What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 RB Lotto Ticket Rankings (1 Viewer)

daylight

Footballguy
UPDATED Sat. Oct. 24

And we're back!  And it's our Five Year Anniversary LOL

In 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 we had a thread that folks seemed to find valuable so I am starting another version for 2020 - it's a living, ongoing list of potential King Makers at RB - the idea is to be PREEMPTIVE on RBs most likely sitting on the Waiver Wire (depending upon league size, sharks or guppies, etc.).  The definition of this thread is generally re-draft.

To paraphrase @TZMarkie from 2016: "This is for re-draft and we are looking for the ones with the best combination of availability, upside and possibility of a big workload. That combination would likely give the average owner the best chance at hitting the "lottery ticket RB" that could change an owners season...The point is, regardless of however you see it, and whatever your league preference and/or breakdown may be, in most cases a typical owner (think redraft with 5-7 bench spots) will only be able to truly "take a shot" on one or two of these guys".

To paraphrase @Interseptopus from 2019:  "A lotto ticket, to me, costs almost nothing, and is easily expendable for the next lotto ticket, but has potential to win you your season. ... Lotto tickets, in my mind, are easily cut from one week to the next."

For those of you who are FootballGuys subscribers, I recommend:

Note:  I primed the pump a little with backs I've seen go un-drafted this month but I am no expert by any means so all opinions are welcomed

It's going to be an interesting Week 1 - with no pre-season "reveal" - could be some real shockers happening.

And, as always, your mileage may vary.

Also, you might enjoy @Long Ball Larry 's thread "RB Situation by Team"

UPDATE: I thought, rather than years past where I made separate lists for

• LOTTO tickets (likely not owned) vs
  • HANDCUFFS (likely owned but could be a King Maker d/t Starter Injury) vs
  • TOO LATE (was a LOTTO or a HANDCUFF but circumstances changed and now it should be public knowledge that they should be owned) - AKA "The Cat is Out of the Bag"
...that I would have ONE list with keys: 

• LOTTO (as above) in green
  • HANDCUFF (as above) in orange
  • TOOLATE (as above) in red
  • Honorable-Mention-For-Completeness (HMFC) in black
...this way there is one list that short bench and/or guppy league owners vs long bench / shark league owners can use.  We'll see if that works.

CANDIDATES for the Season Changing - King Maker List - completely un-ranked:

[*]ATL -

• LOTTO? - Quadree Ollison per @JFS171 and @MAC_32

Editor's Note:  on the Aug. 27th Audible Waldman basically endorsed Ollison as the LOTTO and Hill as a role player - LINK -

[*]HMFC  - Ito Smith per @Shaunz33 who also states: "though still some question if RB2 is Brian Hill"

[*]LOTTO? - HANDCUFF? - Brian Hill - per @zeeshan2 - ESPN's Vaughn McClure believes Brian Hill "looks like the guy most capable of carrying the load if Todd Gurley's body doesn't hold up." - LINK

[*]BAL -

[*]BUF -

[*]CAR -

• TOOLATE - Mike Davis - @Faust wrote: Mike Davis has stood out as a "duel threat" in training camp, emerging as the clear backup to Christian McCaffrey

[*]CHI -

[*]CIN -

• LOTTO - Trayveon Williams - @Faust writes "is Giovani Bernard the handcuff due to his pass protection skills with a rookie QB and Trayveon Williams is the lotto ticket, or is it the other way around?"
  • LOTTO - Giovani Bernard @Faust writes "is Giovani Bernard the handcuff due to his pass protection skills with a rookie QB and Trayveon Williams is the lotto ticket, or is it the other way around?"

