What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General FAAB Advice / Philosophy (1 Viewer)

themeistersinger

Footballguy
I'm looking for general advice on how to approach FAAB in fantasy.  My league is in its twelfth year but this is our first with FAAB.

Questions I have would include
Should I be aggressive early or save money for late?

What percent would be an aggressive bid?
I assume how deep your league is matters - ours is shallow (12 teams, 14 players rostered per team), so good players are more likely to be available over the course of a year, unlike a team with 20 or more players rostered.

If I don't need somebody as an immediate starter, how aggressive should I be?  I would think the Marlon Mack owner would want to be aggressive this week if targeting Hines, but if I'm just swapping one healthy (but moderately disappointing) bench player (like James White or Zack Moss) for Hines, I might want to bid but not go crazy?

Please don't use this thread to suggest bids on a specific player (like e.g. Nyheim Hines this week)

Thanks for any assistance!

Be assertive early; not aggressive. Only bring out the aggression if a league winner becomes available. You don't want to be the team with the lowest couple of bankrolls by October, but you also don't want to be the team with the most loot left either. The getting's aren't as good as the season progresses, but a late season funding advantage should disaster strike is a great place to be. 

I'm looking for general advice on how to approach FAAB in fantasy.  My league is in its twelfth year but this is our first with FAAB.

Questions I have would include
Should I be aggressive early or save money for late?

What percent would be an aggressive bid?
I assume how deep your league is matters - ours is shallow (12 teams, 14 players rostered per team), so good players are more likely to be available over the course of a year, unlike a team with 20 or more players rostered.

If I don't need somebody as an immediate starter, how aggressive should I be?  I would think the Marlon Mack owner would want to be aggressive this week if targeting Hines, but if I'm just swapping one healthy (but moderately disappointing) bench player (like James White or Zack Moss) for Hines, I might want to bid but not go crazy?

Please don't use this thread to suggest bids on a specific player (like e.g. Nyheim Hines this week)

Thanks for any assistance!
Helps if you know your leaguemates pretty well - 12 yr league so you should...

The guys that like to roster churn and add/drop a lot likely won't stop, so they'll look to spend cheaply and often.  The owners that make minimal moves or act a week ahead of time will be the strategic spenders, likely throwing out larger bids. 

A (maybe) unique situation:  There's a guy in my league who is notoriously impatient, and he'll drop guys he shouldn't while chasing the waiver wire darlings. i.e. he'll drop Darren Waller after 2 down weeks in a row, or drop Amari Cooper if he sprains a shoulder and will miss 3-4 weeks.  Saving your FAAB and always being able to outspend your leaguemates if one of those kinds of things happen can be a difference maker so I like to save my money early and always make sure I have the most available. 

Edit:  This can absolutely backfire on you so there's risk involved.  One year he stayed very healthy and didn't drop anyone and I was left holding ~$50 out of my $100 budget waiting on the savior that never came.  Last year I decided to pounce and spend a huge amount on Ty Johnson, who did absolutely nothing the rest of the year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Helps if you know your leaguemates pretty well - 12 yr league so you should...

The guys that like to roster churn and add/drop a lot likely won't stop, so they'll look to spend cheaply and often.  The owners that make minimal moves or act a week ahead of time will be the strategic spenders, likely throwing out larger bids. 

A (maybe) unique situation:  There's a guy in my league who is notoriously impatient, and he'll drop guys he shouldn't while chasing the waiver wire darlings. i.e. he'll drop Darren Waller after 2 down weeks in a row, or drop Amari Cooper if he sprains a shoulder and will miss 3-4 weeks.  Saving your FAAB and always being able to outspend your leaguemates if one of those kinds of things happen can be a difference maker so I like to save my money early and always make sure I have the most available. 
"The guys that like to roster churn and add/drop a lot likely won't stop, so they'll look to spend cheaply and often." - that guy is me.  I am by far the most active on WW (that's the main reason we went to FAAB - people think it's going to screw me).  (Twirls mustache). 

