What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you having close friends/family in your house without masks to hang out for extended periods ? (1 Viewer)

Are you having close friends in your house/apartment to hang out without masks for meals/extended pe

• Yes

Votes: 80 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 109 57.7%

• Total voters

Ned Ryerson

Footballguy
We are headed to the winter and are looking at isolating times.  I feel like the more people I talk to the more I am hearing, "Well, just my parents, and a couple of close friends are coming inside, but we're being safe."  I just wanted to take the temperature of the group out of curiosity.  We live in NY, so for people who have good weather all year, obviously this is less of a concern.

Answered yes to both, there are about 25 people total I allow into my house and/or go to their houses without masks. My county has recently hit about 1% of total population with confirmed covid. All the individuals take the virus seriously and at least 3 have quarantined in the past after close contact with a confirmed case (all 3 work related). My wife and I are the most likely to be exposed at work. I did skip one family event that was being hosted by a family member who had returned from travel 12 days prior.

It was 4th of July when we started getting together again.

Last edited by a moderator:
No to both. Recently had out of town guests and they were masked for the whole hour they were in my house. Had a couch delivered Saturday and both guys were masked. Not hanging out for an extended amount of time, but them respecting my space was greatly appreciated.  

Family yes

Friends no

Though I've been seeing friends in outdoor setting like golf course, restaurant patios etc.  My family's been pretty cautious so we've seen them a couple of times over the summer.  We've definitely cut back on the duration and size of the ''gatherings" but we aren't going to completely isolate ourselves as family is too important.

Family yes

Friends no

Though I've been seeing friends in outdoor setting like golf course, restaurant patios etc.  My family's been pretty cautious so we've seen them a couple of times over the summer.  We've definitely cut back on the duration and size of the ''gatherings" but we aren't going to completely isolate ourselves as family is too important.
I apologize for asking but "too important" to what?  To isolate? In other words, "I am willing to significantly increase the risk of spreading and contracting the virus because I will not sacrifice seeing my family for a lengthy period of time, despite that risk."

I'm not arguing with that position, I am just clarifying if that is what you mean, as we are taking the opposite view, but it is hard.

we just hang out with friends outside at least 8-10 feet apart.  if we are doing a meal we bring our items over and they have theirs.  

We see my wife’s siblings and both of our sets of parents. My wife is nearing breakdown levels of anxiety because she needs time away from the house (works from home and homeschools the youngest). So regardless of how cautious I would like is to be, we will never be able to totally lock down.

Not hanging indoors with friends nor family.   Have relaxed a lot of the food sharing concerns that were there in April & May. 

Colder weather will be tough no doubt, but will have to be smart about ventilation. 

I apologize for asking but "too important" to what?  To isolate? In other words, "I am willing to significantly increase the risk of spreading and contracting the virus because I will not sacrifice seeing my family for a lengthy period of time, despite that risk."

I'm not arguing with that position, I am just clarifying if that is what you mean, as we are taking the opposite view, but it is hard.
Yep that’s exactly what I mean.  For example my parents recently had their 50th wedding anniversary.  While we didn’t have a big party like we wanted we had a cookout with immediate family.  12 people total.  Similar thing for my sons high school graduation earlier this summer.

I go to my parents once a week for an extended visit.  Kids/wife come over from time to time as well.

Haven't had my parents here for awhile but they would/could.

Haven't really had friends over but the kids have their little buddies over all the time.  Their parents have come in for 15-20 minutes a few times.

In other words, "I am willing to significantly increase the risk of spreading and contracting the virus because I will not sacrifice seeing my family for a lengthy period of time, despite that
Btw these are your words not mine.  The people I’m seeing have been pretty careful like always masking up in public.  While I agree there is a risk increase as opposed to not seeing them at all I wouldn’t call it significant.  Not trying to pick a fight either just sharing our point of view.  Plus from a mental health aspect we feel it’s important to see each other once in a while.

Pipes said:
Btw these are your words not mine.  The people I’m seeing have been pretty careful like always masking up in public.  While I agree there is a risk increase as opposed to not seeing them at all I wouldn’t call it significant.  Not trying to pick a fight either just sharing our point of view.  Plus from a mental health aspect we feel it’s important to see each other once in a while.
I totally agree with your POV and also agree that we can all be increasing our potential risk without it being considered "significant".

