What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 2: Which WR will far exceed his ranking OUTSIDE the consensus TOP 25? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
10-Team, 12-Team, you kinda know you're going to start WR1s and WR2s meaning the Top 12 or Top 25 basically is non negotiable for most. You can spend all week rocking back and forth that Stud-A has Stud-B covering him but in the end you're gonna play Julio Jones so let's skip the top shelf stuff that was already gobbled up by the 4th-5th round and let's focus on guys you drafted as WR4/5/6 types but suddenly due to injuries mostly you gotta go deep into the bench already. The Godwin/AJ Brown combo looking a little thin this weekend I'm afraid to say. 

So what WRs are you eye balling or which ones do you have a gut feeling on this week? 

Corey Davis: Seems like an easy choice when I see him ranked barely inside the Top 50, like 49th especially with AJ Brown OUT on Sunday from what I read/hear. He is still sitting around on the WW in many leagues. 

Emmanuel Sanders: Was fairly cheap in most drafts and now finds himself to get more targets with Michael Thomas out. He still was only lined up for about 48% of the snaps, that could change this week but Smith actually had more snaps at around 65%.  And yet Smith only had 1 target. I would focus on Sanders. 

Allen Lazard: I liked him a lot last year but felt he was in over his head at times, this season he looks a lot better and he had almost as many snaps as Adams and a heckuva lot more than MVS. He caught all 4 targets last week for 63 and a score, I like what i see and MVS still makes heinous drops. 

What WRs do you see with a shot to crack the Top 25 this week that don't normally get ranked inside there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Davis only got what he did because the defense ignored him week one and focused on shutting down brown.  It will be his best game of the season and in a titans uniform.

Davis only got what he did because the defense ignored him week one and focused on shutting down brown.  It will be his best game of the season and in a titans uniform.
I think there is merit in this and it applies to many other players or situations. We see a guy go down and assume the other man left standing it going to ball out. Defenses that only have to focus on 1 decent WR are going to lock him down a lot in theory. Now there are exceptions like Miami last year, how in the heck did Parker manage to rack what he did as about the only decent WR Miami had, that was healthy at least. So it can go both ways but I agree that Corey Davis should be handled this weekend...but then I seem to remember him exploding at times or at least flashing skills his 1st and 2nd year and think he could have a big game this weekend. 

We are discussing Corey Davis but Adam Humphries stands to see an increase in targets, yes/no? He is no threat to break anything but he had 7 targets last week, hauled in 6 catches and I don't remember any of them. He is a shoe in for 10 in PPR but he isn't likely to get a lot more or do a whole lot with whatever he catches. 

Slayton

campbell

shenault
Laviska is not a household name but he was very productive in his 1st NFL game...

BTW!!! Did anyone catch that Gardner Minshew completed 19 of his 20 passes...did you know Jacksonville only threw the ball 20 times? Did you know Minshew completed 95% of his passes? Did you know this Shenault kid caught 20% of his targets? Just digest that because there has been a lot of hype about many rookies but this kid is barely 21, was drafted 42nd overall and there were like 6 or 7 taken ahead of him but he can catch, run a little bit, already scored a TD, was in on over 60% of the snaps and his role will only grow. Jacksonville is a complete work in progress right now and they want to go young, this kid will see the field a lot if he doesn't get hurt, goes at over 225 so he isn't small at all. 

And Slayton? He seems like the goods

i like this call a lot. I think DJones is a good QB in fakefootball world. He may grow into being a good qb in the real world, but I had him on my roster his rookie year and he was good then, but after one game I see a lot of improvements. His passes to Slayton were fluid and i think they can score a ton of fantasy points between these two.

You said "this week", so I will assume you mean "for the week" not rest of season.

2 big ones flying under the radar for THIS WEEK are Quintez Cephus and Brandon Aiyuk.

Quintez Cephus - Last week he had 10 targets, TEN .  The Lions are playing GB, and their defense isn't great by any stretch, and it may turn into a shootout. As long as Golladay is out (and he is this week) Cephus could be a sneaky good play. He is currently only  1% rostered on Yahoo. The fact that he DID NOT SCORE last week has kept him flying under the radar.  When Golladay comes back, he loses much of his value obviously.

Brandon Aiyuk - Again, another short term play, but for right now Kittle is OUT, and Deebo is on I.R.  I think he is a great short term play vs the Jets this week, who seemingly haven't had a great defense since the 1960's.   The thing is here, his value could easily turn into something more long term as well, if Kittle's injury drags on, and lets face it Deebo has already had one setback, those foot ("Jones fractures") injuries can linger.  I'm hoping Deebo comes back soon, but you never know with these injuries. So I don't know that Aiyuk has top 25 for the season upside, but I suspect he has much more value than many realize if Deebo can't get right, and Kittle doesn't heal up shortly. He is currently only 32% rostered on Yahoo so he isn't completely off the grid like Cephus, but he is still available in most leagues.

TZM

Do you mean ranked Top 25 this week or by ADP coming into the season?

@CanaBuc's list is strong, but outside of guys mentioned, Marvin Jones wasn't Top 25 AFIK and has opportunity this week. Could see Preston Williams crack the top 20 this week and Edelman who was ranked outside of the T25 coming into the season resurfacing from the dead.

Ruggs looks like he's banged up, so potentially Renfrow.

MSV 

Watkins 
dude MVS is terrible

Can't believe people are getting fooled by him again. He legitimately sucks

Watkins will show up big when we needed for us like he always does. Consistent fantasy WR? 

I have my doubts but I suppose it's possible

I'm not sure where Scotty Miller is ranked but with Godwin likely out i think he has a very good week. He produced last week with Evans and Godwin playing and against a good Saints D. This week Godwin is likely out and they get the Carolina D.

Keelan Cole - Had the most targets last week as well as the go ahead/game winning score

other 2 wrs are talented enough to draw better coverage and he will feast on his coverage 

trying to think of a similar WR in seasons past in a Gruden offense 

Do you mean ranked Top 25 this week or by ADP coming into the season?

@CanaBuc's list is strong, but outside of guys mentioned, Marvin Jones wasn't Top 25 AFIK and has opportunity this week. Could see Preston Williams crack the top 20 this week and Edelman who was ranked outside of the T25 coming into the season resurfacing from the dead.

Ruggs looks like he's banged up, so potentially Renfrow.
I think the thread title is pretty spot on but I'm happy to talk privately with you STC 👍

The players who weekly fill up the first 20-30 spots on the WR rankings list, we're not talking about those folks. This thread is aimed mostly for people trying to fill out WR3/4 and Flex spots but sometimes due to injuries you might have to push these guys into slots you normally would not. 

Whomever the AJ Brown and Godwin owners drafted for their bench, they weren't thinking Week 2 they might have to actually start playing them. Some folks had to do it Week 1. 

Laviska is not a household name but he was very productive in his 1st NFL game...

BTW!!! Did anyone catch that Gardner Minshew completed 19 of his 20 passes...did you know Jacksonville only threw the ball 20 times? Did you know Minshew completed 95% of his passes? Did you know this Shenault kid caught 20% of his targets? Just digest that because there has been a lot of hype about many rookies but this kid is barely 21, was drafted 42nd overall and there were like 6 or 7 taken ahead of him but he can catch, run a little bit, already scored a TD, was in on over 60% of the snaps and his role will only grow. Jacksonville is a complete work in progress right now and they want to go young, this kid will see the field a lot if he doesn't get hurt, goes at over 225 so he isn't small at all. 

And Slayton? He seems like the goods
I heard a few NFL scouts say they thought Shenault would be a bust. I think this kid is going to be pretty special and runs much better routes than the Jags brass anticipated. I hope they continue to be creative with him and the sky is the limit! Full steam ahead in dynasty 

You said "this week", so I will assume you mean "for the week" not rest of season.

2 big ones flying under the radar for THIS WEEK are Quintez Cephus and Brandon Aiyuk.

Quintez Cephus - Last week he had 10 targets, TEN .  The Lions are playing GB, and their defense isn't great by any stretch, and it may turn into a shootout. As long as Golladay is out (and he is this week) Cephus could be a sneaky good play. He is currently only  1% rostered on Yahoo. The fact that he DID NOT SCORE last week has kept him flying under the radar.  When Golladay comes back, he loses much of his value obviously.

Brandon Aiyuk - Again, another short term play, but for right now Kittle is OUT, and Deebo is on I.R.  I think he is a great short term play vs the Jets this week, who seemingly haven't had a great defense since the 1960's.   The thing is here, his value could easily turn into something more long term as well, if Kittle's injury drags on, and lets face it Deebo has already had one setback, those foot ("Jones fractures") injuries can linger.  I'm hoping Deebo comes back soon, but you never know with these injuries. So I don't know that Aiyuk has top 25 for the season upside, but I suspect he has much more value than many realize if Deebo can't get right, and Kittle doesn't heal up shortly. He is currently only 32% rostered on Yahoo so he isn't completely off the grid like Cephus, but he is still available in most leagues.

TZM
Quality post all the way around, liked your attention to some players that are not on most folks radar. 

Detroit got beat because they stopped scoring, they went conservative on offense IMO and they should let Stafford throw at will. My biggest beef with the latest regime coaching is how they don't seem to understand Stafford is about as good as Matt Ryan and has far less weapons at his disposal. 

I like your thoughts but it would be hard to trust Cephus.

I'm intrigued, tell me more? Any long term potential? Which WR this week?
Kittle is out. Deebo out. Aiyuk is playing but might not be 100%. Jimmy looks to Bourne in the end zone regardless historically. This week he is a great play.

long term potential? No. His viability hinges on the health of Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, which are improving each day.

Tre'Quan Smith, IF Brees throws him the ball. He had 2 huge games as a rookie, but not much since although he looked explosive to me on his 2019 catches.

Tyler Boyd is ranked in the low 30s but he could sneak into the low 20s if Burrow keeps throwing the ball 60 times a game. He almost had 2 TDs on Thursday.

Aiyuk?

Only because I’m forced to start him and trying to will him to have a good game.
He certainly could perform well if he performs well. Kind of a mystery at this point.

I could definitely see a scenario where he catches two or three quick balls and they start peppering him as a top target (I do expect a lot of McCannon and mostert receptions). 

I could also see a scenario where he runs a bad route or drops a couple passes and has never heard from again in a game the 49ers may not have to pass a lot in to win.

I can see the third scenario where the Niners run 80% of the time, get a lien, and just don’t need to put the ball up very much.

two out of three of these scenarios would not favor Aiyuk. You will get something… Shanahan is going to want to play with his new toy. It’s just tough to predict how much that will be.

I'll go really bold, and say Breshad Perriman. No Crowder, no Bell, playing from behind against a banged up secondary. Its probably more boom/bust than I'd want to start, but the upside and volume (Crowder had 13 targets last week) are there.

N’Keal Harry
I like this because they will have to keep up with #letrusscook and won’t be able to play as conservative as last week. He has the Q designation and it’s the night game so if he doesn’t go we are screwed....is this just a BB move or could he miss?

So I'm in a deep league and have to play... Someone... From the waiver, and they're all pretty crap.  Anyone like anyone from this group -

Nelson Agholor

Cordarrelle Patterson

Olbisi Johnson

So I'm in a deep league and have to play... Someone... From the waiver, and they're all pretty crap.  Anyone like anyone from this group -

Nelson Agholor

Cordarrelle Patterson

Olbisi Johnson
Johnson. Minshew was 19 of 20 last week vs the Colts. And the D will key on Theilen. 

Nelson Agholor

Cordarrelle Patterson

Olbisi Johnson
I don't like any of these guys and I wonder what your other options might be.

If Ruggs doesn't play then maybe Agholor sees an increase in playing time as the Z WR. I do not like Agholor at all but he might be the best option out of these 3. That said it might be Renfrow who sees more playing time in that scenario as suggested by STC (who knows the Raiders better than me) above.

Jefferson had more snaps than Olibisi Johnson in week one. Now the Vikings were going to 3 and 4 WR a lot because they were behind in the score and running their hurry up offense. I don't think that is what the Vikings want to do if things are going the way they want them to. I don't really see Johnson being a guy worth having as I expect Jefferson to overtake him in playing time and opportunity sooner than later.

There has to be someone else better for you to choose right?

We are discussing Corey Davis but Adam Humphries stands to see an increase in targets, yes/no? He is no threat to break anything but he had 7 targets last week, hauled in 6 catches and I don't remember any of them. He is a shoe in for 10 in PPR but he isn't likely to get a lot more or do a whole lot with whatever he catches. 
Yes. Adam Humphries.

Nelson Agholor

Cordarrelle Patterson

Olbisi Johnson

Johnson and pray.......... and I don't think its close. Do you believe in prayer?       :)

I'd be looking for Aiyuk or Cephus. Besides if you add Cephus and win, you can rename your team to Bo-Cephus' Bandits.

Good luck.     

TZM

I don't like any of these guys and I wonder what your other options might be.

If Ruggs doesn't play then maybe Agholor sees an increase in playing time as the Z WR. I do not like Agholor at all but he might be the best option out of these 3. That said it might be Renfrow who sees more playing time in that scenario as suggested by STC (who knows the Raiders better than me) above.

Jefferson had more snaps than Olibisi Johnson in week one. Now the Vikings were going to 3 and 4 WR a lot because they were behind in the score and running their hurry up offense. I don't think that is what the Vikings want to do if things are going the way they want them to. I don't really see Johnson being a guy worth having as I expect Jefferson to overtake him in playing time and opportunity sooner than later.

There has to be someone else better for you to choose right?
Unfortunately the next best guys on the waiver in terms of week one points scored purely kr/pr yards.  This is a 30-35 roster dynasty league with a 3 year rookie taxi squad, so even a guy like Cephus is gone.

My top wrs (Godwin, Deebo, and Crowder) are out.  Boyd played Thursday and I'm moving up shenault from my ts to start.

Unfortunately the next best guys on the waiver in terms of week one points scored purely kr/pr yards.  This is a 30-35 roster dynasty league with a 3 year rookie taxi squad, so even a guy like Cephus is gone.

My top wrs (Godwin, Deebo, and Crowder) are out.  Boyd played Thursday and I'm moving up shenault from my ts to start.
I play in some pretty deep leagues too but what you are describing is really ugly.

As I said I think Agholor is the best choice out of those 3 but I don't think it is a good choice at all.

Thinking about this dillema just from a numbers perspective I think Olabisi Johnson is a better option than Agholor. Johnson had almost 3 times as many snaps as Agholor and more receptions. Ruggs practiced today and he may be able to go on Monday.

I have a lot of negative feelings about the Vikings right now perhaps coloring my view against Johnson. If the Vikings don't play better defense they will be chasing the score every game. 

Thinking about this dillema just from a numbers perspective I think Olabisi Johnson is a better option than Agholor. Johnson had almost 3 times as many snaps as Agholor and more receptions. Ruggs practiced today and he may be able to go on Monday.

I have a lot of negative feelings about the Vikings right now perhaps coloring my view against Johnson. If the Vikings don't play better defense they will be chasing the score every game. 
I'm also really down on the vikings this year.  In one of the predictions thread I had them go 6-10 and I'm sticking to it. Still, garbage time points count.

I'm also really down on the vikings this year.  In one of the predictions thread I had them go 6-10 and I'm sticking to it. Still, garbage time points count.
Thanks for piling on lol

Their defense should improve over time. It couldn't be much worse than it was raps wood. Hopefully Taylor lets them have the ball at some point.

Thanks for piling on lol

Their defense should improve over time. It couldn't be much worse than it was raps wood. Hopefully Taylor lets them have the ball at some point.
If it makes you feel any better I think they're in the worst division in football.  Don't like any of those teams, GB was probably the worst 13-3 (they were 13-3 right?) team that ever was last year.

Sunday Morning gut check time...

Mike Williams LAC: Should be fairly high scoring game, Chargers lost their Center for the season, that's usually not good for the offense in general. He had 9 targets last week and I've even seen him ranked ahead of Keenan Allen this week. Seems like an easy Flex Play or even a WR3 slot. I still think he is erratic, partly because of the offense in general but he has been getting better throughout his career. Consistency is what I'm looking for. 

I still like all 3 from my OP as well.

One more thing that's not WR related but is TE, some of you compete in leagues with no mandatory TE, just lumped in under receiver...

Chris Herndon TE/Jets: He battled injuries last year, seemed to be targeted often enough last week and they figure to be playing from behind often. PPR leagues, he could easily find 12-15 this weekend based on volume. 

S. Miller & E. Sanders

LOGIC: I’m starting them

WAIT WAT WHY: bc Godwin & Thomas are out

CONFIDENCE LEVEL: about the same as a gazelle tryna outrun a cheetah

Users who are viewing this thread