What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early voting - I voted today (1 Viewer)

johnnycakes

Footballguy
Massachusetts has early voting starting yesterday and going through the 28th of August.  I was surprised to see the polling stations are open on a Sunday, so I went.  Voting was for the Massachusetts primaries.  I'm a registered independent, so I could choose my ballot, so I got the Democrat ballot and cast my vote for Joe Kennedy over that career hack Ed Markey.  It all went very smoothly.... no line whatsoever at the polling station.  Even parking was a breeze.  :thumbup:

Wife went to vote today and noped out. Line was wrapped around a large building, through the parking lot, and down the street. Never seen anything like it.

We voted last Monday.  We can vote at any polling place in our county.  The website has green, yellow, and red designations so you can tell how long the wait is.  We waited a whole 5-8 minutes.  Sweet.  (Texas, by the way.)

Has early in person voting always been a thing? If not, I don't understand why not. If so, wish it was made more aware.

gianmarco said:
Has early in person voting always been a thing? If not, I don't understand why not. If so, wish it was made more aware.
Texas passed a law for early voting back in 1987.  It's become much more popular over the years.  We've been doing it since about 1998.  It's great.  Until we moved here, we were voting in a hundred-year-old dance hall.

gianmarco said:
I think it's been the case here since sometime in the 2000's. I don't recall if there was a time when it was only absentee and not in-person. I've not paid attention because the in-person part can only be done at the county board of elections. Those lines are always long, especially this year, and it isn't anywhere near my house. I live in a relatively small suburb with multiple voting locations, so for voting in-person there's really no reason to vote on any day but election day. I always go a little after 8 am and am back to work before 8:30. I'd be surprised if this year is any different.

gianmarco said:
I don't recall any early voting here in MA for the 2016 election.  :shrug:

I live in Providence RI. That means I have to vote at City Hall. (not a smaller town hall with a nice parking lot, etc) 

I voted early today and it took less than 30 minutes. 

I have 2 main criticisms though:

1. I had to pay for parking as I usually would for a downtown activity (11 dollars) 

2. There were no poll workers outside so the line got a bit confusing. I had to help multiple Spanish speaking folks with instructions as they were just as confused as I when they arrived. 

Other than that, the process was easy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
gianmarco said:
I've been voting early for many years now in Wisconsin, typically a week or two prior to the election date.  I've done this to avoid waiting in line, and because I never know for certain what might come up in my work schedule to make it difficult on a particular date.  This year I voted via dropbox due to anticipated lines for early voting.  Essentially, I want to do my civic duty, but am only willing to make a very minor personal convenience sacrifice in order to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread