a list of the shows I saw during some of those years on an old Ween message board, but it doesn't look like the board exists anymore. If you were at Irving Plaza to see Umphrey's McGee on December 10, 2004 and saw a guy vomiting in the stairwell, that was me. 😆

Aside from the larger venues where you needed a ticket in advance, it wasn't uncommon to see me at the Mercury Lounge, Piano's or the Tribeca Rock Club. 

(As I typed my response, "Summer Girls" by LFO came on the Summerpalooza draft podcast, which includes the line "Michael J. Fox played Alex P. Keaton." 😆)

192.  Wings – Mull Of Kintyre (single, 1977)  Spotify YouTube

(Paul #89)

Bagpipes incoming!

“Mull Of Kintyre,” Paul’s tribute to the natural beauty of the Kintyre peninsula in Scotland where he has his “farm,” was begun in 1974 but finished later by Paul and Denny Laine, and finally committed to a recording in 1977 by Wings.  It dislodged a little-known song called “She Loves You” by an obscure band known as “The Beatles” (sp?) as the highest-selling single in UK history, recording over two million sales for the first time ever.  In 1984, its sales were eclipsed in the UK by those of “Do They Know It’s Christmas,” because Paul Young y’all, but it remains the best-selling non-charity single of all time in the UK. 

Despite being so beloved, the song was not without some controversy surrounding it, primarily from its co-writer and its musicians.  Laine, despite contributing significantly to the composition, wasn’t given what he believed was a fair recompense for the best-selling single in UK history, saying he got “very little out of it” and that when he asked Paul for something more for the tune, he was told, essentially, “I’m Paul McCartney, and anyone who writes with me is privileged.”  Likewise, the 14 members of the Campbeltown Pipe Band, who contributed the bagpipes and drums, were paid minimum wage for their efforts after a month of rehearsals.  After some public complaints following the song’s success, Paul sent them an additional 200 pounds each.

What I love most about this song…  First, the writing and recording of it were both very cool.  While Paul had written the general idea and chorus of the song earlier, it was finished when Paul and Laine just walked around the hills of Scotland strumming their acoustic guitars and drinking the local ales (and maybe a touch of scotch).  Due to the bagpipes, most of the song was recorded outside, as bagpipes generally must be.  But Paul’s vocal and the guitars were also recorded outside, with a sock put on a microphone to deal with some of the wind noise.  Second, sorry weasel but I love the bagpipes!  They supplement the beautiful melody perfectly and aren’t overwhelming in this instance.  Overall the song is a sweet folk singalong – in waltz time! – that provides a firm sense of place.

Paul produced not one, not two, but three promo videos for this one.  Here are two of them:  A One  And A Two

Good news to report. I went out to the colony at 11, and Mary was there! I don't know if she was closed up somewhere or not, but she is still alive and kicking. I went out there to mix some stuff in her sister's (Trixie) food, and Mary was peeking at me through the cat door, and she came out. She hangs out in there with her sister, Patch, if it isn't too hot out. Her other sister, Trixie, has had a bad eye for a month, and I am trying different things to make it better, although it may be too late. She has a film over her eye. It looks cloudy.  She may already be part blind in it. If it happens to her other eye she is screwed. I can't touch her, cause she is feral, but she does eat wet food with anything I mix in it.  All I can do is try. She has started talking to me. I think she is telling me she wants more of the wet food. She is quite full figured, so that isn't going to happen.

192.  Wings – Mull Of Kintyre (single, 1977)  Spotify YouTube

(Paul #89)

Bagpipes incoming!

“Mull Of Kintyre,” Paul’s tribute to the natural beauty of the Kintyre peninsula in Scotland where he has his “farm,” was begun in 1974 but finished later by Paul and Denny Laine, and finally committed to a recording in 1977 by Wings.  It dislodged a little-known song called “She Loves You” by an obscure band known as “The Beatles” (sp?) as the highest-selling single in UK history, recording over two million sales for the first time ever.  In 1984, its sales were eclipsed in the UK by those of “Do They Know It’s Christmas,” because Paul Young y’all, but it remains the best-selling non-charity single of all time in the UK. 

Despite being so beloved, the song was not without some controversy surrounding it, primarily from its co-writer and its musicians.  Laine, despite contributing significantly to the composition, wasn’t given what he believed was a fair recompense for the best-selling single in UK history, saying he got “very little out of it” and that when he asked Paul for something more for the tune, he was told, essentially, “I’m Paul McCartney, and anyone who writes with me is privileged.”  Likewise, the 14 members of the Campbeltown Pipe Band, who contributed the bagpipes and drums, were paid minimum wage for their efforts after a month of rehearsals.  After some public complaints following the song’s success, Paul sent them an additional 200 pounds each.

