What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

That One Guy In Your League... (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Every league seems to have "that guy" - we all want to pretend like we all draft with sharks so we have to be the sharkest of sharks, but we all know that isn't totally true. Even big money leagues have guppies in them. Every year someone in one of my leagues makes a goofy pick that makes me question everything I thought I knew about them. 

So who's "that guy" in your league - the guy who takes the homer pick over the better player? The guy who uses nothing but default rankings, and if they do have a "sleeper" they draft them 3 rounds early? The guy who takes a QB in the 1st and a D/ST in the 8th?  

That guy who ruins some of your late round fliers and/or gifts better players to the teams around them by not being a "stopper" in a snake? 

Who's “that guy” in your league 8 what did they do?  Just curious. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My league: 

Tom Brady in the 5th, after only Mahomes & Jackson, ahead of K.Murray, Watson, Wilson & Brees. 

While I'm down on Brady, he is "starter-worthy" in 12-team+ leagues. But I would never in a million years think he'd go before that list. 

Perhaps not completely egregious, but this one stands out to me. 

Not specifically what you're talking about, but I've got a cap/contacts dynasty league and whenever we have a new owner theres always that /one guy/ who finds a way to dump his bad cap/contracts in a trade with the new owner.

My league: 

Tom Brady in the 5th, after only Mahomes & Jackson, ahead of K.Murray, Watson, Wilson & Brees. 

While I'm down on Brady, he is "starter-worthy" in 12-team+ leagues. But I would never in a million years think he'd go before that list. 

Perhaps not completely egregious, but this one stands out to me. 
In a 14 team PPR league with two of them, they completely screw up the draft.

That Guy A:  Went Watson at 1.11 (Mahomes was only other QB off the board at 1.08), then went Waller at 3.11, Higbee at 4.04, capped by Tennessee defense at 6.04!!!  Gibson Ruggs Lamb Moss next four rounds just gobbling up every rookie 

That Guy B: Went Lamar at 1.14, Kittle at 2.01, then went for the trifecta and grabbed Wilson AND Dak at the 3/4 turn. Did I mention it’s a start 1 QB league? Didn’t take a single WR or RB until the 5th in a 14 teamer! 

Not specifically what you're talking about, but I've got a cap/contacts dynasty league and whenever we have a new owner theres always that /one guy/ who finds a way to dump his bad cap/contracts in a trade with the new owner.
when I joined a dynasty league, "that guy" zeroed in on me within 8 seconds. I was flooded with offers for his aging mediocre players. It was kind of annoying but also kind of hilarious. I was playing "whack-a-mole" with the "reject trade" button. 

That Guy B: Went Lamar at 1.14, Kittle at 2.01, then went for the trifecta and grabbed Wilson AND Dak at the 3/4 turn. Did I mention it’s a start 1 QB league? Didn’t take a single WR or RB until the 5th in a 14 teamer! 
"That Guy B" is going to be very, very difficult to top. 

lol 

I just noticed that "That Guy" in my league, a 49ers fan, also took Kittle 2.07.  Which, ADP-wise, is not a bad pick at all. In the context that he selected him ahead of Kelce makes it a homer pick. I am also a Niners fan. But since Kittle did not get traded to KC where Mahomie will be throwing the rock to him, I would select Kelce 1000x out of 1000, and twice on Sunday.  As a bonus, I now have to face Kelce week 1, when that never should have happened. Friggin homer picks, maaaaaaaaan. :doh:  

2-keeper league. Dude has second overall pick and decides to keep Aaron Jones in that spot..... turns out the guy drafting first goes Kamara so he could have had Barkley at 1.02..... (Mccafrey was being kept by another team). 

Same guy drafts Kareem Hunt in the second and Fournette in the 3rd. 

Oh ya, Ruggs in the 5th and Justin Jackson in the 6th to round it out.  :wall:

That Guy B: Went Lamar at 1.14, Kittle at 2.01, then went for the trifecta and grabbed Wilson AND Dak at the 3/4 turn. Did I mention it’s a start 1 QB league? Didn’t take a single WR or RB until the 5th in a 14 teamer! 

Assume he must be looking to corner the QB market for trade bait. Who knows!!?!?

