What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rookie Draft (IDP / Offensive) Dynasty (1 Viewer)

IronEagles

Footballguy
Hi all,

Need some help on mixed rookie draft.

i know it depends on how IDP is scores but anyone have any advice as a general rule of thumb what round or where your first pick IDP should sit in a draft?

especially this year as seems to be some hot talent in IDP, plus I’m pick 8 so most RB, WR probably gone. 

Appreciate advice, thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Need some help on mixed rookie draft.

i know it depends on how IDP is scores but anyone have any advice as a general rule of thumb what round or where your first pick IDP should sit in a draft?

especially this year as seems to be some hot talent in IDP, plus I’m pick 8 so most RB, WR probably gone. 

Appreciate advice, thanks in advance.
Hey! Another newbie! It depends on your league and your scoring. I was told to go back and study other drafts from the past in the league I was concerned with. That way, I could find out owner and league tendencies. We have a tackle-heavy league. I don't know what yours is. I can tell you that nobody went in the first round on the defensive side of the ball in our league. They have before, though. This year's class is really deep at WR and RB. I'm surprised you think everything will be gone. Guys going at an ADP of like 1.10 are potential starters on their pro teams this very year. Anyway, best of luck.

i know it depends on how IDP is scores but anyone have any advice as a general rule of thumb
You answered your own question - so much depends on format, competition, and now league hosting site too. There is no road map to follow, but I think that's what makes IDP dyno's great. It's on you to navigate the path based on the (lack of) information available. 

To give you a little point of reference, I play in a PPR league with IDPs (45 man rosters & start 18 total players , 11 of them are IDPs).  Starting requirements & scoring rules are too complex to explain, but the IDP scoring is big play scoring (ie: 6 pts per sack & DL = 3 points per tackle, while LBs & DBs get 2 pts per tackle), Offense PPR scoring (is .5 pts for RBs., 1 pts for WR,  &1.5 pts for TEs), also IDP stars score about the same as offensive stars.  My league is a mixture of sharks and casual ff players.  It is important to review the drafting habits of your competitors if possible, because there usually is a surprise or two during our drafts. There was one or two surprises during this year's draft!

Chase Young went 1.1 ( which is a big reach), then there was a big run on the big name RBs & WRs, then the 8th pick was Joe Burrow (that team was hurting for QB depth). then I chose 9th, I really really struggled over a choice of Isaiah Simmons or Justin Jefferson, (I finally chose Simmons because of his big play potential, and my research had some people questioning if Jefferson had some weaknesses if he was not playing in the slot. I was looking to swing for the fences on my 1.09 pick).

I strongly concur with what the others are saying (they are very knowledgeable ff people), knowing your competition and the basics of your drafting situation is a big plus for you.

Also look to draft  the best player available if you play in a dynasty league, that is usually better than drafting for need.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
To give you a little point of reference, I play in a PPR league with IDPs (45 man rosters & start 18 total players , 11 of them are IDPs).  Starting requirements & scoring rules are too complex to explain, but the IDP scoring is big play scoring (ie: 6 pts per sack & DL = 3 points per tackle, while LBs & DBs get 2 pts per tackle), Offense PPR scoring (is .5 pts for RBs., 1 pts for WR,  &1.5 pts for TEs), also IDP stars score about the same as offensive stars. 
big play scoring is typically 4+pts per sack to 1 pt tackle.  Your scoring is 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 depending on position.  That's a fairly balanced scoring system.  Your upping the points does raise the IDP compared to the offensive side which is really the most important part for this particular question.

If the IDP's score equally to the offensive players then that elevates their draft capital and will increase their need to be drafted higher.  

Just like any rookie draft the key is to get players that will be fantasy starters.  Put in the time for a combined draft board based on your scoring (look at historical finishes while also taking in the variability scores) to rank players together across all positions.  Factor in when IDP players typically start going off the board (my league is usually happens around 1.05 ish).  If you have a good combined draft board you should follow that and not worry about positions.  Take the guys you think are the best available when its your pick.  If you hit on them the value will come regardless of position.

Users who are viewing this thread