What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you could start a new career what would it be? (1 Viewer)

This is interesting coming from a non-golfer. Why not a pro-surfer, or other athlete?
Very little risk of serious injury. They make way more money than a surfer. They can make millions of dollars for 20 years. Plus it’s a sport that many rich old people wish they were good at so a lot of folks can resonate with the type of talent that you have.

successful golfers as they age have countless sponsorship and spokesperson opportunities to continue to make money into their 60s and 70s.

Very little risk of serious injury. They make way more money than a surfer. They can make millions of dollars for 20 years. Plus it’s a sport that many rich old people wish they were good at so a lot of folks can resonate with the type of talent that you have.

successful golfers as they age have countless sponsorship and spokesperson opportunities to continue to make money into their 60s and 70s.
Sure, but he mentioned wanting to win the Masters specifically. I’m trying understand why that is appealing for someone who doesn’t partake in the sport.

While surfers are a bad example, there are plenty of other sports with relatively low injury risk and great earning potential - baseball, tennis and auto racing, to name a few.

Sure, but he mentioned wanting to win the Masters specifically. I’m trying understand why that is appealing for someone who doesn’t partake in the sport.

While surfers are a bad example, there are plenty of other sports with relatively low injury risk and great earning potential - baseball, tennis and auto racing, to name a few.
Sure. But most people don’t play high-level baseball or tennis or auto racing into their 60s.

If you don’t like golf then it wouldn’t make sense to dream to be a professional golfer but many people play the sport their entire lives and to think about being able to play at a professional level a sport that you play at an amateur level is very appealing. 

Sure. But most people don’t play high-level baseball or tennis or auto racing into their 60s.

If you don’t like golf then it wouldn’t make sense to dream to be a professional golfer but many people play the sport their entire lives and to think about being able to play at a professional level a sport that you play at an amateur level is very appealing. 
Earning a bazillion dollars over a few years or decades is inconsequential IMO. But tennis can be enjoyed well into middle age, and beyond.

Again, my original question referred to a non-golfer interested in winning the Masters. Unlike pro football, for example, golf is reasonably accessible to most of the population, so I assumed anyone that interested would actually play.

Full disclosure: I don’t like golf.

Scientist, working on the mysteries of the universe and seeking other planets suitable for human life. This rock we're on will only last so long. I'd like to think mankind can outlive earth.

Would have gone into the Navy at 18, did my 30 and retire at 48 like one of my high school buddies did. He's now living the life in Florida, retired and posting pics of him smoking ribs and brisket every few days while I work, and work, and work...
Best thing I ever did was getting out of that culture after 6 years (original enlistment.) I am proud to have served but driving through body parts to confirm a kill shot is no way to prepare you for peaceful retirement.

Basketball coach, fireworks tent owner and house flipper.

I was scared of teaching out of school and went into business, but I've never stopped loving hoops.  I ref now, but I'd rather be competing.

I'm am working on doing the other two side hustles.

Bartender. Did it through college and I’m actually thinking about retiring and working a few nights a week as a bartender in a nice steakhouse.

Earning a bazillion dollars over a few years or decades is inconsequential IMO. But tennis can be enjoyed well into middle age, and beyond.

Again, my original question referred to a non-golfer interested in winning the Masters. Unlike pro football, for example, golf is reasonably accessible to most of the population, so I assumed anyone that interested would actually play.

Full disclosure: I don’t like golf.
I would imagine back in its heyday, many non-boxers would have said they wanted to be heavy weight champion of the world. 

Money and prestige is what I would surmise. 

I would imagine back in its heyday, many non-boxers would have said they wanted to be heavy weight champion of the world. 

Money and prestige is what I would surmise. 
Sure, but again, a lot of professional sports offer all those things. And short of Tiger Woods in his heyday, pro golfers and courses are hardly of interest to the non-golfing public.

Additional disclosure: I lived in Augusta GA, so I know what a hellhole the area outside the confines of Augusta National is.

House flipper in Ohio
So, my income is pretty steady with the rentals and is really more than enough to cover expenses.  Not much flipping (nothing cheap enough to buy and make money on) lately, so I've been kinda bored the last year or so.  

My degree is Accounting, but I have no interest in the mundane office 8-5.  Looking to do something new.  

Professional athlete is out of the question haha.

Never had a "dream job".

Thought about getting my RE license.  Not terribly excited about the idea.

Considered a franchise.  Was approved for Papa Johns, but thats really expensive, and the returns seem less than average.

Anyone ever consider going blue collar?  Like tech school?

Sure, but again, a lot of professional sports offer all those things. And short of Tiger Woods in his heyday, pro golfers and courses are hardly of interest to the non-golfing public.

Additional disclosure: I lived in Augusta GA, so I know what a hellhole the area outside the confines of Augusta National is.
Why does this matter? It honestly sounds like you have a bit of an anti-golf opinion.

We are trying to explain that being a top pro golfer you will likely earn more money and be more relevant longer so if you don’t have a particular sport that you’re obsessed with and you get a chance to pick any sport to be really good at golf makes sense financially.

unless you dislike golf in which case I would suggest you’re wish should not be to become a professional golfer.

If pro golfer doesn't work out. Try pro Bass Fishermen. I've been watching that stuff on TV. Looks like a hell of gig. 

Why does this matter? It honestly sounds like you have a bit of an anti-golf opinion.

We are trying to explain that being a top pro golfer you will likely earn more money and be more relevant longer so if you don’t have a particular sport that you’re obsessed with and you get a chance to pick any sport to be really good at golf makes sense financially.

unless you dislike golf in which case I would suggest you’re wish should not be to become a professional golfer.
If the point is to make a ton of money, why not aspire to be the CEO of a large corporation? Perhaps because the job itself isn’t that enjoyable.

The same would probably apply to an occupation in a sport with which you have no experience, unless you’ve had interest but no access to that sport. Considering the number of high paying jobs in professional athletics, I think most people could pick something they’ve actually played.

And yes, my disdain for golf does color my opinion, but that doesn’t change my curiosity why a non-golfer would pick professional golf as their dream job.

This question should have had the disclaimer that you have to actually have the inherent talent to do this new career

I'll go with commercial fishing, building up my business with years of hard work on the water behind me.  Pretty much the Bubba Gump model.

When I was in my senior year of high school my father told me I should study to become a Speech Pathologist and Audiologist. He was a school bus driver and had heard that the State has mandated each school district hire one per two schools. They had a few years to complete this which happened to coincide with my college graduation. I didn’t listen. My good friend did listen. He got a job right out of college making 70k. He saw 3 kids a day and the tools of his trade were board games and a guitar. All of them were hired on in the executive pay band which is the vice principle and principle salary band. He now has 20 years in and makes 140k. I hate him.

Brunell4MVP said:
"successful profressional golfer"

definitely correct here.  But having played mini-tours myself, I can guarantee you that unsuccessful pro golfer is not what you want to be.  miserable.
Unpack this one a bit, please. I would love to hear some of the backstory.

I watched a blurb on minor league baseball (single A) years ago (early 1990’s) and those guys had it rough. Four to a room in hotels that made Motel 6 look luxurious. $20 a day for meals. Making about $20K a year. Most of the guys would never sniff the majors but most would chase the dream for several years. 

Users who are viewing this thread