What I love most about this song…  First, the writing and recording of it were both very cool.  While Paul had written the general idea and chorus of the song earlier, it was finished when Paul and Laine just walked around the hills of Scotland strumming their acoustic guitars and drinking the local ales (and maybe a touch of scotch).  Due to the bagpipes, most of the song was recorded outside, as bagpipes generally must be.  But Paul’s vocal and the guitars were also recorded outside, with a sock put on a microphone to deal with some of the wind noise.  Second, sorry weasel but I love the bagpipes!  They supplement the beautiful melody perfectly and aren’t overwhelming in this instance.  Overall the song is a sweet folk singalong – in waltz time! – that provides a firm sense of place.

Paul produced not one, not two, but three promo videos for this one.  Here are two of them:  A One  And A Two
I relly liked this song, those obviously not as much as the folks in the UK.  It lands at #49 on my list, just ahead of that snout-nosed amphibian we discussed yesterday.  I think the bagpipes are nice.  Knew about Denny Laine's issues, but had never heard about the 200 pounds before.  Not quite how I feel about that.  Definitely think a gesture short of writing credit is warranted when you've just charted the biggest selling single in UK history and that 200 pounds is kinda insulting (i.e. worse than nothing).  But am trying to think of what the right amount approach is.  I mean they weren't the ONLY people hired by Paul who likely felt they were owed more when a big hit resulted (producers, session musicians, staff, etc.).  This is why I'm happy I'm not rich and famous.  Anyway, thanks for sharing the backstory.

I relly liked this song, those obviously not as much as the folks in the UK.  It lands at #49 on my list, just ahead of that snout-nosed amphibian we discussed yesterday.  I think the bagpipes are nice.  Knew about Denny Laine's issues, but had never heard about the 200 pounds before.  Not quite how I feel about that.  Definitely think a gesture short of writing credit is warranted when you've just charted the biggest selling single in UK history and that 200 pounds is kinda insulting (i.e. worse than nothing).  But am trying to think of what the right amount approach is.  I mean they weren't the ONLY people hired by Paul who likely felt they were owed more when a big hit resulted (producers, session musicians, staff, etc.).  This is why I'm happy I'm not rich and famous.  Anyway, thanks for sharing the backstory.
This one started out quite a bit higher for me and could be in my top 50 on a given day.

I expect people would be unhappy with Paul no matter what.  It’s hard to say what’s fair in the situation.

---INTERLUDE – Brainwashed (2002)---

Brainwashed was released a year after George’s 2001 death, having been completed by Jeff Lynne and Dhani based on specific instructions left by George for its completion.  George’s first solo studio album in 15 years was warmly received by critics and the public alike, reaching #18 on the US charts and being nominated for three Grammy awards (and winning one).  One critic deemed it the best album by a Beatle since Paul’s Flowers In The Dirt in 1989.

As I mentioned in prior write-ups, the writing and recording of these songs reached back many years, with some beginning as early as 1988, but when George found that his condition was terminal, he sped up his work on this album.  In addition to completing as much as he personally could, he left Lynne and Dhani a guide to everything he planned for the recordings should he not complete them, including a timetable of recordings and all the sessions that were booked, how he wanted each of the instruments to be employed and sound, and even instructions on the album artwork and packaging.  Lynne and Dhani kept to the timetable already planned by George and followed the instructions closely.  Lynne said, “His life was in those final songs. … We gradually just filled them in. It was just about mixing them and making them sound like George would like them. You just had to go with your gut feeling." 

George’s meticulous work in cataloging what he wanted, and the equally meticulous work of Lynne and Dhani to realize George’s vision, shine through on this album.  These songs not only sound full and complete, but they sound like the songs you’d expect had George completed them, eschewing some of Lynne’s tendency toward grand production in favor of a more subtle style.  The only primary musicians on this record are George, Dhani, Lynne, and…sigh…Jim Keltner.  Reflecting the long period over which they were written and recorded, the songs on this record vary broadly in style and in lyrical content, balancing the light and humorous with the more serious and profound, but they still sound cohesive in their warmth and focus.  The result is my second favorite George album, with seven of the 12 songs making my countdown.  If only John and Yoko had been able to follow the same path for Milk and Honey…but John had the “disadvantage” of not knowing his time was going to be cut short.

I don't know the story behind the cover art on this one, nor do I like it much.  I assume some reference to TV, etc. brainwashing the masses.

Track listing:

1. Any Road
  2. P2 Vatican Blue (Last Saturday Night)
  3. Pisces Fish
  4. Looking For My Life
  5. Rising Sun
  6. Marwa Blues
  7. Stuck Inside A Cloud
  8. Run So Far
  9. Never Get Over You
  10. Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
  11. Rocking Chair In Hawaii
  12. Brainwashed

Users who are viewing this thread