What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You just can't make this stuff up (1 Viewer)

You actually could make that up. It's basically an article from The Onion except in this case it's published elsewhere and happens to be true.

The first time I heard that in China (or maybe Taiwan), I was taken aback, but it was obvious that it meant something very different in Mandarin Chinese than in English.

I did mention to my Chinese colleague that the word sounded very similar to a very bad racial slur in English and he should be careful using that mandarin word around English speakers for that very reason. 

It does hit me every time I'm on a zoom call and I hear it. 

I think what's worrisome is the self-flagellating language used in the apologies. To the students. Not unthinkable, not unheard of, just sad.

In Danish "he is nodding" would be "han nikker".

It is not words I have ever uttered outside of Denmark. Because the second word sounds a lot like the n word and that could lead to unforeseen issues.

Title of this thread makes me think this should go in here:

The Recount@therecount

From Trump's rally in Freeland, MI, last night:

CNN's Jim Acosta: "Why are you not wearing your mask?"

Rallygoer: "Because there's no COVID. It's a fake pandemic. Created to destroy the United States of America."

Title of this thread makes me think this should go in here:

The Recount@therecount

From Trump's rally in Freeland, MI, last night:

CNN's Jim Acosta: "Why are you not wearing your mask?"

Rallygoer: "Because there's no COVID. It's a fake pandemic. Created to destroy the United States of America."
Typical CNN.  Let's find the guy who gives us the dumbest answer and air it.  Contrasting how CNN covers BLM protests vs. Trump rallies is both funny and sad.  Mostly sad. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical CNN.  Let's find the guy who gives us the dumbest answer and air it.  Contrasting how CNN covers BLM protests vs. Trump rallies is both funny and sad.  Mostly sad. 
Ah yes.  Its the messenger that is the problem here.  Same as Woodward I suppose.

Ah yes.  Its the messenger that is the problem here.  Same as Woodward I suppose.
The slanted coverage is a major problem.  There is massive dishonesty in how racial incidents are covered and there is huge differences in the coverage depending on who's rally/protest it is.  

• Smile
Reactions: tad
The slanted coverage is a major problem.  There is massive dishonesty in how racial incidents are covered and there is huge differences in the coverage depending on who's rally/protest it is.  
Where do you watch your news?  

And out of CNN and Fox News, who would you say is more slanted?

And Im sure that guy was the only one there to think its a hoax too.
One lib says something stupid and there's a 1000 posts of "it's just one guy of course it's stupid".  One guy says this and the narrative changes to "i'm sure that was the only one there to think it's a hoax". 

These narratives are so laughably funny.  Everyone sees right through them at this point.

• Smile
Reactions: tad
Chaz McNulty said:
Where do you watch your news?  

And out of CNN and Fox News, who would you say is more slanted?
I don't watch news.  If I see a story in here which looks slanted, I google it and read several sources.  I look for facts, not opinion.  

Ramblin Wreck said:
One lib says something stupid and there's a 1000 posts of "it's just one guy of course it's stupid".  One guy says this and the narrative changes to "i'm sure that was the only one there to think it's a hoax". 

These narratives are so laughably funny.  Everyone sees right through them at this point.
There were very few people wearing mask or doing any social distancing. What do you think those people's thoughts are about covid-19?

jon_mx said:
Typical CNN.  Let's find the guy who gives us the dumbest answer and air it.  
If you asked 10 random maskless Trump rally attendees why they aren't wearing masks, I suspect we'd get 10 dumb answers.

There were very few people wearing mask or doing any social distancing. What do you think those people's thoughts are about covid-19?
Every day seems to be a new story proving them to be correct though.

The Penn State doctor caught lying and making up numbers.   The Georgia State QB had myocarditis a month ago but now turns out he doesn't have it.  When he was diagnosed people flipped out wanting to cancel the entire season for everyone.  All spring we heard there were going to be people dying in the streets over this and hospitals working on patients in the parking lots.  None of that is even close to true.

All that said, it's not a hoax which makes the guys comment dumb.  But there's absolutely a politically driven agenda behind it from both sides. 