[*]CLE -

• Chubb on IR (2020-10-08)
  • TOOLATE - D'Ernest Johnson on a team that is running the ball really well (per Bloom)

[*]DAL -

• LOTTO/TOOLATE - Tony Pollard - I know he's being drafted in all leagues but he has to be on the list just in case he's available (short bench leagues / newbie leagues)

surely rostered in near 100% of leagues

[*]DEN -

• UPDATE: 2020-10-14 Gordon has a DUI

[*]DET -

• - UPDATE Sep 5th: AP signs with Detriot

[*]GB -

• HMFC - AJ Dillon -
  • HMFC - Dexter Williams - 
  • LOTTO - Jamaal Williams -  big endorsements for J Williams this week (Oct. 16) from @IHEARTFF and @NotSmart

[*]HOU -

[*]IND -

[*]JAX -

• Editor's Note: JAX ranked #10 OL per FootballGuys Ranking -
  • NEWS:  Mon. Aug. 31 AM - Fournette Released - @IHEARTFF States "Armstead/Ozigbo become must draft and James Robinson is one to watch in Jax now."
  • Ryquell Armstead - UPDATE SEP 5 - Armstead placed on COVID List
  • LOTTO - Devine Ozigbo per @JFS171
  • HMFC - Chris Thompson
  • TOOLATE - per @Faust - Jaguars rookie RB James Robinson has had "several strong runs" in team drills. Robinson went undrafted after running a 4.6 forty. His 92nd-percentile burst score and 69th-percentile agility were more encouraging, and there’s no doubt Robinson was a college dominator at the FCS level. Robinson flashed while Ryquell Armstead was on the COVID-19 list, a good sign for his roster chances. With the Jaguars looking ready to move on from Leonard Fournette, Robinson is a forward-thinking late round pick in rookie-only drafts. SOURCE: jaguars.com  Aug 30, 2020, 10:59 AM ET

UDFA James Robinson. Had a good scrimmage on Saturday (Aug 29) and has flashed in camp.
  • @JFS171 posted a nice update write-up on James Robinson here:  LINK

[*]KCC -

• KCC ranked #5 OL per FootballGuys Ranking -
  • 2020-10-16: L Bell signed by KC
  • HMFC - Darrel Williams

@JFS171 has a nice opinion post in this thread on why Darrel Williams "will have a bigger role early in KC than anyone is expecting":  LINK
  • Nice write up by @TZMarkie stating "I'm grabbing Darrel Williams everywhere" - LINK - and another write-up by @TZMarkie here:  LINK
  • Editor's Note - I'm marking Darrel Williams as HANDCUFF b/c he seems to be the #2 at worst (as of Sep 6) *AND* LOTTO as he has been going un-drafted in every draft I have seen (until I take him with my final pick that is)

[*]HMFC - Darwin Thompson - UPDATE SEP 11 - ZERO touches in Thursday’s opener

• 2020-10-14 - "two consecutive outings Thompson has gone without an offensive snap" LINK

[*]HMFC - DeAndre Washington - 2020-10-14: called up DeAndre Washington from the practice squad

• UPDATE SAT SEP 5 - DeAndre Washington cut by KCC
  • per @Ilov80s : "I like DeAndre Washington most out of the KC back-ups" and "FWIW, Washington played with Mahomes in college so I am sure they spoke with him before the signing. If I am going to take a flyer on the 2nd in touches behind CEH, Washington is the player I am taking my swing on. More athletic, sturdier build and more NFL production/experience."
  • Deandre Washington game logs from 2019
  • Also likes Washington:  @gabes1919
  • DeAndre Washington to be cut??? Thanks @zeeshan2 : LINK

[*]ALSO SEE MY POLL:  Which KC RB to draft late, or pick up, other than CEH?

[*]ALSO SEE @cantstop1999 's topic:  Who is the back up to CEH ?

[*]ALSO SEE @socrates 's Aug. 27th, 2020 breakdown of the KCC backs

[*]ALSO - Here are Matt Waldman's recent KCC specific articles:

[*]LAC -

• TOOLATE - Joshua Kelley - Appears to be playing the "Gordon Role" i.e. sharing "starting" duties with Eckler

Quote from @FGITLOTR : "love SD’s Josh Kelly. As Waldman has discussed at length, he’s excellent between the tackles and has good, quick feet. (Waldman showed) Kelly may find running in the NFL easier than in college. I can see Kelly eventually getting the Gordon role at some point this year, as Ekeler isn’t built to get 200 plus carries "

[*]LOTTO or HANDCUFF - Justin Jackson ? - per @Ilov80s : "prefer Justin Jackson over Kelley"

