What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​🗳️​​​​​​​​ Official I voted 2020 Thread ​🗳️​​​​​​​​ (1 Viewer)

Side benefit to already voting - I had been getting a lot of texts from McGrath's campaign - ever since I responded that I already voted for her - no more texts!

Are folks voting by mail concerned at all that their vote will be thrown out/nullified?

I plan to vote in person because I feel like can't trust what will happen if I vote by mail, and that's one of the most gut-wrenching questions to deal with in America, the bastion of democracy. We have a president who is actively discrediting the very premise that our democracy hinges upon.

Oh, and big props to all for voting!

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Are folks voting by mail concerned at all that their vote will be thrown out/nullified?

I plan to vote in person because I feel like can't trust what will happen if I vote by mail, and that's one of the most gut-wrenching questions to deal with in America, the bastion of democracy. We have a president who is actively discrediting the very premise that our democracy hinges upon.

Oh, and big props to all for voting!
Not concerns from me at all about the vote being processed properly and counted.  

The material provided in the packet was clear about where to sign.  If you didn't sign (or it didn't match the one on record) you would be contacted to sign.   Actually more information than expected was included in the packet I received.

Question...why is voting this early allowed if you are allowed to vote by mail (meaning voting is now very easy)?  It doesn't seem right to allow voting before we have even had the debates and who knows what else could happen by election day that could be influential for local, state and a national election...is there a logistical reason for this?

Question...why is voting this early allowed if you are allowed to vote by mail (meaning voting is now very easy)?  It doesn't seem right to allow voting before we have even had the debates and who knows what else could happen by election day that could be influential for local, state and a national election...is there a logistical reason for this?
Is your concern that you (or someone else) would change their mind after they vote?  And what's the difference in vote by mail being early vs. what you are saying could be problematic.  Unless you make everyone vote day of you will always have something that could happen.

Filled out my ballot Saturday. No Kanye, but 7 total which is crazy. Dropping it off at Supervisor of Elections later this week. 

Is your concern that you (or someone else) would change their mind after they vote?  And what's the difference in vote by mail being early vs. what you are saying could be problematic.  Unless you make everyone vote day of you will always have something that could happen.
I think I was very clear...why should people vote over a month before an election (we are not talking days)?  I don't understand why there is a rush and was asking because maybe I am missing something.  My point about vote by mail is it is easier then it ever has been to vote so why do people need to vote now when there is still a chance something very influential could take place that could make someone want to change their vote...it just doesn't make sense to me when campaigns are still going on at every level.

:shrug:

Trump could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue, and it would not change my support level for him.

I am voting in person. My intent is to be at the polls at 6am when they open. In 2016 that made me around 40th in the queue, but it goes quickly.

Superfluous vote for PotUS but thee are other important races. I always vote, even special elections where it’s for one runoff or a single referendum.

That is very obvious...but that is just one contest...there are others.
McConnell could shoot someone on High Street, and it would not change my support level for him.

Ditto Andy Barr.

I did cheat a little - I simply voted for the Dem for our State Rep.

We had 2 judges running unopposed.

1 School Board member running unopposed.

There was no reason for me to wait.

Oh, and I voted no on the two Constitutional Amendments - Victim's Rights and extending term lengths for State Attorneys and Judges.

I wasn't going to change my mind on either of those issues.

McConnell could shoot someone on High Street, and it would not change my support level for him.

Ditto Andy Barr.

I did cheat a little - I simply voted for the Dem for our State Rep.

We had 2 judges running unopposed.

1 School Board member running unopposed.

There was no reason for me to wait.
That's great for you but it really doesn't answer the question...I don't see what is gained by voting this early since not everyone is a straight-party voter.

That's great for you but it really doesn't answer the question...I don't see what is gained by voting this early since not everyone is a straight-party voter.
I am done voting - I don't have to worry about something coming up that might hinder my ability to vote.  I have far fewer concerns that my ballot will not make it in time.

I also have not gotten any new text messages since I responded that I already voted.

I think I was very clear...why should people vote over a month before an election (we are not talking days)?  I don't understand why there is a rush and was asking because maybe I am missing something.  My point about vote by mail is it is easier then it ever has been to vote so why do people need to vote now when there is still a chance something very influential could take place that could make someone want to change their vote...it just doesn't make sense to me when campaigns are still going on at every level.
Voting has not started here...but not every state has vote by mail available to everyone.