If you asked 10 random maskless Trump rally attendees why they aren't wearing masks, I suspect we'd get 10 dumb answers.
Sure, but you could ask 10 random people at BLM protests what they think of white police officers, and you would get 10 ignorant hate-filled rants.  CNN is going to air the most reasonable and articulate answer they can find.

Sure, but you could ask 10 random people at BLM protests what they think of white police officers, and you would get 10 ignorant hate-filled rants.  CNN is going to air the most reasonable and articulate answer they can find.
Well, I think that's an exaggeration but I do agree that CNN slants coverage with a liberal bias. 

All that said, it's not a hoax which makes the guys comment dumb.  But there's absolutely a politically driven agenda behind it from both sides. 
Still haven't figured out what the "agenda" is from Democrats here.  Governors are trying to save lives and therefore damaging their own economies, you think they want that?

CNN Spin during BLM Protests:

“In general, being outdoors does help, due to fresh circulation of air and the antiviral effects of the UV in sunlight, as well as the virus’s fragile nature with desiccation” 

CNN spin at Trump Rallies:

"Look at these dumb people spreading the coronavirus."

Still haven't figured out what the "agenda" is from Democrats here.  Governors are trying to save lives and therefore damaging their own economies, you think they want that?
Yep, Cuomo tried to save lives sending Covid positive people to nursing homes. And the agenda is Dems doing everything they can to blame Trump and try to make him look bad. 

And the agenda is Dems doing everything they can to blame Trump and try to make him look bad. 
See this is the part I need explained:

Democratic governor "shuts down" the state to try and save lives, which of course hurts their states' economies.

How exactly does that make Trump look bad or put the blame on him?

I don't watch news.  If I see a story in here which looks slanted, I google it and read several sources.  I look for facts, not opinion.  
If this is in fact what you do, how is it that you always come away with the same opinions? Media bad, liberals bad, BLM bad, democrats bad, Trump also bad. But I will always defend the conservative viewpoint and trash those that disagree as brainwashed police hating marxists because systemic racism is made up.

Seems like your "facts" are pretty slanted themselves. 

And its been a continuing narrative among many who support Trump...that it will just all go away after the election...not that all Trump supporters feel that way...but that of those who feel its a hoax or buy into Qanon level crap...they are supporting Trump.

USC reconsidered after getting statements from Chinese students.  Also Patton has taught this same class and used the same term for many years. bizarre times we are in.

“Many of us are Chinese, some ethnically, some by nationality, and many others have spent extensive time in China,” the letter reads. “Most of us lived in China. We unanimously recognize Prof Patton’s use of ‘nei ge’ as an accurate rendition of common Chinese use, and an entirely appropriate and quite effective illustration of the use of pauses. Prof Patton used this example and hundreds of other examples in our classes over the years, providing richness, relevance and the real world impact students should learn.”

If this is in fact what you do, how is it that you always come away with the same opinions? Media bad, liberals bad, BLM bad, democrats bad, Trump also bad. But I will always defend the conservative viewpoint and trash those that disagree as brainwashed police hating marxists because systemic racism is made up.

It is pretty easy when you see the media reports a white supremist hunts down a young black child and kills him because he was wearing hoodie and then railroads him and demands his head. 

But the facts come in.  The 12-year old child is really 17 and was recently suspended for fighting.   The white supremist is really a democrat hispanic who routinely helps out advancing minority causes.   The only witness describes Treyvon as having Zimmerman pinned to the ground and throwing nonstop punches at his face MMA style.  Despite pleas to stop, Treyvon continues the beating.   And then a diverse jury of his peers including several african americans quickly rule it was self-defense.  Those are the facts as presented by the evidence in court.  My slant is truth.  The media time after time presents absolute BS in these types of cases.  

Ahmaud Arbery on the other hand was a case some people were defending the actions of the white guy who shot him.  I pointed out why i thought the DA was corrupt for not filing charges and made the legal arguments as to why thsse guys had no legitimate self-defense claim and need to be prosecuted for murder.

Here is a link from USA Today....