Have had family over, neighborhood kids over pretty much daily

hosted a birthday party 

spent a weekend up north with friends

Im just not concerned about it.  I wear a mask where I am required to but if they lifted restrictions tomorrow I would throw my mask in the trash

on my way down to the hotel bar to sit around a bunch of strangers

Pipes said:
 Everybody makes calculated risks for the benefit of their sanity.

I answered yes to both, but if we have been inside with anyone but our parents for more than a few minutes it isn’t coming to mind. A lot of patios, kid sports, and golf. This has been our SOP since Memorial Day or so. 

No to both. We have only have outdoor get togethers and keep the 6 foot distancing.

My wife takes care of Senior Citizens.. Taking them grocery shopping, cleaning their houses, etc. 

Not sure I could live with myself if we had a gathering, caught the virus and gave it to one of them and they died... :mellow:

Answered yes/yes but we haven't really had many people over, mainly just the in-laws and close families/kids friends.  Wife and three kid have been in full-time in person school for over 6 weeks so if anything, would get it that route.  Georgia has reacted to the virus like Sweden....aka we are just going to live with it.  Personally, we are just not too worried about it...we do have a high-risk friend we maintain distance with and only hang out with outdoors.

Yes and yes.  Play cards with another couple at least once a week.  Had people over for opening Sunday of NFL.   My parents have come to visit a few times.  

My daughter is coming home from college two weeks from now for the first time since Christmas to stay for a weekend. She has driven down two times previously, but she has just hung out on the porch. 

We are taking a chance (I am like every high risk box you can check) but she quit her job at Sam’s and has been attending college remotely so we are feeling better about her risk of exposure. 

My other daughter has been meeting her friends in the park and one outside patio dining situation, but no one other than us has been in the house. 

I wish there was a better way, but I want to stay alive. 

No and No

the landlord’s handyman had to come inside today to fix our toilet. First person to cross the transom of our place since March 15.

totally fine with a small bubble, and hoping “normal” comes sooner than later. I miss family & friends. 

Yes/No

Only my father and my adult children with their spouses/SO have been in my house for any significant amount of time since the lockdown started. My wife is high risk, and I'm in a high risk occupation (I teach at a college. While very limited in size and class time, I still have in-person classes) so we have to be careful. A couple of weeks ago when my daughter first came home from college this fall, she actually wore a mask the entire time she was visiting with us because she had a recent exposure to "strangers".

We used to have lots of friends come by, and we went to 2 congregations meetings a week. Those are done through Zoom still, and Zoom is how we visit with friends now. That will continue until the risk of exposure is back down to the level of, say the flu, and there are better treatments before we go back to being around large groups of friends.

This past weekend was the first time we hung out with friends at a house since this started. We stayed outside. 

My wife had met a few friends for outdoor dining a bit ago when one of her best friends lost their mother to cancer. 

I went on a hiking trip with a friend. 

Have seen my younger sister once. Have not seen my brother or other sister. Mom is coming to visit for first time in two weeks. 

No/No

Live in NY, outside we've hung with family/friends numerous times, always keeping distance. Once the weather turns I'm not sure what's going to happen TBH. I know a decent number of people who have died from it and my uncle barely survived, so we're taking it seriously. Going to be a tough winter I think. 

No to both.  My 80 year old diabetic mother lives with me and it's my responsibility to take care of her.   I'll have family come to the backyard--but I space tables out 15 feet apart--they sit on one--mom and I on another---we do it in the middle of the day when the sun is out---30 minute maximum--nobody outside of mom and I are allowed in the house (not even to use the restroom).   I'll generally order two pizzas--and place one on each table and my invited family is told to take any leftovers home with them.  Paper plates so there is no washing of dishes or silverware involved.   This virus is one that takes advantage of when people let their guards down.  Just be smart and be careful.  

No and no. Siblings and parents on both sides are getting together without us. Friends are getting together like nothing is going on. We’re welcome, but are prioritizing health instead so we are the outcasts for now. 

Osaurus said:
Had a couch delivered Saturday and both guys were masked. Not hanging out for an extended amount of time, but them respecting my space was greatly appreciated.  
I had one delivered Monday.  The guys were both wearing masks.  I told them they could take them off as obviously they were having trouble breathing.  I offered them waters as well and they thanked me for both gestures.  The lead guy then says, "on our last delivery the home owner freaked out on me and said I 'cornered him' while bringing the furniture in, and exclaimed the delivery was supposed to be contact-less!  I guess he wanted us to leave it on his lawn?"  

