What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty - who do you trade Saquon for? (1 Viewer)

Hankmoody

Footballguy
So you're a contender.  You just lost your centerpiece.  It's a dynasty, but you're loaded up to win now.  Who are you trading Saquon for straight up?  Do you take EZE?  Henry?  Cook?

And just because I know a bunch of donkeys won't be able to keep it on topic, I'll go ahead and allow the reverse - who would you realistically offer for him?  Don't tell me no Fournette and a 2nd BS, make it offers you think you'd accept in the right situation.

Bonus question - who won't you trade for Saquon?

Initially I’m not trading him 1:1 for anyone except EZE. But I realize his drop in value hasn’t really hit me yet. Also, he hasn’t done a whole lot since his rookie year... so perhaps he is over valued in general? 

I never played in a dynasty before so pardon the ignorance here, but I'm always curious how different a dynasty operates. In a dynasty league, are there pretty much teams that are playing for a win this year and a clear separation of teams that, after two weeks, already throw in the towel? I mean, I get trying to get Saquon for future since you'd be willing to part with him only under this circumstance, but why would they offer an actual, viable winner for this year like EZE, Henry, or even Cook? I guess maybe Henry, but i don't think he's that old yet. I realize this is off topic for what you're asking, so tia for any response.

I never played in a dynasty before so pardon the ignorance here, but I'm always curious how different a dynasty operates. In a dynasty league, are there pretty much teams that are playing for a win this year and a clear separation of teams that, after two weeks, already throw in the towel? I mean, I get trying to get Saquon for future since you'd be willing to part with him only under this circumstance, but why would they offer an actual, viable winner for this year like EZE, Henry, or even Cook? I guess maybe Henry, but i don't think he's that old yet. I realize this is off topic for what you're asking, so tia for any response.
You’re right, two weeks is a little early to be giving up, but many teams are in rebuild mode in my leagues and would be willing to make this move

Yes, not many people would trade EZE or Henry for an injured Barkley, but a healthy Barkley isn’t going for Henry straight up. This is an opportunity to buy the 1.02 in most start ups at a discounted price.

Yeah, if you’re playing for next season, Saquon is a perfect buy. Will be worth more next season and he doesn’t add any points this season. I’d trade Zeke for him if I were in that situation. 

14 Team - NO PPR

I have an offer of Mixon and Conner for Barkley and my 2021 1st Round Round Pick given to me.  Trying to go straight 2 for 1 without the pick.  Other team is going into a rebuild so this is my best shot at getting something for Barkley.  I also lost McCaffrey for some time.

I would start Mahomes, Henry, Mixon, Nuk, Lockett or Conner, Kelce until CMC returns.

14 Team - NO PPR

I have an offer of Mixon and Conner for Barkley and my 2021 1st Round Round Pick given to me.  Trying to go straight 2 for 1 without the pick.  Other team is going into a rebuild so this is my best shot at getting something for Barkley.  I also lost McCaffrey for some time.

I would start Mahomes, Henry, Mixon, Nuk, Lockett or Conner, Kelce until CMC returns.
Definitely wouldn’t do that with the pick, probably wouldn’t do it without it either. Obviously it depends on how you value the players, but feels like 2 nickels for a dime. Im not sold out Conner being relevant for long though.

League specific, but yes there are those teams that have no realistic shot to win this year.  There are also savvy owners that have depth and will smell blood.  If you have say Jacobs, Henry, McKinnon, and Hunt you might be willing to make the play for the guy that you're never getting under any other circumstance. 

League specific, but yes there are those teams that have no realistic shot to win this year.  There are also savvy owners that have depth and will smell blood.  If you have say Jacobs, Henry, McKinnon, and Hunt you might be willing to make the play for the guy that you're never getting under any other circumstance. 
Exactly. Hence the offer of Mixon and Conner from a team looking to rebuild.

Thinking of tossing Cook at him in a rebuild.  No one has offered anything close to value for Cook, might as well trade one injury risk for another I suppose

Thinking of tossing Cook at him in a rebuild.  No one has offered anything close to value for Cook, might as well trade one injury risk for another I suppose
I guess I don’t value Barkley as highly as many on this board do.  I don’t think there’s much difference between him and  Chubb and Cook types. I guess these are ok trades, but I wouldn’t call them great. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I don’t value Barkley as highly as many on this board do.  I don’t think there’s much difference between him and  Chubb and Cook types. I guess these are ok trades, but I wouldn’t call them great. 
Big difference in “tradeabilility”

I think it's a good deal tangfoot made, but I'm not sold on Saquon right now, either. And he has no line. And a contract coming up too soon. 

Barkley is far more talented.  IMO he is the most talented RB in the league today and it isn't close. But he has been held back by his team.  So if you think he will get healthy and eventually the GMen improve OR Barkley leaves to a team that has an OL and a decent QB, then his value is greater. 

1 QB league. Toying with Lamar Jackson for Saquon and some sweetener. I’ve got Kyler and Minshew. Still...it’s hard to let go of Lamar, even for a prime asset.

Hurt twice in three years and runs stiff and seemingly prone to injury. Question: What can you get for Saquon?
Honestly I'm feeling this.  The giants are really bad on offense.  He's swallowed up in the back field on every play.  Hurt two years in a row. Absolutely 0 faith in Jones being the guy, or even remotely good.

What are the chances of him getting back to that 1st year level after two major leg injuries on a team that will be starting over again with a new rookie QB either next year or the year after?

Honestly I'm feeling this.  The giants are really bad on offense.  He's swallowed up in the back field on every play.  Hurt two years in a row. Absolutely 0 faith in Jones being the guy, or even remotely good.

What are the chances of him getting back to that 1st year level after two major leg injuries on a team that will be starting over again with a new rookie QB either next year or the year after?
The Giants line is terrible. I think Daniel Jones is better than you're giving him credit for, but I could be very wrong, so people who roster Barkley in dynasty have to at least consider that he might have somebody new under center, assuming he comes back reasonably healthy, which is also no guarantee.

This comes from a guy who offered Tyler Boyd, a 2021 1st, and Ezekiel Elliott for Saquon. Now? You couldn't get me to trade Zeke straight up. Not even close. You'd better throw in a really good player, too, actually. The fortunes are completely reversed for those two. The question is really the onus of those who roster Barkley: how much can you get for him, realistically?

Yeah, if you’re playing for next season, Saquon is a perfect buy. Will be worth more next season and he doesn’t add any points this season. I’d trade Zeke for him if I were in that situation. 
It's possible of course, but I'm my leagues the rebuilding teams don't have guys like Zeke. 

Yeah, as much as I like Henry in real life, these guys could be depth or on a building team. Any of them, maybe in a package, for Barkley would be an easy buy, assuming you think Barkley comes back in full capacity.

Barkley isn't going anywhere for at least 3 years if the NYG want to use the 5th year option and the franchise tag.  If not, they will probably sign him to an extension.  Either way, it's highly unlikely he's going to be playing for another team anytime soon.  If they don't do those things, that would most likely mean Barkley continues to disappoint for whatever reason.  That would probably be due to continued injury issues since he's talented enough to do well enough to earn an extension when healthy, even if he's not the best RB in the league.  The NYG as a team have already invested a lot in the o-line and it hasn't worked out too well so if you don't have faith that the NYG brass can improve the team, you should adjust your ranking of Barkley accordingly, because he's going to be a NYG for the foreseeable future and the team issues will affect him as they do any RB.

It's possible of course, but I'm my leagues the rebuilding teams don't have guys like Zeke

Yeah, as much as I like Henry in real life, these guys could be depth or on a building team. Any of them, maybe in a package, for Barkley would be an easy buy, assuming you think Barkley comes back in full capacity.
I do. In a quasi-rebuild from an inherited team because of total lack of neglect at depth in WR and aging RB corps as far as usefulness goes. I wasn't winning with Drake and Gordon as my other backs and a wide receiving corps that scares nobody.

I got a first for Melvin Gordon, plus Chase Edmonds (when I rostered Drake) and the 2.07 which turned into Bryan Edwards.

Drake I traded for Terry McLaurin. Drake is 27 and in the last year of his deal. Gordon is 26 and in my estimation, never really that good but for volume (which he seems to have found again to a degree).

But yea, rebuild principles with Elliott on the team. 

I have 2 2021 firsts and 2 2021 seconds, along with a fourth and a sixth.

I do. In a quasi-rebuild from an inherited team because of total lack of neglect at depth in WR and aging RB corps as far as usefulness goes. I wasn't winning with Drake and Gordon as my other backs and a wide receiving corps that scares nobody.

I got a first for Melvin Gordon, plus Chase Edmonds (when I rostered Drake) and the 2.07 which turned into Bryan Edwards.

Drake I traded for Terry McLaurin. Drake is 27 and in the last year of his deal. Gordon is 26 and in my estimation, never really that good but for volume (which he seems to have found again to a degree).

But yea, rebuild principles with Elliott on the team. 

I have 2 2021 firsts and 2 2021 seconds, along with a fourth and a sixth.
It does happen, but most leagues I'd guess Zeke was traded in the off season if the team is rebuilding. But yeah, if your league has him on a rebuild, jump on it.

I'm sitting in one league with Michael Thomas and Barkley. I was a contender.

The Giants line is terrible. I think Daniel Jones is better than you're giving him credit for, but I could be very wrong, so people who roster Barkley in dynasty have to at least consider that he might have somebody new under center, assuming he comes back reasonably healthy, which is also no guarantee.

This comes from a guy who offered Tyler Boyd, a 2021 1st, and Ezekiel Elliott for Saquon. Now? You couldn't get me to trade Zeke straight up. Not even close. You'd better throw in a really good player, too, actually. The fortunes are completely reversed for those two. The question is really the onus of those who roster Barkley: how much can you get for him, realistically?
My thoughts are similar, my team is wracked with injuries so I sent an offer of Zeke to a competitive team that is a Barkley owner plus I get a very late first (Almost certainly will end up 10~12) as a feeler, response was an emotional “you are ####### nuts” Well ok then, LOL

My thoughts are similar, my team is wracked with injuries so I sent an offer of Zeke to a competitive team that is a Barkley owner plus I get a very late first (Almost certainly will end up 10~12) as a feeler, response was an emotional “you are ####### nuts” Well ok then, LOL
Yeah, I'm not selling Zeke for Barkley unless I get more players back in return. I may be ####### nuts, but the Barkley owner is sitting there with zero potential points for the whole year, assuming Barkley is out that long. It's a cold thing, and surely there will be shaking heads to the contrary, but Barkley is not a seller's market in my estimation right now, especially considering what Zeke has done and that which he continues to do throughout his whole career. Barkley now has a major high ankle sprain and a major knee injury in two of this three years.

Anyone not listening to offers or crafting emotional responses like that is overvaluing him, especially vis a vis Ezekiel Elliott, who is playing in a Dallas offense that is so dynamic that he might be in a better team situation than CEH is. And he's better right now than CEH.

I do think a first is a stretch solely because of calcs and expectations, though it lets the other owner know and gather information regarding his value. What the other owner probably doesn't realize is that a tornado just hit his asset.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
It does happen, but most leagues I'd guess Zeke was traded in the off season if the team is rebuilding. But yeah, if your league has him on a rebuild, jump on it.

I'm sitting in one league with Michael Thomas and Barkley. I was a contender.
I tried to trade him to one or two owners and really got nowhere constructive. I'd want an entire draft for him plus guys, so maybe it's me overvaluing the guy I roster. 

He's just not a guy I want to trade, even taking the zero this year. I have good depth at RB in the 2 league I have him, so maybe I'd have a different tune if my next guy was a bum. 

Unless I have something worked out ahead of time, anytime I make a trade to make a trade, it typically doesn't work out the way I plan.
I don't think you took my comment in the way I intended it.

All I was trying to say is that guys like Chubb and Cook have to be moved to a specific team that likes them.  Many GMs avoid either/both of those players.  But every team in your league should be interested in a healthy Saquon.

He's just not a guy I want to trade, even taking the zero this year. I have good depth at RB in the 2 league I have him, so maybe I'd have a different tune if my next guy was a bum. 
Nobody wants to trade him. That might seal the defeat of some pretty good teams otherwise. Our league has Barkley and McCaffrey in one and the same owner. He looked like he'd run away with it. No longer. Oof. What a horrible weekend.

I'm not offering Elliott for Barkley, with Elliott being my main asset. I can't take the risk that my only asset I got in return for Ezekiel Elliott is done for good with a knee that never heals properly or needs a second clean-up or what have you. These things used to ruin guys' careers and still do. The other owner would be taking on so much uncertainty that it's going to be, in my estimation, tough to get what you might feel is proper value for him. At least that's my value on him right now. I'm just offering up the contra to the premise of this thread, which is what would it take to pry Barkley from you? My question: What would Barkley fetch now if you didn't already roster him?

These things used to ruin guys' careers and still do.
Not at all looking to be combative, but I can’t think of a recent (good/established/not some bum) player who had an ACL repair significantly impact what they were pre vs post injury.  Who might I be forgetting about?

Not at all looking to be combative, but I can’t think of a recent (good/established/not some bum) player who had an ACL repair significantly impact what they were pre vs post injury.  Who might I be forgetting about?
This is probably a good time to subscribe and get Jene Bramel's take. But I'll give you an answer off of the top of my own head. ACLs only? Probably very few and far between to where a guy's career is done or he loses more than a step. But if the LCL or PCL is implicated, then I think it becomes way more complex. Guice comes immediately to mind as a guy who tore that cartilage and didn't recover as hoped (we'll likely never know how far recovered he really was.) But in my defense, we've seen that ACLs really are taking not only the year off, but that the next one is marred by soft tissue injuries and feelings of instability in the joint as reported by the player. You're really looking at two full years before fully healthy, based on what I've seen and heard.

Is Bryce Love 100%?

Is Bryce Love 100%?
Thanks for the responses, but I’m curious if there are any examples of proven NFL players as examples, not necessarily late 2nd and 4th round college players who never really did anything in the league.  Not that they can’t be examples, but without knowing whether their skills translated from college to the NFL, it’s difficult to assess what impact their injuries really had in their career trajectory.

And for the record, I own only one share of Barkley and my take is this.  He went from completely unavailable to “I might consider moving him in the right deal.”  But I’m not concerned that he won’t make a full recovery.  If I could think of a non-ancient proven player who had their career derailed by an ACL injury, I might have some concern.  Just can’t recall one though.

Nobody wants to trade him. That might seal the defeat of some pretty good teams otherwise. Our league has Barkley and McCaffrey in one and the same owner. He looked like he'd run away with it. No longer. Oof. What a horrible weekend.

I'm not offering Elliott for Barkley, with Elliott being my main asset. I can't take the risk that my only asset I got in return for Ezekiel Elliott is done for good with a knee that never heals properly or needs a second clean-up or what have you. These things used to ruin guys' careers and still do. The other owner would be taking on so much uncertainty that it's going to be, in my estimation, tough to get what you might feel is proper value for him. At least that's my value on him right now. I'm just offering up the contra to the premise of this thread, which is what would it take to pry Barkley from you? My question: What would Barkley fetch now if you didn't already roster him?
If this is a lost year for you I think it’s a no brainer. This time next season, Zeke is 26 with the carries piling up and Saquon is 24. Sure, you’re are taking some risk but ACL repairs are pretty smooth these days, especially with nearly a full year to rehab. I think at this time next season, Saquon is worth a good bit more than Zeke.

If this is a lost year for you I think it’s a no brainer. This time next season, Zeke is 26 with the carries piling up and Saquon is 24. Sure, you’re are taking some risk but ACL repairs are pretty smooth these days, especially with nearly a full year to rehab. I think at this time next season, Saquon is worth a good bit more than Zeke.
It's a lost year but I think of two caveats: One is that Elliott is likely, the way he runs and falls, to last a bit longer than your average bear. He knows how to take a hit. Barkley hasn't proven that at all yet. He almost had a scary injury during one of his first weeks his first year, and his next two years have been derailed. Barkley's also really about 23.7 right now and this time next year will be about 24.7 to Zeke's 26.2. It's as close to a year as it is to two. Second is that I need to field a competitive team for the balance of the league. Sure, that's way down on the list of people who comment here and explicitly rebuild, but the team I took over had an owner/GM who got kicked out because he wasn't doing some basic maintenance stuff to keep his team competitive for his games. So long-term and short-term tanking are frowned upon and will bring about repercussions. But your point is taken: All things constant, if I wasn't worried about Barkley back in a great situation and I had no health concerns going forward, then yeah, give me Saquon. But if we're talking about Saquon on the NYG and Zeke in Dallas, Zeke not having had been injured in that time (important to emphasize that he could get hurt at any, any moment), I'd take Zeke. I'll have him for one less year likely, but I think he's still got a two-year window of robust yet likely declining performance even after this year. 

I tried to trade him to one or two owners and really got nowhere constructive. I'd want an entire draft for him plus guys, so maybe it's me overvaluing the guy I roster. 
I'd gladly trade all next years rookie picks plus a young guy or two for Zeke in most leagues. (Maybe not contract type or 2 QB leagues)

I'd gladly trade all next years rookie picks plus a young guy or two for Zeke in most leagues. (Maybe not contract type or 2 QB leagues)
Huh. Maybe I should be looking harder. Ironically, I tried to trade him (and a kit and kaboodle) for Saquon twice, as I might have indicated upthread. I'd take Taylor and a young WR and a draft for him.

There! Deal settled! Done. That wasn't hard, was it? 

Huh. Maybe I should be looking harder. Ironically, I tried to trade him (and a kit and kaboodle) for Saquon twice, as I might have indicated upthread. I'd take Taylor and a young WR and a draft for him.

There! Deal settled! Done. That wasn't hard, was it? 
If you want Taylor, a good WR prospect and a teams 1-4 I think you’re asking too much in my opinion. That’s a pretty hefty haul for Zeke.

If you want Taylor, a good WR prospect and a teams 1-4 I think you’re asking too much in my opinion. That’s a pretty hefty haul for Zeke.
Yeah, that would be. It would be too much. I wasn't keeping the 1-4 draft picks thing when I typed that. If I got the haul of Taylor and a good WR prospect I'd limit my request to a first. Which seems like a lot, still. I'd probably either take the WR or the first, really. But one can dream. The guy in our league that has Taylor is in a rebuild and he's likely not doing that deal straight up, the Taylor for Zeke thing. 

Back to Saquon on my end. Sorry for derailing the thread. 

Barkley was just moved in one of my 12 team ppr dynasty leagues (wasn't involved):

Barkley

for

Miles Sanders, Juju, Justin Herbert, '21 2nd (would think early now)

Team getting Sanders etc. had only Wentz at QB so Herbert doesn't appear to be a throw-in. 

Barkley was just moved in one of my 12 team ppr dynasty leagues (wasn't involved):

Barkley

for

Team getting Sanders etc. had only Wentz at QB so Herbert doesn't appear to be a throw-in. 
Any insight on the Roster Outlook Barkley is departing from?  My Barkley owner is in need of RB's.

I have quite a few, but none of them "great" outside of CMC.

Drake, Howard, Gibson, Fournette, Melvin Gordon, Freeman... I'd like to pull a similar move to the mentioned trade.  Put out a text to the current Saquon owner asking what he is thinking... 

Any insight on the Roster Outlook Barkley is departing from?  My Barkley owner is in need of RB's.

I have quite a few, but none of them "great" outside of CMC.

Drake, Howard, Gibson, Fournette, Melvin Gordon, Freeman... I'd like to pull a similar move to the mentioned trade.  Put out a text to the current Saquon owner asking what he is thinking... 
Former Barkley owner had Mixon, Gaskin, Zack Moss, James White at RB (start 2-3), at WR Hopkins, Sutton(!), Boyd, Devante Parker, Mike Williams, Preston Williams (start 3-4), Kelce & Jonnu Smith at TE (start 1-2). Not sure the trade will help put him over the top but it should keep him competitive. Tough losing Barkley/Sutton on same day. 

Former Barkley owner had Mixon, Gaskin, Zack Moss, James White at RB (start 2-3), at WR Hopkins, Sutton(!), Boyd, Devante Parker, Mike Williams, Preston Williams (start 3-4), Kelce & Jonnu Smith at TE (start 1-2). Not sure the trade will help put him over the top but it should keep him competitive. Tough losing Barkley/Sutton on same day. 
Yeah, brutal weekend for injuries.  I would be a little more aggressive for Saquon if CMC wasn't out for 4-6 weeks.  Saquon owner, in my league, has Rodgers and some decent young WR's but no RB depth.  I'd like to capitalize, but don't know if it is in the cards without giving up my entire stable of RB's.  

Barkley

for

That’s not awful for a healthy Barkley.

As it is, I would not be in the market to acquire Barkley. Prior to the season he was at his highest value next to his break-out campaign, and his late season performances likely cemented his 1.02 redraft value in a lot of folks minds. That was the window for Barkley dynasty owners. Narrative: He is the bona fide centerpiece for an up & coming offense, that just took steps to improve the line, has a young strong-armed QB behind center, a borderline  elite TE, and enough receiving weapons to keep a defense honest. They brought in a blue chip LB for a defense on the rise as well, so game scripts could normalize more towards benefiting the run game. The latter aspect of least concern, as Barkley is script independent due to his receiving ability. 

Now, just 2 weeks into the season, we see a team with an OL in shambles, a young signal caller who's been improved with fumbles, but still shaky (likely due to the OL struggles), and enough holes that one draft/off-season is unlikely to solve what ails them. 

I would not be a buyer of Barkley at anywhere near what a Barkley owner will likely command for him. IMO he is dead money. New narrative: Barkley is an injury prone RB who is an all-world talent if he can get/stay healthy, but now has 2 significant lower body injuries in 3 years, and there are looming questions about whether he can stay healthy. For all the grief "Fragile" Fred Taylor took, he started all 16 games 2 years running from 2002-2003, something Barkley hasn't yet achieved. 

To a buyer, I don't see why he would have anywhere near the value he would have had a month ago. I'd be hard pressed to cough up a RB2 & a 2nd round pick for him, because I am assuming 100% of the risk that he 1. can't come back 100%, 2. comes back 100% and gets hurt again, or 3. comes back 100%, stays healthy & the Giants aren't still a FF wasteland with a terrible OL. 

I say that knowing full well that a Barkley owner is never going to accept such a package. So either 1. A Barkley owner wanting to sell will have to lower expectations, or 2. a Barkley owner is stuck taking the aforementioned risks themselves. 

It is what it is: Barkley's value tanks with this injury IMO. I'm sure many will disagree, but only the optimism of the buyer will determine his value. And if there was reason to be that optimistic, no one would be selling him. 

It'll be interesting to see the deals folks post involving him. There's always someone willing to take a chance on a hurt player who's perceived to be elite. I suspect I won't like most of the trades for the buyer, because I see zero reason for optimism. I think he's a terrible dynasty acquisition target as owners will still want an "elite" package for him and there are dozens of better acquisition targets that buyers could likely get for the same or less. 

I know all about optimism for hurt players. I drafted Fred Taylor every year for like 5 years. The first 2 were great. But at some point, even I had to admit Taylor was too fragile to bear the burden of a 5th, 6th, 7th or even 10th round pick. And he stayed healthier than Barkley, for perspective. 

Barkley

for

Word is that PT Barnum never actually said "There's a sucker born every minute", but that doesn't mean it isn't a true statement. 

Barkley owner laughed all the way to the bank on this one. 

Users who are viewing this thread