I think it should help me - we had been running in reverse order of standings, and since I'm usually in first place or close to it by week 5, I'm used to being at the bottom of the order.  Plus I'm always (and I mean always) the last to draft a QB (this year it's Stafford and Roethlisberger), and usually stream K and DST (although not K this year until the Bye weeks because I drafted Tucker), so frequently need to make moves there.

Rule 1, don't be cheap.  Most of the big named waiver signings for the year come in the first few weeks.  Everyone is typically too frugal, go spend and get your guys early on in the year.

After the first week we have now visual evidence of what players may do or how teams may play. This is even more important this year. It’s time to pounce on players you’ve been following due to positive drum beats or changing conditions. If there are players you like go get them. Spend some money now on assets you will have the rest of the season instead of waiting on a player who may never come and you’ll only have for part of the-season.

1) How will you feel if you get out bid? .If the answer is not good then take what you were thinking of spending and jack it up significantly. No regrets.

2) It’s all about supply and demand and the state of your roster.If you absolutely need the player spend the money. If you have a strong feeling about a player spend the money. That being said, don't necessarily think everyone thinks like you. You may not have to bid high.If a player would just be a luxury throw out a moderate to low bid and hope to get lucky.

3) Don’t be shocked at super high bids. Every league is different so it’s very difficult to predict what a player will go for. Don’t worry about putting in the perfect bid just get your guy.

4) If you have a positional need and there are several choices cast out a wide net with a strong bid and at least get one of them.

5) Think twice or more about dropping players. Patience can be a good thing.

6) Be thorough. Scan through all players available you never know who is buried under the obvious choices.

7) If a league winner is available  expect him to go for 80-99% of FAAB. There isn’t one week one. It’s usually an RB. 

Also if you have a dead weight guy but were not successful in your drop & add don't sit pat over the weekend.  Add a handcuff to a bell cow RB.  You are one play away from having a decent starter.

After the first week we have now visual evidence of what players may do or how teams may play. This is even more important this year. It’s time to pounce on players you’ve been following due to positive drum beats or changing conditions. If there are players you like go get them. Spend some money now on assets you will have the rest of the season instead of waiting on a player who may never come and you’ll only have for part of the-season.

1) How will you feel if you get out bid? .If the answer is not good then take what you were thinking of spending and jack it up significantly. No regrets.

2) It’s all about supply and demand and the state of your roster.If you absolutely need the player spend the money. If you have a strong feeling about a player spend the money. That being said, don't necessarily think everyone thinks like you. You may not have to bid high.If a player would just be a luxury throw out a moderate to low bid and hope to get lucky.

3) Don’t be shocked at super high bids. Every league is different so it’s very difficult to predict what a player will go for. Don’t worry about putting in the perfect bid just get your guy.

4) If you have a positional need and there are several choices cast out a wide net with a strong bid and at least get one of them.

5) Think twice or more about dropping players. Patience can be a good thing.

6) Be thorough. Scan through all players available you never know who is buried under the obvious choices.

7) If a league winner is available  expect him to go for 80-99% of FAAB. There isn’t one week one. It’s usually an RB. 
This.  I spent $85 on Hines this week given his situation, and it is a PPR league.  It's a deep league, and he was the only RB available.  We have two flex starters, and I lost Michael Thomas for a few weeks so this was absolutely worth it to me as I need a guy that is going to start immediately.  Next highest bid was $51, but there is no way of knowing what it would be so I had to take a risk.  I have seen guys go in the first week before for $100. 

I also wanted to add depth to WR for my 5th and 6th WRs.  Russel Gage (Bye Week filler with upside if one of the others guys gets hurt, and Scotty Miller (Brady kind of guy, with upside as both other WRs are banged up) but no one bid on those and went after the week 1 darlings (Although I would consider Gage a week 1 darling with upside).  I woke up early, and was able to snag them for free before any one else got to look at the leftovers (Actually guys I was targeting though), and this is a strategy that has proven effective for me over the years.  So still able to get guys without spending money that add great depth.  

I tend to spend money early, or pick up guys early and often at the beginning of the season such as "Jordan Howard" when he broke out, had him in all 3 leagues.  People get so hung up on FAAB money, but I am a go getter and not afraid to spend money.  

Rule 1, don't be cheap.  Most of the big named waiver signings for the year come in the first few weeks.  Everyone is typically too frugal, go spend and get your guys early on in the year.
Agree with this. 

Will add though if there’s no one worth spending on, don’t be aggressive week 1. Week 2 will bring a whole new host of opportunity. Let others bid 10-15% of their FAAB for Gaskin. Makes it easier for you to out-bud them when a really good player is available. 

You said you don’t *need* anyone. It’s ok to be aggressive if the right player is there & worth bidding on whether you need him or not. Keep-away is a valid strategy, and you can never have enough depth. So let’s say Carson & Hyde both got hurt & the Seahawks signed Davonte Freeman. You should bid aggressively on him whether you need a RB or not. Better to have him on your bench than in your opponent’s lineup the next week. 

(side note: I’ll never forget a dude I used to be in a league with getting super pissed at me for outbidding him & thus, “stockpiling” RBs saying “I needed him! You don’t even need him!”. I just replied, “if you really needed him you shoulda bid more. And of course I needed him. You can never have enough RBs”.)

So yeah - be aggressive, but also be measured in who you’re targeting. The “why” of whether you need a player or not isn’t really important. Good luck. You’re already lucky that you’re in a league that used FAAB. I am in 1, but my long-time IDP refuses to consider it. Waivers are a terrible system. FAAB is way better. 

Also if you have a dead weight guy but were not successful in your drop & add don't sit pat over the weekend.  Add a handcuff to a bell cow RB.  You are one play away from having a decent starter.
Similar vein (more roster management than FAAB), carry 1 QB/TE/K/DST until bye weeks to maximize RB lotto spots. Generally, after 4WR on your roster, you’re holding borderline guys at WR5/WR6 who will be inconsistent & impossible to predict. Maximize backup / timeshare RBs so you’re already holding a potential league winner when injuries hit.

Back on point, our first year using FAAB I would always do low bids ($1-5) until it was a truly great opportunity. But as others mentioned, there are always 1-2 constant roster churners in every league. Analyze their non-performers & if it’s likely they need a TE/RB flyer, bid $8 or $12 to throw them off stride. Look at bye weeks and see if you can predict who might be bidding against you.

Late seasons difference makers are far more rare than weeks 1-4. Go big when scheme or injury has significantly changed someone’s role. Let’s use Hines as an example for this past week. Snell was also out there, but we’re full PPR. Ingram is my RB2, Rivers is a checkdown king. I overbid $28 because that’s not a situation that will repeat itself. Most pass catching backs are rostered and his floor makes it worth it.

Always end the year with $0. Don’t be Vic Fangio, it’s not carrying over.

I didn't go too aggressive this week and didn't get any of the guys I bid on.  The highest bids were 13.5% on Hines and 10.1% on Sammy Watkins.  I knew I would be on the lower end but didn't think all my league mates would be bidding - normally they ignore the WW.  So I kind of mis-guessed on thinking out their stategy.

Also, looking back, I can only think of one guy in eleven years that was a super upside guy that I picked up in Week 1.  That was Peyton Hillis the one year he went nuts.  I had the Green Bay RB that I drafted in Round 2 that tore his ACL on the first play of the first game.  His backup was the super hot pickup, but I had second priority and didn't get him, so I was "stuck" with Peyton Hillis.  I've picked up lots of guys in Week 1 that I end up cutting by the middle of the year.  

So at least for now I am keeping my powder dry, even though I had both Conner and Lindsay get hurt this week.  We have a short bench, only roster 168 players total and that counts K and DST.  Most teams carry two QB's, and during Bye weeks if they have a strong DST or Kicker they will carry a second one there too.  So good players do float around.