[*]LOTTO - Darius Bradwell - per @Faust

[*]LAR -

• TOOLATE - Malcolm Brown per @Twenty-Four Eighty-Four - Brown could start week one
  • HMFC - per @Faust - Rams signed rookie RB Raymond Calais to their 53-man roster
  • TOOLATE - D Henderson

[*]LV -

• Editor's Note:  LV ranked #2 OL per FootballGuys Ranking -
  • HANDCUFF or LOTTO ? - Booker - per @Faust
    LOTTO
    - Lynn Bowden, Jr. -  per @Stompin' Tom Connors : "I think if Jacobs goes down, we'll see a committee with Richard, Riddick, And Bowden, leaning towards Richard as the guy who is a proven commodity in this offense.  I do think the real lotto ticket here may be Lynn Bowden, Jr." LINK TO STOMPINs ANALYSIS -

@az_prof agrees saying "Given that Jacobs is pretty good, I don't think any of these guys will be worth much without an injury to him although maybe Richard or Bowden do as pass catching backs in PPR. But if he does go down I do think the guy who could stand out and be a true Lotto ticket is Bowden. "

[*]MIA - 

• TOOLATE - Myles Gaskin
  • Malcolm Perry - per @ConnSKINS26 writing "apparently standing out in camp...but as a WR, not at RB. I was surprised to see that because MFL has had him as a RB this whole time"

[*]MIN -

[*]NE -

• LOTTO - J.J. Taylor - per @Faust writing "Perhaps not even a lotto ticket" - LINK Editor's Note:  perhaps not but it's a BB backfield and anything can happen
  • TOOLATE - Damien Harris - Editor's Note: I am marking Harris as TOOLATE b/c I agree with @wgoldsph 's comment that folks are catching on that Harris, not Sony Michel will start

[*]NO -

[*]NYG -

• HMFC - D Freeman
  • HMFC - Wayne Gallman "can carry the load" in the event Saquon Barkley missed games in 2020 - per @Faust : LINK

[*]NYJ -

• Perine?  per @zamboni LINK
  • Note:  Oct. 14th - L Bell released

[*]PHI -

• HANDCUFF or LOTTO ? - Boston Scott ?
  • LOTTO - Adrian Killins - per @Faust - Twitter link states:  "Killins has been getting a ton of reps with the first team. They’ve been lining him up in the backfield, in the slot and out wide. He’s one of the smallest guys on the team but he is also one of the fastest.”"
  • LOTTO - Elijah Holyfield per @Faust : LINK @Faust posted a Twitter that said:  Elijah Holyfield has the most catches (15) and the most carries (23) of any running back on the team. He's had an excellent training camp. Seems to be a battle between him and Adrian Killins for the #Eagles 4th RB spot
  • HANDCUFF or LOTTO ? - Corey Clement per @Boone22

[*]PIT -

• HANDCUFF - Benny Snell -

UPDATE SEP 2 from @Faust "This news indicates that Benny Snell is the handcuff and Anthony McFarland is the lotto ticket." LINK

[*]LOTTO  - Anthony McFarland Jr

• UPDATE SEP 2 from @Faust "This news indicates that Benny Snell is the handcuff and Anthony McFarland is the lotto ticket." LINK

[*]Editor's Note:  perhaps Poll worthy?

[*]SEA -

• LOTTO - Rashaad Penny per @socrates - here is his opinion: LINK
  • LOTTO - Deejay Dallas per @Ilov80s
  • HMFC - Carlos Hyde - poor Carlos gets no love on this thread and now he is injured (2020-10-08)

[*]SF -

[*]TOOLATE - Jerick McKinnon -

[*]LOTTO - J Wilson

[*]TB -

• Editor's Note:  TB signed Fournette
  • LOTTO - Dare Ogunbowale - Editor's note: anyone agree?
  • HMFC - Fournette
  • HMFC - Ke'Shawn Vaughn

[*]TEN -

[*]WAS -

Thoughts?  Opinions?

P.S. I want to give a shout out to  @SameSongNDance for starting this annual tradition back in 2016!

