What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 1985 New Edition Lineup Thread - Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky, and Mike (Plus Ralph) (1 Viewer)

No Ralph Tresvant? Johnny Gill (other than Bobby) had the best solo career for sure as far as baby making music,but Bobby was king until around mid 90s

No Ralph Tresvant? Johnny Gill (other than Bobby) had the best solo career for sure as far as baby making music,but Bobby was king until around mid 90s
Great observations. I just went with the guys listed in the Cool It Now song. That leaves your humble narrator to be named. Whoever sang that song, be it Ralph or Johnny, that's who we'll go with. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Great observations. I just went with the guys listed in the Cool It Now song. That leaves your humble narrator to be named. Whoever sang that song, be it Ralph or Johnny, that's who we'll go with. 
All good. Sensitivity by Ralph was probably their best solo song. He may have not even been present on the Cool It Now song but I've knocked the boots to some Ralph and Johnny Gill many times. 

I just looked it up. It was Ralph! Change not forthcoming to the title, though. I think I'll leave it there for effect. 

@rockaction Mr Telephone Man was a good one too. They all sound like young Michael Jackson but that was a classic pop song from my childhood 
Mr. Telephone Man was awesome. Those are the two I remember. I was around eleven when they were big, so it's also part of mine and the pop radio of the day. They were huge, and actually had really well-crafted, well-sung songs, unlike the boy bands that were to come. 

Mr. Telephone man
There's something wrong with my line
When I dial my baby's number
I get a click every time

Harsh there, girl.

Same brother. Great band. Especially if you were an 80s child from New England. I think there was some VH1 documentary on their ascension and fall recently that I found to be great. There was also a reunion I think in like 2000. The only song I remember from that was "Can You Stand The Rain?"... It was actually really good tbh. 

Always loved the first album before the boys split from Maurice Starr.  It's closer to Bubble Gum with 808s than the New Jack Swing.

Always loved the first album before the boys split from Maurice Starr.  It's closer to Bubble Gum with 808s than the New Jack Swing.
I knew Starr was exploitative, but I didn't know it was this bad. From New Edition's Wikipedia page:

The group scored its big break in 1982, performing at the local Hollywood Talent Night held at Boston's Strand Theatre by singer/producer Maurice Starr. The first prize was $500 and a recording contract. Although the group came in second place, an impressed Starr decided to bring the group to his studio the following day to record what would become their debut album, Candy Girl. Released in 1983 on New York producer Arthur Baker's Levi Belt Streetwise Records, the album featured the hits: "Is This The End", "Popcorn Love", and the title track, which went to number one on both the American R&B singles chart and the UK singles chart.

Returning from their first major concert tour, the boys were dropped off back at their homes in the projects and were given a check in the amount of $1.87 apiece for their efforts. Tour budget and expenses were given as the explanation as to why they were not paid more. Due to these financial reasons, New Edition parted company with Starr in 1984. (Starr responded by promptly creating the group New Kids on the Block, essentially formatted after New Edition, but with white teenagers.)

I knew Starr was exploitative, but I didn't know it was this bad. From New Edition's Wikipedia page:
I was thinking about this last night. Nothing is really as exploitative as taking the first inklings of sexuality and turning it into a buck like Starr did to barely pubescent ten-twelve year-old girls, spending their parents' and allowance money, no less. Should we be surprised he bilked the boys out of tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Ya the doc I saw about New Edition and Starr was really jarring. Since I'm a Boston guy and an R and B guy, I don't remember why they broke up, but the documentary covered it well. It's a shame as they were such a good unit together each with amazing individual voices 

Users who are viewing this thread