What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

True or False: "Patience" has held up as the best Guns N' Roses song (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
True.

I admittedly have never been the biggest fan of the band (really liked about half of Appetite, no use for the rest of it), can count on one hand the number of songs I like by them post-Appetite, but Patience is always a song I thought was great.  Loved it when the video came out and was played 26 times a day on MTV for months, and still love it 32 years later.

What does the FAA say?

I can say without any uncertainty that it's aged much better than One In A Million. I think Rocket Queen, heck, most of Appetite is better, though. If I hadn't so thoroughly played it out, it'd be their first blast by a mile. 

I think Rocket Queen, heck, most of Appetite is better, though.
I would say Rocket Queen here, except I think the sex sounds keep it from the top. Not that they offend me or anything, just an element of gimmickry that keeps it from the #1 spot. 

I don't think it's Patience either. And Sweet Child and Paradise City are overplayed. 

Pretty sure I just talked myself into 'Welcome to the Jungle' as the correct answer here. 

I would say Rocket Queen here, except I think the sex sounds keep it from the top. Not that they offend me or anything, just an element of gimmickry that keeps it from the #1 spot. 

I don't think it's Patience either. And Sweet Child and Paradise City are overplayed. 

Pretty sure I just talked myself into 'Welcome to the Jungle' as the correct answer here. 
FWIW, SPIN ranked all their songs a while back

The sex sounds are over the top but the guitar riffage after makes it sort of worth it to endure. Rocket was really the last quality song on the album that didn't play out to me for some reason.

I see you standin'
Standin' on your own
It's such a lonely place for you
For you to be
If you need a shoulder
Or if you need a friend
I'll be here standing
Until the bitter end
No one needs the sorrow
No one needs the pain
I hate to see you
Walking out there
Out in the rain
So don't chastise me
Or think I, I mean you harm
Of those that take you leave you strung out
Much too far
Baby yeah

November Rain is the answer here.  I we want to think Appetite "hasn't held up well", but that's just us saying we're getting old.  A lot of overplay, but Rocket Queen and Browstone still rock.

All their songs are mostly great, but Axl wailing like a dying cat over Slash's playing in that epic outro dings it a little.
Fixed for accuracy.
That's my issue with their cover of Knockin' on Heaven's Door.  Someone thought it was a good idea to fill almost every open space with an Oh-oh-oh-yeah or Eye-e-eye-e-eye.  Every Axl-ism.  Seriously, count them some time.  It's almost a parody and covers up some very sweet guitar.  :wall:   

Chris Cornell has a pretty cool cover of Patience. 

Not sure if it's my favorite GNR tune but Yesterdays is certainly up there for me. 

Paradise City before 4:47 is shlock.

Paradise City from 4:47 onwards is some of their finest work.  I swear I hear a guitar turn into a buzzsaw at 6:10.  That's what rock should be - play fast and hard.  I'd be fine if Axl had shut up.
Agreed. End of Paradise City is bad ###. 

I've always been Partial to Breakdown

"And if someone really cared, They'd take the time to spare, A moment to try and understand another ones despair....."

And Appetite still holds up, except for the tracks that never did for me (Brownstone & Jungle).

Oh, and You Could Be Mine is still a kick ### song. 

Last edited by a moderator:

For anyone who doesn't know the backstory to the sex sounds in Rocket Queen, it is worth looking in to.  Funny (and not so funny at the same time) story.

Interesting. On Spotify, if you go to Appetitite (Super Deluxe Edition) they have two acoustic versions of November Rain...from 1986.

And it's kind of fun to listen to them jam to Jumpin' Jack Flash.

:goodposting: I would say Appetite is better front to back to this day.
Yep. That album was just pure awesomeness all the way through. Coupled with the fact that the album dropped and people had no idea who Guns and Roses were....just a powder keg that exploded and then rocked the whole way.

Will never forget when that happened. Just a effing bomb that went off in rock and roll. 

Yep. That album was just pure awesomeness all the way through. Coupled with the fact that the album dropped and people had no idea who Guns and Roses were....just a powder keg that exploded and then rocked the whole way.

Will never forget when that happened. Just a effing bomb that went off in rock and roll. 
Well, kind of. It was out for a year before it really took off. That was after they toured and, of course, got tons of MTV airplay.

I was never a big fan.....at all. I mean yeah Appetite For Destruction is still a great album. But they never really did much after. Use Your illusion 1 and 2 ....decent. What else?

However the song that really has staying power for me personally?

Civil War.

LOVE THAT SONG.

:goodposting: I would say Appetite is better front to back to this day.
Hands down. It was their master work and they never came close to that magic.

Another band has that stigma for me too. Pearl Jam (don’t tell this to their die hard fans though) They never ever came close to the magic on their debut Ten. Ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was never a big fan.....at all. I mean yeah Appetite For Destruction is still a great album. But they never really did much after. Use Your illusion 1 and 2 ....decent. What else?

However the song that really has staying power for me personally?

Civil War.

LOVE THAT SONG.
Not so much a fan of Civil War. 

UYI I & II were a bloated, self-indulgent, over-produced last gasp by the band. Had it been a single album it would have been more worthy.

Everything after that was hot garbage. 

Not so much a fan of Civil War. 

UYI I & II were a bloated, self-indulgent, over-produced last gasp by the band. Had it been a single album it would have been more worthy.

Everything after that was hot garbage. 
I love the intensity and riffage of that tune and the lyrics ring so true to this day.

Agree on the albums though. Very hit or miss and over produced. 

Coma was a damn good jam on that one too though. 

November Rain......to this day.....massively overrated and does not hold up at all. 

Hands down. It was their master work and they never came close to that magic.

Another band has that stigma for me too. Pearl Jam (don’t tell this to their die hard fans though) They never ever came close to the magic on their debut Ten. Ever.
Huge fan of PJ. 

I don't think any album, as a whole, runs with Ten for obvious reasons. However Vs, Vitalogy, No Code and to a slightly lesser extent, Yield,  at a minimum are damn good albums. 

VS: Go, Animal, Daughter, Dissident, WMA, Rearview Mirror, Elderly Woman, Leash, Indifference
Vitalogy: Last Exit, Spin the Black Circle, Not For You, Nothingman, Whipping, Corduroy, Better Man, Immortality
No Code: Hail Hail, In My Tree, Smile, Off He Goes, Habit, Red Mosquito, Lukin, Present Tense, Around the bend
Yield: Brain of J, Given to Fly, Wishlist, Do The Evolution, MFC, Low Light, In Hiding... 

Then their albums IMO have increasing numbers of duds/filler but still feature some true gems:

Binaural (Breakerfall, Light Years, Nothing as it Seems, Insignificance, Of the Girl)
Riot Act: Save You, I am Mine, Thumbing my Way, You Are, 1/2 Full, Arc (Incredible Live)
Avocado: Life Wasted, World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, Come Back...

The last 3 albums have had pretty limited goodness, I agree (Just Breathe, Unthought Known, The End, Sirens, Lightning Bolt, Pendulum, Sleepin by Myself...)

Not a fan of PJ since they and Nirvana wrecked EVERYTHING... No seriously, the decline of western civilization will be traced directly to Nevermind.

Having said that, Rearviewmirror is epically awesome. Esp the linked SNL performance.

I never "got" Pearl Jam the same way I did Nirvana. Nirvana to me was groudbreaking and truly unique; PJ seemed to me to lump into a cluster of "other" grunge bands like STP, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc. -- one or two solid songs, the rest just kind of undistinguished from the rest of their cataloge and overall genre.

As to GnR, Appetite for Destruction was like VH's 1984 -- truly blew the top off the rock scene when it dropped, and one of those albums I remember exactly where I was when I first heard it, such was it's immediate impact knowing you were hearing something that was going to change the landscape.

Patience seemed to me GnR's addition to the entire trend of rock ballads that were coming out around the mid/late 80s -- Tesla's "Love Song," Warrant's "Heaven," Cinderella's "Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone," Skid Row's "I Remember You," and of course, Poison's "Every Rose Has a Thorn."

Because it was part of a trend of the time, it specifically doesn't hold up today IMO in the same way.

As an illustration, compare this to the Who's "Love Reign O'er Me" as a power ballad that departed from the band's normal stock and endures over time standing on it's own as an extraordinary song.

Paradise City before 4:47 is shlock.

Paradise City from 4:47 onwards is some of their finest work.  I swear I hear a guitar turn into a buzzsaw at 6:10.  That's what rock should be - play fast and hard.  I'd be fine if Axl had shut up.
Paradise City is great musically from start to finish. Axl’s singing throughout downgrades it big time. I recall hearing it for the first time and thinking it was pretty bad ###. And then Axl started singing. Ugh. 

Users who are viewing this thread