What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody had a live draft this year? (1 Viewer)

sfwilly

Footballguy
Our big online draft was just moved to online.  

We have our draft outside on a patio with plenty of spacing, so I thought many of the owners would feel safe.  And those that do not could have logged on and drafted online.

Anybody have one, if so how did it go.

John

Yeah we had our big live draft last weekend. 2 of the 12 stayed home. One guy just had a kid and the other just got back from some traveling and didn’t want to risk exposing anyone. It was all outside and there was plenty of distance available, was a great time.

We’re all golfing on Wednesday then partial live draft after at one of the owners homes. Spread out outside. 2 out of state guys will be online and we have a few owners/co owners who don’t want to risk it and would drive home and draft remote. 

Had ours on Saturday the 29th and it was handled no differently than any other draft we've had; this being our 18th annual live draft.   

except when we laughed seeing the Cleveland Indian shortstop wearing a mask on the field.
This sort of commentary seems ancillary to the thread. Whether you had a live draft or not doesn’t mean you need to mock those taking precautions against a pandemic that’s killed 180,000 Americans.

I have a dear friend on a ventilator right now. My ex coworker, a 46 year old nurse. She’s battling COVID-pneumonia that she caught trying to save the lives of other COVID patients who refused to take precautions. If she dies she’ll be the 2nd person in my immediate circle of friends to do so.

good luck with your live drafts. Please take precautions. This thing is no joke. 

And this is why we can't have nice things. 
Why is that?  I had a live draft for my league.  We are like minded and take precautions when going in public.  Most work from home and we live in area with very minimal cases.  Why is it a problem to get together in that scenario?

Not all areas are a major risk.  Not all people put themselves in risky situations.  There is a way to socialize and not be risky.

Why is that?  I had a live draft for my league.  We are like minded and take precautions when going in public.  Most work from home and we live in area with very minimal cases.  Why is it a problem to get together in that scenario?

Not all areas are a major risk.  Not all people put themselves in risky situations.  There is a way to socialize and not be risky.
One size fits all does not apply

Had ours yesterday...12 teams.   Everyone there, no masks or social distancing concerns.  4 hour draft and I don't believe the topic of Covid was brought up except when we laughed seeing the Cleveland Indian shortstop wearing a mask on the field.
"Hey look guy's! He's wearing a mask ha ha ha ha!"

Is that really how it went? There has to be more to the story. 

while this is true, it only takes 1. 

My niece is a care-giver in a home for Alzheimer’s & dementia patients. The workers are tested weekly. 

These people take the same, if not many more precautions due to the delicate nature of their jobs working in a high-risk community. 

last week an evening shift worker popped positive. The next day 6 of her coworkers also tested positive. It happens that fast. Thankfully none of the patients have tested positive yet since they caught it fast & quarantined the workers. 

The best precaution is to avoid large gatherings. And, If unavoidable, to keep them  outdoors, distancing & masks can reduce the chances to ~1%. but that’s not 0%. And if one catches it, they could infect scores of others before they even know they have it. 

I suppose it’s debatable whether a live fantasy draft is “unavoidable”. Many would say it’s an unnecessary risk, but as a FF guy I get it.  Seems like when it’s life or death, no risk is better than some risk. 

My Zoom/CBS draft worked great. If you’re drafting live, it really doesn’t cost you anything to wear a mask & keep some distance. it might even help. 

"Hey look guy's! He's wearing a mask ha ha ha ha!"

Is that really how it went? There has to be more to the story. 
Since this topic is already off the rails, I’ll pile on. I don’t understand how this is so ridiculous of a statement. The guy is 45 feet from the next closest person and he has a mask on. That’s about as bad as people driving alone in their cars with masks on. 

We have a long running local league where we do a live draft, and live waivers every Monday night, halftime of MNF......one of our owners opted out, and wasn't interested in playing remotely.....Instead of replacing him, we are playing with one less.....it's a total points league so no biggie. 

I would opt out if we weren't doing in person.  I've done all online leagues in the past, and I don't think I would do another one....I mean maybe with people I know, but not with strangers....

Out setup for both live draft leagues I do will be simple......backyard, keep your distance

Since this topic is already off the rails, I’ll pile on. I don’t understand how this is so ridiculous of a statement. The guy is 45 feet from the next closest person and he has a mask on. That’s about as bad as people driving alone in their cars with masks on. 
What if there is a pop up in between him and the next player and they meet in the middle? Do you expect him to put his mask on while he is running?

while this is true, it only takes 1. 

My niece is a care-giver in a home for Alzheimer’s & dementia patients. The workers are tested weekly. 

These people take the same, if not many more precautions due to the delicate nature of their jobs working in a high-risk community. 

last week an evening shift worker popped positive. The next day 6 of her coworkers also tested positive. It happens that fast. Thankfully none of the patients have tested positive yet since they caught it fast & quarantined the workers. 

The best precaution is to avoid large gatherings. And, If unavoidable, to keep them  outdoors, distancing & masks can reduce the chances to ~1%. but that’s not 0%. And if one catches it, they could infect scores of others before they even know they have it. 

I suppose it’s debatable whether a live fantasy draft is “unavoidable”. Many would say it’s an unnecessary risk, but as a FF guy I get it.  Seems like when it’s life or death, no risk is better than some risk. 

My Zoom/CBS draft worked great. If you’re drafting live, it really doesn’t cost you anything to wear a mask & keep some distance. it might even help. 
And is the area your niece lives  a high risk area?  That adds risk that cannot be avoided.  

It is also different if you are in a high risk demographic for complications.  You must be more diligent in your interactions and take your own precautions above and beyond.

As someone else said, there is no one size fits all solution.

What if there is a pop up in between him and the next player and they meet in the middle? Do you expect him to put his mask on while he is running?
He is already in close contact with all his teammates on a daily basis and in between innings.  He is already at much higher risk in his every day interactions with his teammates that a mask on the field isn't going to lessen the risk much if at all.

And is the area your niece lives  a high risk area?  That adds risk that cannot be avoided.  

not particularly, no. 

It is also different if you are in a high risk demographic for complications.  You must be more diligent in your interactions and take your own precautions above and beyond.
See: Eduardo Rodriguez, 27, MLB pitcher, who has swelling in his heart & was shut down for 2020. No underlying conditions, and had a “mild” case.  Your statement is not fact-based.

my friend on a vent is 46 with no underlying conditions or co-morbidities. She’s struggling to live just like the 80 year olds who get it.

my friend in Boston who’s a marathon runner and had a mild case - he’s been past it for 3 months. He still can’t walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. 

Yes - there are more and less at-risk groups. But that doesn’t mean it’s not potentially deadly to every group. 

As someone else said, there is no one size fits all solution.
In every other country masks and distancing combined with testing & contact tracing have proved to be effective at reducing the outbreak to manageable levels.

so in fact there is a 1-size fits all solution. It starts with masks and distancing, and not gathering in large groups. This isn’t even debatable at this point. It’s a fact. 

i’m not going to argue the science or who’s at risk or anything else. I’m just going to ask people who are drafting live to take precautions. There are known measures you can take to help prevent the spread. They’re very easy.  As much as I like arguing with y’all, I’d hate to see any of you contract this thing. Then who would I argue with? Please stay safe.   :wub:  

Last edited by a moderator:
not particularly, no. 

See: Eduardo Rodriguez, 27, MLB pitcher, who has swelling in his heart & was shut down for 2020. No underlying conditions, and had a “mild” case.  Your statement is not fact-based.
I never said that bad things can't happen to otherwise healthy people.  I said those with underlying conditions should take extra precautions.  I did not say healthy people should take no precautions.  

In every other country masks and distancing combined with testing & contact tracing have proved to be effective at reducing the outbreak to manageable levels.

so in fact there is a 1-size fits all solution. It starts with masks and distancing, and not gathering in large groups. This isn’t even debatable at this point. It’s a fact. 

i’m not going to argue the science or who’s at risk or anything else. I’m just going to ask people who are drafting live to take precautions. There are known measures you can take to help prevent the spread. They’re very easy.  As much as I like arguing with y’all, I’d hate to see any of you contract this thing. Then who would I argue with? Please stay safe.   :wub:  
The only way to eliminate all risk is to avoid contact with 100% of people and have no contact with outside sources.

Everything else has risk.  I can only take care of myself and limit the risk as I see fit for what I am willing to accept.  Eveyone is different.  That is what by one size does not fit all 

The only way to eliminate all risk is to avoid contact with 100% of people and have no contact with outside sources.

Everything else has risk.  I can only take care of myself and limit the risk as I see fit for what I am willing to accept.  Eveyone is different.  That is what by one size does not fit all 
This isn’t a binary. You can minimize risk by minimizing contact with people. 

it’s not “come in contact with all people” or  “come in contact with 0 people”. That’s silly. 

You can be sensible about the contact you do have, for example, choosing to gather with 12 people for a FF draft or choosing to do it online instead due to circumstance.

You can also minimize the risk while in those situations. If you do choose a higher risk gathering, you can simultaneouslt choose to wear a mask, frequent hand-washing, keeping a sensible distance, not having community snack bowls of chips & salsa, etc.

we have to live our lives. We don’t all have to grab a ruffles out of the same bag or leave our faces uncovered. 

like anything, there are levels of risk. And these are universal to everyone. 

This isn’t a binary. You can minimize risk by minimizing contact with people. 

it’s not “come in contact with all people” or  “come in contact with 0 people”. That’s silly. 

You can be sensible about the contact you do have, for example, choosing to gather with 12 people for a FF draft or choosing to do it online instead due to circumstance.

You can also minimize the risk while in those situations. If you do choose a higher risk gathering, you can simultaneouslt choose to wear a mask, frequent hand-washing, keeping a sensible distance, not having community snack bowls of chips & salsa, etc.

we have to live our lives. We don’t all have to grab a ruffles out of the same bag or leave our faces uncovered. 

like anything, there are levels of risk. And these are universal to everyone. 
I did not say you only had two options.  I said there was only one option for zero risk.  Everything else has some level of risk.  Its up to the individual to decide what level of risk is acceptable to them based on their situation.  Hence the one size does not fit all statement.

I did not say you only had two options.  I said there was only one option for zero risk.  Everything else has some level of risk.  Its up to the individual to decide what level of risk is acceptable to them based on their situation.  Hence the one size does not fit all statement.
Yet one size does fit all when it comes to minimizing that risk. 

Avoiding large gatherings. Avoiding indoor events. Avoiding recycled air. Masks. Distancing. handwashing.

we are 6 months+ into this. We know a lot more about it now. 

Most of those risk-avoidance factors apply  directly to hosting or attending a FF draft. It is an unnecessary risk since other options are widely available, affordable & convenient.

But if you must shout “YOLO!” and attend such an event, you can use these universal risk deterrents to minimize the chance of exposure. This, in turn, will minimize the risk of exposure for every person these draft attendees later come into contact with.

it’s just science. good luck. Be safe. 

Agreed, and I responded similarly before I read your reply.

Same for us. I trust that all of them have been acting appropriately. My state has already “won” the battle with Covid and this was a 14 person gathering outside so following protocol.

As always it was a blast.

Had ours yesterday...12 teams.   Everyone there, no masks or social distancing concerns.  4 hour draft and I don't believe the topic of Covid was brought up except when we laughed seeing the Cleveland Indian shortstop wearing a mask on the field.
I like you. 

:thumbup:

I will have my final draft on Wednesday night. The league has always had their draft on the day before the first NFL game for as long as I can remember. It will be my first live draft this year. But it’s held in a former elementary school. Needless to say we have as much room as we need.

It’s a 10 leaguer that includes my son and young grandson. 

I find some of the comments here hard to read without sadness. Hopefully we will not be a mask less, Covid-19 defying bunch of cretins.

Yeah something like that.  

Sorry if folks are offended, but wearing a mask on the field is similar to driving by yourself and wearing a mask.  
Look, we're all smart people here, please stop acting ignorant and making inflammatory responses just to piss people off. Back to football please?  There have been multiple times this month when I've been driving from one home health visit to the next and left my mask on so I don't have to mess around with it when I arrive at my next patient's house. It's OK if you see me driving by and laugh "What an idiot!" to your wife, but I think we can all agree where the ignorance is on display here.

In 22 years our league has only had one live draft, unfortunately, as we live spread across the country. (We got together in Vegas one year, what a blast!) I'm actually looking forward to our draft tomorrow night, as the increased familiarity with zoom brought about by the pandemic means I will get to see my league mates during the draft - an improvement on the old conference calls we usually have.

Everyone still drafting, enjoy your draft and have a great season, no matter what format you choose! 

Same for us - 12 owners met last Sunday having fun without any mention of Covid. Group includes teachers, CO's, office workers and a couple of retired guys. Same group met in the same room on March 15th for a fantasy baseball draft. Two days later the NJ Governor locked our state down for over 5 months. Just got gyms, movie theaters and 25% indoor dining back this week.  All good here in southern NJ

Yep. Drafted inside. 12 of 14 showed up, with the other two drafting on-line. I set up the seating with good spacing so nobody felt uncomfortable. A couple guys with masks.  All good. 

Yesterday was the best day of the year.

So much fun.

13 people in person and 4 team online via zoom. 16 teamer in year 31 of always live drafting. Our younger and newer members have built real friendships through this league and were enjoying the hell out of the entire event.  We do 26 player drafts with IDP so it was 5.5 hours with a full buffet and drinks up the ying-yang.

Awesome.

not particularly, no. 

my friend on a vent is 46 with no underlying conditions or co-morbidities. She’s struggling to live just like the 80 year olds who get it.

my friend in Boston who’s a marathon runner and had a mild case - he’s been past it for 3 months. He still can’t walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. 

Yes - there are more and less at-risk groups. But that doesn’t mean it’s not potentially deadly to every group. 

Thanks - I just don't see how if done right (spread out) this is much different than dining on a patio outside. 

Thanks - I just don't see how if done right (spread out) this is much different than dining on a patio outside. 
I’m not saying it is. I’m saying it is important to take precautions. 

it is literally different in that you’re not dining with 11 other people. Every other person increases the risk. 

there are risks to dining on a patio outside, too. that is not a no-risk activity.

so if you can choose to draft online, that’s probably a smart choice. If you must draft live in person, it doesn’t hurt to wear a mask & be smart with regards to precautionary measures as though there is a pandemic happening. Because there is.

i’m baffled as to why this is a complex dilemma. 

Did two this year in Memphis, TN (Not a good COVID situation right now.).

2 weeks ago: 10 people outside. Spaced a bit with fans running but definitely most folks not practicing 6' distancing. I kinda kept to myself a little bit but still made a point to enjoy myself.

No positives as a result of the draft. 

This Saturday, 10 folks Indoors in a big room. Folks similarly spaced (3-4' apart on average). Communal pizza and such. Again I made a point to keep standing distance where possible but enjoyed myself. 

Positive tests: TBD

Generally speaking all folks have been doing good with distancing and taking precautions. I've been one of the most vocal advocates of precautions since January over in the FFA threads. 

Live draft(draft board)with 9 of 12 owners in attendance Friday might(3 owners live out of state)

on-line Saturday night, with 9 of us drafting together 

drank heavily both nights, nice seeing people 

He's talking about the guy who had a draft who's group didn't care then made fun of an athlete who was taking precautions. No not all areas are high risk doesn't mean you can't get it at some point. 

I don't have any live drafts. The draft I do that I've been doing since HS we use to get together for but once College hit it was a bit hard. After college it was a bit easier but then some decided to go off and get married and had kids which complicated live drafts do to family duty. We would try to have the draft on Labor Day weekend if we could. After awhile it was just too complicated and went to online. We only get together to hand out the Title belt Custom made and throw a end of the season Party. Usually we made this SB Sunday given we knew everyone would be around. 

Users who are viewing this thread