"Journalists are addicted above all else to the good story. And the saga of the bigoted, frustrated would-be law enforcement officer gunning down the helpless child was too good to check. It's also another example of how groupthink can shape news coverage."
Here is another link.

In my KOMO radio commentary of March 23, 2012, I said the following about the killing of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman:

“Thinking of 17-year old Trayvon the way we’d think of our own kids is exactly how to view this tragedy. The man who police say shot him, George Zimmerman, is a 28-year old CrimeWatch volunteer, who apparently did just about everything a Crimewatch volunteer SHOULDN’T do, such as following the 17 year old teen when a 911 dispatcher advised him not to, confronting him when he had no business doing so, and shooting him. Mr. Zimmerman was not standing his ground against an aggressor, he WAS the aggressor.  And Trayvon Martin received the death penalty for walking home in the rain wearing a hooded sweatshirt, and carrying a pack of candy.”

Everything I said was based on what the network news media had been reporting, and continued to report for months. And it was almost entirely wrong. 

yeah that phrase still sounds weird to me, and i hear on conference calls 2 or 3 times a week.  hard to get use to.

Maybe I missed the part about the white supremacist hunting down the young black child?

I didn't see anything like that in there.
Yeah...calling the guy bigoted does not rise to calling him a white supremacist.  Not even close.

Maybe I missed the part about the white supremacist hunting down the young black child?

I didn't see anything like that in there.
Here is a few....

Obama had his Justice Department spent an outlandish 2-years trying to find reasons for hate crime charges against Zimmerman after his acquittal.

Link 2

When George Zimmerman saw Trayvon Martin walking down the street in Sanford, Florida, he quickly assumed that the Black, hoodie-clad teenager was carrying a weapon.

He then pulled out his gun and fatally shot the young student, whose hands were gripping nothing more than a bag of Skittles.

The fact that George Zimmerman assumed so quickly that Trayvon Martin was armed smacks of the worst kind of prejudice and racism.

Link 3:  Racist thug and child killer George Zimmerman charged!

How Academe Turned Zimmerman into a Racist

Tweet by Democratic Presidential Candidate Buttigieg:

“Trayvon Martin would have been 25 today. How many 25th birthdays have been stolen from us by white supremacy, gun violence, prejudice, and fear? #BlackLivesMatter,” Buttigieg tweeted to his 1.6 million followers. 

Jeez Jon. I don't remember or frankly care about your thoughts on events from nearly a decade ago. I'm talking about TODAY, in Donald Trump's America, and your refusal, despite your declaration of fact-seeking, to ever move off of your original positions about pretty much anything. I'm not saying you're wrong to have those positions, I'm saying stop acting like you're the final arbiter of objective truth when your opinion NEVER changes regardless of evidence. 

Jeez Jon. I don't remember or frankly care about your thoughts on events from nearly a decade ago. I'm talking about TODAY, in Donald Trump's America, and your refusal, despite your declaration of fact-seeking, to ever move off of your original positions about pretty much anything. I'm not saying you're wrong to have those positions, I'm saying stop acting like you're the final arbiter of objective truth when your opinion NEVER changes regardless of evidence. 
100% untrue.  Believing the initial narrative on George Zimmerman, I thought he should hang.  Then as the facts rolled out, I started to change my mind until it was obvious how fraudulent the case was against him.  The Ahmaud Arbery earlier this year was the exact opposite.  When I first heard the story, I assumed the DA knew the facts and was correct to let the killers go as being justified.  But as I read the facts, it became apparent that the DA ignored the law, and there was no way that what they did was justified just based on what they said.  And the videos which came out were even more damaging.  I am easily more opened-minded than most folks here.  I have no issue trashing Republicans.  I can even compliment Democrats in the rare instance they make some sense.  I read stories from all sides with skepticism and make up my own mind by considering facts from a variety of sources from all political slants.     

As far as the Zimmerman case being 8-years old.  I believe it is still a very key case which is driving politics even today.  And his last lawsuit filed by Zimmerman is going to have a few heads rolling, including Ben Crump who should lose his licence as well as a chunk of money

Users who are viewing this thread