What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet’s political thoughts and commentary- back in here until the election is done (2 Viewers)

Tim put a quote in this thread. The quote itself was all he put from MP. No context. The quote itself is not unreasonable. If it was used as some further plot, well how would we know that? None of that was copied and pasted. In this thread all we got was the quote. 
The full was...

I personally don't think covid-19 is as dangerous as we're led to believe. I dont think schools and businesses should be closed over this. That is doing more harm than good imo.

People going to the rallies know the risk and made the same determination. People should be allowed to assemble. Same thing with all the protests or marches. Was the women's march a political statement that endarged lives or was it applauded?

The full was...

I personally don't think covid-19 is as dangerous as we're led to believe. I dont think schools and businesses should be closed over this. That is doing more harm than good imo.

People going to the rallies know the risk and made the same determination. People should be allowed to assemble. Same thing with all the protests or marches. Was the women's march a political statement that endarged lives or was it applauded?
Study shows 700 Trump rally goers believed to have died from Covid.

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-coronavirus-rallies-spread-infections-death-study-2020-10?amp

Businesses forced to be closed...probably not depending upon n the business and how they act.  Schools seem to be closing left and right due to numbers on their districts.  Ive heard of many that open only to have to close for a period of time later.  Glad ours had the option to just stay home (and most have delayed opening back as numbers surge).  Thankful mine are just used to working at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Study shows 700 Trump rally goers believed to have died from Covid.

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-coronavirus-rallies-spread-infections-death-study-2020-10?amp

Businesses forced to be closed...probably not depending upon n the business and how they act.  Schools seem to be closing left and right due to numbers on their districts.  Ive heard of many that open only to have to close for a period of time later.  Glad ours had the option to just stay home (and most have delayed opening back as numbers surge).  Thankful mine are just used to working at home.
The study specifically says that the deaths arent linked to attendees.

These are county deaths after a Trump Rally comes through and it doesnt look like it ties deaths directly to a rally.  There are thousands of factors in play that studies can't reflect. 

These are county deaths after a Trump Rally comes through and it doesnt look like it ties deaths directly to a rally.  There are thousands of factors in play that studies can't reflect. 
Yeah, far more likely that location is correlated with attendance at rallies and lax behavior in everyday life.  Unlikely that this is a direct result of just attending rallies.

OK I have been pretty rock solid confident about a Biden victory all throughout the summer and fall, completely different from my feelings 4 years ago when I was nervous as hell the whole time...

...until just now. That Des Moines poll...it’s just one state, and it could be an outlier, but I have to admit it’s causing me to be on edge for the first time. 

OK I have been pretty rock solid confident about a Biden victory all throughout the summer and fall, completely different from my feelings 4 years ago when I was nervous as hell the whole time...

...until just now. That Des Moines poll...it’s just one state, and it could be an outlier, but I have to admit it’s causing me to be on edge for the first time. 
That's one poll. Two polls yesterday had it as one point race. A single poll doesn't tell the whole story.

Agreed. And I really hate making ANY assumptions about where someone contracted Covid unless the evidence is extremely cut and dry (which is rare.) 

That being said, 

1. Its stupid of Trump supporters to attend rallies and stand shoulder to shoulder without masks. They’re taking risks with their health and their families health and being foolish about it. Shame on them, and if they’re going to act this way it shouldn’t be up to them. 

2. Shame on the President for not forcibly discouraging such behavior. It’s not enough to claim that he doesn’t encourage it; he should discourage it in every speech he makes. Personally if it were me I couldn’t live with myself if I thought that people were taking this sort of risk on my behalf. 

I know. But it’s an A+ poll so it gives me pause. 
Yep.  But Iowa is pretty conservative, and again, it’s just one poll.  Nobody should react to a single poll.  None of us is a polling expert (as far as I’ve seen in here at least).

If 538’s odds begin to shift materially, I’ll start to worry.

I've explained my position that I believe the cure is becoming worse than the disease. 
This is a fairly common sentiment, but believing it relies upon a bunch of assumptions about the health and economic consequences of COVID with/without current public health measures. Rather than putting words on your keyboard, can you elaborate why you think this way?

How do you reconcile your beliefs with policies adopted by countries who have less deaths and economic disruption from COVID? 

Well, Tim, in retrospect it was a good idea you started this thread as Joe just shut down The Trump Years thread, which since 2017 was about the only thread where we could post news related to Trump, his administration and the GOP.  I guess a good portion of that will come here now (the alternative being starting a new thread every single time there is something that is Trump discussion worthy).

That's one poll. Two polls yesterday had it as one point race. A single poll doesn't tell the whole story.
I know. But it’s an A+ poll so it gives me pause. 
Pollster ratings are based on methodology, not accuracy. 

In 2016, only one polling company came close to predicting Trump's 9-point win in Iowa, and they were rated C-minus. Meanwhile, two B-rated polls showed Clinton ahead. :lol:

I'm reading the study on my phone, which is a challenge, but this is what I've made of it so far. 

The projections are based on 2 different controls. Comparable counties without Trump rallies and earlier non-rally events in the affected counties. When the data across the 18 rally counties is combined, there is a significant increase in cases of between 150 to 500 per hundred thousand (95% confidence interval). Two counties in Wisconsin, Winnebago and Marathon strongly support an association between a rally and increase in cases. This may be the best type of analysis that can be done without use DNA and GPS type contact tracing.  

The Trump campaign reply is something about First Amendment rights. I think Trump missed a marketing opportunity for MAGA masks early on in the campaign.

I know trump 2016 voters that are voting for Biden. I know 2016 Trump voters that are voting for trump. I know 2016 3rd party voters that are voting biden. I know 2016 non voters that are voting biden. 

I dont know any 2016 dem voters, 2016 non voters, or 2016 3rd party that are going Trump. I dont see how that position would be very common. With turnout looking so high I dont see how this is anything other than a wallop. 

This is a fairly common sentiment, but believing it relies upon a bunch of assumptions about the health and economic consequences of COVID with/without current public health measures. Rather than putting words on your keyboard, can you elaborate why you think this way?

How do you reconcile your beliefs with policies adopted by countries who have less deaths and economic disruption from COVID? 
I think the impact on student learning is hurting a whole generation of children. Some kids haven't been in a classroom since March and it shows. 

I spend time working with my children and it has paid off for them. I see other kids in my children's zoom classes that clearly have been left behind. There are kids in third grade who cant do basic addition and it limits what the teacher can teach the rest of the class when a quarter of the kids never mastered 2nd grade material.

There is a study out there that estimates lower income and minority communities will be hit even harder. They lack resources and stability. The dropout rate will skyrocket (already has with NC virtual) and those kids historically dont return to school after dropping out.

When you consider the health risk to people under 18, it seems silly to me that children arent in school. Yes, I understand teachers and staff could be more at risk and that is something I'm sure we can work through better than we are currently.

So yes, we are sacrificing a year or two of our children's education and on the brink of record drop out numbers for a disease that is mainly deadly to the elderly and those with other health conditions. 

Scientists were saying the US could lose 2.2 million people to COVID in one estimate.  So yeah, I don't think the US is losing 2 million people over this.

COVID is not very deadly to healthy people under 50. 

Maybe I just need to know how deadly you think this is.
The 2.2 million was the high end estimate if NO disease mitigation occurred - ie., the worst case scenario. The 200K+ deaths we currently have isn’t nearly as high, but our death rate greatly exceeds many (most) other developed countries, who’ve been more consistent and effective with infection control measures.

And while younger people aren’t likely to die from COVID, that doesn’t make the death toll any less impressive. COVID-19, a new disease, is a top 3 cause of death in the US already, and probably will be the #2 specific deadly diagnosis by year’s end, behind heart attacks, but ahead of every other infection and type of cancer, heart failure, emphysema, stroke, diabetes, etc. Moreover, you’re completely dismissing potential long term health impacts in COVID survivors.

How deadly would COVID need to be before you’d take it more seriously? Number one cause of death for every age group? 

As an aside, I also am not particularly risk averse, participating in a lot of outdoor activities most people consider “crazy”. But knowing the numbers and seeing the disease at work, I can assure it is every bit as bad as advertised.

I know trump 2016 voters that are voting for Biden. I know 2016 Trump voters that are voting for trump. I know 2016 3rd party voters that are voting biden. I know 2016 non voters that are voting biden. 

I dont know any 2016 dem voters, 2016 non voters, or 2016 3rd party that are going Trump. I dont see how that position would be very common. With turnout looking so high I dont see how this is anything other than a wallop. 
I really appreciate you because you’re one of the few people on either side who is willing to offer political analysis that in some cases might be opposed to that which you want to have happen- @Gr00vus is another guy willing to do that. Unfortunately you guys tend to be few and far between. Most people are prejudiced by what they want to have happen much of the time- I know I am. 

I think the impact on student learning is hurting a whole generation of children. Some kids haven't been in a classroom since March and it shows. 

I spend time working with my children and it has paid off for them. I see other kids in my children's zoom classes that clearly have been left behind. There are kids in third grade who cant do basic addition and it limits what the teacher can teach the rest of the class when a quarter of the kids never mastered 2nd grade material.

There is a study out there that estimates lower income and minority communities will be hit even harder. They lack resources and stability. The dropout rate will skyrocket (already has with NC virtual) and those kids historically dont return to school after dropping out.

When you consider the health risk to people under 18, it seems silly to me that children arent in school. Yes, I understand teachers and staff could be more at risk and that is something I'm sure we can work through better than we are currently.

So yes, we are sacrificing a year or two of our children's education and on the brink of record drop out numbers for a disease that is mainly deadly to the elderly and those with other health conditions. 
I understand your concerns, but you’re effectively relying on a “gut feeling” that keeping kids out of school will have disastrous long term consequences. I believe kids are pretty resilient, and think some sort of hybrid in-person + remote learning can still fulfill their educational needs. While the socialization aspect is tough, I don’t think more time with family and social circle “bubbles” will leave a generation of kids permanently scarred. Heck, a large percentage of their time was being spent on-line pre-pandemic anyway.

All that being said, that’s just my best guess, with no good data to support it, or refute your concerns. The COVID death statistics are real, however, and one must also consider the consequences of the child’s family members, possibly to include parents, succumbing to the virus.

These are reasonable concerns. As someone with several people close to me in the education field I don’t disagree with you at all. Yes there should have been, and still should be, alternatives to a full shut down approach and we haven’t come close to exploring those. On the other hand, President Trump’s position of “Open the schools up now!” without thought or consequence is wholly irresponsible, like so much else of what he has proposed throughout this pandemic. And we have not given nearly enough money to schools so that they can deal with this situation- specifically for that I blame Republicans and I think that blame is justified since school funding has been in the Democratic stimulus bills and not in the Republican ones. 
Finally with regard to your last sentence: you keep implying that those of us who aren’t elderly or have health conditions should be able to live like normal throughout this pandemic. But we can’t. As I pointed out before we can’t segregate those at risk from the rest of us, and even if we could we still don’t have room in our hospitals for all of those who would get ill if we tried that approach. Covid is a risk to the entire society. 

Well, Tim, in retrospect it was a good idea you started this thread as Joe just shut down The Trump Years thread, which since 2017 was about the only thread where we could post news related to Trump, his administration and the GOP.  I guess a good portion of that will come here now (the alternative being starting a new thread every single time there is something that is Trump discussion worthy).
I have no complaints against @Joe Bryant. I don’t always agree with him (and he agrees with me even less!) but he’s trying to keep this place safe for discussion and debate with less acrimony and trolling. I support that effort. 

Iowa is a pipe dream for Biden. A last minute shift of this degree is worth raising an eyebrow over, but I don't think it's the canary in the coalmine. I think it's dragging things more towards where they "should have" been. Even before this 538 had Iowa at like 56% Trump.  Up until a month ago Iowa was pretty steady in the mid to high 60 percent degree of probability for Trump at 538.

The 1st canary in the coalmine for me would be NC. I think we'll know a lot from how that state goes, problem is they're going to count mail in votes received anytime before Nov 12 (as long as they're postmarked on the 3rd or early).

I kinda want to just slip into a nicey comfy coma for a couple of weeks and wake up when most of the dust has settled.

To provide some anecdotal evidence for your anecdotal evidence. I live in a community in Southern California that’s pretty red.  My wife and I have a five-year-old daughter so we have the typical large circle of kid parent friends. Over half of them, 5 or 6 families, are Trump supporters through and through. MAGA since day one.  Every single one of them refuses to wear masks ever, which in Southern California is very odd as in general mask use is very high around here. Almost all of them think Covid is massively overblown or is a fraud that will disappear next Wednesday. And when they do talk about it they talk about Trump “dominating Covid” so how bad could it really be.  My wife went out to Dinner for her birthday recently with five of the moms, four of them are Trump supporters and refused to wear a masks.  They had to spend quite some time to find a restaurant that would allow them in and had to sit on the patio without masks.  Mind you they were out for my wife’s birthday who is a mask wearer, god forbid they make the exception and go to the restaurant she wanted to and just wear a mask for 2 mins while walking in, but I digress....  either way my point there’s a lot of them out there.  
Right, so these 5 or 6 people stand out like a sore thumb.  It's not like they would be the only Trump supporters around.  It's foolish to think that the majority of Trump voters aren't wearing masks, distancing, etc.  I'd say your own observation here would prove that.  I never denied there are a few out there who believe it's a hoax or something to that effect but that's not even remotely mainstream in hardcore Trump country.

This is a really well constructed post.  So much in here that deserves more attention and debate — and this is coming from someone who has been more locked down than > 95% of America from the beginning.   Personally, my family is doing great.  Kids are thriving.  We have more time as a family than ever before.  Etc.   But.....as Max writes, that isn’t reality for a lot of people.  And I have deep empathy for anyone who is struggling now, whether they realize they are struggling or not.  There is a very, very real downside to the approach we’ve taken.

Iowa is a pipe dream for Biden. A last minute shift of this degree is worth raising an eyebrow over, but I don't think it's the canary in the coalmine. I think it's dragging things more towards where they "should have" been. Even before this 538 had Iowa at like 56% Trump.  Up until a month ago Iowa was pretty steady in the mid to high 60 percent degree of probability for Trump at 538.

The 1st canary in the coalmine for me would be NC. I think we'll know a lot from how that state goes, problem is they're going to count mail in votes received anytime before Nov 12 (as long as they're postmarked on the 3rd or early).

I kinda want to just slip into a nicey comfy coma for a couple of weeks and wake up when most of the dust has settled.
Well...despite that poll, most of me continues to believe that you won’t have to wait, the dust will settle Tuesday night, because Joe Biden is going to win Florida, and we will hear that news by 7 pm PST. FWIW I think he’s going to win Georgia as well. And the election will be over. 

But if these things don’t happen, if Trump pulls out Florida, then I will become officially nervous, we will have a result that could indeed take weeks to determine, and its anybody’s ballgame. So for heavens sake let’s hope Biden wins Florida! 

My wife's system is having massive issues with this.  As you get into the more rural areas here it's even worse.  The district I came up in is having lots of kids who turn in no work at all.  Apparently they are "checking in" daily but not doing work so it's not treated as truancy here.  These kids though have had no instruction nor done any work since March at this point.

I understand your concerns, but you’re effectively relying on a “gut feeling” that keeping kids out of school will have disastrous long term consequences. I believe kids are pretty resilient, and think some sort of hybrid in-person + remote learning can still fulfill their educational needs. While the socialization aspect is tough, I don’t think more time with family and social circle “bubbles” will leave a generation of kids permanently scarred. Heck, a large percentage of their time was being spent on-line pre-pandemic anyway.

All that being said, that’s just my best guess, with no good data to support it, or refute your concerns. The COVID death statistics are real, however, and one must also consider the consequences of the child’s family members, possibly to include parents, succumbing to the virus.
Here is a study to read. It breaks things down better than I'm able to. 

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/public-and-social-sector/our-insights/covid-19-and-student-learning-in-the-united-states-the-hurt-could-last-a-lifetime#

This is a really well constructed post.  So much in here that deserves more attention and debate — and this is coming from someone who has been more locked down than > 95% of America from the beginning.   Personally, my family is doing great.  Kids are thriving.  We have more time as a family than ever before.  Etc.   But.....as Max writes, that isn’t reality for a lot of people.  And I have deep empathy for anyone who is struggling now, whether they realize they are struggling or not.  There is a very, very real downside to the approach we’ve taken.
I posted a link in the post above that is worth checking out.

Well...despite that poll, most of me continues to believe that you won’t have to wait, the dust will settle Tuesday night, because Joe Biden is going to win Florida, and we will hear that news by 7 pm PST. FWIW I think he’s going to win Georgia as well. And the election will be over. 

But if these things don’t happen, if Trump pulls out Florida, then I will become officially nervous, we will have a result that could indeed take weeks to determine, and its anybody’s ballgame. So for heavens sake let’s hope Biden wins Florida! 
Biden's not winning Florida. He's not winning Georgia either. Those are 2 places we already know the State government is actively working at voter suppression even before we get to hijinks with mail in ballots. Of the states within the margin of error, AZ, NC and PA are the ones that will determine the outcome. If Biden does get Florida and/or Georgia, we're talking landslide. And given Trump's approval rating is still right around 44% nation wide, I don't see that happening.

I have no complaints against @Joe Bryant. I don’t always agree with him (and he agrees with me even less!) but he’s trying to keep this place safe for discussion and debate with less acrimony and trolling. I support that effort. 
How do you have no complaints? I literally won your Timleague a couple years ago. This means I’m gone. A total echo chamber will happen.

Trump is 100% correct on this.  How could you possibly be demoralized by this?  Did you not know that there is a large financial payment to the hospital when the death is classified as COVID?  Do you not see how that might cause then to mark it as COVID when in question?  
Medicare reimbursement was increased for COVID patients, as part of the CARES act The Donald himself signed (and bragged about on several occasions). The payments were increased in recognition of the extra resources/time required to care for living COVID patients. It has nothing to do with deaths due to COVID per se. 

And while Trump’s life is based on gaming the system, it’s fairly insulting to assume physicians would fabricate a diagnosis to increase their reimbursement. While there are certainly a few bad apples who submit fraudulent billing, most healthcare providers try to bill accurately. It’s even worse to slander the very same healthcare workers who take care of COVID patients, risking their own well being at times due to the botched pandemic response.

How do you have no complaints? I literally won your Timleague a couple years ago. This means I’m gone. A total echo chamber will happen.
And echo chamber will happen if Joe cracks down on trolling?

My wife's system is having massive issues with this.  As you get into the more rural areas here it's even worse.  The district I came up in is having lots of kids who turn in no work at all.  Apparently they are "checking in" daily but not doing work so it's not treated as truancy here.  These kids though have had no instruction nor done any work since March at this point.
It's sad. I think schools need to open both in person and virtual options. Let the parents decide. 

I posted a link in the post above that is worth checking out.
Yeah, it’s a really good article.  I used to work at McK and still am on a bunch of distribution lists for their research; read this awhile back.

If we had a functioning nation (note:  not a shot at Trump, an indictment of the whole system), we would be having real debate on research-based issues......and what to do.....

Max Power said:
I’ll check it out. Thanks.

ETA. Good article. Makes a lot of sense that educational deficits will disproportionately impact lower SES and minority students. The problem is, those same groups have higher risk for COVID, so it’s problematic to push for more in-person learning knowing their families are more likely to get sick.

But the article isn’t necessarily advocating opening up schools ASAP - they seem to be promoting stepwise, hybrid online/in-person education in step with pandemic management.

Widbil83 said:
I don’t think you should leave. If you do, I will have a complaint against YOU for leaving. 

timschochet said:

Based on the numbers I have seen on early voting, the Republicans have closed the gap and should expect a larger turnout on election day. I think Trump takes Florida.

Georgia and North Carolina seem more likely for Biden than Florida in my view. 

I would guess that Florida, Iowa, Arizona go Trump. North Carolina and Georgia are slight leans to Biden, but these are very tight. I am assuming Texas and Ohio go to Trump, Nevada to Biden and I don't see any reasons to think Biden doesn't take Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan.

Sneegor said:
I have seen it happen first hand.  It is absolutely happening.
Please elaborate - who falsely attributed a death to COVID, in what context? How do you know COVID wasn’t the cause of death?

Multiple friends who have had family members die of cancer/heart disease that hospital incorrectly coded as COVID.
Are there any stats on how many people died with no underlying issues? I had thought the large percentage of people who have died were either older with weaker immune systems or had  other issues where COVID was the final straw. 

Shula-holic said:
Right, so these 5 or 6 people stand out like a sore thumb.  It's not like they would be the only Trump supporters around.  It's foolish to think that the majority of Trump voters aren't wearing masks, distancing, etc.  I'd say your own observation here would prove that.  I never denied there are a few out there who believe it's a hoax or something to that effect but that's not even remotely mainstream in hardcore Trump country.
Sure.  I’m not implying it’s the majority of Trump supporters, certainly not.  But I do think it’s a larger percentage then you would believe.  

Terminalxylem said:

I'm no child psychologist, but remote learning for my then 4 year old last Spring was an absolute disaster and had a noticeable effect on her mental well-being. She had been in daycare since she was 6 months old, is an only child, and is very social. We started having significant behavioral problems about a month into online learning that we had never experienced previously and at points she was inconsolable and filled with rage. She is in a private school so they opened in September (with an abundance of safety precautions and random testing weekly) and the change in her behavior and her intelligence is staggering. We are blessed that we can afford to do this; most families cannot. This sentiment is the same with every single one of my daughter's friends' parents. And your "more time with family" argument doesn't work so well when the family is trying to keep their employment afloat working from home all day and trying to juggle that with assisting a 5 year old with Zoom and everyone in the entire household  on edge and there's not a lot of quality family time.

I am as liberal as they come and take this virus as seriously as anyone, but I had a conversation early on with another extremely liberal couple where the theme was "Are we sacrificing an entire generation's well-being to save the Boomers?" There was no conclusion; just something we debated.

I am not saying that we should all say "screw it let's move on and let people die." I want to do everything we can to save people and our response to this as a nation has been awful. Now that my daughter is in school, we will not see our older and more vulnerable family members unless we have an opportunity to fully quarantine for two weeks. And if there are older teachers, I am fully in support of their feelings of not being comfortable to come back to the classroom. 

My point is, this is a very complicated situation and there is no easy answer and just simply saying this virus is going to kill people (mostly older) therefore that should drive all decisions is a pretty black and white take on things. This is an incredibly difficult time and someone wanting schools to be open doesn't mean they are poo-pooing the pandemic. I desperately want schools to be open and that is mostly because my daughter is my number one priority and she needs that.

I'm no child psychologist, but remote learning for my then 4 year old last Spring was an absolute disaster and had a noticeable effect on her mental well-being. She had been in daycare since she was 6 months old, is an only child, and is very social. We started having significant behavioral problems about a month into online learning that we had never experienced previously and at points she was inconsolable and filled with rage. She is in a private school so they opened in September (with an abundance of safety precautions and random testing weekly) and the change in her behavior and her intelligence is staggering. We are blessed that we can afford to do this; most families cannot. This sentiment is the same with every single one of my daughter's friends' parents. And your "more time with family" argument doesn't work so well when the family is trying to keep their employment afloat working from home all day and trying to juggle that with assisting a 5 year old with Zoom and everyone in the entire household  on edge and there's not a lot of quality family time.

I am as liberal as they come and take this virus as seriously as anyone, but I had a conversation early on with another extremely liberal couple where the theme was "Are we sacrificing an entire generation's well-being to save the Boomers?" There was no conclusion; just something we debated.

I am not saying that we should all say "screw it let's move on and let people die." I want to do everything we can to save people and our response to this as a nation has been awful. Now that my daughter is in school, we will not see our older and more vulnerable family members unless we have an opportunity to fully quarantine for two weeks. And if there are older teachers, I am fully in support of their feelings of not being comfortable to come back to the classroom. 

My point is, this is a very complicated situation and there is no easy answer and just simply saying this virus is going to kill people (mostly older) therefore that should drive all decisions is a pretty black and white take on things. This is an incredibly difficult time and someone wanting schools to be open doesn't mean they are poo-pooing the pandemic. I desperately want schools to be open and that is mostly because my daughter is my number one priority and she needs that.
I feel your pain.  I have two daughters, 10 and 6.  My 6 year old did fine with being at home and did fine with schoolwork as long as we made sure to stay on top of her and sit with her to work with her on it.  My 10 year old however really struggled with the mental and social aspects.  Her mental state really deteriorated over those six months.  She became depressed and at times would have breakdowns over not being able to go to school or see her friends from school.  Not every child is the same, even siblings.  You can be a good parent and make sure you do the work with your child, and some may do fine, but others just won't.  Her school opened up again in a hybrid mode to begin with two days a week and she became a little happier when that started.  They went back to five days a week maybe a month ago and she's been so much happier.  She constantly talks about how all she wants is for the virus to stay down where they can keep going.

I feel your pain.  I have two daughters, 10 and 6.  My 6 year old did fine with being at home and did fine with schoolwork as long as we made sure to stay on top of her and sit with her to work with her on it.  My 10 year old however really struggled with the mental and social aspects.  Her mental state really deteriorated over those six months.  She became depressed and at times would have breakdowns over not being able to go to school or see her friends from school.  Not every child is the same, even siblings.  You can be a good parent and make sure you do the work with your child, and some may do fine, but others just won't.  Her school opened up again in a hybrid mode to begin with two days a week and she became a little happier when that started.  They went back to five days a week maybe a month ago and she's been so much happier.  She constantly talks about how all she wants is for the virus to stay down where they can keep going.
Yea. The numbers are surging in PA so I decided to have a talk with my daughter to start the conversation about her having to go back to on-line learning again and she was having no part of it - she wants to go to school.  It's heartbreaking. And it's going to be a really long winter when the inevitable happens. 

But yet conservatives are called monsters for wanting their kids back in school!  I have a 3rd and 6th grader and it sucks, big time!  These kids need to be back on school, period.

Yea. The numbers are surging in PA so I decided to have a talk with my daughter to start the conversation about her having to go back to on-line learning again and she was having no part of it - she wants to go to school.  It's heartbreaking. And it's going to be a really long winter when the inevitable happens. 
I think that's a good idea.  I've also started preparing my daughter for the possibility it may not last.  We got fortunate in that her last year's teachers looped up with her class as they were normally 5th grade teachers and had been moved to 4th grade last year due to enrollment by grade.  She loves them and having them again has at least made her feel better.  We've had a few districts in the state have individual schools close due to outbreaks but so far her school and really her entire district has fared pretty well.  I will admit she has been a little snake bit.  The day her hybrid group was supposed to start school there was an accident that morning near the school that knocked out their power and kept them from going for their first day, which was on a Friday.  So she had to wait another week to start.  I had her with me that day and thought she was going to totally unravel.

Multiple friends who have had family members die of cancer/heart disease that hospital incorrectly coded as COVID.
I’m sorry, but that sounds a little fishy. Did their family members not have COVID? Who in the hospital coded COVID incorrectly? How did they become aware of the incorrect coding?

But to be clear, many people with comorbidities are hospitalized with COVID, including those with heart disease and cancer. And some of them die. If the immediate cause of death is related to SARS-CoV-2 infection, the principle cause of death will likely (accurately) be COVID-19.

On the other hand, if they die of a cancer complication, but also happen to be infected, COVID should be listed as a secondary diagnosis,  as it likely contributed to their death, even if not the principle cause.

Either way, the death certificate should include COVID somewhere.

Now, if they had COVID a couple months ago, but die of a heart attack today, COVID probably shouldn’t be included. I say probably because COVID is known to damage the heart and can promote heart attacks, but it’s less likely they would present a couple months later from a COVID-induced heart attack. Then again, it’s a novel infection whose long term effects remain to be elaborated.

Are there any stats on how many people died with no underlying issues? I had thought the large percentage of people who have died were either older with weaker immune systems or had  other issues where COVID was the final straw. 
Absolutely, most COVID deaths occur in people with comorbidies. But outside of trauma, this is true for every major cause of death. People seldom die with just one medical problem. 

A good friend from college told us years ago about how her cousin’s roommate had his organs harvested in a hotel room in Las Vegas.  She was dead serious.  I have no doubt that she believed what she was telling us.

This reminds me of that situation.

Absolutely, most COVID deaths occur in people with comorbidies. But outside of trauma, this is true for every major cause of death. People seldom die with just one medical problem. 
I'll ask if you know the answer to this because I know you're in the field, has there been a study or grouping of Covid related fatalities by remaining life expectancy? 

For instance, a mom of a friend of mine and had been in a nursing home for years, pretty much bedbound and recently died from Covid.  Her life expectancy obviously wouldn't have been tremendously long regardless of her exact age.  I know healthy people in their 40's can die from it, healthy people in their 70's as well.  But just curious if there's been time yet to put numbers together on statistically how the mortality rates fall by life expectancy.  

i dont know where to post this question so i picked this thread 
i know rallies during a presidency is just a trump thing

but what about these car and boat parades flying all the flags ? 
I dont remember these before trump ? are these a trump thing or were they were happening before 

the follow up question is do anyone know if they are occurring in other countries for their presidents or prime ministers ?

I know in Canada i haven't seen these parades   for any of our politicians but i have seen people flying trump and pence flags while driving around but no parades  

Users who are viewing this thread