Im going to guess those going to vote early or mailing in ballots now...are not going to change their mind no matter what.  I don't think this is the middle of the road/undecideds that are out voting early and mailing in ballots now.

Im all for as much access to polling places as possible...if that means early voting to ensure everyone can make time to vote...then do it.

sho nuff said:
Voting has not started here...but not every state has vote by mail available to everyone.

Im going to guess those going to vote early or mailing in ballots now...are not going to change their mind no matter what.  I don't think this is the middle of the road/undecideds that are out voting early and mailing in ballots now.

Im all for as much access to polling places as possible...if that means early voting to ensure everyone can make time to vote...then do it.
I am not trying to be a pain but I still have not heard a reason why it needs to be this early...fully understand the more votes the better but unless there is some logistical/medical type of reason I don't understand the benefit or necessity of doing it this far in advance...it doesn't seem fair to the candidates (especially at the more local levels) who are still humping it trying to get votes...the more I think of it the more I don't understand it because this seems to promote more partisanship with a "nothing will change my mind" attitude...

Last edited by a moderator:
October 19th is when I can go to the polls for early voting. You bet yer ### I am going on that day right in the morning. 

I am not trying to be a pain but I still have not heard a reason why it needs to be this early...fully understand the more votes the better but unless there is some logistical/medical type of reason I don't understand the benefit or necessity of doing it this far in advance...it doesn't seem fair to the candidates (especially at the more local levels) who are still humping it trying to get votes...the more I think of it the more I don't understand it because this seems to promote more partisanship with a "nothing will change my mind" attitude...
I don't see voting early as promoting partisanship - but rather flexibility for the voter.  I could have mailed the ballot in later if I wanted.  But for me, no further input from the various candidates was required to make my selection.   I understood their positions on the issues that mattered most to me at local, statewide and federal levels.

Boston said:
I know exactly how I am going to vote. Nothing will change my mind at this point. I do not want to deal with lines, or crowds of people.

Simple. 

Early voting is great and it is our right. What is so hard to understand.

I don't see voting early as promoting partisanship - but rather flexibility for the voter.  I could have mailed the ballot in later if I wanted.  But for me, no further input from the various candidates was required to make my selection.   I understood their positions on the issues that mattered most to me at local, statewide and federal levels.
I guess it is what it is...I just don't see that as a reason to vote so far out when mail in voting is making voting very easy.

I know exactly how I am going to vote. Nothing will change my mind at this point. I do not want to deal with lines, or crowds of people.

Simple. 

Early voting is great and it is our right. What is so hard to understand.
I stated my point...I don't see the reason and I don't think it is fair to the candidates...couple that with the fact mail in voting makes voting beyond easy and I just don't see what the rush is other then if you are a straight ticket person.

Side benefit to already voting - I had been getting a lot of texts from McGrath's campaign - ever since I responded that I already voted for her - no more texts!
This is actually a selling point I use when talking to voters, especially now that AZ is a battleground state.

1. Vote now and everyone will leave you alone.

2. Your preferred candidates can use resources on other things instead of bothering you.

Does it "need" to be this early?  Maybe not.

Is there anything undemocratic about this process?  Probably not.

This is a very different election - up and down the ballot.

At the top, you have two widely known candidates.

At the bottom, you have a weird election where typical campaign activities are out the window.

You also had the Trump Party create unnecessary confusion at the USPS - calling into question whether they could deliver ballot applications and/or ballots in a timely manner.

I am not suggesting everyone should vote early - but there is nothing inherently wrong with it in a general election.  

I stated my point...I don't see the reason and I don't think it is fair to the candidates...couple that with the fact mail in voting makes voting beyond easy and I just don't see what the rush is other then if you are a straight ticket person.
Do you think there should be not be early voting at all? Or just not this early?

Are you opposed to someone who gets an absentee ballot, then spends some time to evaluate the candidates, and then votes?

Because, I suspect in most cases, when people go to vote in person, outside of the major races, the voters have no idea who the candidates are in minor local races.  Is that your preference?

