What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Graphic Support Needed (1 Viewer)

David Dodds

Administrator
Winner gets:

$200 + free book + free subscription + free shirt or hat

Everyone else gets the satisfaction of competing.

Submissions will be due by Midnight, Saturday May 8th. Submit by sending artwork to dodds@footballguys.com. Please zip files over 500KB in size.

Submission must be 8.5 x 11 cover art and submitted as TIFF or JPG with 600 dpi resolution.

Just put a placeholder for a certain size logo. We can create exactly what you need if you win the contest.

Here is the current design (and also shows what is inside)

FBG Stats Book

We are not convinced we have the correct title, etc so feel free to get creative.

Some more thoughts:

- We can not use NFL players or NFL logos (we have not paid for those rights). We can use pics of footballs, shoulder pads, kicking tees, etc.

Good Luck Everyone. We will post the best efforts and get input for a final decision by Monday.

Does not need to be black. It can have a different title, etc. No rules here except that it needs to be 8.5 x 11 at 600 DPI. We are going to print the cover in full color.

In.

Assuming you want it to be a black book.
Hi Brit,Naturally, a black cover works if we stick with the title of "Big Black Book of Football Stats" but we're not locked into that title (at least not for a couple more days)

If you come up with something black, great. But if you find another look that smokes, throw that out too.

J

300 DPI is the norm for graphics....just a thought so that you don't have worry about file size.But I'll do whatever you wish!The color cover will be printed on 600 DPI. I agree this makes it a bit cumbersome to work with such a large file, but should look very sharp at 600 DPI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have any footballguys.com logos we could use???
Yes, we can make it any size. Just put something as a placeholder and if you are selected we will integrate it with you. It will be too hard for us to design logos for all of the entrants to different specs.

I think I can come up with a creative cover, but I suck when it comes to using computers. What kind of program could I use to make this?
PhotoShopQuarkInDesignIllustratorFreehandCorel :yucky: Publisher :yucky: Just a few that I refer to.

I think I can come up with a creative cover, but I suck when it comes to using computers. What kind of program could I use to make this?
PhotoShopQuarkInDesignIllustratorFreehandCorel :yucky: Publisher :yucky: Just a few that I refer to.
Don't forget about the GIMP. My standing policy is that I would hate to pay more for a graphic editor/image manipulation program than my resulting images are worth. ;)

Not much of a graphics person myself, but how about a few title suggestions:"Football Stats by Footballguys for Football Guys""Pro Football Stats Bible""Footballguys Handbook 2K4""Essential Guide of Football Stats""2004 Fantasy Football Owners Manual"

Not much of a graphics person myself, but how about a few title suggestions:"Football Stats by Footballguys for Football Guys""Pro Football Stats Bible""Footballguys Handbook 2K4""Essential Guide of Football Stats""2004 Fantasy Football Owners Manual"
good stuff.

i will say some other titles..."The Book To Have""NFL for Sharks""Blackeyed Joe: I hate losing""Shark Stats""Small Fish in a Big Tank"more to come when i think of them... PM me for ideas.

I made a cool cover on FreeHand (first time using it), but I'm having a bit of trouble changing it to the required size. Anyone know how to do this? TIA.

I have always dreamed of creating a Fantasy Football Mag called the "Book of Knowledge" (It would have a Gold cover) :thumbup:

footballman_696969 Posted on May 4 2004, 08:23 PM

I made a cool cover on FreeHand (first time using it), but I'm having a bit of trouble changing it to the required size. Anyone know how to do this? TIA.
Document size or file size(DPI)?Document size can be done in the beginning. You can create a new file at 8.5 x 11 then copy and paste your work from the wrong size document into the new one which is now 8.5x11.

File size can not be altared in Freehand, but I do know that FreeHand is a vector base program so I know that it would definitly be 300dpi, if not more (probably 1200dpi), So when you export your file from FreeHand you WILL be ok.

I'm having trouble with a title for OUR book. These Are a few of my ideas: Please inout what you may like best. Thank you in advance

FBG's STAT tracker

FBG's Almanac of STATs

Fantasy Rewind

Fantasy Football Review

The Ultimate Fantasty Football Factbook

Five Years of Fantasy Football

Fantasy Football: Five Year Review

Fantasy Highlights

Fantasy Recap

Fantasy Findings

Fantasy Facts

Fantasy in Focus: A 5-Year Review

The Ultimate Fantasty Football Almanac

Fantasy Football History: Five Year Update

Fantasy Football: The Making of a Dynasty

Fantasy Football: Fact or Fiction?

Fantasy Football: Players of the Past

Fantasy Football: The Players that Make the Game

Fantasy Rewind: The Players Behind the Numbers

Fantasy Rewind: Your Guide to All-Star Players

I'm having trouble with a title for OUR book. These Are a few of my ideas:

FBG's STAT tracker

FBG's Almanac of STATs
Hi Crazy 8,That's exactly the attitude. "Our" book is right. We created for guys like you guys. It really is "our" book. Cool.

J

Joe or David,What is the usual football guys font...the font in which "Discussion Board" is written in at the top of the page here...

I'm interested - Are there any kind of color restrictions?2 Color?4 Color?Full Color?

