Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TwinTurbo

Cast your vote for the worst head coach in the league

Cast your vote for the worst head coach in the league  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, TwinTurbo said:

Bump for week 2. Gase still leading in the polls. 

I'd vote Other (Patricia)again if I could.

9-24-1, four straight games losing a game after leading by ten (NFL first!), eleven straight losses

IDK what you have to do to win polls around here

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 2

It's still Patricia and Quinn as the worst Coach/GM combo.

Caldwell fired after back-to-back 9-7 season. Patricia has 9 wins total.

Quinn has decimated this team. 

The defensive "guru" Patricia has one of the worst defenses in the league. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Payne said:

Maybe it might help if he ever wrote something down with that pencil instead of just wearing it. 

• Laughing 1

11 minutes ago, RushHour said:

Maybe it might help if he ever wrote something down with that pencil instead of just wearing it. 

Apparently he uses the pencil to write on the laminated play sheets. But I've never actually seen him do it. It does seem like a prop like non-prescription glasses with no lenses. 

• Laughing 1

Was tempted to vote other on the premise that perhaps this was a trick question and there is some 2nd guy named Adam Gase.

-QG

1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

9-24-1, four straight games losing a game after leading by ten (NFL first!), eleven straight losses

IDK what you have to do to win polls around here

Detroit doesn't do well hiring guys named Matt.

-QG

I dunno,  Mike Zimmer in Minnesota is just plain awful. 

zach taylor is by FAR is the single worst HC in the history of bad coaches. the only thing he needs to complete the climb to the top of Incompetence Mountain is an 0-16 season.

he's horrible, 2-16 record as a HC. yikes. how many games do the bengals actually win this season, 1? so 1-15. grand total of 3-29 before they show him the door? 

Brian Flores is an incredibly lousy 5-13 as dolphins HC thus far.might win 2 games in 2020.

Gase. 'nuff said 

Edited by Tanner9919

19 hours ago, Payne said:

I have no ill will toward Lions fans, but during Super Bowl LII I kept wondering what they were thinking watching their new head coach get lit up by Nick Foles.  That couldn't have been encouraging.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Like quarterbacks, it can be difficult to separate the actor from the movie, but its something like this, top to bottom:

Belichick
Reid, Carroll, Harbaugh
Payton, Gruden, McVay, Pederson
Kingsbury, McDermott, Zimmer, Tomlin, McCarthy
Shanahan, Reich, Vrabel, Arians, Rivera
Flores, Lynn, Fangio, Nagy, LaFleur
Marrone, Quinn
Patricia
Gase
Bob

TBD: Rhule, Stefanski, Judge, Taylor

I know this isn't the "post here when coaches do something stupid" but Pete Carroll should be an instant contender for SNF. 

1:15 on the clock, up 5. It's 3rd and 1. Seahawks have had no problem all drive converting 2nd and short or 3rd and short. Carson & Hyde were both getting chunks, and the Pats D was clearly gassed. 

To dial up a deep bomb as some sort of kill-shot FU to BB was putting ego ahead of good sense. I can think of no possible benefit to what he did - get a 1st down, take a knee and go home. 

As much as I hate the Pats, I really wish they hadn't fallen short by 6" in the comeback, because Carroll 100% deserved to lose for that nonsense. He is the worst end-game coach in history (and that includes the dude in Denver who was apparently saving his 3 TOs for next week)

• Laughing 1

30 minutes ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

Reid, Carroll, Harbaugh

I take issue with this 2nd tier. 

Reid - ok, sure. He's an offensive genius & when he has the tools to play with he gets it done. Finally. He nearly choked in the SB when the Niners had a big lead & had them in 3rd & 17, but our DC is allergic to blitzing, so the Niners gave up the booty. 

Carroll, see my post above. See SB loss to the Pats with Marshawn Lynch not being used at the end. 

Harbaugh earned a demotion from this tier with his playcalling at the end of the SB against the Ravens, when after running the ball down their throats, including several loooooong Kaepernick gazalle-like runs at the end, Harbaugh dialed up 4 straight passes. To the same player. Seemingly hoping for a DPI call that probably should have been, but never was called. You simply cannot depend on getting a call as a way to win. They just needed to run and they likely win that game. That's what got them 70 yards down the field in a hurry - why why why stop doing what was working? 

Harbaugh made a lot of bone-headed decisions as the coach of the 49ers, but that was his absolute worst. No way he belongs in the 2nd tier. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I know this isn't the "post here when coaches do something stupid" but Pete Carroll should be an instant contender for SNF. 

1:15 on the clock, up 5. It's 3rd and 1. Seahawks have had no problem all drive converting 2nd and short or 3rd and short. Carson & Hyde were both getting chunks, and the Pats D was clearly gassed. 

To dial up a deep bomb as some sort of kill-shot FU to BB was putting ego ahead of good sense. I can think of no possible benefit to what he did - get a 1st down, take a knee and go home. 

As much as I hate the Pats, I really wish they hadn't fallen short by 6" in the comeback, because Carroll 100% deserved to lose for that nonsense. He is the worst end-game coach in history (and that includes the dude in Denver who was apparently saving his 3 TOs for next week)

This is where I insert platitudes about situational football.  What's the probability on the conversion for the 3rd and 1?  How had the Patriots secondary been holding up against Russell Wilson?  I can understand the criticism, but I admire Carroll's no fear approach in this case (despite the fact that not giving the ball to Lynch on the one yard line was moronic).

• Thinking 1

5 minutes ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

This is where I insert platitudes about situational football.  What's the probability on the conversion for the 3rd and 1?  How had the Patriots secondary been holding up against Russell Wilson?  I can understand the criticism, but I admire Carroll's no fear approach in this case (despite the fact that not giving the ball to Lynch on the one yard line was moronic).

As moronic as not going to Lynch was, this was equally moronic. It was no less ronic than the non-Lynch non-run in the SB. I don't care what math says. Math also says they'd been getting 3+ YPC every time they touched the ball and they had 2 downs to get that yard and end the game. You don't need more points if you can take a knee and go home. It was a terrible, terrible call. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

My thoughts exactly.  Carroll does this outsmart himself stuff all the time.  It is ridiculous and yeah I hated to see such stupidity rewarded with a win.

-QG

• Like 1

Solid decision making by Gase kicking that field goal down 21 late in the 3rd quartee instead of going for it 4th and goal at the 8.

-QG

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I take issue with this 2nd tier. 

Reid - ok, sure. He's an offensive genius & when he has the tools to play with he gets it done. Finally. He nearly choked in the SB when the Niners had a big lead & had them in 3rd & 17, but our DC is allergic to blitzing, so the Niners gave up the booty. 

Carroll, see my post above. See SB loss to the Pats with Marshawn Lynch not being used at the end. 

Harbaugh earned a demotion from this tier with his playcalling at the end of the SB against the Ravens, when after running the ball down their throats, including several loooooong Kaepernick gazalle-like runs at the end, Harbaugh dialed up 4 straight passes. To the same player. Seemingly hoping for a DPI call that probably should have been, but never was called. You simply cannot depend on getting a call as a way to win. They just needed to run and they likely win that game. That's what got them 70 yards down the field in a hurry - why why why stop doing what was working? 

Harbaugh made a lot of bone-headed decisions as the coach of the 49ers, but that was his absolute worst. No way he belongs in the 2nd tier. 

John Harbaugh, not Jim.

My vote is for Gase.

Patricia has a worse record than Rod Marinelli through 34 games. Gase is horrible, one of the worst of all time... he’s still better than Patricia. This was a playoff team he destroyed. Lions fans are begging to have friggin Jim Caldwell back.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, baymen said:

John Harbaugh, not Jim.

ah - see, that wasn’t specified. ;) 

14 minutes ago, baymen said:

My vote is for Gase.

It’s always Gase. The poll should have only had 1 entry. 

I’m a little sad that Dennis Erickson wasn’t mentioned anywhere yet.

God he was terrible. 

Mike McCarthy would be getting all the votes if he hadn't been bailed out by Atlanta's frozen special team players.

• Like 1

It is Gase for sure but Patricia is the Manning to Gase's Brady

• Like 4
  • Laughing 1

27 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I’m a little sad that Dennis Erickson wasn’t mentioned anywhere yet.

God he was terrible. 

Oh, wait - “in the league” as in “active head coaches”. I just got carried away thinking about terrible HCs. My bad. 

13 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Mike McCarthy would be getting all the votes if he hadn't been bailed out by Atlanta's frozen special team players.

Craziest slowest onside kick I’ve ever seen. I cannot believe it worked. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

FMIA Week 2: Let Russ Cook? Wilson Has Ingredients For First MVP Season

Excerpt:

The play of the day: the Watermelon Kick.

“That’s what we call it,” Prescott said with some glee 90 minutes after the game. “The ball just kind of sits there like a watermelon, not on a tee.”

When I talk to players after games, quite often the answers are pretty plain, and they speak in press-conference-speak. But Prescott was fired up in his car driving home with his girlfriend. “Amen, AMEN!” he said about the win. “We could have been 0-2!

Dallas was down 39-24 with six minutes left. The Cowboys scored but missed the two-point conversion. “So we knew we needed two scores in the last five minutes,” Prescott said. “Not easy.” The Cowboys burned their timeouts and forced Atlanta to punt with three minutes left. In 68 seconds, they drove to a TD, Prescott running in his third TD of the day, and the extra point made it 39-37, Atlanta.

Dallas needed to recover the onside kick, or the team would be 0-2. Here came kicker Greg Zuerleinout for the kick. With no tee. Prescott described the next few seconds in vivid detail.

“I have never been in a game like this,” he said. “Maybe the playoff game my rookie year against Green Bay, but we lost that one, and it didn’t come down to a play like this one. It was incredible, honestly. We’ve seen it done in practice. [Offensive coordinator] Kellen Moore saw it get set up, and [quarterbacks coach] Doug Nussmeier told me, ‘Watermelon kick!’ “

It’s actually an ingenious idea. Because players can’t line up more than one yard from the spot of the kickoff (they used to be able to get a five-yard running start), kicking team players can’t get the kind of running start they used to on onside kicks. So Zuerlein and special-teams coach John Fassel had practiced a form of the onside kick where Zuerlein would kick a spinning ball diagonally, and fairly slowly. Cowboy players could run to the skidding ball and attempt to block out, as on a basketball rebound, any opposing players who might be trying to get to the ball.

Obviously, the Falcons hadn’t seen it before. They peered at the spinning, slow-moving ball like it was diseased and they didn’t want to touch it.

“I asked our punter, Chris Jones, why [the Falcons] wouldn’t just dive on it,” Prescott told me, “and he said the way it spins makes it really hard to do that. They were probably afraid that if they jumped on it, it might get loose and we’d recover.”

Better that than what happened: Dallas cornerback C.J. Goodwin, once the ball traveled exactly 10 yards downfield, jumped it and won a wrestling match for it with three Falcons. Prescott’s 24-yard dart to rookie CeeDee Lamb (“CeeDee is smart as hell, great feel for the game,” Prescott said) helped set up Zeurlein’s winning field goal with four seconds left.

It all was made possible by the Watermelon Kick.

• Like 1

Dan Quinn gonna get a pass after Atlanta choked that game away?  Atlanta has far too much talent the last couple years to underachieve as they have

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Slow is exactly why it worked

the Falcons didn’t want to make contact before it went 10 yards but it went slow enough that the Cowboys were able to hover over the ball....it was a brilliant onsides kick

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 8:45 PM, Houston turmOiler said:

Bill O'Brien sucks at everything. Gase is probably worse, but BOB deserves some hate

BoB has coached the Texans to a 52-46 record.  You can say its because he had Watt but Watt has been hurt.  You can say its because of his quarterbacks but he had 3 straight winning seasons led by Schaub osweiler and hoyer, respectively, and its not like Lamar Miller was carrying the offense. If you think its all Watson dont forget the first year with Watson was bumpy and they loss watt and went 4-12. He's made a couple unpopular trades for cap reasons but they haven't worked out nearly as badly as you guys say.  They are 0-2 this year but they've played literally the top two teams in the nfl the chiefs and ravens.  Once they finish with the steelers this week we'll see if he can rally from down 0-3 which they will almost certainly be. If he pulls out this win he deserves coach of the year. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

BoB has coached the Texans to a 52-46 record. 

