What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Failed Sitcoms from the 80s/90s (1 Viewer)

Hov34

Eephus's Great Great Great Love Child
Went down a Youtube rabbit hole this morning of "New Fall Shows" in the 80s early 90s.  Some I remembered, but others I had no idea existed.  Some ran several seasons, but most were one and done.

What are some "Failed" sitcoms/TV Shows you remember or don't remember from that era.

Here are some I have no recollection of:

Just The Ten of Us (1988)

Family Man (1988)

Star of the Family (1982)

The Family Man (1990)

(These all look like the inspiration for "Too Many Cooks")

Last edited by a moderator:
Without looking up on the links or IMDB, I remember Just the Ten of Us (Growing Pains spin-off based off of a high school coach character) and Herman's Head (had Yeardley Smith, aka Lisa Simpson).

Yes, my brain is a bastion of useless knowledge.

As OP mentioned TV shows in addition to sitcoms, The Dana Carvey Show comes to mind.  I thought it was pretty funny, but everyone just seems to remember the Bill Clinton breastfeeding bit.

Just The Ten Of Us - Would have had a better chance if it was "Just The Five Of Us" and the show focused solely on the 3 hot daughters (Heather Langenkamp, Brooke Theiss and Jamie Luner). Bill Kirchenbauer deserved better.

Family Man (1988) - I have no memory of this.

The Family Man (1990) - I have only a vague memory of Al (from Happy Days) as the wacky uncle/neighbor character.

Star Of The Family - never heard of it. Brian Dennehy must've really needed a paycheck.

Herman's Head - underrated show. The girl who played Sensitivity (Molly Hagen) was HOT!

It's your move
The show probably doesn't hold up for adults, but it was the perfect show for 13-year-olds. It paved the way for The Simpsons and every other show with irreverent humor.

I still remember the Game Show episode after all these years.

Drexell’s Class, Fish Police

ETA The Royal Family - Redd Foxx died suddenly just a few episodes in. Hard to bounce back when you lose your series lead so early on. From Wikipedia:

The Royal Family was intended as a comeback vehicle for Foxx, who had not had a successful television series since the cancellation of Sanford and Son in 1977. Ratings for the early episodes were high. On October 11, 1991 Foxx suffered a massive heart attack and died while rehearsing. Joshua Rich of Entertainment Weekly later wrote, "It was an end so ironic that for a brief moment cast mates figured Foxx—whose 1970s TV character often faked heart attacks—was kidding when he grabbed a chair and fell to the floor."

Without looking up on the links or IMDB, I remember Just the Ten of Us (Growing Pains spin-off based off of a high school coach character) and Herman's Head (had Yeardley Smith, aka Lisa Simpson).

Yes, my brain is a bastion of useless knowledge.
Hank Azaria also. The hot on again/off again girlfriend was also Ross’ ex-wife, mother of his child, lesbian on Friends (had to look her up: Jane Sibbett.)

I remember really liking The Single Guy with Johnathan Silverman. Plus it was my first ever introduction to the timeless Ming-Na Wen. 😍

Head of the Class was not bad for the time
That doesn't really fit the title of the thread though.  I don't think anyone considers this a failure per say.  It passed the key 100 episode mark, which back in the day was an important number that allowed shows to move into syndication and continue to make money.

I just noticed that HBO Max is planning to reboot the series.

Paired with Cleopatra 2525 iirc. What’s that, Voice? Turrible.  :lol:
Yep, they aired together until Jack was cancelled. Then they actually turned Cleopatra 2525 into an hour long show! What a premise... a stripper is cryogenically frozen after complications from a boob job and is woken up 500 years later by two female freedom fighters! Oh the absurdity!

I kind of miss these Xena/Hercules inspired low budget tv shows, that was one heck of a ridiculous but fun genre

Yep!!! That was my first thought seeing the title 🤣

:hifive:
The blonde was also smokin' but you just got a feeling she was a "the b-word" while the redhead would have been... well... lots of fun.  13-year old me absolutely loved this show.

ETA: Title says sitcoms, so these don't fit, but I'll leave the post.

I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi shows, almost every one I watch gets cancelled

80s-

Battlestar Galactica (78) (1 season) - Only 1 season, what a shame.

Flash (1 season)

Voyagers! (1 season)  -  Man I loved this.  Was so disappointed this was cancelled.

Buck Rogers (2 seasons) - So much awesomeness.

00's-

Veritas the Quest (1 season) - Really liked this, Gulf War happened and it was never shown on US TV again.  Caught up on youtube years later as it was shown in Australia.   Cobie Smulders was so hot.

The 4400.  (4 seasons) This one actually lasted but went downhill in seasons 3/4.

Journeyman (1 season) - Thought this was excellent, still bummed it was not renewed.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2 seasons) - Another favorite.

Flashforward (1 season) - Was liking this, cancelled.

ETA: Title says sitcoms, so these don't fit, but I'll leave the post.

I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi shows, almost every one I watch gets cancelled

80s-

Battlestar Galactica (78) (1 season) - Only 1 season, what a shame.

Flash (1 season)

Voyagers! (1 season)  -  Man I loved this.  Was so disappointed this was cancelled.

Buck Rogers (2 seasons) - So much awesomeness.

00's-

Veritas the Quest (1 season) - Really liked this, Gulf War happened and it was never shown on US TV again.  Caught up on youtube years later as it was shown in Australia.   Cobie Smulders was so hot.

The 4400.  (4 seasons) This one actually lasted but went downhill in seasons 3/4.

Journeyman (1 season) - Thought this was excellent, still bummed it was not renewed.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2 seasons) - Another favorite.

Flashforward (1 season) - Was liking this, cancelled.
Loved it too. I hadn’t thought of it forever til about a year ago I googled it because randomly thought of it and discovered the guy who played Phinneas Bog killed himself accidentally.  I’d never heard about it before then.

Yep, they aired together until Jack was cancelled. Then they actually turned Cleopatra 2525 into an hour long show! What a premise... a stripper is cryogenically frozen after complications from a boob job and is woken up 500 years later by two female freedom fighters! Oh the absurdity!

I kind of miss these Xena/Hercules inspired low budget tv shows, that was one heck of a ridiculous but fun genre

Totally agree, and if you like that, check out "Monkey" on Netflix. It's a show out of Australia with a major Xena/Hercules vibe based on the Monkey King lore out of China.

Users who are viewing this thread