What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Myles Gaskin, MIN (2 Viewers)

I spent 31 dollars ( out of 100 ) on him in my dynasty league waivers. The WW is likely to be bone dry for a lot of the season, in my eyes, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity of an RB who could easily end up being the weekly starter for a team. Let’s be honest,  even most decent handcuffs are already owned in these types of leagues 
Yep. Every time I find out that I spent way more on a bid than I needed to (not saying that happened here), I always feel lightyears better than when I find out I missed out by a small amount. 

Last year, I needed a defense in week 14. FF playoffs. I was outbid by 2/200 and the guy that got the defense I wanted didn't even use them. Anyway, had I bid 3 more I would have ended up winning the ship instead of getting bounced in week 14. 

I don't like overspending but I ####### loathe underspending.  

I'm hoping to get some shares of Gaskin tonight. 

i went ahead and picked him up for free. As a Oregon fan I have seen him play a lot. I was surpriaed he did not get more playing time last year.

i went ahead and picked him up for free. As a Oregon fan I have seen him play a lot. I was surpriaed he did not get more playing time last year.
He didn't look good last year and Laird did well catching passes out of the backfield. In game 1, he showed good vision and had one excellent run. I still think Breida's breakaway speed is needed. 

He didn't look good last year and Laird did well catching passes out of the backfield. In game 1, he showed good vision and had one excellent run. I still think Breida's breakaway speed is needed. 
Not much of a sample size from last year. He had one start in week 16 last year when everyone else was traded (Drake) or hurt - didn't do much 16-55-1, 1-3 but got hurt himself and didn't play in week 17.

Also a limited sample size from this past week, so the jury is still out on whether there's something there with him. Breida definitely brings a different speed element, but we'll see if that translates to many more snaps.

:blackdot: I'm in on the Sandman (12-team, deep rosters).   I'm not convinced that they keep him behind Breida, considering they traded for him, but crazier things have happened

:blackdot: I'm in on the Sandman (12-team, deep rosters).   I'm not convinced that they keep him behind Breida, considering they traded for him, but crazier things have happened
The good news is Flores is the type of coach who won't play someone due to draft status or name...if Gaskin earns it he will get the time...one thing I really liked about Sunday is they went to him pretty quickly...gotta believe that was due to looking very good in camp and wanting to see if it would carry over which it did...now let's see what week 2 brings.

The good news is Flores is the type of coach who won't play someone due to draft status or name...if Gaskin earns it he will get the time...one thing I really liked about Sunday is they went to him pretty quickly...gotta believe that was due to looking very good in camp and wanting to see if it would carry over which it did...now let's see what week 2 brings.
Fair points. Even if there was some politics involved, we're not talking about huge capital tied up in Howard and Breida. They gave Howard a decent contract, but not exactly huge cap-bending money. And Breida cost them a 5th rounder, not exactly huge draft capital and just two rounds earlier than the draft pick used on Gaskin himself.

Myles Gaskin rushed seven times for 36 yards, hauling in 6-of-7 targets for 36 yards in Miami's Week 2 loss to the Bills.

Dolphins OC Chan Gailey mentioned that Gaskin only led the team's backfield in Week 1 because he's Miami's de facto runner from the spread offense, but Gaskin (13 touches) again out-touched Matt Breida (8) and Jordan Howard (5) for the second consecutive game. Gaskin also showed he has a floor in PPR leagues, finishing third in catches (6) among the Dolphins' receivers. With a tantalizing matchup against the Jaguars in Week 3, Gaskin should arguably become a top priority for those who lost running backs due to injury this week. 

Sep 20, 2020, 7:42 PM ET

Yeah, glad I snagged this kid.  May throw him out as my flex next week over Singletary.

Upside is gonna be limited due to the likely game scripts, but if he's catching a bunch of passes....who knows.

Yeah, glad I snagged this kid.  May throw him out as my flex next week over Singletary.

Upside is gonna be limited due to the likely game scripts, but if he's catching a bunch of passes....who knows.
For those that watched, how did he look? 

The Chan Gailey spread it out, pass-happy offense is tailored to Gaskin's pass catching and capability in space. Howard should have a frustrating role on the goal-line, but it wouldn't surprise me if Gaskins carves into it a little bit. He gets the tough yards decent enough and has good vision. I expect Breida to be phased out which should help. He still plays like a rookie to me, and he's not much of a pass catcher either. In other words, he's a bum.

Where do you rank him against a guy like Josh Kelley?
Watching both......Kelly looks a lot better as a pro RB. 

Gaskin is decent.....but I do not see a long term future. The Dolphins need to address the RB position in the next draft no doubt. 

There is nothing that jumps off the page for me about Gaskin as Special. His situation looks to be good though for this season. At least through the first two weeks. But I am also leary that th Dolphins are easing Howard in due to no pre-season. It really is weird they go out and grab both Howard and Brieda.....yet they are barely using them. They knew what Chan does on offense in terms of scheme. It is an odd roster situation. 

I still cannot stand this front office. They keep making mistake, after mistake year after year on big personnel decisions yet they still are employed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that watched, how did he look? 
I wouldn't say special, then again nobody is in Miami's backfield. He reminds me of Giovanni Bernard, smart enough to take what's there and do the things coaches want to see. All around solid running back. He can make a defender miss sometimes but nobody will confuse him with Reggie Bush. At least there's dance around though, I'd call him decisive. I think you could say he has good vision, by that I mean I haven't noticed him being blatantly stupid like missing a huge hole or running into his lineman.

I think he's the type of running back a smart front office would seek in free agency if they couldn't address the issue in the draft. Affordable, do your job, nothing flashy.

Watching both......Kelly looks a lot better as a pro RB. 

Gaskin is decent.....but I do not see a long term future. The Dolphins need to address the RB position in the next draft no doubt. 

There is nothing that jumps off the page for me about Gaskin as Special. His situation looks to be good though for this season. At least through the first two weeks. But I am also leary that th Dolphins are easing Howard in due to no pre-season. It really is weird they go out and grab both Howard and Brieda.....yet they are barely using them. They knew what Chan does on offense in terms of scheme. It is an odd roster situation. 

I still cannot stand this front office. They keep making mistake, after mistake year after year on big personnel decisions yet they still are employed. 
Yes, Gaskin is a filler for one year. He has vision and decent hands, but is not big enough or fast enough to be a concern for defenses. The oline should be improving, so he might do better than I expect. IMO, Miami was hoping to get Dobbins with their 2nd pick in round 2, but the Ravens unexpectly drafted him.

Instead, we got Raekwon Davis, who had the lowest PFF grade of any Dolphin defender in last week's game versus NE, and was manhandled. 

Gaskin is about to enter my lineup in a flex spot ....14 team dynasty .. just lost CMC Barkley and Sutton (had just got Barkley too) 

Living in Miami area I wish Dolphins would quit using the 3 headed monster and let one of them see what they can do

TLEF316 said:

That is ironic, not only because I am considering the same thing, but because these guys are the same dude.  They are both in the same situation, and the same kind of RB.  The only difference is that Singletary only has Moss to worry about.  The Sandman has both Breida and Howard to vulturing touches.  I know Breida has only 1 catch through 2 games, but the coaching staff could start to have his roll eat into Gaskin's.  I feel like they have the same amount of upside while both of their goal line work is limited.

Will be interesting to see how he performs on TNF...first national exposure, JAX not exactly a world beater.  There's an opportunity here for exponential value growth if the chips fall right.

Have a hunch the national breakout begins in about an hour. Debating plying Gaskin over Slayton in my flex ... still might, but I may also chicken out. 

Playing him over Dobbins and Gibson. Debating vs Dion Lewis in some leagues where I have Slayton going. Guess it shouldn't matter but I'm not crazy about starting two Giants. I like Slayton>Gaskin>Dion>Trequan>Corey Davis

Have a hunch the national breakout begins in about an hour. Debating plying Gaskin over Slayton in my flex ... still might, but I may also chicken out. 
I hope to see that tbh.

The injuries have been so vast this season, I have ended up with Gaskin on the end of my benches in 3/4 leagues.

I really doubt they will ever give him a true bellcow role, after making the effort and getting Howard and Breida. (Doesn't  management generally try and force these mediocre type guys into roles trying to "prove" their selections were right?)

But, this *IS* the Dolphins.......you never know.

In the back of my mind I think we would need to see one HELL of a showing/breakout tonight for him to get a big role going forward.....kinda hoping it happens actually.

TZM

With Moss looking questionable for Sunday, I'm going to leave Gaskin on the bench in favor of Singletary. Still rooting for a breakout tonight though. Could use the help.

Featured the whole 1st drive. Had 2 goal line carries. Never came out. Always fell forward. Looks like this is his job to lose now

2nd drive: made a great catch 1st play and got a horse collar tackle penalty added on. Also 1st run got blown up. Had a guy in the backfield with him as he got the handoff. Ran a route next play than came out most likely to get a breather. 2 plays later Howard got a 1yard td dive on 1 carry. Going to be interesting how this plays out tonight.

I really doubt they will ever give him a true bellcow role, after making the effort and getting Howard and Breida. (Doesn't  management generally try and force these mediocre type guys into roles trying to "prove" their selections were right?)
Generally that is true but Flores is on record saying he will play who he thinks are the best players regardless of draft position or acquisition status. 

That being said, Gaskin is clearly not the GL back, that's Howard. But otherwise he seems to be the guy right now. 

Myles Gaskin rushed 22 times for 66 yards in the Dolphins' Week 3 win over the Jaguars, adding five receptions for 29 additional yards. 

We would like to say "that's how you take over a backfield," though Gaskin's 95 yards on 27 touches leaves something to be desired. Nevertheless, after entering Week 3 with 26 total handles, he doubled that this evening, even earning three touches inside the Jaguars' five-yard line. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to cash any of them in for touchdowns, something Jordan Howard managed with a one-yard plunge in the first quarter. There could still be some more shenanigans in this backfield, but a player in Gaskin who was already looking like the lead certainly seemed to cement that tonight. He will be a viable FLEX option for next week's potential shootout with the Seahawks. 

Sep 24, 2020, 11:43 PM ET

Great to see Gaskin finally get the touches he deserves. The Dolphins winning big helps his cause, but just hope the modest efficiency - despite the Jags stacking the line against him - doesn't put a shred of doubt in the coaching staff's mind whether he should continue to carry the load.

He was facing 8- and 9-man boxes for much of the game, so I'll give him a pass on that. He did well getting what was there. 
The problem is he will be facing 8-9 in the box every week since Miami has no other real threats.  He's a good WW find though for sure and will have some nice weeks.

The problem is he will be facing 8-9 in the box every week since Miami has no other real threats.  He's a good WW find though for sure and will have some nice weeks.
Yeah. Great story. Ordinary NFL talent. Simple as that. Great flex option based on match-ups that week. He is not taking balls to the house or lighting up defenses. He is a grinder/slasher type.

Devante Parker, Preston Williams and Mike Geseiki are better than average weapons in the passing game - as long as you get the good Fitzmagic. 

Parker, Williams and Gesicki are pretty good pass options. Fitz only threw the ball 20 times last night (completing 18), so there wasn't even much of a need to throw. We'll see when the Dolphins have to play from behind and throw, which will probably be often.

Users who are viewing this thread