What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thread for LIBERALS ONLY to talk about RBG and the Supreme Court (1 Viewer)

That’s two (maybe). Collins is an obvious possibility for No #3, but I really have no idea who else would break from McConnell on this. Any ideas?

Jim Dabakis @JimDabakis

BREAKING: A high-level Romney insider tells me Mitt Romney has committed to not confirming a Supreme Court nominee until after Inauguration Day 2021. #Mittrevenge #utpol

7:54 PM · Sep 18, 2020
Holy crap @caustic you really came through.

Gutted. That is all I can say. 

And I really feel like they are going to force some wingnut through after the election even if Trump loses. 

My first reaction was to be mad at her for not hanging on for another 4 months which is completely irrational and unfair. 

And I guess my biggest fear is this now becomes the thing that brings all the conservatives home again to re-elect Trump and hold onto the Senate majority.

That’s two (maybe). Collins is an obvious possibility for No #3, but I really have no idea who else would break from McConnell on this. Any ideas?

Jim Dabakis @JimDabakis

BREAKING: A high-level Romney insider tells me Mitt Romney has committed to not confirming a Supreme Court nominee until after Inauguration Day 2021. #Mittrevenge #utpol

7:54 PM · Sep 18, 2020
It's easy to say that now going into the election, but if Biden win and the Dems take the Senate, I'm not sure how the Republicans don't take the low hanging fruit. The threat to add two new justices, perhaps? That may be a door that we don't want to open though. I'm still peeved that Garland didn't get on the bench. Such a vanilla nominee who seems less partisan than many currently on the court.

(Disclaimer, registered - D, but fairly moderate outside of UBI and HC4A)

I feel like this election may have just become about USSC seats instead of the *bleep*show that is going on in our country right now. 

I'm one who hopes Trump pushes it thru quickly.  There's nothing Democrats can do to stop it anyway.  You want to mitigate its effectiveness as an election tool.  Hell...you can't even stop it in a lame duck session.  Better to take your pain now when it would hurt the least and you still might benefit from it than waiting.  

For other people,  I think what fatguy meant by RBG effing up was not about dying but about not retiring during Obama's term. He was talking about his wife saying this for a while and I tend to agree this was a blunder for the purpose that RBG believed in. Especially considering she was 87 years old when she passed today. 

We desperately need term limits on supreme court justices and if not we need some of these people to pass the torch before it is too late. 

I just am really upset right now and weed is not calming me down.  Can anybody see a bright side anywhere or some kinda positive?
ActBlue received $1 million in donations in the last hour. I think that’s as good a silver lining as you’re going to find in this one, good buddy. 

I think what fatguy meant by RBG effing up was not about dying but about not retiring during Obama's term. He was talking about his wife saying this for a while
This is a correct interpretation of what I said but it was somebody else who had the disagreement with his wife.

Wait, all the guys that couldn’t stay out of the one non Trump hate thread now want a safe space...this is rich. 😂

Also not allowed, we are inclusive and treat all equal here. Come on guys. This whole forum is 99.9% liberals anyways???

Last edited by a moderator:
If they seat someone the backlash will crush trump and Republicans in senate and house.
So the upside is this seat does not become an election issue and the Dems take control of the executive and legislative branch.

The downside is that they put someone in there (that may be unqualified and highly partisan and borderline crazy) in their 40s and we have to wait another 40 years to undo that. 

I'm not sure winning the election trumps the downside. 

I'm not sure winning the election trumps the downside. 
Well, think about that though.

The real "hot button" topic is abortion.  And the reason it is a SC issue is because the legislature has never acted.

Imagine a filibuster-less Senate passing abortion legislation, that is also passed by the house and signed by the President.

Makes the SC mostly a moot issue on abortion.

And, that is not even factoring in the Dems "fighting back" and putting 4 young liberal justices on the SC, to form a 7-6 majority....

These are not simple black and white questions or answers - its very complicated - both the short-term, and long-term.

I'm not a liberal but I'm also not a MAGA type.  When I flipped channels and saw this, my immediate reaction was that this is the worst possible thing that could happen right now.  I always liked RBG even if I usually disagreed with her, so I'm sad for her passing.  She's a great person and deserves to be remembered as such.  I hate the fact that a wonderful person's death is going to turn into a partisan ####-show.  There should be a better way to handle the supreme court than this.

I don't have much for you man.  All I can say is that I'm raising two daughters that very much believe like RBG.  Some day they'll be able to vote.  
Idk the way liberals are not having kids these days will their vote matter? And what’s the point when we are all dead in 12 years?

Well, think about that though.

The real "hot button" topic is abortion.  And the reason it is a SC issue is because the legislature has never acted.

Imagine a filibuster-less Senate passing abortion legislation, that is also passed by the house and signed by the President.

Makes the SC mostly a moot issue on abortion.

And, that is not even factoring in the Dems "fighting back" and putting 4 young liberal justices on the SC, to form a 7-6 majority....

These are not simple black and white questions or answers - its very complicated - both the short-term, and long-term.
Republicans aren’t the ones taking about abolishing the filibuster rule. Let’s remember who started getting rid of that rule and who has said they would get rid of the rule in 2021

d I guess my biggest fear is this now becomes the thing that brings all the conservatives home again to re-elect Trump and hold onto the Senate majority.
I want Trump to lose badly.  My immediate worry is exactly along your lines.  An open SCOTUS vacancy is exactly the kind of black swan event that could change how the election goes.  

Admittedly, I am the wrong person for this particular thread and I hope @fatguyinalittlecoat will bear with me here a little.  I'm voting for Biden knowing that he will get a SCOTUS appointment or two and that I won't like those folks.  I'd rather see Trump ram somebody through and then lose to Biden than see Trump reelected.  That would be a perfectly fine tradeoff to me, but it's easy for me to say since I'd probably like Trump's nominee.  In other words I'm deeply conflicted on this.

Edit: Also, I'm happy to slag off if you'd prefer.  I would be beside myself with grief/anger if I were a left-of-center SCOTUS guy.  I totally get that and I don't intend to demean that or debate that at all.  I felt the same way when Scalia passed.

For other people,  I think what fatguy meant by RBG effing up was not about dying but about not retiring during Obama's term. 
I’m aware of what he meant, I just think it’s bad form to be openly mad at her and complaining that she effed up by not retiring so a Democrat could have her seat when she just lost her life 

Her own words regarding if the president should nominate a candidate in an election year: 

“There’s nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being president in his last year.”

Her own words regarding if the president should nominate a candidate in an election year: 

“There’s nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being president in his last year.”
Yes, which is why Merrick Garland should have gotten not only a hearing after Obama nominated him, but also a Senate vote, which McConnell prevented from happening, so it is inconsistent and hypocritical that now you think Trump should move forward with his replacement of Ginsburg.

Seriously MAGA people can you just give us like 24 hours off? Then we can all go back to being jerks to each other.  I just really feel like I need to chat with some like-minded people right now.
I'm sorry, man, but this cracked me up. You live in Montgomery County, MD, just like I do, except that your political cohort has such an ovewhelming majority  and complete lockdown of political opinion, media and power in our area, that it makes the population in this Forum  resemble 'slightly skewing left'...and I was born, raised and have spent most of my 52 years living in MoCo, so believe me, I know. Boy, do I. Unless you are a complete recluse, you have no dearth of like-minded people to commiserate with...and in-person, no less...and knowing where we live, it's likely all they want to talk about, or will, for the forseeable future. Hell, you could probably howl your displeasure out your back window right now, and immediately have a veritable Hallelujah Chorus of assenting voices within shouting distance, with whom to vocalize your displeasure like a gaggle of harpies.

Sorry, man, but knowing where we're from, your post made me guffaw...and I hope the irony of it, taken in context, at least brings a wry smile to your face. I wish ill to no one, and I hope you find a peaceful pathway through the turmoil RBG's passing and the potential resulting fallout appears to be causing you. I'll avail myself to a tubeful of pharmaceutical-grade cannabis right now, in an across-the-aisle gesture of good will to help you get through this.

squistion said:
Yes, which is why Merrick Garland should have gotten not only a hearing after Obama nominated him, but also a Senate vote, which McConnell prevented from happening, so it is inconsistent and hypocritical that now you think Trump should move forward with his replacement of Ginsburg.
It’s the presidents job to nominate and the senates job to vote or not vote 

I'm not hypocritical at all. I agree- the senate should have voted and not confirmed Garland. You’re the one saying he should have gotten a vote but now is saying Trump shouldn’t nominate a replacement 

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
I just am really upset right now and weed is not calming me down.  Can anybody see a bright side anywhere or some kinda positive?
The bright aide is that Ginsburg had a fantastic, brilliant life which we can celebrate.  The mitigating factor for me, and I know you disagree, is that the practical effect the politicization of the Supreme Court has on our day to day lives is massively overrated. 

The bright aide is that Ginsburg had a fantastic, brilliant life which we can celebrate.  The mitigating factor for me, and I know you disagree, is that the practical effect the politicization of the Supreme Court has on our day to day lives is massively overrated. 
I am an old school traditional liberal--not exactly the current meaning of the word, but this politicization should scare conservatives, liberals and even leftists

It's hard to believe that just a generation ago moderate Republicans George Bush and Gerald Ford appointed left wing justices in Souter and Stevens respectively and it wasn't even considered a huge deal.

The only thing I strongly care about the SCOTUS for is my 2nd Amendment right and it being something that affects my life--along with affirmative action to suppress people like me based on race (Asian) and the worry that this "temporary measure" is going to be used to discriminate against my kids and their kids and so on just as it was used against me.

On a larger scale I also get concerned by 4th/1st Amendment violations on the extent of stuff like eminent domain, civil asset forfeiture, Patriot Act, NSA spying and censorship

But objectively I have to concede that none of these things have a truly direct, immediate impact on my life and it's concerning how successful politicians have been in framing nominations as the end of democracy and freedom

Someone didn't read the thread title I see.  
“Please give us just one thread where liberalism can dominate the discussion”

that’s real cute, in a forum that is vile toward anyone conservative, 99.9% liberal

man it’s like liberals have absolutely nowhere to talk about their liberalism and vent on how horrible trump and conservatives are. Thank goodness the OP created a safe space for liberals. Of all places, the Political Forum is exactly where that’s needed. The echo chamber exists nowhere else on this forum

TheMagus said:
Gutted. That is all I can say. 

And I really feel like they are going to force some wingnut through after the election even if Trump loses. 

My first reaction was to be mad at her for not hanging on for another 4 months which is completely irrational and unfair. 

And I guess my biggest fear is this now becomes the thing that brings all the conservatives home again to re-elect Trump and hold onto the Senate majority.
I really wouldn't worry about the "wing nut" charge

Kavanaugh wasn't my favorite ideologically for some illiberal positions on the 4th amendment (I do admittedly like Gorsuch a lot), but Trump for the SCOTUS has yet to pick an ideologue, wing nut or anything close

Both picks he has made are the kind that could/would have been made by a President Jeb, Kasich or Rubio

Thunderlips said:
There isn't one.  Liberal and Democratic voters in 2016 didn't pay attention to the words of Barack Obama in his interpretation of elections.  
BHO and Dem congress were also too shortsighted to see the perils of expanding executive authority and introducing the nuclear option as an end around.

Users who are viewing this thread