What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Dalton Schultz, HOU (1 Viewer)

Truebluey

Footballguy
Cowboys draft Stanford TE 

Dalton Schultz

Published: Apr 28, 2018 at 07:53 AM

Chris Wesseling

Around the NFL Writer

Dallas has found a prospect to groom as franchise legend Jason Witten's successor.

The Cowboys selected Stanford tight end Dalton Schultz with the No. 137 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Amid reports of Witten's impending transition to the broadcast booth, the Eagles traded ahead of their division rivals to snatch the promising Dallas Goedert two rounds earlier.

Although Stanford coach David Shaw has labeled him the most "complete" tight end he's had in recent years, Schultz lacks the receiving potential of former Cardinal stars Zach Ertz and Coby Fleener.

"He's not flashy but he just does his job basically," one scout told BobMcGinnFootball.com. "He's not overpowering or anything. Above average to average in everything. He's not in the class of those other big-time Stanford tight ends. If he's a starter I'd be surprised."

Last edited by a moderator:
Dallas Cowboys tight end Dalton Schultz led the team in targets with 10 in a Week 2 win over the Atlanta Falcons. He caught nine of those passes for 88 yards and a touchdown. After starting tight end Blake Jarwin went down with a knee injury in Week 1, it was assumed the Cowboys would mostly go away from involving the tight end in the passing game, but Schultz had other ideas. His score came on a 10-yard pass from quarterback Dak Prescott in the fourth quarter, helping the Cowboys to their impressive 40-39 comeback win. If Schultz continues to see this kind of involvement in the offense, he could be the least expected TE1 in many years.--David A Marcillo - RotoBaller
Source: NFL.com

Seems that he is suddenly fantasy relevant. Things change quickly around here.

Seems that he is suddenly fantasy relevant. Things change quickly around here.
I am disappointed in myself that I didn't see this coming. His performance after Jarwin went down should have been a gigantic flashing sign, but no one in my league believed it, so now I'm sure I'll miss him with my low WW claim. Probably to the team I face this week with my luck. :(  

He's going to be a little inconsistent since he will be Option 5 in the attack, but the pie is going to be huge so he could be a nice TE2 bye week fill in
I dunno - Dak looks to his TE early and often. I think he's going  to have a very nice weekly floor in PPR format. The TDs will be the occasional boom but I don't anticipate a lot of bust games. He'll have at least 3-4 receptions so long as he's healthy. He's a huge target. 

I am disappointed in myself that I didn't see this coming. His performance after Jarwin went down should have been a gigantic flashing sign, but no one in my league believed it, so now I'm sure I'll miss him with my low WW claim. Probably to the team I face this week with my luck. :(  
Maybe we saw things differently, but I saw his performance as a giant red flag.  He was out of position, ran poor routes and dropped passes in Week 1.

Maybe we saw things differently, but I saw his performance as a giant red flag.  He was out of position, ran poor routes and dropped passes in Week 1.
I meant the target share. He was peppered. I didn't say he was the 2nd coming of Antonio Gates. 

I meant the target share. He was peppered. I didn't say he was the 2nd coming of Antonio Gates. 
You definitely saw a different game.  He saw FOUR targets in Week 1, catching 1 for 11 yards.

He was a disaster and completely unworthy of any consideration at all based on that performance.

Week 2, a completely different guy showed up.

You definitely saw a different game.  He saw FOUR targets in Week 1, catching 1 for 11 yards.
Yes, because it wasn't a whole game. He came on the field and was targeted 4x in the next 6-7 plays. I questioned it in the in-game topic. I didn't see a different game, thanks.

He was a disaster and completely unworthy of any consideration at all based on that performance.
Maybe to your eye. I saw a dude the Cowboys clearly committed to as a Jarwin replacement. Sometimes it's more than what you see on the stat sheet. 

Week 2, a completely different guy showed up.
Nope - the same guy who they immediately targeted 4x after Jarwin went down showed up, but with more confidence in a starting role. Maybe it was you who saw a different game....or at least failed to read between the lines. ;)  

Yes, because it wasn't a whole game. He came on the field and was targeted 4x in the next 6-7 plays. I questioned it in the in-game topic. I didn't see a different game, thanks.

Maybe to your eye. I saw a dude the Cowboys clearly committed to as a Jarwin replacement. Sometimes it's more than what you see on the stat sheet. 