And I thank the following past prolific contributors not mentioned earlier  (If I forgot anyone I apologize in advance): 

@4th and Inches  - @Ack88 - @bicycle_seat_sniffer - @Buck Bradcanon - @BobbyLayne - @Casting Couch - @Chaka - @cloppbeast

@davearm - @Faust - @Football Jones - @hamsterdam - @hardcoredx - @Hot Sauce Guy - @Iceman03 - @IHEARTFF

@Ilov80s - @JFS171 - @joey - @leftcoastheel - @Long Ball Larry - @MindBomb - @Patrick the Pirate@pinkham13 - @Snorkelson

@SoBeDad@socrates - @Stompin' Tom Connors@Ted Lange as your Bartender - @The Dude@worrierking - @Wooderson

@zamboni

Last edited by a moderator:
Antonio Gibson 'the one' that could fill Derrius Guice's role in Washington

ESPN's John Keim reports that Antonio Gibson could be 'the one' who assumes the role the Washington Football Team had planned for Derrius Guice this season. 

WHAT IT MEANS:

The team cut Derrius Guice last week immediately after news emerged about a potential domestic violence issue, opening up a huge opportunity for the rest of the team's running backs, including 2020 third-round pick Gibson. While he lacks experience, Gibson does offer prototypical size at the position (6-foot, 228-pounds) and 98th-percentile speed (4.39 40-yard dash at the combine). 

Gibson will likely compete with red-shirt rookie Bryce Love and veteran Adrian Peterson for opportunities this season. Gibson had just 77 touches in his collegiate career, but was irrefutably an explosive talent with the ball in his hands. Our models project him to to play a hybrid role in 2020, with 80 carries and 39.5 receptions for 326.2 and 305 yards respectively. He has the upside to be a league-winner, but his floor on the Washington offense is frighteningly low.

Washington running back Bryce Love has looked 'really good' so far

Ian Rapoport reports that Washington Footbal Team running back Bryce Love has looked 'really good' in practice so far this season. 

WHAT IT MEANS:

Love essentially red-shirted his rookie season while dealing with an unfortunate ACL tear that ended his senior campaign at Stanford and required multiple surgeries. However, Washington clearly liked the talent he showcased when healthy at Stanford, as they drafted him in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft despite his injury. The lead back role in Washington is anyone's for the taking, and Love is certainly in the mix with Adrian Peterson and Antonio Gibson. 

Love had a truly dominant junior season in college in which he amassed an incredible 2,118 rushing yards and 19 touchdowns on an insane 8.1 yards per carry clip, but shocked many when he chose to return to school for his final season. That final season did not go as planned, as Love visibly struggled through an ankle injury and eventually tore his ACL. Still, now that he's finally healthy again, Love offers game-breaking speed at the running back position and should be a name to watch heading into the season.

And we're back!  And it's our Five Year Anniversary LOL

In 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 we had a thread that folks seemed to find valuable so I am starting another version for 2020 - it's a living, ongoing list of potential King Makers at RB - the idea is to be PREEMPTIVE on RBs most likely sitting on the Waiver Wire (depending upon league size, sharks or guppies, etc.).  The definition of this thread is generally re-draft.

To paraphrase @TZMarkie from 2016: "This is for re-draft and we are looking for the ones with the best combination of availability, upside and possibility of a big workload. That combination would likely give the average owner the best chance at hitting the "lottery ticket RB" that could change an owners season...The point is, regardless of however you see it, and whatever your league preference and/or breakdown may be, in most cases a typical owner (think redraft with 5-7 bench spots) will only be able to truly "take a shot" on one or two of these guys".

To paraphrase @Interseptopus from 2019:  "A lotto ticket, to me, costs almost nothing, and is easily expendable for the next lotto ticket, but has potential to win you your season. ... Lotto tickets, in my mind, are easily cut from one week to the next."

For those of you who are FootballGuys subscribers, I recommend Matt Waldman's 2020 Running Back Guide and Sigmund Bloom's RB Tiers articles.

Note:  I primed the pump a little with backs I've seen go un-drafted this month but I am no expert by any means so all opinions are welcomed

It's going to be an interesting Week 1 - with no pre-season "reveal" - could be some real shockers happening.