I've never understood the BoB hate. It's like the SABR guys when Terry Francona was coaching the Red Sox. His own front office referred to him as Francoma.

But Francoma's a pretty damn good manager. Way better than BoB, but I see that same sort of heel-digging about his personnel decisions as GM and some of his decisions as coach that other guys totally get away with. 

On 9/21/2020 at 4:55 PM, SeniorVBDStudent said:

Like quarterbacks, it can be difficult to separate the actor from the movie, but its something like this, top to bottom:

Belichick
Reid, Carroll, Harbaugh
Marrone, Quinn
Patricia
Gase
Bob

LaFleur is 15-3 as a HC.  1000 yds and 85 pts so far this year.  I’ve gotta think he’s a little better than Nagy, Fangio, Flores and Lynn.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:30 PM, Tanner9919 said:

I dunno,  Mike Zimmer in Minnesota is just plain awful. 

zach taylor is by FAR is the single worst HC in the history of bad coaches. the only thing he needs to complete the climb to the top of Incompetence Mountain is an 0-16 season.

he's horrible, 2-16 record as a HC. yikes. how many games do the bengals actually win this season, 1? so 1-15. grand total of 3-29 before they show him the door? 

Brian Flores is an incredibly lousy 5-13 as dolphins HC thus far.might win 2 games in 2020.

Gase. 'nuff said 

I don't get this at all.  Two guys who were saddled with teams that were made to lose.  I can maybe see Taylor depending on how this season goes being an absolutely terrible coach, but he has nothing to work with on these Bengal teams.

As for Flores... The entire year was a firesale of every single player of note for the dolphins and they /still managed to win 5 games/. That's amazing.  Give any other non-belichek coach that team and team and they're 3-13 at BEST.  Pulling out wins at all with a team of nobody's gets him another two years and a gold star in my book.

On 9/21/2020 at 6:07 PM, Faust said:

“I asked our punter, Chris Jones, why [the Falcons] wouldn’t just dive on it,” Prescott told me, “and he said the way it spins makes it really hard to do that. They were probably afraid that if they jumped on it, it might get loose and we’d recover.”

This is interesting, but as weird as the 'wait 10 yards' theory if true.

On 9/21/2020 at 6:58 PM, Ilov80s said:

It is Gase for sure but Patricia is the Manning to Gase's Brady

To me, Gase has no talent to work with. Patricia does.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Payne said:

Some of that blame goes on Gase though. He won the power struggled that outed the GM and then alienated their best defensive player, forcing a trade. The front office is trying to give him weapons bringing in Bell but Gase publicly says that he doesn't want Bell. One thing that I don't think gets mentioned enough is that the NYJ defense isn't actually that terrible, and they have a DC in Gregg Williams that does have a track record of some success. You hear players talk about how Gase has his assistants address the team. The question is, what does Gase do? Is he controlling the offense? Then why are Gase offenses some of the worst in football for 3+ years?

Similar situation in ATL and DET. Aren't Patricia and Quinn supposed to be defensive coaches? Why do they have teams with above average offenses and terrible defenses? There are two kinds of good coaches. Coaches that serve more as managers to other coaches like Harbaugh, Carrol or Tomlin. They make smart hiring decisions and adapt their philosophy to their teams strengths. Less successful examples of this are Marvin Lewis and Rivera.

The other type are HCs that are extremely effective coordinators, and deploy their systems well. Examples are Reid, Payton or Shanahan. Belichick happens to be both types. Coaches that try to be the second type but their system doesn't work, fail spectacularly., like Gase, Patricia, Gus Bradley, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Payne said:

Does he though? Stafford, Ragnow, an injured Golladay. What else? Quinn has really prioritized non athletes and low impact positions the last few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Does he though? Stafford, Ragnow, an injured Golladay. What else? Quinn has really prioritized non athletes and low impact positions the last few years.

Patricia may still have Darius Slay if Slay didn't hate playing for him so much. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 3:55 PM, SeniorVBDStudent said:

Belichick
Reid, Carroll, Harbaugh
Marrone, Quinn
Patricia
Gase
Bob

Kingsbury and Zimmer that high?  And not that LaFleur isn't still young and a bit unproven...but he has owned Zimmer (and that division).  Seems just odd to put one up and comer unknown that much higher than another who has had more success in the league.

17 hours ago, bostonfred said:

BoB has coached the Texans to a 52-46 record.  You can say its because he had Watt but Watt has been hurt.  You can say its because of his quarterbacks but he had 3 straight winning seasons led by Schaub osweiler and hoyer, respectively, and its not like Lamar Miller was carrying the offense. If you think its all Watson dont forget the first year with Watson was bumpy and they loss watt and went 4-12. He's made a couple unpopular trades for cap reasons but they haven't worked out nearly as badly as you guys say.  They are 0-2 this year but they've played literally the top two teams in the nfl the chiefs and ravens.  Once they finish with the steelers this week we'll see if he can rally from down 0-3 which they will almost certainly be. If he pulls out this win he deserves coach of the year. 

BOB’s a mediocre coach and shouldn’t be on the list, a lot of 9-7 seasons in a weak division and blowouts in the playoffs. His worst areas are in-game adjustments, clock mgmt, and player relations.

He’s a colossally bad GM though.

3 hours ago, Tom Hagen said:

Patricia may still have Darius Slay if Slay didn't hate playing for him so much. 

Maybe but it was probably the right move to let him go that price. The Lions are in rebuild mode

3 hours ago, Buckna said:

BOB’s a mediocre coach and shouldn’t be on the list, a lot of 9-7 seasons in a weak division and blowouts in the playoffs. His worst areas are in-game adjustments, clock mgmt, and player relations.

He’s a colossally bad GM though.

I'd argue he's the worst kind of coach too. A coach who you know cannot take you to the top and finds a way to continually keep your favorite team right in the middle of the pack.

Gase will be fired before BOB but it means the Texans and fans will suffer longer with just as crappy of a real outcome (no chance at a title).

Edited by Jayded

5 hours ago, Jayded said:

I'd argue he's the worst kind of coach too. A coach who you know cannot take you to the top and finds a way to continually keep your favorite team right in the middle of the pack.

Gase will be fired before BOB but it means the Texans and fans will suffer longer with just as crappy of a real outcome (no chance at a title).

A good classification, he’s definitely in the Marty Schottenheimer league of coaches. Good enough to get you to the postseason but perpetually wasting talent and blown out by the best of the league.

52 minutes ago, Buckna said:

A good classification, he’s definitely in the Marty Schottenheimer league of coaches. Good enough to get you to the postseason but perpetually wasting talent and blown out by the best of the league.

This argument is overused. Recently it was used against Reid. How many current coaches have multiple SB wins? Its pretty hard to win in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wise Old Owl said:

This argument is overused. Recently it was used against Reid. How many current coaches have multiple SB wins? Its pretty hard to win in the playoffs. 

By the same point in their careers BOB is 52-44 with 6 playoff games and 2 wins. Reid was 64-33 with 12 playoff games and 6 wins. Reid may have been wrongly criticized as a coach that can’t win a SB in the postseason, BOB is criticized as a coach that can’t get out of the wildcard round.

Arguing over whether Gase or Patricia is a worse head coach is like arguing whether lutefisk tastes worse than haggis.

16 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Maybe but it was probably the right move to let him go that price. The Lions are in rebuild mode

When are they not?

Ill see my self out...

• Laughing 1