What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It’s too early to give up on _________! (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Every year it happens. A week one dud by a solidly ranked player. 

You see that sexy waiver add and you have to drop someone. Surely you were crazy to draft ____________ in the 6th round! Imma dump him!

Take a deep breath. Be calm. You weren’t crazy & I’ll stop calling you Shirley. 

Just remember that 1 bad week doesn’t mean anything, barring severe injury.

good managers in your league are sitting there staring at their monitors, twirling their cartoon villain handlebar mustaches - watching, waiting for you to drop ___________ so they can scoop them up & improve their already good team.

Resist the urge. QB2 put up a mediocre game? Hold.

RB3 struggled out of the gate? Hold.

Rookie had way fewer touches than you expected? Hold.

this topic isn’t actually about ___________, or any specific player. Just a few words about patience in an impatient game. I’ve done it way way way too many times myself. At this point I have a memory filled with dudes I dropped and later regretted it. 

Don’t be that guy. If you really must part with a player because it makes you sick to see them on your roster, at least put them on the trade block 1st. 

Ok, good talk. I’ll be sitting here the rest of the day, twirling my cartoonish handlebar mustache, watching. Waiting. 
:pickle:  

I’ll throw 2 names out for redraft: 

Daniel Jones & Joe Burrow

Both QBs had ups and downs week 1. Both put up somewhat mediocre numbers. 

Give them time. Both have excellent weapons, are young, and should get better as the season goes on: IMO having no preseason hurt players like these the most. 

And it’s very likely anyone who drafted them took them as a QB2, so there’s no urgency to upgrade unless someone clearly better is available off of the wire. 

I suspect fantasy managers would regret dropping both of these players after week 1. 

I'm about to dump Herndon in 2 leagues because Goedert is available.  I'm not dumping Herndon due to his performance on Sunday, but Goedert just seems to be the better choice.

I'm about to dump Herndon in 2 leagues because Goedert is available.  I'm not dumping Herndon due to his performance on Sunday, but Goedert just seems to be the better choice.
May be the case. I’d probably make that move too. But Herndon probably wasn’t a player taken inside the first ~10 rounds, so not really applicable. 

I understand now...you're talking about not giving up on "solidly ranked players" too early (drafted in earlier rounds).

I could be guilty of this...currently debating dropping Phillip Lindsay for one of the hot WW RB adds.

Last edited by a moderator:
i could be guilty of this...currently debating dropping Phillip Lindsay for one of the hot WW RB adds.
Come back in from that ledge!  He has a hurt toe. He’s a hold. This is exactly what I was referring to! 

:twirlsmustache: 

Pretty much my entire team (due to a combination of injuries and bad game scripts) but just to focus on two..Brandon Cooks and Devin Singletary

I still think Cooks finishes top 20 if he can get/stay healthy. 

At some point, Buffalo has to realize that allowing Allen to freelance so much is going to cost them some games. You've got a guy capable of getting 5+ yards a pop. Give it to him

Always was.  Goedert was ranked higher pre-draft anyways. Hopefully you have waiver priority and can fix the mistake.

So last year Boyd and Slayton were 2 pts different in my league with very similar ups and downs.  But you are saying Boyd is WR2 and Slayton is WR3/Flex?  I don't see Boyd and Slayton as too much different at this point. 
I do. Boyd has better pedigree and less completion for targets. He happens to have 2 straight 1,000 yard seasons to boot. He just has a rookie QB in a weird game 1. 

I don’t think Ingram is worth holding if you have a chance for a RB that has more potential.  I like the chances of Snell taking over eventually in Pittsburgh.  With Taylor’s new role now that Mack is out, I can gamble with my RB4 spot.   

I don’t think Ingram is worth holding if you have a chance for a RB that has more potential.  I like the chances of Snell taking over eventually in Pittsburgh.  With Taylor’s new role now that Mack is out, I can gamble with my RB4 spot.   
If anyone drops Ingram it practically guarantees that Dobbins injured [insert body part here] the next week. 

the fantasy gods smite. 

...Brandon Cooks...

I still think Cooks finishes top 20 if he can get/stay healthy. 

This was going to be my player to mention from my roster.  Just one week so lets see him get healthy etc. Plus we know Fuller's history.
I am debating dropping him for Parris Campbell. This may be giving up too early, but I can't shake the feeling that Cooks is going to be half-cooked all season, while Parris is this year's Chark.

Overall, I think the answer is not simply to hold everyone.

You do need to not overreact given Week 1. But seasons are won and lost in the first week or two if you grab a guy that breaks out. In this day and age of fantasy, where there are no secrets and everyone has the same info, sometimes you need to take a bold risk.

So it's not just holding everyone - who you are dropping them for matters.

Would I drop a guy like Ingram for Snell? No, Connor will be back. Kelley? Probably not, though he will have a role. For Brown? It's a much harder decision (and still probably not, though @rockaction, with Ingram as your RB1 in a zero RB, that comes into play in terms of who else you can drop if not Ingram).

Would I drop Cooks for Campbell? Hmmm. You tell me.

it’s a tough one - I’m targeting Campbell if I don’t get Mike Williams off the wire. And I might bump Campbell ahead of MWill (though he did look good) - but I have a 3rd DB to drop. Tighter rosters it’ll be more challenging.

personally i would hold Cooks. I believe the Texans have the hardest 2-game stretch to open the season. I also believe Watson is a lot better than he looked preseason game 3-er, week 1. 

I get what you’re saying about striking while the iron is hot - but Cooks is a pretty solid WR. Someone might buy low if you dangle him for trade. 

Would I drop a guy like Ingram for Snell? No, Connor will be back. Kelley? Probably not, though he will have a role. For Brown? It's a much harder decision (and still probably not, though @rockaction, with Ingram as your RB1 in a zero RB, that comes into play in terms of who else you can drop if not Ingram).

I'm holding pretty much across the board. I have Mostert as another RB I thought would win the job, so he's really my RB1 right now. To compound things, I drafted Gibson and Kelley, and I'm holding them, too. It's really how much water I can tread this year before those guys hopefully take command of their roles in the offense.

I’ll throw 2 names out for redraft: 

Daniel Jones & Joe Burrow

Both QBs had ups and downs week 1. Both put up somewhat mediocre numbers. 

Give them time. Both have excellent weapons, are young, and should get better as the season goes on: IMO having no preseason hurt players like these the most. 

And it’s very likely anyone who drafted them took them as a QB2, so there’s no urgency to upgrade unless someone clearly better is available off of the wire. 

I suspect fantasy managers would regret dropping both of these players after week 1. 
Except both have terrible OLines

Would I drop a guy like Ingram for Snell? No, Connor will be back. Kelley? Probably not, though he will have a role. For Brown? It's a much harder decision (and still probably not, though @rockaction, with Ingram as your RB1 in a zero RB, that comes into play in terms of who else you can drop if not Ingram)
Snell looked better than Connor and Connor is already hurt.   Connor may be back but how long until he is hurt again or Snell’s play forces Tomlin to play the better player?   Ingram was outplayed by Dobbins and Dobbins was going to take over that backfield this season.   It seems to have happened already.  

Users who are viewing this thread