And, as always, your mileage may vary.

CANDIDATES for the Season Changing - King Maker List - completely un-ranked:

[*]LAC - Joshua Kelley - Justin Jackson ?

[*]LAR -

[*]LV -

[*]MIA -

[*]MIN -

[*]NE - Damien Harris -

[*]NO -

[*]NYG -

[*]NYJ -

[*]PHI - Boston Scott ?

[*]PIT -

[*]SEA - Carlos Hyde

[*]SF -

[*]TB - Dare Ogunbowale - I mean, it's not LeSean McCoy right?

[*]TEN - Darrynton Evans

[*]WAS - Bryce Love - and I feel I have to mention Adrian Peterson 

Thoughts?  Opinions?

P.S. I want to give a shout out to  @SameSongNDance for starting this annual tradition back in 2016!

And I thank the following past prolific contributors not mentioned earlier  (If I forgot anyone I apologize in advance): 

@4th and Inches  - @Ack88 - @bicycle_seat_sniffer - @Buck Bradcanon - @BobbyLayne - @Casting Couch - @Chaka - @cloppbeast

@davearm - @Faust - @Football Jones - @hamsterdam - @hardcoredx - @Hot Sauce Guy - @Iceman03 - @IHEARTFF

@Ilov80s - @JFS171 - @joey - @leftcoastheel - @Long Ball Larry - @MindBomb - @Patrick the Pirate@pinkham13 - @Snorkelson

@SoBeDad@socrates - @Stompin' Tom Connors@Ted Lange as your Bartender - @The Dude@worrierking - @Wooderson

@zamboni
Love this thread

I definitely am interested in Chase Edmonds and Bryce Love. I think I like DeAndre Washington most out of the KC back-ups. I prefer Justin Jackson over Kelley in LA. 

Duke Johnson - Houston. As a Texans fan and DJ owner, I really think DJ is a boom/bust pick this year and drafted him in that lens. 

It’d be negligent given recent history to think DJ plays a full season though. I know Duke burned people recently, but Houston let Hyde go and Duke’s only other competition is a guy (Howell) with 10 total yards rushing in his career should something happen to DJ. 

@Faust have u seen Gibson go undrafted?
Not recently and certainly not in larger sized leagues (number of teams and number of roster spots are the key variables of course) - but in a few casual leagues with a smaller number of players rostered it certainly is possible.

I know of one league in particular where one owner was able to float enough conflicting information out there suggesting that it would be an RBBC situation on a bottom 5 NFL team and only Adrian Peterson was selected.

I love SD’s Josh Kelly. As Waldman has discussed at length, he’s excellent between the tackles and has good, quick feet. He elaborated on his podcast show how Kelly may find running in the NFL easier than in college. I can see Kelly eventually getting the Gordon role at some point this year, as Ekeler isn’t built to get 200 plus carries 

Guys like Mattison and Murray aren’t on the list because they have value and get drafted 
Exactly.  Although I think I'll add an "appendix" list for "Handcuffs that are King Makers".  Could be really valuable for Newbies in very short bench leagues.

Damien Harris isn't the guy for this list any more.  With each day he's looking more like the early down runner in ne.

Ilov80s said:
Also have to keep an eye on Deejay Dallas in Seattle
OK @Ilov80s - you got me on that one - never heard of him (but in this forum I always feel like a guppy) - what's your argument that Deejay Dallas is "one with the best combination of availability, upside and possibility of a big workload."

OK @Ilov80s - you got me on that one - never heard of him (but in this forum I always feel like a guppy) - what's your argument that Deejay Dallas is "one with the best combination of availability, upside and possibility of a big workload."
Preseason hype, seems to be boring but well rounded, Seahawks love to utilize a single RB and the competition there isn't very strong. Penny had a late season ACL. Travis Homer seems like a nothing. We know Carlos Hyde isn't exciting. Carson runs hard but he fumbles a lot and runs with the kind of style that could keep him getting hurt. 

Preseason hype, seems to be boring but well rounded, Seahawks love to utilize a single RB and the competition there isn't very strong. Penny had a late season ACL. Travis Homer seems like a nothing. We know Carlos Hyde isn't exciting. Carson runs hard but he fumbles a lot and runs with the kind of style that could keep him getting hurt. 
When Carroll starts preseason hyping somebody, look for an incumbent to lose their job. In this case, Hyde, because Hyde has never been much in the passing game. That's just my two cents. Unless Carson isn't ready to play Week One. Then you'll see a Hyde/Dallas combo. But I'm in total agreement about Carson and the bolded.  As for Penny, he injured his ACL Week 14 and had surgery that Carroll described as more extensive than your "normal" ACL tear. From Jan. 2, 2020:

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/02/rashaad-pennys-acl-surgery-required-additional-clean-up/

Penny suffered a torn ACL in Week 14 against the Rams, and coach Pete Carroll revealed that the surgery to repair the ACL required additional work.

“There was some stuff, yeah,” Carroll said on Wednesday. “There were some other things that they had to clean up and all that. It was more than just a simple ACL surgery, if it ever is simple.”

I’ll add a few to keep an eye on:

Jacksonville - many assume Armstead is the Fournette handcuff, and given Fournette’s history with the team and contract situation, I think anything is possible here. Devine Ozigbo looked like one of the best unheralded guys last preseason and has received some buzz in Jags camp while Armstead was on the COVID-19 list. I’m watching camp reports to see whether Ozigbo can pass Armstead on the depth chart. 

As others have mentioned, I’m curious whether Eno Benjamin can push Edmonds on the depth chart in Arizona.

I think Darrel Williams will have a bigger role early in KC than anyone is expecting, and I’m curious to see how things develop there if he performs. 

I’m very curious to see where some of the depth chart victims land (and maybe none of them land anywhere else). I’ll be watching Royce Freeman, Jordan Wilkins, Jaylen Samuels, Mike Boone, etc. Third on the depth chart in the final year of their deals doesn’t guarantee these guys are traded, but some teams may feel secure enough with a rookie addition to part with one of these guys. 

Quadree Ollison also belongs in the conversation for Atlanta. He’s getting buzz for having reshaped his body in the offseason, which is one of the oldest preseason cliches in the game, but it’s better than being fat and sloppy. One beat writer report from their scrimmage stated that Ollison got a lot more work behind Gurley than anticipated. Maybe it’s nothing, or maybe it’s something. 

Bloom mentioned on one of the recent Audible podcasts that Ollison was the back they drafted after bringing Dirk Koetter back to the team, so perhaps he’s the guy they feel invested in instead of Hill who’s valuable for special teams and depth. 

My guess is that Ito Smith has a Nyheim Hines type of role regardless of the primary back. If Gurley’s knee starts acting up, however, maybe Ollison is the guy they lean on. 

Ollison came into the league with essentially no passing game experience. RB's aren't typically redshirted; they either pop right away or they get forgotten about. Exceptions to every rule and I think he may be it. That Atlanta did nothing at RB this offseason (yes, I know they don't have cap space) other than swap out Freeman for Gurley got my attention as far as he's concerned. Ollison is a better pure runner than Hill and Ito, but to pass them on the depth chart he needs to be at least functional in the pass game.

I'm not interested in stashing Ito nor Hill in any format because I think we've seen that even with snaps they're limited. I don't know if Ollison is anything more, but unlike those two - he may.

ah, one of my favorite topics. :wub:  

Quadree Ollison also belongs in the conversation for Atlanta. He’s getting buzz for having reshaped his body in the offseason, which is one of the oldest preseason cliches in the game, but it’s better than being fat and sloppy. One beat writer report from their scrimmage stated that Ollison got a lot more work behind Gurley than anticipated. Maybe it’s nothing, or maybe it’s something. 

Bloom mentioned on one of the recent Audible podcasts that Ollison was the back they drafted after bringing Dirk Koetter back to the team, so perhaps he’s the guy they feel invested in instead of Hill who’s valuable for special teams and depth. 