That's usually worked in my favor, but not always.  I've picked up Jamaal Charles, Nick Chubb and David Johnson later in the year.  I also cut Odell Beckham due to Bye Week pressure right before THE CATCH.  I lost in the title game to the guy that picked him up.  C'est la vie.

It's worth going big, including >50% and up to 100%.

One way to look at it: the best player to come off waivers is typically worth more than 1/12 of the total value that comes off waivers in a season, so he winds up being worth more than a team's entire waiver budget (in a 12 team league). If you know that you have a good shot at someone like that then it can make sense to go all-in. Or go 60% or whatever if they're not quite that great an option, or you think other teams won't outbid you.

Usually, the best waiver options go early in the season. So I wouldn't worry about blowing through my waiver bucks. (As long as there are also free waiver pickups where I can cycle through defenses and so on.)

You should think about the gap in value between the guy you're getting and the guy you're dropping, and don't go big unless there's a big gap. e.g. James White vs. Nyheim Hines seems like a close call, so if I had to drop White in order to pick up Hines then I'd keep my bid low. That probably means that I miss out on Hines, but that's fine since I still get to roster White.

if you spend early FAAB your money will do more for you so dont be afraid to spend.

allow FAAB budget trading. gives more options when trying to get deals done.

allow $0 waiver claims

edit: i see you claims went, very surprised hines only went for 13%. 

much of my strategy has been mentioned above, but 1 thing that's served me well over the years is "unique" dollar amount bids. 

ex: if I think a player is worth $15, i'll bid $17. player worth $20, bid $23. 

Most people tend to like round numbers and throwing in the extra $1-$2 could be the difference of missing out and getting the player you're targeting. 

You should think about the gap in value between the guy you're getting and the guy you're dropping, and don't go big unless there's a big gap. e.g. James White vs. Nyheim Hines seems like a close call, so if I had to drop White in order to pick up Hines then I'd keep my bid low. That probably means that I miss out on Hines, but that's fine since I still get to roster White.
The 3 guys I might have dropped for Hines would have been either Phillip Lindsay, James White or Zack Moss.  So while I like Hines slightly better than them, I didn't see a big gap.  If I had won, the guy I would have dropped would have been Lindsay, but I expect him to be Out this week which means I can slide him onto the IR spot and then get a freebie pickup Sunday.  When streaming DST a freebie pickup is a useful thing to have.

Usually, the best waiver options go early in the season. So I wouldn't worry about blowing through my waiver bucks. (As long as there are also free waiver pickups where I can cycle through defenses and so on.)
I just spent $79 of my $100 FAAB on Gaskin, L. Thomas and Gage (Hines, J. Robinson and the other much-discussed WW darlings were rostered), so I'm 100% on board with that strategy this year. 😆

It's 12-team redraft with 19-man rosters and I lost Mack and Jarwin, so it made sense for me to strike now. And I can use $0 bids if I run out of money and need to change K/D. 

Some good advice in this thread. One contrarian thought: try and save at least a third of your FAAB for the last quarter of the season if you are contending. By weeks 13-14 many starting RBs are beat up or hurt. You will have the resources to scoop up the replacement RBs and at minimum block your competition from picking them up. One year I won the ship starting Bilal Powel and Tim Hightower. 👀

This.  I spent $85 on Hines this week given his situation, and it is a PPR league.  It's a deep league, and he was the only RB available.  We have two flex starters, and I lost Michael Thomas for a few weeks so this was absolutely worth it to me as I need a guy that is going to start immediately.  Next highest bid was $51, but there is no way of knowing what it would be so I had to take a risk.  I have seen guys go in the first week before for $100. 

I also wanted to add depth to WR for my 5th and 6th WRs.  Russel Gage (Bye Week filler with upside if one of the others guys gets hurt, and Scotty Miller (Brady kind of guy, with upside as both other WRs are banged up) but no one bid on those and went after the week 1 darlings (Although I would consider Gage a week 1 darling with upside).  I woke up early, and was able to snag them for free before any one else got to look at the leftovers (Actually guys I was targeting though), and this is a strategy that has proven effective for me over the years.  So still able to get guys without spending money that add great depth.  

