What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Police Officers (1 Viewer)

spodog

Footballguy
Just did a search on this board using only the word police.    Almost 20,000 results came back, and after reviewing a few pages, it seemed most matched the same cesspool of commentary that you could find when you watch the nightly broadcast media news. 

There are over 800,000 uniformed police officers in the United States.   Like teachers, they are underpaid, under-appreciated public servants.   Almost all of them go about their duties every day without ending up on the news.    They don't go looking for trouble, they are who you rely on when trouble finds you.

I've known many police officers, both personally and professionally.   They do a thankless job in our society. 

Starting this thread to house examples of policemen and policewomen contributing to society. 

My brother in law is a police officer in Denver. He is a good guy and tries to help society. I know that my sister is worried about him with all of the recent backlash against police officers. Although thankfully he was recently promoted to detective so he is at less of a risk now.

There are many examples of police officers risking their own lives to apprehend criminals so they do not make the national headlines. Like in the below news article. The criminal had semi-auto guns and the police managed to apprehend him without shooting him.

https://weartv.com/news/local/police-suspect-in-averted-mass-shooting-at-bass-pro-shops-in-spanish-fort-identified

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did a search on this board using only the word police.    Almost 20,000 results came back, and after reviewing a few pages, it seemed most matched the same cesspool of commentary that you could find when you watch the nightly broadcast media news. 

There are over 800,000 uniformed police officers in the United States.   Like teachers, they are underpaid, under-appreciated public servants.   Almost all of them go about their duties every day without ending up on the news.    They don't go looking for trouble, they are who you rely on when trouble finds you.

I've known many police officers, both personally and professionally.   They do a thankless job in our society. 

Starting this thread to house examples of policemen and policewomen contributing to society. 
Cool.  Now do Catholic priests next. 

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
When y'all say they have a "thankless" job - what does that mean?
Probably get berated quite a bit when pulling people over. Let’s see some body cam footage of someone saying “don’t you know who I am?” or “I’ll have your job for this” or “my taxes pay your salary.” How the rich/poor interact with police is a lot different. 
I knew a “dirty” cop. He was more of a steal your weed or try to see some tatas dirty cop than an “on the take” type but he was a real loser. He got fired (for the latter.) So they aren’t infallible, but most are doing hero’s work and are ready to protect everyone. 

Probably get berated quite a bit when pulling people over. Let’s see some body cam footage of someone saying “don’t you know who I am?” or “I’ll have your job for this” or “my taxes pay your salary.” How the rich/poor interact with police is a lot different. 
I knew a “dirty” cop. He was more of a steal your weed or try to see some tatas dirty cop than an “on the take” type but he was a real loser. He got fired (for the latter.) So they aren’t infallible, but most are doing hero’s work and are ready to protect everyone. 

I think calling it heroes work is overstating it. Its a job. An important job, no doubt. But a job.

And I find the "thankless" part interesting considering they are literally thanked and lauded almost daily. Whether it be in person by civilians, by the President, or on a message board. Not to mention, they make a salary. 

I think calling it heroes work is overstating it. Its a job. An important job, no doubt. But a job.

And I find the "thankless" part interesting considering they are literally thanked and lauded almost daily. Whether it be in person by civilians, by the President, or on a message board. Not to mention, they make a salary. 
A decent to good salary at that. With a pension that can hit 6 figures after they decide to retire.

The "hero" squabble probably not worth it as its in the eye of the beholder.  But generally when you risk your life to protect other people thats sort of heroic, seems basic.

In terms of thankless I'm not sure if you read the first post but I think it encapsulates what is meant by thankless fairly well "Just did a search on this board using only the word police.  Almost 20,000 results came back, and after reviewing a few pages, it seemed most matched the same cesspool of commentary that you could find when you watch the nightly broadcast media news. "

The "hero" squabble probably not worth it as its in the eye of the beholder.  But generally when you risk your life to protect other people thats sort of heroic, seems basic.

In terms of thankless I'm not sure if you read the first post but I think it encapsulates what is meant by thankless fairly well "Just did a search on this board using only the word police.  Almost 20,000 results came back, and after reviewing a few pages, it seemed most matched the same cesspool of commentary that you could find when you watch the nightly broadcast media news. "
I think people are generally appreciative of good police work and want some of it to improve.

On this same message board, you can also see a thread thanking cops. And lauding them. Like, for example, this one. 

And every time someone posts a police abuse/killing story, there are 10 folks in there defending the cops. Oh - and this is only one message board. 

What about this message board?

Or this one?

--

Its pretty clear they are thanked all the time. So why do some have such a complex about working a "thankless" job? 

Because the premise of the thread is a not so thinly veiled attempt for one "side" to take ownership of being thankful towards law enforcement, while painting the other "side" as against them. Totally uncool narrative, but not a new one. 
It does appear that people are becoming anti-law enforcement. There is the defund the police movement, and people talking about systemic issues in law enforcement. Even in this thread you have someone comparing them to priests.

I get the feeling from what little media i read that there are people in the general population turning against the police. We need to stand up to that and get the population to stand behind the police as an organization and to view the few bad eggs the same way that a bad egg would be viewed in any job.

Instead of complaining about the thread, why not talk about your appreciation for law enforcement?

Because the premise of the thread is a not so thinly veiled attempt for one "side" to take ownership of being thankful towards law enforcement, while painting the other "side" as against them. Totally uncool narrative, but not a new one. 
So it is right wing posters in here activating wet blanket mode?

I think people are generally appreciative of good police work and want some of it to improve.
Right, and sorry to sound like a broken record but there are many, many threads here focused on the errors they make and how to improve them.

This was one thread to share the feel good examples of police work.  Apparently some people are threatened by that and don't care to share any...thats ok just a weird vibe to actually attack the discussion..  Apparently reddit, which has more than half a million subreddits dedicated to stuff like people that like to pee on each other...apparently a thread on positive police work there proves they are universally adored or something.

It does appear that there are people that are anti-law enforcement. There is the defund the police movement, and people talking about systemic issues in law enforcement. Even in this thread you have someone comparing them to priests.

I get the feeling from what little media i read that there are people in the general population that is turning against the police. We need to stand up to that and get the population to stand behind the police as an organization and to view the few bad eggs the same way that a bad egg would be viewed in any job.
One can think that there are systemic issues in police departments and also be in favor of defunding the police and not be anti law enforcement. Just seems like a misunderstanding of the issues. People can want police reform without being against the police

Tool said:
One can think that there are systemic issues in police departments and also be in favor of defunding the police and not be anti law enforcement. Just seems like a misunderstanding of the issues. People can want police reform without being against the police
If you want to defund the police you are anti police, because you want them to lose their jobs. 

There is also not a systemic issue, it is a few bad eggs. We need the media to cover the positive. If the media states everyday the police are bad, then people will start to believe it.

I am linking wiki, but many studies show this effect to be real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_truth_effect

parasaurolophus said:
So it is right wing posters in here activating wet blanket mode?
Wet blanket mode was a laugh out loud. 

I have LEOs in my direct and my extended family. I support my county PBA every year, I literally love LEOs. And I am happy to contribute positively to this thread going forward and will leave it to that. 

I agree there needs to be WAY MORE coverage of positive policing stories. There's probably a 100,000:1 ratio of positive, community outreach, etc. stories for every bad one. It doesn't mean we shouldn't pay attention when things go wrong, but the lack of anything positive seemingly ever being discussed is a miss IMO.

Grace Under Pressure said:
No veil, thin or otherwise.  No intent for ownership.   No paint, not even a need for sides.    The thread description and it's intent is clearly stated.

Liberals, Conservatives, Independents, whatever.    Everyone benefits from having law enforcement available to them when trouble finds them.   Just like every profession, there are some that take advantage of their position, others that need to be weeded out.    Trends come and go, but a trendy initiative to shame 800K servants is beyond the pale.

Also, what may be counter-intuitive, is that locals actually need more money to go towards policing, not less. Then decisions can be made on how to best allocate resources. "De-fund the police" is a misnomer for what really needs to happen to help improve these relationships. 

CNN Article from March of '19:   Santa Anna, CA police do their job, recovering a stolen truck, gardening tools and cash stolen from a landscaper.     Since the cash had to be impounded as evidence, landscaper couldn't pay his rent.     Police officers use their own cash to replenish the funds and go to Home Depot to replace the tools so the landscaper can continue to work while the case makes it way to court. 

No veil, thin or otherwise.  No intent for ownership.   No paint, not even a need for sides.    The thread description and it's intent is clearly stated.

Liberals, Conservatives, Independents, whatever.    Everyone benefits from having law enforcement available to them when trouble finds them.   Just like every profession, there are some that take advantage of their position, others that need to be weeded out.    Trends come and go, but a trendy initiative to shame 800K servants is beyond the pale.
Agreed on the bolded 100%.

Frankly if the first 2 sentences in the original post weren't there this would be more genuine effort IMO, along with the narrative about the shaming of 800K servants. If it's not the intent to frame sides, then refrain from the partisan swipes, even subtle ones.

And I'll keep it to the positive side so not to derail this. Positive policing is a much needed discussion, and there are tons of examples of it going on every day.

If you are on Twitter, I recommend following @NYPDShea, Commissioner Dermot Shea of the NYPD. They sound out a lot of information on community relations and positive policing stories. There's a lot of positive going on with the NYPD, which may run counter-intuitive to people outside the area.

If you want to defund the police you are anti police, because you want them to lose their jobs. 

There is also not a systemic issue, it is a few bad eggs. We need the media to cover the positive. If the media states everyday the police are bad, then people will start to believe it.

I’m for better policing. Period. If some cops lose their jobs and those cops are good decent cops then I feel bad for them but that’s a necessary fallout of a better system. 

I think a system where cops are covering up for bad police work is a systemic issue. Cops have a ‘no snitching’ policy. You know it, I know it. That has to change.

I have LEOs in my direct and my extended family. I support my county PBA every year, I literally love LEOs. And I am happy to contribute positively to this thread going forward and will leave it to that. 

I agree there needs to be WAY MORE coverage of positive policing stories. There's probably a 100,000:1 ratio of positive, community outreach, etc. stories for every bad one. It doesn't mean we shouldn't pay attention when things go wrong, but the lack of anything positive seemingly ever being discussed is a miss IMO.
Yes!

black lives matter

policing needs to improve

policing is an overwhelmingly positive to our society and overwhelmingly down well

we will all be better off if we support police and celebrate good policing (this thread)

This is an incorrect post. 

But I know people want to only talk about the positive in this thread, so I'm going to leave it for now.

MTskibum said:
It does appear that there are people that are anti-law enforcement. There is the defund the police movement, and people talking about systemic issues in law enforcement. Even in this thread you have someone comparing them to priests.
The point obviously went right over your head.  The majority of police are good.  They are thanked.  They are appreciated for their work and heroism.  My brother and uncle are police officers.  I am proud of them.  However, there are bad police and a flawed system that protects these bad actors.  Just like the majority of priests aren't child molesters, I think one should be able to condemn the bad actors and the system that supports them.  Do you think I'm attacking all priests when I say the Catholic church must stop protecting molesters?  

This is an incorrect post. 

But I know people want to only talk about the positive in this thread, so I'm going to leave it for now.
All your post does is tell me I am wrong with no other context. Isn't that text book trolling? What other outcome could come from your post except to derail the thread.

I am not sure what I have done to deserve that, but I wish you the best in your opinion.

And a positive story about a police officer rescuing a child to keep the thread on track.

https://www.kxii.com/2020/09/03/ohio-police-officer-acts-quickly-to-rescue-child-from-rollover-crash/

The point obviously went right over your head.  The majority of police are good.  They are thanked.  They are appreciated for their work and heroism.  My brother and uncle are police officers.  I am proud of them.  However, there are bad police and a flawed system that protects these bad actors.  Just like the majority of priests aren't child molesters, I think one should be able to condemn the bad actors and the system that supports them.  Do you think I'm attacking all priests when I say the Catholic church must stop protecting molesters?  

Nothing goes over my head, my reflexes are too quick. I would catch it.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/430867889329846059/

And a police officer risking their life to save someone from a train in California.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/13/watch-officer-risks-life-save-man-stuck-train-tracks-seconds/

All your post does is tell me I am wrong with no other context. Isn't that text book trolling? What other outcome could come from your post except to derail the thread.

I am not sure what I have done to deserve that, but I wish you the best in your opinion.

And a positive story about a police officer rescuing a child to keep the thread on track.

https://www.kxii.com/2020/09/03/ohio-police-officer-acts-quickly-to-rescue-child-from-rollover-crash/

I was honestly trying to be aware of the desires of many in this thread to keep it all positive.

I disagree with you because:

1) While Defund the Police is a HORRIBLE name, the intent behind it is good. And likely beneficial to police. It would take a lot of issues off their plate for which they are not trained and transfer those to trained mental health professionals. And it would (ideally) provide better training to them and, by getting rid of war machines (for lack of a better term), help change the interactions and attitudes in a positive way. Thus improving their daily interactions.

2) The few bad eggs theory - this has been discussed ad naseum. But its not just a few bad eggs when there is a hard blue line and cops refuse to turn in other cops. And refuse to cooperate with internal affairs. And generally just cover for their fellow officers instead of demanding them be better.

Again, I'm happy to discuss this further, but I reckon peole would rather it be done in a different thread.

I was honestly trying to be aware of the desires of many in this thread to keep it all positive.

I disagree with you because:

1) While Defund the Police is a HORRIBLE name, the intent behind it is good. And likely beneficial to police. It would take a lot of issues off their plate for which they are not trained and transfer those to trained mental health professionals. And it would (ideally) provide better training to them and, by getting rid of war machines (for lack of a better term), help change the interactions and attitudes in a positive way. Thus improving their daily interactions.

2) The few bad eggs theory - this has been discussed ad naseum. But its not just a few bad eggs when there is a hard blue line and cops refuse to turn in other cops. And refuse to cooperate with internal affairs. And generally just cover for their fellow officers instead of demanding them be better.

Again, I'm happy to discuss this further, but I reckon peole would rather it be done in a different thread.
The intent of defunding police is a good thing? Wow 

This is laughably incorrect. "Defund the police" means what it says.

The below is from a recent City Council proposal in Denver...

...proposal from Councilwoman Candi CdeBaca that sought to abolish the Denver Police Department and replace it with a "peace force" that would have given only a minority of officers arrest powers and the right to use firearms.

The proposal to abolish the police department and create a peace force was the brainchild of two members of the public who'd come up with the language in the aftermath of the massive George Floyd protests that swept through the streets of Denver starting in late May.

https://www.westword.com/news/denver-city-council-rejects-peace-force-proposal-to-abolish-police-department-11776740

There are specific cases of this happening where it makes the news. However this goes back to my point. There are 800,000 LEO's in the US. What is happening is that there are a few bad eggs, however every time that it happens it makes the news.

There are many, many, many studies that show that the more you are exposed to a concept the more likely you are to believe it. The media has been covering bad police stories at a national level almost continuously the last 10 years. I think that people are greatly mistaking the amount of police brutality and crimes relative to the very large size of the LEO population.

For example the homicide rate for Black Americans is an unbelievable 3%. This is a crazy high number. We would save vastly more Black people by increasing the funding to police, provide better training, etc. We need to save the lives of Black Americans and how we do that is by reducing the crime rate.

I am really worried that the Black Lives Matter movement will have the opposite effect and as we defund the police more Black people will die in the coming years.

This is laughably incorrect. "Defund the police" means what it says.

The below is from a recent City Council proposal in Denver...

...proposal from Councilwoman Candi CdeBaca that sought to abolish the Denver Police Department and replace it with a "peace force" that would have given only a minority of officers arrest powers and the right to use firearms.

The proposal to abolish the police department and create a peace force was the brainchild of two members of the public who'd come up with the language in the aftermath of the massive George Floyd protests that swept through the streets of Denver starting in late May.

https://www.westword.com/news/denver-city-council-rejects-peace-force-proposal-to-abolish-police-department-11776740
It’s not ‘laughably incorrect. This is broadly speaking spot on. 

There will be different proposals for different options across smaller jurisdictions.

?  What is hard to see.  Wanting to improve policing by defunding the police is like wanting to improve education by defunding teachers.  That ia about as straight forward of an analogy as you can get.  
I think it’s straightforward to you. But in the details it’s not straightforward at all. How would defund teachers work in your mind?

I think it’s straightforward to you. But in the details it’s not straightforward at all. How would defund teachers work in your mind?
Why do I need a plan?  Those holding up defund the police signs have no idea what that would work.  

We have a friend that every now and again is just a complete downer for everything. "Wet blanket mode activated" has become the go to saying for it. 

Users who are viewing this thread