My guess is that Ito Smith has a Nyheim Hines type of role regardless of the primary back. If Gurley’s knee starts acting up, however, maybe Ollison is the guy they lean on. 
And someone steals my nomination! :angry:

lol 

i treaded for Ollison in dynasty last year. I think he’s the best back on the team outside of a healthy Gurley, which we don’t know to be the case. 

i know Ito gets a lot of love, but Ollison could definitely get a big role if Gurley goes down. 

Good call, @JFS171  :thumbup:

When Carroll starts preseason hyping somebody, look for an incumbent to lose their job. In this case, Hyde, because Hyde has never been much in the passing game. That's just my two cents. Unless Carson isn't ready to play Week One. Then you'll see a Hyde/Dallas combo. But I'm in total agreement about Carson and the bolded.  As for Penny, he injured his ACL Week 14 and had surgery that Carroll described as more extensive than your "normal" ACL tear. From Jan. 2, 2020:

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/02/rashaad-pennys-acl-surgery-required-additional-clean-up/

Penny suffered a torn ACL in Week 14 against the Rams, and coach Pete Carroll revealed that the surgery to repair the ACL required additional work.

“There was some stuff, yeah,” Carroll said on Wednesday. “There were some other things that they had to clean up and all that. It was more than just a simple ACL surgery, if it ever is simple.”
I still like Penny as a potential second-half-of-the-season breakout candidate.  Carson is an injury risk, Hyde is serviceable, but uninspiring, Travis Homer has yet to break out, and may never be more than JAG, and DeeJay Dallas is an untested and unproven rookie 4th round pick.  Carson's medical profile is lengthy.  He tore an ACL in high school, was hindered by a sprained ankle throughout 2015, a broken thumb cut his college senior season short, his rookie season ended early with a broken ankle and last season was cut short after he broke his hip.  Carson is a courageous and talented runner who doesn't shy away from contact, but his violent running style exposes him to injuries.  Penny himself has his own list of injuries, and if there is one team where draft investment means very little, it is the Seahawks.  Nevertheless, Penny offered glimpses last season of the talent which prompted Seattle to invest a first round pick in him just two seasons ago.  Don't forget that as a senior at San Diego State, Penny ran for 2,248 yards and 23 touchdowns.  Those are ridiculous numbers!  He has rare speed for a back his size, and he has reliable hands and runs good routes.  One of the knocks on Penny coming into the NFL was that he would be slow to develop due to his inability to quickly absorb and process an NFL playbook, but it looked like he was turning a corner last season in that regard.  Penny can be had for a minimal investment in most leagues, and he could prove a valuable asset for a fantasy playoff run.

SF is rich at running back and Jerick McKinnon, whose role Hasty would otherwise be taking, only costs 925,000 dollars against the cap. Coleman costs a bunch, but it would seem passing down work goes to Hasty, McKinnon, and Wilson. Wilson is also, when healthy, their goal-line back.  McKinnon has impressed. Looks like Hasty to the practice squad, unless the cap is that daunting to SF. 

I still like Penny as a potential second-half-of-the-season breakout candidate.  Carson is an injury risk, Hyde is serviceable, but uninspiring, Travis Homer has yet to break out, and may never be more than JAG, and DeeJay Dallas is an untested and unproven rookie 4th round pick.  Carson's medical profile is lengthy.  He tore an ACL in high school, was hindered by a sprained ankle throughout 2015, a broken thumb cut his college senior season short, his rookie season ended early with a broken ankle and last season was cut short after he broke his hip.  Carson is a courageous and talented runner who doesn't shy away from contact, but his violent running style exposes him to injuries.  Penny himself has his own list of injuries, and if there is one team where draft investment means very little, it is the Seahawks.  Nevertheless, Penny offered glimpses last season of the talent which prompted Seattle to invest a first round pick in him just two seasons ago.  Don't forget that as a senior at San Diego State, Penny ran for 2,248 yards and 23 touchdowns.  Those are ridiculous numbers!  He has rare speed for a back his size, and he has reliable hands and runs good routes.  One of the knocks on Penny coming into the NFL was that he would be slow to develop due to his inability to quickly absorb and process an NFL playbook, but it looked like he was turning a corner last season in that regard.  Penny can be had for a minimal investment in most leagues, and he could prove a valuable asset for a fantasy playoff run.
Yeah, I was a big fan of Penny coming into the draft (though even I knew Seattle was taking a huge reach on him). I also agree he showed flashes and his efficiency was good when used The injury as Rock pointed out was late season and described as being particularly bad, not a routine injury. I have a hard time seeing him come back to 100% this season. 

SF is rich at running back and Jerick McKinnon, whose role Hasty would otherwise be taking, only costs 925,000 dollars against the cap. Coleman costs a bunch, but it would seem passing down work goes to Hasty, McKinnon, and Wilson. Wilson is also, when healthy, their goal-line back.  McKinnon has impressed. Looks like Hasty to the practice squad, unless the cap is that daunting to SF. 
Yeah, Hasty is probably an injury away from being an injury away but any RB in SF is worth keeping an eye on. 

Philadelphia: Lotto - Corey Clement
With Sanders nursing an injury, I like the idea of taking a long look at Philly's reserve backs.  Boston Scott may not be built for every-down work, so we could see some sort of a rotation if Sanders misses time.  Aside from Scott and Clement, the Eagles have Elijah Holyfield, who might not be "the real deal".  What has anyone heard about rookie Michael Warren?  He is the one guy behind Miles Sanders who has the size to punish defenders.

Ah yes, one of our List perennials.

added
LOL I almost feel like if we can make a statement like that than it probably means it won't be happening for that player. Especially in a place like Philly, where there's been a lot of opportunity in the backfield. 

What are you seeing that supports this @JFS171 ?
He started camp running with the 1s.

https://twitter.com/adamteicher/status/1295026003497160706?s=21

Last year he started some games for them, and just when he was getting rolling he got hurt and put on IR for the rest of the season. I specifically remember how much he was trusted in the Baltimore game.  He might be their best pass protector (something they’re not even asking CEH to do right now).  

https://twitter.com/robbob17/status/1295418104353357825?s=21

https://twitter.com/pgsween/status/1297573727371243521?s=21

All of those aren’t beat reports, but some are, and the others source beat reports. Just seems like a drumbeat, and as I previously mentioned, Washington is on a 1-year $1MM deal. Williams is also the biggest back by far. Just seems like if you’re looking at that room of RBs there’s one hoss and three satellite guys. Not to say the satellite guys can’t run inside (I know the BMIs), but he’s noticeably bigger. 

I think the coaching staff trusts him. We’ll see how much they put on CEH’s plate right away. 

Panthers RB Mike Davis has stood out as a "duel threat" in training camp, emerging as the clear backup to Christian McCaffrey. 

Panthers HC Matt Rhule complimented Davis' camp performance, noting that the veteran was "running" and "getting open." Having never received more than 112 carries in a season, Davis definitely wouldn't inherit McCaffrey's workload if the league's best running back missed time this season. But Davis, by all accounts, is ahead of Reggie Bonnafon in the backfield pecking order. 

RELATED: 

Christian McCaffrey

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 25, 2020, 9:17 AM ET

Mike Davis as the handcuff and Reggie Bonnafon as the lotto ticket according to Rotoworld and the Athletic.

good thread. gus edwards would need to see ingram and dobins get hurt to have any real value this year... and even when edwards was getting carries in his career he was tough to trust week to week.

interesting taek on damian harris. if michel is healthy and available it seems hard to believe they would not work him in to mix.... though it was hard to believe last year how much work michel got when he looked so terrible running the ball. so for harris to have any value he'd have to take the full michel role with michel not playing... because burkhead when active will be in mix and james white is still the pass catching back.

Yeah, Hasty is probably an injury away from being an injury away but any RB in SF is worth keeping an eye on. 
In 2018 San Fran went from AlMo to Breida to Mostert back to Breida to Jeff Wilson back to Breida one more time before finishing where they started - with AlMo.

In 2018 San Fran went from AlMo to Breida to Mostert back to Breida to Jeff Wilson back to Breida one more time before finishing where they started - with AlMo.
Was it ever predictable? That is my concern with investing anything with SF RBs. Can we predict which games Mostert has a big role and which game it's more Coleman or someone else?

Users who are viewing this thread