"That Guy B" is going to be very, very difficult to top. 

lol 

I just noticed that "That Guy" in my league, a 49ers fan, also took Kittle 2.07.  Which, ADP-wise, is not a bad pick at all. In the context that he selected him ahead of Kelce makes it a homer pick. I am also a Niners fan. But since Kittle did not get traded to KC where Mahomie will be throwing the rock to him, I would select Kelce 1000x out of 1000, and twice on Sunday.  As a bonus, I now have to face Kelce week 1, when that never should have happened. Friggin homer picks, maaaaaaaaan. :doh:  
I favor Kelce over Kittle, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all to favor Kittle.  KC has more mouths to feed which favors Kittle....

I have one but in recent years he has stopped. 

Not to hijack thread, but has anyone had that guy or those guys freaking out about the COVID thing to the point where that's all they focus on?  I have had 2 owners in my league very negative in group texts regarding the season.....   We are doing our draft at the local BWs (as normal) and one guy is all wigged out about that as well.

Not to hijack thread, but has anyone had that guy or those guys freaking out about the COVID thing to the point where that's all they focus on?  I have had 2 owners in my league very negative in group texts regarding the season.....   We are doing our draft at the local BWs (as normal) and one guy is all wigged out about that as well.
Yeah, a lot of folks are very anxious about the pandemic right now. My advice is give them their space, don't force them into an indoor situation close to others, and focus on the fun aspect that FF can offer as a respite. 

Assume he must be looking to corner the QB market for trade bait. Who knows!!?!?
We have a guy who always drafts more QB help than makes sense to me. I raised one eyebrow at Wilson at 3.06 but I raised both when he took Watson at 5.06. It would be one thing if we were one of those leagues where you could successfully sell one to the highest bidder later on but we've just never been that kind of league.

Let's for sure not turn this much outside of Football. We have entire forums devoted to non football.

My take is YES, some people are more worried about it than others. I assume you like the people in your league and are friends with them. So just be a friend. Meaning acknowledge what they're feeling and figure out if/how you can accommodate them.

We had our live draft Sunday night. 7 live and 3 on zoom. Worked perfectly. It's 2020. There's technology for that stuff. Make it work. 

Tons of it depends on the entry fee.

For instance I LOVE Tom Brady this year. Tampa Bay to the Super Bowl type love. I'd absolutely take him well above his ADP in a league with a relatively low entry fee. Because it's a ton of fun.
How, after almost 20 years of coming here, did I just realize you're from Knoxville????

Many years ago, we had a guy draft 5 kickers in our 12-team PPR league.  i can't remember how long the draft was, like 16-18 rounds.  He kept saying he was hoarding them as trade bait.  I don't remember how he finished that season, but I don't think he did too well.
I know I'm always looking to make a move for the top kicker

Keeper league, 7 players, any position, any number per position. Team Bonkers keeps 2 QB's.....then proceeds to draft 3 more in the first 5 rounds. This, after watching a team start the year with 4 QB's last year, hoping a few would be trade bait, only to never trade any and just drop them when necessary for attempted roster fixes at other positions. This years guy didn't get the memo I guess.

In a 14 team PPR league with two of them, they completely screw up the draft.

That Guy A:  Went Watson at 1.11 (Mahomes was only other QB off the board at 1.08), then went Waller at 3.11, Higbee at 4.04, capped by Tennessee defense at 6.04!!!  Gibson Ruggs Lamb Moss next four rounds just gobbling up every rookie 

Oh man....these have me chuckling.  🤣

We have one guy in a work league who always drafts his entire starting lineup in the first 9 rounds.  Including K and D/ST.
I absolutely cannot convince my brother in law not to do this. His argument is that in Round 9 he can either go for the best defense who he will use every single week, or go for some RB who he only plans on using twice to cover byes.  
He’s won the league twice in 8 years so I said screw it let him do him...

What I find super fun in these too is how often the GM who does non conventional stuff winds up doing well.

I remember learning this on a trip with a bunch of guys and several were REALLY good poker players. Like sharps. And one guy named Tom got in that was much less proficient.

And Tom took all their money.

The story was "Tom's an idiot. He doesn't know how to play poker". 

I was more like, "Is taking everyone's money not the object of the game"?

And I know, Tom got lucky. But still, this plays out this way more often than I'd think it would. 

What I find super fun in these too is how often the GM who does non conventional stuff winds up doing well.

I remember learning this on a trip with a bunch of guys and several were REALLY good poker players. Like sharps. And one guy named Tom got in that was much less proficient.

And I know, Tom got lucky. But still, this plays out this way more often than I'd think it would. 
Yep.  Think of that Raven homer in your league that drafted Mark Ingram at 1.05 last year and then took Lamar Jackson in the 3rd.  What an idiot, right?  He who laughs last....🤣

I play a lot of poker and I can tell you when you're sitting at a table with a guy who's got no idea what he's doing or is drunk off his ### everything you know goes out the window.  Tom ends up putting you on tilt all night, and instead of just playing the cards you're dealt you end up playing as though Tom /should know what he's doing because COME ON/ getting you even more in tilt as he wins with terrible hands he had no reason to even be playing.

I hate Tom.  He doesn't even know how to play poker.

My cousin in my one league.  Always the craziest picks.

This year he gets 1.01, my son gets 1.02 and since he knows my cousin is a Dallas fan he starts talking up Zeke, hoping he selects him at 1.01 and then my son would get McCaffrey.

Draft starts and he selects T. Hill.  My son gets up from his chair celebrating, yahooo!!!!

Here's his draft through 11 rounds

1.01 Hill

2.12 Prescott

3.01 M.Gordon

4.12 Lockett

5.01 L. Bell

6.12 Gronk

7.01 Edelman

8.12 Brady

9.01 San Franscisco

10.12 Prater

Yikes

I used to play tournaments at one of the area the card rooms once upon a time - did ok. Never won one but cashed a couple times. 

I’ve played with a guy like Tom. Everyone at the table very much dislikes Tom and his incredibly supernaturally good luck.   :lol:  

I play a lot of poker and I can tell you when you're sitting at a table with a guy who's got no idea what he's doing or is drunk off his ### everything you know goes out the window.  Tom ends up putting you on tilt all night, and instead of just playing the cards you're dealt you end up playing as though Tom /should know what he's doing because COME ON/ getting you even more in tilt as he wins with terrible hands he had no reason to even be playing.

Yep. When I’m at a table/FF Draft with Tom, I adjust. In those leagues with more causal fans, I tend to be more aggressive hunting top QB and TE talent early in the draft. If you’re a shark swimming in minnow infested waters, you can almost always grab great RB sleepers late.  

Tons of it depends on the entry fee.

For instance I LOVE Tom Brady this year. Tampa Bay to the Super Bowl type love. I'd absolutely take him well above his ADP in a league with a relatively low entry fee. Because it's a ton of fun.
I agree the pick wasn’t that outrageous. But this is a 20-year league, and “that guy” has been in it for 15 of them. And he knows by now that after the first couple QB go in the 3rd-Ish, there’s a drop to about the 7-8th rounds. Or he should know that because it happens every year. 

To your later point about how well they sometimes do well, this same guy had the 1.12 one year a while back In 2004 & took PManning/Dante Culpepper 1-2 at the turn. Everyone assumed he’d trade one of them but that wasn’t his plan. 

He somehow managed to play the right QB every week, and made the playoffs. 

me, fantasy genius, went 5-9 that year. 

1.01 Hill

2.12 Prescott

3.01 M.Gordon

4.12 Lockett

5.01 L. Bell

6.12 Gronk

7.01 Edelman

8.12 Brady

9.01 San Franscisco

10.12 Prater

Yikes
The scary thing is, if you didn’t tell me he drafted first & passed on CMC, I’d say, “hmmm...not a terrible team” assuming he drafted from the 10 or something. 

This team *could* win it all. It probably won’t, but it’s certainly a competitive roster. One that very likely could have been much much much better, but yeah. Your head might explode if this team beats you this year. :lol:  

Yep. When I’m at a table/FF Draft with Tom, I adjust. In those leagues with more causal fans, I tend to be more aggressive hunting top QB and TE talent early in the draft. If you’re a shark swimming in minnow infested waters, you can almost always grab great RB sleepers late.  
Exactly. I"m fascinated by how unadapting people are. I get the "trust the process" idea. But at some point, you have to adapt. 

The behavior you describe cracks me up.   Not Tom's, but yours. 

I play in a few poker tournaments each year that always have these crazy, random or just flat out drunk guys playing in them.    Much more enjoyable than watching how the drunk/fool plays is watching the reaction it elicit's from the "takes poker way too seriously" guys, apparently like you. 

Typically, I'll be able to get a nice advantage 3 to 4 hands per night being in a pot with Mr Too Serious, even though I'm a recreational player.    The only reason this happens is that Mr Too Serious is on tilt due to Drunk Guy playing however the hell he wants and not following the patterns that Mr Too Serious insists that he should be following. 

Quite comical actually. 

The scary thing is, if you didn’t tell me he drafted first & passed on CMC, I’d say, “hmmm...not a terrible team” assuming he drafted from the 10 or something. 

This team *could* win it all. It probably won’t, but it’s certainly a competitive roster. One that very likely could have been much much much better, but yeah. Your head might explode if this team beats you this year. :lol:  
Yeah, it's crazy.  The best draft he's ever had he couldn't make it and auto drafted.  He made the playoffs that year.  

The behavior you describe cracks me up.   Not Tom's, but yours. 

I play in a few poker tournaments each year that always have these crazy, random or just flat out drunk guys playing in them.    Much more enjoyable than watching how the drunk/fool plays is watching the reaction it elicit's from the "takes poker way too seriously" guys, apparently like you. 

Typically, I'll be able to get a nice advantage 3 to 4 hands per night being in a pot with Mr Too Serious, even though I'm a recreational player.    The only reason this happens is that Mr Too Serious is on tilt due to Drunk Guy playing however the hell he wants and not following the patterns that Mr Too Serious insists that he should be following. 

Quite comical actually. 
Yeah, it's hilarious watching the "by the book" guys getting frustrated when this guy sucks out on them or hits his terrible hands.

I just keep thinking to myself, if this is playing terrible, why would you tell him or want him to change?  I want him playing as long as possible and to have a good time. 

I favor Kelce over Kittle, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all to favor Kittle.  KC has more mouths to feed which favors Kittle....
It’s not the worst pick ever. But it’s the kind of pick that made 11 other guys groan over the homer pick. 

It’s not unreasonable - and from a “hey, draft should you want to watch play” standpoint i get it.  But if you look at his roster there’s like 10 guys who have played for the Niners. You can set your watch by it. If you’re at 9 and he’s at 10, if there’s a current or former Niner on the board and someone at the same position you need, you can take another position because you know he’s gonna take the 49er. Every time.

He also avoids players from teams in the Niners division. He passed on Carson at 3.06 because he hates the Seahawks. He passed on Metcalf for the same reason. 

His team will win some games. But he could have had a better draft if he took off the homer glasses. 

Quite comical actually. 
It’s decidedly less amusing when Tom comes and sits at the anchor seat at your blackjack table & hits on 15 against the dealer’s 4 taking the dealer’s 10.

Naturally, Dealer’s 14 then gets hit 5x to make 21. :doh:  

This takes me back to our very first draft, in 1984.

We had no idea what we were doing.  Six teams, picking same order each round.  My brother drew the ace, and took John Riggins.  Obvious choice, coming off the rushing TD record the year before.  The guy at 6 figured that kickers score the most points, so he should take one.  Ali Haji-Sheikh, first round pick.  That left Joe Montana for team 1.  Bottom of round 2, Mr. Genius decides he needs a RB.  So he takes Mike Guman.  Never heard of him?  Neither did we.  That left Marcus Allen for team 1.  Needless to say, he ran away with the league.  All thanks to That One Guy.

Fast forward, one of our divisions is named for that Guy.  He wised up and became a decent owner, won a championship before handing the team down to his son.  He died about 20 years ago.   Our other division is named for another founder who passed.  And our playoff trophy is named for a third.  We hope we're done naming things.  Four original owners remain.

That guy had been in the league all 31 years.

His one championship was a year he went 0-7, then won 7 straight to make playoffs and won the lowest scoring title game in our leagues history.

He is also the "never say die" guy. And also the least of the 16 owners.

And funny enough this year was his finest drafting effort ever. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread