What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5 years from now, will you still wear a mask when sick? (1 Viewer)

Do you think pubic mask wearing will become common?

• Yes

Votes: 50 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 60.6%

• Total voters

gianmarco

Footballguy
Let's assume Covid finally resolves and life returns back to "normal". When you aren't feeling well, will you wear a mask out in public for the sake of others? Do you think others will much like Asian countries already did prior to Covid?

I'm not sure.  But the silver lining in all this mess is that it's been pretty nice to have a family of 4 with a three and six year old where we've had not a single illness in the house since April.  This place is usually a revolving door of mucus, sneezing, throw-up, etc so at least avoiding all of that stuff has been pleasant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what you mean by “sick”. Why would I be out in public if I was sick? I think most likely, it will be common to social distance even when not sick. 
If you have a cough/runny nose. Common cold stuff.  Stuff people get frequently but still go out and do things or run errands, etc.  Throw a mask on while grocery shopping?

Obviously not talking about being laid up in bed with high fevers and the flu. 

Depends on what you mean by “sick”. Why would I be out in public if I was sick? I think most likely, it will be common to social distance even when not sick. 
"Social distance" when not sick? Lol. Not in this part of the country. Crazy talk 

I like to think I would wear a mask if I have the sniffles.  But in reality, I’m probably not going to if nobody else is wearing one.  Thus, I just won’t go to the store.  One thing I plan to do going forward is keeping my distance from people when I can.  

Had this conversation with my uncle yesterday. I think it does become common in the years to come regardless of how Covid goes. 

I have a friend that lives in Japan. He said the people there have been wearing masks for several years because of some other virus (do not remember what virus he said). 

I still am not convinced the mask make any difference so I will not wear one unless I am in a place they are required.

SARS is the virus that caused the Japanese to accept routine mask wear.

I will likely wear a mask even when not sick. I don’t much like people and having a mask on, I can walk past my neighbor and they wouldn’t know it was me. I like to get out of stores as quickly as I can. 

I've thought about continued mask use after covid. I doubt I would make it 5 years, absent mandatory use laws or masks staying common.

I thinks it's here to stay on a small scale. I think there are people who realize it only can help and it's not a pain in the butt like some claim it is. 

Like one person above said, if you have kids in the house and you normally see all the

Kinds of sniffles and bugs being passed, it's nice to reduce that.  

Let's face it, the people who go to work/public sick and get other people sick are the one's that won't wear masks.  It won't matter.

Hard to say, as we still have no idea how COVID will play out once we have a vaccine.  So much has already happened this year, and there is no way to predict how much more will change between now and 2025.

Enough people have gotten used to the idea that they will demand other people wear them or go home if they show any symptoms of being sick, and enough lawyers will be looking for a new angle, that we will probably see OSHA and HR departments start offering free masks at workplaces. 

I'd occasionally see people here on the subway wearing masks before COVID. I think it'll become much more commonplace going forward in cities, especially ones with significant Asian populations.

I'd occasionally see people here on the subway wearing masks before COVID. I think it'll become much more commonplace going forward in cities, especially ones with significant Asian populations.
I posted this in another thread at some point, but when I first started traveling to Japan 15 years ago, I would notice so many folks there wearing masks and just thought they were uptight neat freaks and germophobes afraid of getting sick. It wasn’t until years later that I learned the people wearing masks were sick or had colds and were doing it to protect others. It’s funny that big fat dumb American culture can’t even comprehend that, even in a pandemic.  And I don’t think even a year or two of this will make a dent in American ways. Unfortunately. 

Yeah, in Georgia you already can’t get people to wear them all the time.  I see the likelihood this would continue after COVID to be about 5% or less.
Well, "after covid" just might be more than 5 years out.  I mean I sure hope not, but not super confident this just "ends" any time soon whatsoever

Otis said:
I posted this in another thread at some point, but when I first started traveling to Japan 15 years ago, I would notice so many folks there wearing masks and just thought they were uptight neat freaks and germophobes afraid of getting sick. It wasn’t until years later that I learned the people wearing masks were sick or had colds and were doing it to protect others. It’s funny that big fat dumb American culture can’t even comprehend that, even in a pandemic.  And I don’t think even a year or two of this will make a dent in American ways. Unfortunately. 
I agree with the spirit of this post but there's a big difference between having the common courtesy to wear a mask to protect others when you know you are sick versus when you might be sick but are asymptomatic. I've seen a lot of ugly in our country the last year but I still have faith that people who know they are sick wouldn't fight against a mask.  But, perhaps I am delusional.

I agree with the spirit of this post but there's a big difference between having the common courtesy to wear a mask to protect others when you know you are sick versus when you might be sick but are asymptomatic. I've seen a lot of ugly in our country the last year but I still have faith that people who know they are sick wouldn't fight against a mask.  But, perhaps I am delusional.
Maybe. But in the midst of a pandemic where the science has been telling us people can transmit this without having symptoms, it’s just so perfectly “American” that so many people still are refusing to wear or support the wearing of masks. 

Not confident a vaccine ever exists, and even if it does most people wont take it.

I think there is an excellent chance that 5 years from now masks will still be required to go into places.
Interesting, wouldn’t we reach some level of heard immunity in five years?

Maybe. But in the midst of a pandemic where the science has been telling us people can transmit this without having symptoms, it’s just so perfectly “American” that so many people still are refusing to wear or support the wearing of masks. 
I have no idea why now, two times, you have tried to make this into an “ugly American” deal. Lots of people in Europe feel the same and in the UK especially, it is “worse” than in the US. 

mutation makes this a possibility, or even an  new virus entirely

mutation makes this a possibility, or even an  new virus entirely
As of right now, you can get Covid a 2nd time.  A 3rd, 4th.......who knows.

It will be a VERY long time before most people would accept a vaccine, if one ever even exists.

I am not predicting some sort of end of the world doom and gloom scenario, but we arent going back to the way things were for quite some time, if ever.

It will be a VERY long time before most people would accept a vaccine, if one ever even exists.

I am not predicting some sort of end of the world doom and gloom scenario, but we arent going back to the way things were for quite some time, if ever.
Asia has known this for awhile now. 

If I'm sick or believe that I'm sick and for some reason I cannot remain at home--I for sure will wear a mask and I'd certainly hope others would do the same.   Even with diseases that aren't lethal-- knowingly spreading germs when there is a simple way to mitigate it is just a  dooshy thing to do.  I think some Americans will do this--but being that a lot of people don't wash their hands after using a public restroom--I'm fully confident that many won't.   

I have no idea why now, two times, you have tried to make this into an “ugly American” deal. Lots of people in Europe feel the same and in the UK especially, it is “worse” than in the US. 
"Ugly American" is code for "uneducated and opinionated" .  Unfortunately, we have this in spades.

I was looking for good NY pizza around me and found this gem of a place.

I don't care about the politics but terrible business practice in the reviews by the owner but it is entertaining.

https://g.co/kgs/KK3rT5

So we may be entering a new phase of human history where there are so many people and we are so interconnected that mutated viruses are just gonna be floating out there and community mitigation efforts will become a normal part of our life? I could see that argument.

Probably would depend on recommendation of health experts and what I was sick with.
Most of the time you won’t know definitively, but the spread of any upper respiratory illness (colds, flu, etc.) will likely be reduced by wearing a mask.

A related question: will you stay home from work (assuming not working from home) when sick?

Had this conversation with my uncle yesterday. I think it does become common in the years to come regardless of how Covid goes. 

I have a friend that lives in Japan. He said the people there have been wearing masks for several years because of some other virus (do not remember what virus he said). 

I still am not convinced the mask make any difference so I will not wear one unless I am in a place they are required.
What would it take to convince you?

Only when sick?  Wearing a mask pretty much eliminates the need for me to acknowledge the existence of other people when I'm out and about.  I'm wearing these things full time from now on.
They’re really a blessing for introverts.

Although my wife isn’t really extroverted, she’s extremely friendly/helpful and invites conversation. Since masks became a thing, she’s shaved an hour or two off her work day.

Most of the time you won’t know definitively, but the spread of any upper respiratory illness (colds, flu, etc.) will likely be reduced by wearing a mask.

A related question: will you stay home from work (assuming not working from home) when sick?
Depends on what I’m sick with.  I already stayed at home any time I was sick and running a fever.  But I have a job that I could do remotely before COVID so I’m not the best example.

Users who are viewing this thread