Nope - the same guy who they immediately targeted 4x after Jarwin went down showed up, but with more confidence in a starting role. Maybe it was you who saw a different game....or at least failed to read between the lines. ;)  
You must have been drunk, Jarwin went down in the first half. Shultz got his targets through several drives in the 2nd half, and they were all ugly.

I view it as:
Week 1:   could have been nervous & processing too much  (don't read too much into it)
                 and how many targets in practice with the 1's would he have rec'd?? 

Week 2:   was the clear #1 TE so had time to prepare

The ultimate question is:  Do you want a partial piece of the Dallas offense, which appears to need to score points since their defense isn't stout?
                                              OR someone like Mo Allie Cox, who could see a bigger % of the INDY receiving  pie who lost P.Campbell and has a TE friendly QB? 

Week 2:   was the clear #1 TE so had time to prepare

The ultimate question is:  Do you want a partial piece of the Dallas offense, which appears to need to score points since their defense isn't stout?
                                              OR someone like Mo Allie Cox, who could see a bigger % of the INDY receiving  pie who lost P.Campbell and has a TE friendly QB? 
Latest on Campbell is "at least 3 weeks", which means it could also be "as little as 3 weeks". 

So part of your equation has to account for short-term vs long term asset valuation. Jarwin is out for the season. Mo Cox could only have a month's worth of true relevance. 

Dallas is obviously using him. The issue is lots of mouths to feed.  Game script dependent.
Through 2 games Atlanta are allowing a 70% success rate on passes to TEs (#28 in the NFL).

This week is Seattle: allowing only 37.5% success to TEs (#5) while allowing 65.2% to WRs (#29).

Could be big games for Gallup, Cooper, and Lamb.

The Cowboys defense is trash, so they are likely gonna be in a lot of shootouts this year.  Even as the 5th option, the Dallas starting TE should be put up solid numbers. Definitely worth adding if you need depth or a desperation starter.

Dalton Schultz caught 4-of-6 targets for 48 yards in the Cowboys' Week 3 loss to the Seahawks.

Schultz tied with CeeDee Lamb for the fifth-most targets on the team. The fact that Schultz starts in this high-powered passing attack will keep him in the TE2 mix, but his target share will fluctuate from week to week. Luckily for Schultz, the Browns are up next on the schedule. They've allowed production to tight ends this season. He's a TE2 streaming option.

Sep 27, 2020, 8:39 PM ET

The Cowboys defense is trash, so they are likely gonna be in a lot of shootouts this year.  Even as the 5th option, the Dallas starting TE should be put up solid numbers. Definitely worth adding if you need depth or a desperation starter.
Yeah...will be targeting a TE possibly this week with both Goedert and Cook limping off yesterday.

Dalton Schultz caught 4-of-8 targets for 72 yards and one score in Dallas' Week 4 loss to Cleveland.

It occurred in garbage time, but Dallas' inability to stop Cleveland on the ground allowed Schultz to haul in a 26-yard touchdown — his second in place of Blake Jarwin (torn ACL) — to bring the Cowboys within 11 points in the final quarter. Schultz has averaged eight targets per game in his last three starts, consistently staying involved as the team's only viable receiving threat at that position. He'll stay a low-end TE1 in Week 5 if only for his ongoing volume in the league's most potent aerial attack.

Oct 4, 2020, 6:02 PM ET

Cowboys TE Dalton Schultz (thigh) is expected to play in Week 5 against the Giants.

Schultz went down late in Sunday’s loss to the Browns. He avoided structural damage and is day to day. Schultz seems likely to miss practice time, but this shouldn’t keep him out.

SOURCE: ESPN Dallas

Oct 7, 2020, 11:46 AM ET

Any news if he practiced today? I can't find anything out there for some reason. 

It has since been updated. He practiced and is not on the injury report. 

What do we think his value will be for the rest of the year now that AD is at the helm?  Did not get much usage last week even when they needed to pass. How has AD used TE's in his previous experience. There are a few TE's available (of similar value) and someone just dropped Gesicki to fill a bye week so I have options. I liked his value before, but rethinking now. 

What do we think his value will be for the rest of the year now that AD is at the helm?  Did not get much usage last week even when they needed to pass. How has AD used TE's in his previous experience. There are a few TE's available (of similar value) and someone just dropped Gesicki to fill a bye week so I have options. I liked his value before, but rethinking now. 
I would stop posting and run to pick up Geisicki.  Then of course, come back and post away.

I dunno - Dak looks to his TE early and often. I think he's going  to have a very nice weekly floor in PPR format. The TDs will be the occasional boom but I don't anticipate a lot of bust games. He'll have at least 3-4 receptions so long as he's healthy. He's a huge target. 
For season long Schultz will provide a welcome relief to those suffering from the lack of TE production. Cowboys defense is a sieve so they will be playing in a lot of shoot outs.

Dynasty is less clear. Schultz had a decent profile coming out of high school. He never really took the Cards by storm. That might be due to CMac and Bryce Love hogging the touches. Regardless, I liked what I saw in limited action. 

Multiple questions surround his staying power. Does Dak return? (I think he does) Does the organization like Jarwin more than Schultz? (No idea) Will the Cowboys retain their current group of WRs? (Doubtful. Would require too much money to be tied up in a single position.) Overall I think he is a decent dyno prospect but his current market value may not be worth the risk. 

For season long Schultz will provide a welcome relief to those suffering from the lack of TE production. Cowboys defense is a sieve so they will be playing in a lot of shoot outs.

Dynasty is less clear. Schultz had a decent profile coming out of high school. He never really took the Cards by storm. That might be due to CMac and Bryce Love hogging the touches. Regardless, I liked what I saw in limited action. 

Multiple questions surround his staying power. Does Dak return? (I think he does) Does the organization like Jarwin more than Schultz? (No idea) Will the Cowboys retain their current group of WRs? (Doubtful. Would require too much money to be tied up in a single position.) Overall I think he is a decent dyno prospect but his current market value may not be worth the risk. 
From a redraft perspective, I hope you're correct.

Last week was disappointing, but I'll be very interested in seeing how the offense morphs under Dalton.

From a redraft perspective, I hope you're correct.

Last week was disappointing, but I'll be very interested in seeing how the offense morphs under Dalton.
I think that is to be expected moving forward. There are too many mouths to feed for Schultz to be a consistent option.

Got him for a 6th in a 16 team TE prem league where I lost Kittle.

Not my every week starter but I figure good depth behind Hurst.

Dalton Schultz caught 4-of-4 targets for 44 yards in the Cowboys' Week 13 loss to the Ravens.

Every gameday, Schultz steps off the bus, posts 6-12 PPR points, and goes to sleep. He's unlikely to pop for anything more than that, but Schultz has a usage-based floor with the Cowboys constantly playing catch up. Schultz is best-viewed as a TE2 for the fantasy playoffs. His matchup against the lifeless Bengals in Week 14 is a good one.

Dec 8, 2020, 11:48 PM ET

ERIC EBRON: AN ELITE WEEK 14 PLAY

Excerpt:

Dalton Schultz (DAL) at Bengals

Old Schultzy hasn’t made this column in a couple months. I’m glad to have him back because his Week 14 prospects are better than one might think. Schultz, who averages 5.6 targets when Andy Dalton is under center for Dallas, gets the Bengals this week. Praise be. 

Schultz has a 14 percent target share over Dallas’ past three games, largely a result of negative game script and one of the NFL’s least efficient rushing attacks. He continues to see a massive snaps share and runs a ton of routes, as Travis Kelce, Logan Thomas, and Hunter Henry are the only tight ends with more routes run in 2020. That’s helped give Dalton -- who runs a solid 49 percent of his routes from the slot -- some kind of floor for much of the season. 

Cincinnati has allowed the highest target share to tight ends this year, with 25.38 percent of passes against the Bengals going to tight ends. This has led to big outings for everyone from Trey Burton to Zach Ertz to Evan Engram and Mike Gesicki. Some of those guys -- like Schultz -- have seen lulls this year in both target share and production in 2020. But they delivered against the Bengals, often with spikes in targets. 

Tights aren’t just seeing ample opportunity against the Bengals -- they’ve cashed in on their chances. More than 26 percent of the receiving yardage against the Bengals this season has come from tight ends, the highest mark in the NFL. That works out to a tidy 68.5 tight end yards per game against the Bengals. I like Schultz’s shot of exploiting a tantalizing matchup.

Dalton Schultz caught 7-of-10 targets for 70 yards in the Cowboys' Week 17 loss to the Giants.

With Blake Jarwin going down with a torn ACL in Week 1, Schultz was thrown into starting duties. Weeks 2-4, he posted a combined 17-208-2 line with Dak Prescott under center. But, along with everyone else in the Dallas offense, Schultz's numbers took a big dip when Prescott was hurt in Week 5. He topped 50 yards just twice the rest of the way and finished the season with 63-615-4 on 89 targets. Schultz has one year left on his rookie deal. Jarwin's health will play a role in Schultz's role going forward.

- Rotoworld

Practice Points: Another Big Day For Veteran TE

Excerpt:

OXNARD, Calif. – Just like he did last year when he filled in nicely for Blake Jarwin, tight end Dalton Schultz is still taking advantage of his opportunities.

On Sunday, Schultz had arguably his best practice of camp and one of the best days by any player at any position.

The fourth-year tight end caught several passes in both 7-on-7 and team drills. The highlight of the day was a one-handed grab over the middle where he pinned it on his helmet to haul in the 15-20 yard pass.

But still, Schultz was more focus on a play he didn't make.

"I start with the (stuff) that I can improve. I dropped an easy one-step slant," Schultz said. "That's really all I'm thinking about, minimizing those plays. Yeah I thought it was a good practice but you always have to be thinking about what you can do to make it better."

Some of the plays made by Schultz and other receivers were a byproduct of Dak Prescott drawing the defense offsides.

"We were working some cadence stuff. When you get a free play, everybody is taking off," Schultz explained. "We were capitalizing on those opportunities as well as some of the schemes that Kellen has put in to attack the vertical seams."

For now, Jarwin is still working back into full team drills. After last year's ACL injury, he is back in individual and 7-on-7 but has yet to full participate in all drills so far in camp.

Dalton Schultz caught 6-of-6 targets for 45 yards in the Cowboys' Week 1 loss to the Bucs. 

Schultz out-snapped, out-targeted and out-gained Blake Jarwin this evening, but the duo was in something of a timeshare, with Schultz seeing 57 plays to Jarwin's 48. Schultz did get a manufactured touch on a screen, but this figures to be a back-and-forth situation Jarwin works his way back into the touch mix following last year's torn ACL. Schultz will struggle for TE2 appeal in Week 2 against the Chargers.

Dalton Schultz caught 6-of-7 targets for 80 yards and two touchdowns in the Cowboys' Week 3 win over the Eagles.

Teammate Blake Jarwin was targeted just twice, catching both of his looks for 14 scoreless yards. Schultz came into this one with eight catches for 63 scoreless yards. He and Jarwin had been splitting things right down the middle for the most part. Schultz's two-touchdown effort made him the week's overall TE1 for fantasy. His scores came from 19 and 22 yards out. Schultz will likely be a popular waiver pickup this week for desperate fantasy players, but we're skeptical he has anymore games like this unless he separates more from Jarwin. The Panthers are up next in Week 4.

Sep 27, 2021, 11:40 PM ET

Arrgh, I would have bumped this thread a few minutes ago instead of the Cowboys TE thread form 2018, but search function.

Anyway, I thought last week's FBG sleeper column was a little lazy where Jarwin was listed as a sleeper because he out targeted Schultz one week in a row.

Sure has the feel of chasing points by picking up Schultz. Lamb and Cooper were pretty quiet last night, which won't continue. Plus Gallup will probably be back in a few weeks.

Sure has the feel of chasing points by picking up Schultz. Lamb and Cooper were pretty quiet last night, which won't continue. Plus Gallup will probably be back in a few weeks.
Cannibalization will continue- that last TD was truly a gift that was late in the game 

This guy is good. Watch his blocking. 
Agreed. But we don't get fantasy points for run or pass blocking grades. My concern is Blake Jarwin. Is Jarwin a threat, after all, the Cowboys saw something when they gave him that big contract.

Agreed. But we don't get fantasy points for run or pass blocking grades. My concern is Blake Jarwin. Is Jarwin a threat, after all, the Cowboys saw something when they gave him that big contract.
Schultz has been getting the vast majority of targets and the TDs keep coming. 

Blocking is what is keeping him on the field. It is why I mentioned it. 

Users who are viewing this thread