What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In This Thread I Rank My Favorite Solo Eagles' Songs 1-1 (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
1. Boys Of Summer - Don Henley

*drunk guy falls, singing*

Out on the road today, ya da da Deadhead sticker on a Cad-ill-lac
Voice inside my head said don't talk back you can never talk back
Thought I knew who you were
But did I know
Those days are gone forever
And you can ####in' blow

But I can see you
Mauve gloves shinin in the sun
You got your hair combed back
Wayfarers gone, baby

Last edited by a moderator:
2. Boys of Walden, Henry David Throreau

Out on the road today, I saw Louisa May Alcott with her hand up her dress
A little voice inside my head said ol' Ralph Waldo puts the suck in success
Thought I was self-reliant
What did I know
By this pond i'll live forever
And y'all can ####in' blow, but...

You know life's been weird when the bassist of the pop-punk band that covered your song and made it a semi-hit again got arrested for fraud and embezzlement a few years back.

Don't look back/you can never look back

1. Boys Of Summer - Don Henley

*drunk guy falls, singing*

Out on the road today, ya da da Deadhead sticker on a Cad-ill-lac
Voice inside my head said don't talk back you can never talk back
Thought I knew who you were
But did I know
Those days are gone forever
And you can ####in' blow

But I can see you
Mauve gloves shinin in the sun
You got your hair combed back
Wayfarers gone, baby
Pretty good, but this is the correct answer.  Youtube title has this incorrectly credited to The Eagles and not Joe Walsh.

Pretty good, but this is the correct answer.  Youtube title has this incorrectly credited to The Eagles and not Joe Walsh.
I had Smuggler's Blues ( @Encyclopedia Brown)and Walsh -- and his other smash hit -- in mind when I constructed this monstrosity, but there can be only one. With Wayfarers. Man, hearing this in The Warriors makes me start missing my iconic blond of a would-be stripper girlfriend back from 2005.

Rock and jam, man.

Is it true that Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers wrote that song? 
Co-wrote and played on the track.

Henley really had a Murderers Row in the studio during the Building the Perfect Beast sessions. Members of both The Heartbreakers and Toto were on hand. Then Randy Newman and Lindsey Buckingham dropped by to pitch in. Belinda Carlisle, Patty Smyth, and Martha Davis (The Motels) sang harmony. On top of all that, a slew of contemporary session all-stars.

Rock, for your consideration...

“Boys of Summer” is outstanding. “Sunset Grill” is ethereal.

Timothy B. Schmit’s “Tell Me What You Dream” is about as perfect a slice of pop as you could ask for. Restless Heart wisely hewed close to Schmit’s original when they covered the tune.

Is it true that Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers wrote that song? 
Campbell wrote and music and made a demo and tried to get Petty to write lyrics for it, but the Tom of 1984 was still in his anti-synthesizer phase, so their producer (Jimmy Iovine) suggested playing the demo for Don Henley.

By the time the song became a hit, Petty had forgotten all about rejecting the demo, so he actually confronted Campbell about "giving away" a hit song, and Campbell had to remind Petty that it was the same synth/drum machine demo that Petty had rejected months earlier. (This site says that Petty subsequently punched a wall in anger, although other sources attribute the wall-punch to frustrations over the mixing process.)

i really needed Boys of Summer when it was big. my first year of fulltime chasing the gamble for fun & profit, major tooted ALL the frikkin time, courting trouble with the crazyass girl of my dreams, i was carrying humungous, dancing homunculus pressure in my chest. when this tune would come on, i'd stop time like that Desperado guy and tee up all my angst til Mike Campbell's seagull break, when all the wiseguy bats would swarm out my form

"It reached number five on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the US"

There is another "Solo Eagles Song" that immediately came to mind that charted higher (in the US Billboard Hot 100), can you name it?...

Hint #1: It was released the same year

"It reached number five on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the US"

There is another "Solo Eagles Song" that immediately came to mind that charted higher (in the US Billboard Hot 100), can you name it?...

Hint #1: It was released the same year
Without research: “The One You Love” by Glenn Frey.

EDIT: Nope -- didn't chart high enough, also a few years too old.

The Heat Is On
Ding, ding, ding.  I'm sure the success of "Beverly Hills Cop" helped.

"The song became a major hit single, reaching No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in March 1985, behind "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon.[3] It was also popular internationally, reaching No. 2 on the Australian Singles Chart in 1985 and gaining peaks of No. 8 on the Canadian Singles Chart and No. 12 on the UK Singles Chart.[4] In the United States, it is the highest charting solo single by any member of the Eagles."

Ding, ding, ding.  I'm sure the success of "Beverly Hills Cop" helped.

"The song became a major hit single, reaching No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in March 1985, behind "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon.[3] It was also popular internationally, reaching No. 2 on the Australian Singles Chart in 1985 and gaining peaks of No. 8 on the Canadian Singles Chart and No. 12 on the UK Singles Chart.[4] In the United States, it is the highest charting solo single by any member of the Eagles."
Just below it, Dirty Laundry hit #3

ETA: I missed the additional info about being in the same year, so that's where I erred.

"Dirty Laundry" and "The Heat Is On" are this exact type of #### songs I had in mind and remembered from my childhood when I titled this thread.

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down

Just an awful, asinine song. 

The heat is

BOOM
BOOM
BOOM BOOM BOOM

On...

I in no way intended this thread to be a celebration of the Eagles' solo stuff, but yet, thar she blows.

THE HEAT IS ON.

"Dirty Laundry" and "The Heat Is On" are this exact type of #### songs I had in mind and remembered from my childhood when I titled this thread.

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down

Just an awful, asinine song. 

The heat is

BOOM
BOOM
BOOM BOOM BOOM

On...

I in no way intended this thread to be a celebration of the Eagles' solo stuff, but yet, thar she blows.

THE HEAT IS ON.
The kick 'em part is kind of annoying, but I like Henley's scathing commentary about the news industry.

Of course, the real heroes of the song are the great separate guitar solos by Joe Walsh and Steve Lukather.

zamboni reacted to this (thinking emjoi)

It was my way of saying I loathe the song's content as well as its delivery, but am welcome to all viewpoints on it that may be more educated than mine. That's really all. 

It's really a reaction to those synths in the song and the mechanized kick drum, I think. Anything that grating has a hard time invoking any sympathy or credence from me.

zamboni reacted to this (thinking emjoi)

It was my way of saying I loathe the song's content as well as its delivery, but am welcome to all viewpoints on it that may be more educated than mine. That's really all. 

It's really a reaction to those synths in the song and the mechanized kick drum, I think. Anything that grating has a hard time invoking any sympathy or credence from me.
No worries. Not married to the song and Henley is a first class #####. Just love me some great guitar solos and I think it has two of them. 

No worries. Not married to the song and Henley is a first class #####. Just love me some great guitar solos and I think it has two of them. 
That's cool. Just that a dose of self-humility for myself can help me at times be more educated about a topic, though nothing circa 2020 is really going to make me go back and relive the unpleasantness that the song invokes in my memory. 

I'm laughing as I write this, and not meanly. There are indeed no worries. 

It's funny. You start a thread as sort of a light-hearted rejoinder to music critics' hate (okay, Big Lebowski's hate) of the Eagles and their solo efforts with a sort of "Yeah, but haven't you ever gotten really drunk and missed that girl and ####ed up the lyrics anyway?" thread laughing at your own damn self in homage to krista's thread, and you're met with people reminding you that Joe Walsh did cool solo #### indeed and that your tastes aren't primary in the music world. Nor has falling for the girl or reveling in the throes of something potentially related therefrom been your own thing, exclusive to you at the time.

Kind of cool. Thanks for contributing, all. 

And if that doesn't kill this thing...

I like the Eagles and their solo work. A lot actually. 
Why do we give up our hearts to the past?
And why must we grow up so fast?

And all you wishing well fools with your fortunes
Someone should send you a rose
With love from a friend,
It's nice to hear from you again
And the storybook comes to a close
Gone are the ribbons and bows
Things to remember, places to go
Pretty maids all in a row

Short people are just the same as you and I

All men are brothers till the day they die-

-bridge to “Short People” by Randy Newman, sung by Glenn and Don (my favorite solo Eagles moment) 

Users who are viewing this thread