What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 NBA Playoffs Thread - Haters arguing that it took Lebron 10 Finals to win 4 titles (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I do think there is a certain level of rigging done by the NBA I actually think it's far less this year than ever.  If anything the league would have salivated over a Lakers vs Clippers western confernce finals.   On the Eastern side--being that the league is driven by superstars--they would have absolutely loved to have Milwaukee in the ECF to promote Giannis.  No matter who is in the finals--the ratings are going to be bad.  Casual fans aren't going to watch.  
Not every game is rigged.  It's certainly better now than the Stern years.  But it will be this year, and it was when the Lakers "beat" Sacramento.

Celts deserve this loss. 17-7 in turnovers now I think. Take care of the ball and you put yourself in a place to win

The Celtics are doing everything they can to throw this game away.

Unbelievable number of turnovers.

Stevens really needs to get a handle on this team...ton of talent but you can not allow them to play like it's the third game of the day at an AAU tournament.

Just jumping in here to say I am really mad a B-Rad Stevens.  What the crap is he doing this series?  Gordon as our center?  I can't wait to see Time Lord's plus minus.  Awful.  

Led the team tonight at +10.
Mother$&#@#$

I actually sent Brad an email about this after game two.  We gotta stop that Bam roll and limit Heat on the offensive glass. Robert stopped it cold. 🤬

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be in the minority here--but I put this loss on Tatum.  While I fully admit he had a monster second half--the lead dog on a team cannot be a complete non factor for an entire half of a must win game.   Even if he didn't have any points--he still could have provided some sort of leadership or riling of his troops.  Boston looked completely lost in the first half and as the leader of the team--I feel like he has an obligation to prevent that from happening.   They woke up a bit in the second half but it ended up not being enough.   

I'm going to be in the minority here--but I put this loss on Tatum.  While I fully admit he had a monster second half--the lead dog on a team cannot be a complete non factor for an entire half of a must win game.   Even if he didn't have any points--he still could have provided some sort of leadership or riling of his troops.  Boston looked completely lost in the first half and as the leader of the team--I feel like he has an obligation to prevent that from happening.   They woke up a bit in the second half but it ended up not being enough.   
He might be the statistical leader, but Smart is the team leader and I'd put Walker at 2 and Brown at 3.  I don't think Tatum does much rah rah or rallying of the troops.

That's the other half of the problem.  And I'll even raise you.  He's been a really bad facilitator this series. His numbers are good, but he's trying to be Kobe.  He is so sloppy and undisciplined, and it's killing team flow.  He holds the ball until the shot clock is almost kicked, and then passes to Theis for an impossible shot.  He's dribbled the ball off of his foot about seven times this series, and his decision making has been weak in general.  Don't get me started about boxing out.  Brown has been much better, especially late.  What a mess.  I'm also convinced Smart was going after him in the locker room, and Brown stepped in.  

He might be the statistical leader, but Smart is the team leader and I'd put Walker at 2 and Brown at 3.  I don't think Tatum does much rah rah or rallying of the troops.
That needs to change.  I think all of the Celtics would say that Tatum is their primary player.  A primary player has to provide something--even if it's just leadership when he doesn't have it going on.   Look at Jimmy Butler---he wasn't the best player on his team tonight--heck tonight--its arguable that Herro, Bam, and Dragic all contributed more--but the dude stayed engaged--he kept his team engaged.  I didn't see that at all from Tatum.  With that said--Tatum is super young and has room to grow.  Secondly--I don't know if this series is over yet.  If Bam misses time due to his wrist/arm issue--the Celts could easily win the next two games. 

That's the other half of the problem.  And I'll even raise you.  He's been a really bad facilitator this series. His numbers are good, but he's trying to be Kobe.  He is so sloppy and undisciplined, and it's killing team flow.  He holds the ball until the shot clock is almost kicked, and then passes to Theis for an impossible shot.  He's dribbled the ball of his foot about seven times this series, and his decision making has been weak in general.  Don't get me started about boxing out.  Brown has been much better, especially late.  What a mess.
Trying to emulate Kobe is a dangerous game.  As great as he was, he could get his team beat single handedly at times.  If you don't have the complete package (and a HOF center) that style can be a net negative in the playoffs. 

That needs to change.  I think all of the Celtics would say that Tatum is their primary player.  A primary player has to provide something--even if it's just leadership when he doesn't have it going on.   Look at Jimmy Butler---he wasn't the best player on his team tonight--heck tonight--its arguable that Herro, Bam, and Dragic all contributed more--but the dude stayed engaged--he kept his team engaged.  I didn't see that at all from Tatum.  With that said--Tatum is super young and has room to grow.  Secondly--I don't know if this series is over yet.  If Bam misses time due to his wrist/arm issue--the Celts could easily win the next two games. 
Tatum isn't going to be a leader.  Not on or off the floor.  Marcus is now, and Brown will be the heir.  Tatum is self absorbed imo.  Great shooter though.

You don't rely on 22 year old's to be your team leader...you can count on one hand the amount of players in NBA history that were equipped to do that at age 22...hopefully Tatum will get there but that time is not now.

Trying to emulate Kobe is a dangerous game.  As great as he was, he could get his team beat single handedly at times.  If you don't have the complete package (and a HOF center) that style can be a net negative in the playoffs. 
No doubt.  But even more, their games are different.  I feel that Tatum is a much better and efficient shooter than Kobe was, but he doesn't have the strength or dog in him to slash and play D.  He should just be Tatum...or Tyler Hero.

I really like Smart but he can not be your leader because he's crazy (always was and always will be)...that crazy is a big part of what makes him so effective but that is not the personality of your team leader.

I'm starting to think Brad is under orders from Ainge not to play Time Lord too much.  Gotta be a salary cap thing.  They know he's a stud, but can't pay him max money.  That the only thing that explains his handling of Time Lord this series.

I really like Smart but he can not be your leader because he's crazy (always was and always will be)...that crazy is a big part of what makes him so effective but that is not the personality of your team leader.
He's not crazy at all.  You gotta turn down the TNT and listen to the locals.  That's such B.S. honestly.  He's an all time Celtic IMO.  Super cool dude.  Him and Lowry was such a great battle of leaders imo.

That was cool when they interviewed Smart with the headset during shoot around.

That dude on the clippers is crazy though, lol.

I'm starting to think Brad is under orders from Ainge not to play Time Lord too much.  Gotta be a salary cap thing.  They know he's a stud, but can't pay him max money.  That the only thing that explains his handling of Time Lord this series.
Meh, he's inexperienced and has been prone to mistakes all season.  A good stretch doesn't turn him into Tim Duncan.  He stayed within himself and got them a chance to win.  I don't see any way he plays at all at the end.  Grant William's would play before Rob.

He's not crazy at all.  You gotta turn down the TNT and listen to the locals.  That's such B.S. honestly.  He's an all time Celtic IMO.  Super cool dude.  Him and Lowry was such a great battle of leaders imo.

That was cool when they interviewed Smart with the headset during shoot around.

That dude on the clippers is crazy though, lol.
He has a screw loose and it's part of what makes him so good...love his heart and his hustle is second to none but he aint all there.

He has a screw loose and it's part of what makes him so good...love his heart and his hustle is second to none but he aint all there.
No way.  Hard disagree there.  What has he EVER done that was even weird?  I never seen him take a swing on anyone in six years.  He's a stud.  And Time Lord changes the game whenever he is in.  It's obvious to anyone watching.  What mistakes did Time Lord make?  Grant is undersized, and Miami is a bad matchup for him.  He can hit three, but we need to protect the rim to win this series.

No way.  Hard disagree there.  What has he EVER done that was even weird?  I never seen him take a swing on anyone in six years.  He's a stud.  And Time Lord changes the game whenever he is in.  It's obvious to anyone watching.  What mistakes did Time Lord make?  Grant is undersized, and Miami is a bad matchup for him.  He can hit three, but we need to protect the rim to win this series.
We will have to agree to disagree about Smart...I love him but I don't want that personality as "the" team leader...I do want every player to play as hard as him though.

Not sure what the deal with Williams is but it just seems Danny and Brad are intent on trying to win without the help of a big man sometimes.

We will have to agree to disagree about Smart...I love him but I don't want that personality as "the" team leader...I do want every player to play as hard as him though.

Not sure what the deal with Williams is but it just seems Danny and Brad are intent on trying to win without the help of a big man sometimes.
Out of curiosity, what personality do you want as a team leader?  Ironically, Marcus is like a nice guy version of Kobe.  They both had that edge and desire to win.  Their play was much more similar to each other that Tatum and Kobe's.

Dragic and Bam have been big the entire post-season. Bam said his wrist is good - if not, Miami doesn't have a chance. 
Theis, Williams, Kantar, or even Hay can't defend the Bam roll.  We will get eliminated very soon if we don't stop it.  

We kinda got lucky tonight.  Dragic missed some wide open threes he usually makes.

Out of curiosity, what personality do you want as a team leader?  
Bergeron, Chara, Bruschi, Light, Harrison and definitely Willie McGinest...fiery but composed, someone who can settle people down in crazy situations...I just think Smart is way too emotional and can't control it at times (Rodney could be crazy but he was beyond respected by his teammates)...again, I am not knocking him because it is what makes him so good.

Bergeron, Chara, Bruschi, Light, Harrison and definitely Willie McGinest...fiery but composed, someone who can settle people down in crazy situations...I just think Smart is way too emotional and can't control it at times...again, I am not knocking him because it is what makes him so good.
I'm just not understanding.  I watched that Clippers dude lose his mind and get out of control, that's crazy.  Smart is the most disciplined player the Cetics have imo.  He's always been super clutch too.   I can't think of one example where Smart has ever lost control in a game.  I have been a coach for a long time.  I would give almost anything to have a kid like Smart come along.  He's a man.  And a throwback.  Pierce had that fire, but wasn't as disciplined imo. Marcus is calculating.  And he makes everyone better when he's out there.  I would follow that dude anywhere.

Your list is interesting.  Rodney Harrison was dirty, especially as a Charger.  I'm not sure how much of a leader he was in New England.  But maybe.  

Herro is one bad mother.  

The playoffs have been a total Kentucky infomercial.

Anthony Davis

Jamal Murry

Bam & Herro.  

Go cats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread