What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet’s political thoughts and commentary- back in here until the election is done (1 Viewer)

The shooting of the two police officers in Compton is terrible. Hoping they recover. 

Whoever shouted “we hope they die” , if that actually happened, is of course an idiot and not at all representative of the vast majority of those who engage in peaceful protest of police misconduct;  this shouldn’t even have to be said. But no doubt Fox and the usual suspects on talk radio will play it up as if all protestors feel this way. Look for our President to do the same. 
Correct...when it appears it was a dozen or less protesters and as of now one who said something about hoping someone dies...and some other very classless twitter comments about not caring.

Awful for the cops (one who has passed) and for their families.

The shooting of the two police officers in Compton is terrible. Hoping they recover. 

Whoever shouted “we hope they die” , if that actually happened, is of course an idiot and not at all representative of the vast majority of those who engage in peaceful protest of police misconduct;  this shouldn’t even have to be said. But no doubt Fox and the usual suspects on talk radio will play it up as if all protestors feel this way. Look for our President to do the same. 
Just like the small minority of bad cops are not at all representative of the vast majority of good cops, right? 

Just like the small minority of bad cops are not at all representative of the vast majority of good cops, right? 
Sure...but that isn't the entire problem...as has been discussed many times over.  The system that protects the bad cops is a huge huge huge part of the overall problem.

Unions have been a big problem in this country for a long time, I agree.
I don't think its just unions or all unions either.  I do agree public unions where there isn't really quality or proper representation on behalf of the taxpayers have problems.  

But its other cops covering for them, refusal to prosecute (or when its tried, they trump the charges up that will never stick).

Sure...but that isn't the entire problem...as has been discussed many times over.  The system that protects the bad cops is a huge huge huge part of the overall problem.
When you keep finding bad apples in the barrel, perhaps you should look at your production and storage methods to find improvements

Unions have been a big problem in this country for a long time, I agree.
So have training, loyalty and procedure....all of it is part of the problem.  It's kind of why "but a few bad cops...." doesn't really do the entire issue justice.

Of course. This shouldn’t need to be said either. 

Most people are good, period. Much of the trouble we face in society comes from those who focus on the small minority who are awful and use them to make generalizations about the rest. I hate it when liberals do this, and they do it quite often, and I hate it when conservatives do this, and they do it quite often. 
But up until 2016, the politicians and rabble rousers who pulled this sort of crap in both parties were typically far removed from responsibility; at most they were congresspeople, like Maxine Waters, or talk show hosts like Mark Levin: loud and obnoxious, but ultimately far away from actual political power. It wasn’t until Trump arrived on the scene that somebody who pushed divisiveness and hateful generalization reached the most powerful position in the land, and it’s a big part of the reason I want to see him defeated so badly. 

When you keep finding bad apples in the barrel, perhaps you should look at your production and storage methods to find improvements
Weird logic.  There are srats which suggests 7% of protests are violent vs. 0.01% of cops who shoot unarmed perpatrators.  Seems the bad apple analogy is better fitting to thr protesters. 

That can go both ways but no one wants to hear it about criminals
Meh..... several of us have had multiple discussions about exactly this.... from our laws to the importance of family units to lack of opportunity to poor decision making vs. desperation decision making to personal responsibility. 

Who said shooting? Was George Floyd shot? Daniel Prude? 

It's always "a few bad apples" that gets trotted out as an excuse. Bad apples shouldn't be acceptable 
Ok...in that case it was killing.  You can interchange killing with shooting and it makes no difference. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird logic.  There are srats which suggests 7% of protests are violent vs. 0.01% of cops who shoot unarmed perpatrators.  Seems the bad apple analogy is better fitting to thr protesters. 
False equivalence here.  The equivalent comparison would be % of protesters, not protests.  Or % of police departments, perhaps.

False equivalence here.  The equivalent comparison would be % of protesters, not protests.  Or % of police departments, perhaps.
Sure if those numbers existed.  Not that it matters because both are over generalization.   The absudity of the demonization the police though is dangerous and evil.  

Last edited by a moderator:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MattGarrahan/status/1305052220325584896

Trump sycophants will believe whatever he tells them.
Yeah and what’s scary is how many there are. 
But there’s also always been an element of Trump fan who knows that what he’s doing is awful and who supports him because it’s awful. I’ve mentioned this comparison before, but I liken it to those Oakland Raiders fans who adored Al Davis and loved him the most whenever he would make a terrible draft pick. They loved how he thumbed his nose at the rest of the NFL. 

Yeah and what’s scary is how many there are. 
But there’s also always been an element of Trump fan who knows that what he’s doing is awful and who supports him because it’s awful. I’ve mentioned this comparison before, but I liken it to those Oakland Raiders fans who adored Al Davis and loved him the most whenever he would make a terrible draft pick. They loved how he thumbed his nose at the rest of the NFL. 
This is shallow tim.

Your f.i.l.  wouldnt appreciate  it.   Does he know what you think of him?

This is shallow tim.

Your f.i.l.  wouldnt appreciate  it.   Does he know what you think of him?
There are many different types of Trump supporters. In that post I was describing one type (which is why I wrote “an element of”). My father in law is a different type. 

Im telling u the number of democrats who hate America  is greater in number than the trump supporters  that timschochet  is describing. 
Whatever. 

Frankly I’m bored of trying to figure out Trump supporters. Looking forward to a few months from now when they will be a memory. 

Whatever. 

Frankly I’m bored of trying to figure out Trump supporters. Looking forward to a few months from now when they will be a memory. 
Im bored  with you trying,  you are intentionally obtuse..   trump didn't make them.  They made  trump.   They aren't going away. Regardless  of the outcome of the election     Your F.I.L. isn't going anywhere.

Im bored  with you trying,  you are intentionally obtuse..   trump didn't make them.  They made  trump.   They aren't going away. Regardless  of the outcome of the election     Your F.I.L. isn't going anywhere.
I’m hoping that after Trump loses they’ll move on to better, more competent, more traditional  conservatives. There are a few around. 

Good morning. Out of curiosity I went and visited the forum on that competing fantasy football site that gets referenced here from time to time. I had read in a few threads that they spend a lot of time complaining about this forum so I wanted to see if the complaints had validity. 

It was depressing. 

Most of the complaints were about suspensions. I’m sure some of those complaints are justified, but the argument seemed to be that conservatives and Trump supporters get suspended because they are conservatives and Trump supporters. I don’t believe that’s true and I offer myself as an example. 
More depressing was the vulgar and insulting  language used and the rather vicious attacks against several people here, particularly Joe Bryant, Sho Nuff, and myself. And this by some posters instantly recognizable who I converse with on an almost daily basis, some of whom I liked very much (and whom I thought returned the feeling, but I guess I was wrong, and that makes me sad.) It was pretty ugly to read; I don’t think I’ll do it again. 

“I don’t think science actually knows”- Donald J. Trump, September 14, 2020. 

Should be remembered , like “The buck stops here” or “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall” as THE line from this current presidency. 

“I don’t think science actually knows”- Donald J. Trump, September 14, 2020. 

Should be remembered , like “The buck stops here” or “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall” as THE line from this current presidency. 
Whats the rest of that statement? Or what was the question? 

Good morning. Out of curiosity I went and visited the forum on that competing fantasy football site that gets referenced here from time to time. I had read in a few threads that they spend a lot of time complaining about this forum so I wanted to see if the complaints had validity. 

It was depressing. 

Most of the complaints were about suspensions. I’m sure some of those complaints are justified, but the argument seemed to be that conservatives and Trump supporters get suspended because they are conservatives and Trump supporters. I don’t believe that’s true and I offer myself as an example. 
More depressing was the vulgar and insulting  language used and the rather vicious attacks against several people here, particularly Joe Bryant, Sho Nuff, and myself. And this by some posters instantly recognizable who I converse with on an almost daily basis, some of whom I liked very much (and whom I thought returned the feeling, but I guess I was wrong, and that makes me sad.) It was pretty ugly to read; I don’t think I’ll do it again. 
Everyone always thinks it's the "other" side gets a free pass and it's "our side" that is picked on. It's just how the internet works today. I guess it's always been like that but the internet shines a brighter light on it.

People sometimes say stuff that's ugly. That's unfortunate but that's life. Part of the job is getting a pretty steady stream of stuff like that. But I can't know what would make someone say something awful there. As much as anything, it bums me out they're in a place where they feel enough hurt that they'd do something like that. I can't know what's going on with them. So best to just not read.

We don't see eye to eye on everything Tim, but I've never had any question that you're a good person. Rock on. 

Everyone always thinks it's the "other" side gets a free pass and it's "our side" that is picked on. It's just how the internet works today. I guess it's always been like that but the internet shines a brighter light on it.

People sometimes say stuff that's ugly. That's unfortunate but that's life. Part of the job is getting a pretty steady stream of stuff like that. But I can't know what would make someone say something awful there. As much as anything, it bums me out they're in a place where they feel enough hurt that they'd do something like that. I can't know what's going on with them. So best to just not read.

We don't see eye to eye on everything Tim, but I've never had any question that you're a good person. Rock on. 
Thanks Joe 

Users who are viewing this thread