8.5*11=huge file sizeSupposing we go with a black background. Can we make a black webpage 8.5*11 and then just post pics within it? Using your dimensions and dpi, I'm at 80-90 MB with Paintshop pro and I haven't done a darn thing.Not sure how printable a webpage is. I'd swear I've heard folks say it's really NOT so printable.Nutha question:NFL Pics of players? Like many books and mags have on their covers, are you NOT going to use them? Too much copyright/permission red tape to fight thru or can we give that a try too? See I'm guessing NO. I'm guessing you want an almost plain but instead crisp, sharp cover. If I understand this correctly, the more pizazz the more $ it will cost to produce this cover so naturally you don't want 8 million pictures.

I have always dreamed of creating a Fantasy Football Mag called the "Book of Knowledge" (It would have a Gold cover) :thumbup:
cool idea. Waste some time stewing on this one. I'm stuck thinking, while a cool idea, how would they know it's a football book? Hmmmalotta great ideas on names. Some of you should be writing commericals or catchphrases or something.

Does not need to be black. It can have a different title, etc. No rules here except that it needs to be 8.5 x 11 at 600 DPI. We are going to print the cover in full color.
What about NFL logos, player pics, etc.?

wasn't there a FBG banner page on the site? Got a link? need to "steal" some FBG heads + logos

8.5*11=huge file sizeSupposing we go with a black background. Can we make a black webpage 8.5*11 and then just post pics within it? Using your dimensions and dpi, I'm at 80-90 MB with Paintshop pro and I haven't done a darn thing.Not sure how printable a webpage is. I'd swear I've heard folks say it's really NOT so printable.Nutha question:NFL Pics of players? Like many books and mags have on their covers, are you NOT going to use them? Too much copyright/permission red tape to fight thru or can we give that a try too? See I'm guessing NO. I'm guessing you want an almost plain but instead crisp, sharp cover. If I understand this correctly, the more pizazz the more $ it will cost to produce this cover so naturally you don't want 8 million pictures.
Hi Bri,Yes, let's go without player pics or "official" logo stuff. Thanks.J

footballman_696969 Posted on May 4 2004, 08:23 PM

Document size or file size(DPI)?Document size can be done in the beginning. You can create a new file at 8.5 x 11 then copy and paste your work from the wrong size document into the new one which is now 8.5x11.

File size can not be altared in Freehand, but I do know that FreeHand is a vector base program so I know that it would definitly be 300dpi, if not more (probably 1200dpi), So when you export your file from FreeHand you WILL be ok.
Check your PM's.

DAVID .... Did you receive the cover that I sent last night ?? I received a e-mail saying that your e-mail address was undeliverable???

i can do itwww.unknowndot.tki work ina magazine in the past too :D im in. your logo looks like party beer people, crazy i like it :lol: Ho wmany colors? can it be b/w?green is cool, do you like football stadium? :wacko: those if have to be that legal paper size? that is big :wacko:

The file size is too large to email, mine ended up at 12M compressed! Maybe you guys should rethink this and choose from low res versions then redo ONE (the winer) at high res. This is going to eat up your email boxes and bandwidth.

Files sizes are killing my inbox. I woke up this morning and my inbox was redlined. It is now clear, but getting a lot of people's stuff 6+ times. Here's what I would like to suggest. Tweak the one submitted to me down (less resolution, save as a JPG with compression, etc) as a working copy. Also zip the file if you can. Send me that. That is good enough to decide a winner.We will give 3-5 days after selecting a winning entry to get at the right resolution, etc on the final copy.Wish I would have said this to start. people that have already submitted, don't resend.David

wild dreams you have!! ;)

Is it one entry/person?
I wonderred the same thing but didn't post the question. I don't wanna pester them. I'll tell ya what I'm guessing:I'm guessing yes we can but they don't want 20 different ones each a teenie tiny bit different. That's wasteful and honestly, not creative. I figure though if you had two very different ideas, each with it's strongpoints, then they'd say "the more the merrier."Just a guess, forgive me for speaking out of turn. If I'm wrong....sorry

Can I hire my wife for this entry? She's not a football guy, but she rocks at computer graphics. Great way to make a living. :yes: Or would that be considered using a ringer?

Capt. Spiffy's Big Black Book of Football Goop.......I don't know why I had to suggest that. One of those urges you can't control, I guess. Sorry !!

Is it one entry/person?
I wonderred the same thing but didn't post the question. I don't wanna pester them. I'll tell ya what I'm guessing:I'm guessing yes we can but they don't want 20 different ones each a teenie tiny bit different. That's wasteful and honestly, not creative. I figure though if you had two very different ideas, each with it's strongpoints, then they'd say "the more the merrier."

Just a guess, forgive me for speaking out of turn.

If I'm wrong....sorry
Hi Bri,You can enter as many times as you like. All we're trying to do is find a great cover and give away some money to the person that can design it.

But Guys, please make sure to heed David's request seriously as he's getting slammed with giant files:

Here's what I would like to suggest. Tweak the one submitted to me down (less resolution, save as a JPG with compression, etc) as a working copy. Also zip the file if you can. Send me that. That is good enough to decide a winner.

J

David, how is the book going to be binded? :unsure:
Hi C8,We'll use a spiral binding that lays totally flat so guys can work with the book open on a desk. It's the way the "Press Editions" of the old STATS Inc book used to be bound. More expensive than normal "perfect" binding, but a book that thick won't stay open to the right page any other way.

J

Users who are viewing this thread