I tend to spend money early, or pick up guys early and often at the beginning of the season such as "Jordan Howard" when he broke out, had him in all 3 leagues.  People get so hung up on FAAB money, but I am a go getter and not afraid to spend money.  
Yea just looked at FAAB bidding on Hines in my league.  .5 PPR, 2 Flex Positions, Deep Rosters, No rbs available.  (Also Michael Thomas Injury for me)

I bid $85 (Won)

2.$67
3.$60
4.$43
5.$43
6.$41
7.$36
8.$24
9.$11
10.$9
11.$7
12.$6

Literally every single team bid on him.  Can't be afraid to spend that money when you want a player.  Glad I got him.  

"The guys that like to roster churn and add/drop a lot likely won't stop, so they'll look to spend cheaply and often." - that guy is me.  I am by far the most active on WW (that's the main reason we went to FAAB - people think it's going to screw me).  (Twirls mustache). 

I think it should help me - we had been running in reverse order of standings, and since I'm usually in first place or close to it by week 5, I'm used to being at the bottom of the order.  Plus I'm always (and I mean always) the last to draft a QB (this year it's Stafford and Roethlisberger), and usually stream K and DST (although not K this year until the Bye weeks because I drafted Tucker), so frequently need to make moves there.
Your situation is similar to how I approach kickers and defenses - you just want to look further out in weeks.  Kickers are typically moot to me.  The defenses are where you will want to look forward a few weeks in advance to ensure you aren't having as many transactions.  However, if you know your leaguemates aren't going to drop their defense - you can pick up guys or defenses after they've cleared waivers.  

Typically, I take the approach of spending half my FAAB by the end of the season and then save the other half to try to poach bigger players.  That all goes out the window if a big name comes available.

Be aware that there are different implementations of this. In my main league, there are no FA transactions and every waiver claim costs at least $1. So if I were to spend all my money right away, I couldn't make any transactions (besides trades) for the rest of the year. Therefore, our "big bids" are smaller than other leagues.

So to sum up everything in this topic: 

• be aggressive

• no, that’s way too aggressive 

• ok, you pulled back too far. A little more aggressiveness.

• Ah, just right. 

• be prepared to spend a ton on a guy.

• No, not that guy.

• Not that guy either. 

• that guy? seriously? C’mon. 

• Save some money for the end

• don’t be afraid to go all-in

• never go all-in

• don’t bother saving for the end, it’s the beginning that matters

• round down

• round up 

• round to the nearest $3 ($13, $23, $33, etc)

• spend only for players you need

• spend to block other teams from getting players, even if you don’t need them

• wait for a big-time addition

• don’t bother with the big-time additions, but when one comes along you have a better shot at the peripheral players while everyone focuses on the big-time guy. 

• Don’t be cheap! 

• Don’t overspend! 

Hopefully this helps! 
:hifive:

• be aggressive

• ok, you pulled back to far. A little more aggressiveness.

• Ah, just right. 

• No, not that guy.

• Not that guy either. 

• never go all-in

• round down

• round up 

• spent to block other teams from getting players, even if you don’t need them

• don’t bother with the big-time additions, but when one comes along you have a better shot at the peripheral players while everyone focuses on the big-time guy. 

• Don’t be cheap! 

• Don’t overspend! 

Hopefully this helps! 
Yep pretty straight forward.  Lol 🤣

• be aggressive

• ok, you pulled back too far. A little more aggressiveness.

• Ah, just right. 

• No, not that guy.

• Not that guy either. 

• never go all-in

• round down

• round up 

• spend to block other teams from getting players, even if you don’t need them

• Don’t be cheap! 

• Don’t overspend! 

Hopefully this helps! 
YES!!!  THIS IS EXACTLY THE CLARITY I WAS HOPING FOR!!!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread