What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bloomberg Pays Fines for 32,000 Florida Felons to Vote! (1 Viewer)

whoknew said:
Did Bloomberg ask them to vote for someone in particular? Or ask them to vote at all?

I must have missed that in the article.
so if Trump contacted each one of those felons and said hey, to help you get back into civilian world I'm going to give you, from my checking account, double whatever the fines Bloomberg paid and hope you do well and never ask for their vote in Nov

you'd be ok with that ?

so if Trump contacted each one of those felons and said hey, to help you get back into civilian world I'm going to give you, from my checking account, double whatever the fines Bloomberg paid and hope you do well and never ask for their vote in Nov

you'd be ok with that ?
If Trump wants to give away some of his money to paroled felons with no strings attached? I would have no issue with it. And, indeed, I would congratulate him for it.

If Trump wants to give away some of his money to paroled felons with no strings attached? I would have no issue with it. And, indeed, I would congratulate him for it.
fantastic so, if Trump personally mailed $100 to people and reminded them to vote in Nov .... never ASKING for their vote but you know, he is giving money ... you're ok with that too ?

fyi money comes with strings almost always 

you'd be ok with that ?
Trump the philanthropist!!!  Good one!!!!

I'd be fine with Trump doing what Bloomberg did here by donating to the legal organizations helping to get people out from under their legal debts.  Doing so keeps things on the up and up and we don't have to worry about 1:1 "wink wink nod nod" stuff that normally goes on with Trump....of course we know this would never happen ever, but I'd be ok with it if it did.  Who wouldn't be?

Last edited by a moderator:
fantastic so, if Trump personally mailed $100 to people and reminded them to vote in Nov .... never ASKING for their vote but you know, he is giving money ... you're ok with that too ?

Money doesn't almost always come with strings. I know its weird to think of it with Trump, but charity actually exists.

We both know that Trump is a terrible person and so his money most certainly would come with strings. But if he wants to donate to a charity that helps ex-cons, that would be awesome.

Money doesn't almost always come with strings. I know its weird to think of it with Trump, but charity actually exists.

We both know that Trump is a terrible person and so his money most certainly would come with strings. But if he wants to donate to a charity that helps ex-cons, that would be awesome.
and you REALLY think 6 weeks before a presidential election and with Bloomberg hating Trump and desperately wanting Biden to win that giving money ONLY to felons in Florida that just recently got reinstated the right to vote isn't strings?

why doesn't Bloomberg pay the fines for people in other states? why didn't he do that anytime in the last 40 years? 

c'mon man ... he's trying to buy Democrat/Biden votes - you know it, I know it, everyone knows it

Nice cycle we got here...riot for a certain correct cause (while the police stand down) and on the remote chance you are arrested you are usually not charged by a PC DA but if so Kamala and crew will bail you out...in the rare instance you do get convicted once you get out Bloomberg pays your bills...kind of like the circle of life for crime and the only thing you have to do is vote.

and you REALLY think 6 weeks before a presidential election and with Bloomberg hating Trump and desperately wanting Biden to win that giving money ONLY to felons in Florida that just recently got reinstated the right to vote isn't strings?

why doesn't Bloomberg pay the fines for people in other states? why didn't he do that anytime in the last 40 years? 

c'mon man ... he's trying to buy Democrat/Biden votes - you know it, I know it, everyone knows it
Well Florida imposing a poll tax to prevent 5% of its population from voting following a referendum that passed overwhelming to grant them that right to vote probably has something to do with Florida being the chosen state. 

Are there any other states that have instituted this sort of poll tax?

Are there any other states that have instituted this sort of poll tax?
There are 11 states where an ex-felon has to do "something" in order to get their voting rights back.  Prior to 2018 the ONLY way for a felon to get their rights back in this state was if the Governor's super duper secret "committee" would grant them that right back.  In 2018, Florida attempted to get out of the "only member of that group" category and closer to mainstream.  Currently the state government is doing everything it can to keep the wishes of 60% of the state population from being granted.  This poll tax is the last thing standing in their way.  It's true that a good portion of them will vote against Trump.  So, of course Bloomberg wants to get them to vote.  Of course this isn't close to the quid pro quo that SC is suggesting.  He knows that (well, I think he knows that...he should know that).  This is likely why he's having an issue responding to "of course if Trump wants to give to charity that'd be a good thing" from people he assumed would be against Trump doing so.  Worlds collide and the talking points vaporize into the atmosphere and everything becomes a rudderless ship.  

ETA:  Here's a link to what is required by those 11 states:  https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/felon-voting-rights.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice cycle we got here...riot for a certain correct cause (while the police stand down) and on the remote chance you are arrested you are usually not charged by a PC DA but if so Kamala and crew will bail you out...in the rare instance you do get convicted once you get out Bloomberg pays your bills...kind of like the circle of life for crime and the only thing you have to do is vote.
Your timeline is all screwy here friend.

How many do you think who go their fines paid were folks arrested/tried/incarcerated/released for protests that happened only a couple months ago?

Your timeline is all screwy here friend.

How many do you think who go their fines paid were folks arrested/tried/incarcerated/released for protests that happened only a couple months ago?
it was a generic post about what is happening nowadays...I am fully aware this group of felons committed their crimes awhile ago but the good news is they are blazing a trail for future felons.

There are 11 states where an ex-felon has to do "something" in order to get their voting rights back.  Prior to 2018 the ONLY way for a felon to get their rights back in this state was if the Governor's super duper secret "committee" would grant them that right back.  In 2018, Florida attempted to get out of the "only member of that group" category and closer to mainstream.  Currently the state government is doing everything it can to keep the wishes of 60% of the state population from being granted.  This poll tax is the last thing standing in their way.  It's true that a good portion of them will vote against Trump.  So, of course Bloomberg wants to get them to vote.  Of course this isn't close to the quid pro quo that SC is suggesting.  He knows that (well, I think he knows that...he should know that).  This is likely why he's having an issue responding to "of course if Trump wants to give to charity that'd be a good thing" from people he assumed would be against Trump doing so.  Worlds collide and the talking points vaporize into the atmosphere and everything becomes a rudderless ship.  

ETA:  Here's a link to what is required by those 11 states:  https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/felon-voting-rights.aspx
Felon voting rights restored during 4 years of Charlie Crist: 155,000.

Voting rights restored by the clemency committee during 8 years of Rick Scott: just over 3,000.

It's not what  you know.....it's what you can prove.

- Alonzo Harris - 

I wonder how many children in our country that are hungry or can’t afford good home school supplies due to the pandemic could’ve benefited from that much money?

What a joke imo
Here's an even worse joke

The middle class is getting crushed. They’ve taken on large amounts of debt to finance automobiles, college tuition, homes, travel, medical and other expenses. This is occurring while wages have been stagnating and the job market is getting tougher to find a suitable and appropriate-paying position commensurate with their background, skills and experience.
A separate Federal Reserve report indicates that the top 10% of households—by net worth—control 87.2% of the equities in this country, at the end of the first quarter. The top 1% have always controlled 70% to 80% of stock market value.

It looks like the real beneficiaries are the top 1%, 5% and 10%, as they benefited from an increase in the stock market and appreciation in the value of their homes. The uber-wealthy are skewing the numbers higher, making things look better than they really are. The .0001%, such as Amazon’s CEO and founder Jeff Bezos, have seen their net worth skyrocket during the pandemic.
To this point 1/10 of 1% of Americans control 2/3 of the wealth in the United States

American Household Wealth Is At The ‘Highest Level Ever’: Here’s What's Really Happening

All this while Trump supporters celebrate his only accomplishment, giving more money to the richest people in the US.

What if he just pardoned all white felons in Florida?  

Then there would be no outstanding fines or restitution to pay,

AAABatteries said:
What if Florida has a repeat of 2000?
With this new mail in ballot system, and being able to count votes for al long as it takes to get the results they want. We are looking at having 5 or 6 version's of Florida 2000 

Felon voting rights restored during 4 years of Charlie Crist: 155,000.

Voting rights restored by the clemency committee during 8 years of Rick Scott: just over 3,000.
Right....it's just funny to watch the "faux outrage" over donating to a charity in hopes that it will help people get their voting rights back.  The spin zone on this is strong.

Felons having to paying fines and restitution is a tax?  

Is this like the ACA tax that was really a fine, until it became a tax?
Anyone having to pay a fine that is duly owed is not a "tax".  Making the right to vote contingent upon payment of said fine turns it into a de facto "poll tax".

With this new mail in ballot system, and being able to count votes for al long as it takes to get the results they want. We are looking at having 5 or 6 version's of Florida 2000 
Perhaps this is for the FL politics thread, but can you explain what you mean here?  I thought vote by mail has been going on a long time in this state :mellow:  

Well Florida imposing a poll tax to prevent 5% of its population from voting following a referendum that passed overwhelming to grant them that right to vote probably has something to do with Florida being the chosen state. 
are you saying that their voting is the motivation to Bloomberg pouring money towards them ??

Perhaps this is for the FL politics thread, but can you explain what you mean here?  I thought vote by mail has been going on a long time in this state :mellow:  
Absentee voting, yes. You have to request a ballot, and it is signature matched and has a hard post mark deadline,

It sounds like the democrats just want to make ballots available to anyone. Like a lotto play slip in the local 7/11 

Absentee voting, yes. You have to request a ballot, and it is signature matched and has a hard post mark deadline,

It sounds like the democrats just want to make ballots available to anyone. Like a lotto play slip in the local 7/11 
I am unaware of changes that would make that a reality.  Everyone here still has to request a ballot if they want to vote by mail.  I am also unaware of a meaningful difference between "vote by mail" and "absentee voting" in this state.  It's all considered "vote by mail" and seems to have been that way for a pretty long time :mellow:  

I am unaware of changes that would make that a reality.  Everyone here still has to request a ballot if they want to vote by mail.  I am also unaware of a meaningful difference between "vote by mail" and "absentee voting" in this state.  It's all considered "vote by mail" and seems to have been that way for a pretty long time :mellow:  
I'm not exactly sure what Fla. has in mind. If they just keep the system as is. I'm okay with that. 

You are the one who attempted to create a hypothetical analogy to Trump. Don't blame E Street for successfully doing it.
pardoning isn't paying for votes

can we all just agree that buying votes is now ok ?  and if Trump does it nobody will mind ?

pardoning isn't paying for votes

can we all just agree that buying votes is now ok ?  and if Trump does it nobody will mind ?
say what now?  I encourage Trump to actually buy votes...then we can just throw him in jail with the others breaking the law and not worry about him screwing up things any more than he has.  So "no" it's not ok to buy votes...it's illegal, but "yes" i don't mind if Trump does it and helps expedite the process.  

say what now?  I encourage Trump to actually buy votes...then we can just throw him in jail with the others breaking the law and not worry about him screwing up things any more than he has.  So "no" it's not ok to buy votes...it's illegal, but "yes" i don't mind if Trump does it and helps expedite the process.  
well now wait a second

never has Bloomberg paid felons fines, he hasn't done it in any other state for any other felons at any time - and 6 weeks before an election he does it in Florida, where felons can now vote if their fines are paid and you're not calling that buying votes ?

you're intentionally being silly here - its clear what he's doing

So are you opposed to bail?

Are you opposed to the obstacles to voting the GOP is putting on former felons who have paid their debt to society?  Are you against funds that are set up to assist people with bail and such fines?

well now wait a second

never has Bloomberg paid felons fines, he hasn't done it in any other state for any other felons at any time - and 6 weeks before an election he does it in Florida, where felons can now vote if their fines are paid and you're not calling that buying votes ?

Is voting a contingency?  Is Bloomberg a candidate (unlike Trump)?

Also...seems he (along with other organizations) made a fundraising push for this...the articles in the OP do not state he is just paying fines...but rather raised money to efforts to pay fines for felons.

All seems quite legal.

So are you opposed to bail?

Are you opposed to the obstacles to voting the GOP is putting on former felons who have paid their debt to society?  Are you against funds that are set up to assist people with bail and such fines?
The issue in Florida is they did not pay their debt to society...someone else did...it appears to be perfectly legal so I guess I have to be ok with it but please don’t pretend Bloomberg would have paid 1 dollar towards this if if thought that these felons would vote for Trump...this was purely political.

The issue in Florida is they did not pay their debt to society...someone else did...it appears to be perfectly legal so I guess I have to be ok with it but please don’t pretend Bloomberg would have paid 1 dollar towards this if if thought that these felons would vote for Trump...this was purely political.
Does it matter who pays it?  In this case...a fund for restoration of people's rights.   Im not sure Bloomberg knows who is getting money...much less who they will vote for or if they will vote.  He raised money for a fund that does these things...I don't believe he wrote out a check for each individual person.

Neither is what Bloomberg is doing. But you already know that.
It's very plain to see what he's doing.  

Plus, fines and restitution are part of the sentence.  Now I'm not arguing that a wealthy friend or family member not be allowed to make those payments, or that a large law firm can not do Pro-Bono work.  But Someone may argue it's similar to paying a person to serve your jail time in your stead.   

well now wait a second

He's donated funds to a charity helping people get their fines paid so they can vote.  If you want to go with "buying votes" not only is it doing heavy lifting to be meaningful in any way as a phrase, you also have to acknowledge that some of them will be votes bought for Trump.  Clearly, you don't seem to have a problem with Trump buying them as you've offered it as a hypo so why do you have a problem with Bloomberg buying them for Trump?

Yes he would. Bloomberg cares more about the publicity and getting under Trump's skin.

There's a reason why Bloomberg is only paying for the fines of 32,000 people and not for the 300,000+ who owe money.

wow the self justifications for this blows my mind

in the future remember this - this is buying votes from one the of the loudest haters of Trump plain and simple. GOP needs to get on this ASAP and start not-buying as many votes as they can. legally of course

wow the self justifications for this blows my mind

in the future remember this - this is buying votes from one the of the loudest haters of Trump plain and simple. GOP needs to get on this ASAP and start not-buying as many votes as they can. legally of course
Oh, like passing another tax cut?

Users who are viewing this thread