I kind of liked having the ballot, and time to look it over - even though in my case the minor elections were all unopposed races.

Are you opposed to someone who gets an absentee ballot, then spends some time to evaluate the candidates, and then votes?

Because, I suspect in most cases, when people go to vote in person, outside of the major races, the voters have no idea who the candidates are in minor local races.  Is that your preference?

I kind of liked having the ballot, and time to look it over - even though in my case the minor elections were all unopposed races.
Zero issues with having the ballot early...actually that is probably a good thing because you now have the cheat sheet to study everything...just don't see the need to vote over a month early when there is still a lot of meat left on the bone for many races.

Zero issues with having the ballot early...actually that is probably a good thing because you now have the cheat sheet to study everything...just don't see the need to vote over a month early when there is still a lot of meat left on the bone for many races.
What do you think will change in a month - in terms of candidates positions?

That is what I am voting on - what positions will they take once elected.

In the general election - I think those positions are fairly rigid at this stage of the election.  These candidates have been vetted once in a primary, and now its about competing visions - but those visions are largely known.

In the primary - I can see wanting to see how things play out a little - but, the reality is nothing prevents me, as a voter, from doing that research, finding a candidate I like, and then voting for them.

What do you think will change in a month - in terms of candidates positions?

That is what I am voting on - what positions will they take once elected.

In the general election - I think those positions are fairly rigid at this stage of the election.  These candidates have been vetted once in a primary, and now its about competing visions - but those visions are largely known.

In the primary - I can see wanting to see how things play out a little - but, the reality is nothing prevents me, as a voter, from doing that research, finding a candidate I like, and then voting for them.
Locally, I think a lot can happen...I think it is easy to have your attitude in a Biden/Trump matchup but that will not always be the case...as far as Biden and Trump (i.e. a Presidential election) goes I think it is absolutely wrong to be able to vote before we have even had the debates regardless of how entrenched you already feel...and as I keep going back to there does not appear to be any real benefit to it and it really seems to be pushing more partisanship...so, I guess I can move on because I was looking to see if there was some type of logistical reason I was not aware of as to why voting so early is allowed but it appears to be because it is what it is.

Biden could literally fall flat on his face tonight - and I still don't want another 4 years of Trump as president.

The debates, in this election, will hold very little sway in people's minds - because this election is primarily a referendum of Trump's presidency.  If you like what Trump has done, you are going to vote Trump.  If you do not like what Trump has done - you are going to vote against Trump.  Nothing in that regard will be illuminated during any of the debates.

Biden could literally fall flat on his face tonight - and I still don't want another 4 years of Trump as president.

The debates, in this election, will hold very little sway in people's minds - because this election is primarily a referendum of Trump's presidency.  If you like what Trump has done, you are going to vote Trump.  If you do not like what Trump has done - you are going to vote against Trump.  Nothing in that regard will be illuminated during any of the debates.
Great...that is one election...still does not answer the overall question.

Early voting is available to anyone who wants to vote (in states that allow early voting).

If you want to wait, wait.

Stop whining though.
Sorry, I forgot trying to ask a question and get an answer is considered whining...you are 100% right, it's a great idea, you really convinced me with the reasoning that because you already know who you are voting for everyone else does as well.

What is the deal with people infringing on other people's rights because they don't agree with something?

Don't want to vote early? Then don't. Simple as that. 

Stop trying to tell other people what they should and shouldn't do because of what you think. That's the larger point of "pro-choice" that unsurprisingly gets missed in those discussions.

Boston said:
Why not?  If we're to believe the fear mongering, the mail is going to be overwhelmed so the sooner we get them in the better right?  I already know who's fully supported Trump through this fiasco and who hasn't locally.  I know who wants to raise my taxes and who doesn't.  I, like 95% of the country, have made up my mind, so why not send it in to avoid the impending doom being peddled?

It depends on where you live. I live in a state that 1) has a lot of experience with vote-by-mail, and 2) allows voters to fix their signature if their ballot is rejected. Under those conditions, then vote-by-mail is clearly the superior option.

In several states, if you vote early, then you have an opportunity to correct your signature if your ballot is rejected.

That option is not available for in-person voting.

Users who are viewing this thread