Cracked me up. 

For people saying no, what do you need to see to get back to some semblance of normalcy? 
Answered no and no.

Would need to see cases drop significantly and people responsibly protecting each other.  Sadly, that just isn't the case.  Way too many people appear to be making exceptions to whatever rules they do have...which means this thing never gets under wraps.

We live in Wisconsin and 8 of the 20 cities with the fastest increase in COVID-19 cases in the United States are here.  Also, Wisconsin has the highest reproductive number (transmission rate) in the country right now.  This is when the weather is still very nice and people have the benefit of being outside a lot.  😒

For people saying no, what do you need to see to get back to some semblance of normalcy? 
I'm one of the no/no posters--and I'll elaborate my views on this--but I'm just speaking for myself.   I think that as more time passes--the better doctors and scientists get at learning how to treat this virus.   If you look at the mortality rate now versus what it was just a few months ago--it's been dropping. Everytime a doctor treats a patient for covid and succeeds (and even when they don't succeed and the result is a fatality--rest in peace to all who have passed)--they are learning more about the disease and are sharing their findings.    I don't need to see a vaccine to get back to a semblance of normalcy--as I think that there will be issues in those as well. However--once it becomes clear that doctors and scientists have a general handle on how to treat this disease and have developed ample experience treating it--I think at that time--I'll probably feel more comfortable going back to normal.  In brutal honesty---i just don't trust anything our government is saying about it---the same that I didn't trust what the Chinese were saying about it in the very beginning--but I do trust the doctors.  In my opinion--there is a high likelihood that most of us will get covid at some point in time--I think that's just an inevitable reality.  However--I think we all can play a part in influencing when we get it by practice good and safe behaviors and habits.  For me personally--I'd rather get it later than sooner--because with each passing day---I think more is getting learned about the virus and treatments are getting better. 

I had one delivered Monday.  The guys were both wearing masks.  I told them they could take them off as obviously they were having trouble breathing.  I offered them waters as well and they thanked me for both gestures.  The lead guy then says, "on our last delivery the home owner freaked out on me and said I 'cornered him' while bringing the furniture in, and exclaimed the delivery was supposed to be contact-less!  I guess he wanted us to leave it on his lawn?"  

Cracked me up. 
My buddy is in HVAC. He wears a mask whenever he goes into people's homes. A few weeks back, he went to a mutual friend's house for a service call. The whole family was there. He wore a mask, they didnt. They immediately said, "you dont have to wear that!"... "please take it off!". He politely refused and kept his mask on. The next day, their daughter tested positive for COVID. 

You never know.

Only my Mother in law is allowed in the house.  She lives 1 block away and is 76 years old retired and we limit her exposure.  No other family members with or without mask.  No friends allowed in at all.

Only other people allowed in are cleaning ladies (1/month, just started up again last month) and the nanny for the kids (daily, so my wife and I can work instead of leading the kids in their schoolwork during the day).

Not reading the thread, but no and no.  I can't risk getting it, with my blood pressure where it's been.  Plus, it's a built in excuse to be a hermit and avoid family.

Unfortunately, yes and yes.  If it were up to me, it would be no and no, but my wife, despite being apolitical, has followed the lead from her Fox News watching family and assumes there's nothing to worry about and we can't live in fear.  It has allowed me to skip out on some of her family events because I won't support being jammed up and maskless in her sickly parent's small house with 15 other people.  When she does invite her daughters over to visit I keep my distance.  

ETA - Does anyone else live in a divided house where you and your partner aren't on the same page with this?

I'm one of the no/no posters--and I'll elaborate my views on this--but I'm just speaking for myself.   I think that as more time passes--the better doctors and scientists get at learning how to treat this virus.   If you look at the mortality rate now versus what it was just a few months ago--it's been dropping. Everytime a doctor treats a patient for covid and succeeds (and even when they don't succeed and the result is a fatality--rest in peace to all who have passed)--they are learning more about the disease and are sharing their findings.    I don't need to see a vaccine to get back to a semblance of normalcy--as I think that there will be issues in those as well. However--once it becomes clear that doctors and scientists have a general handle on how to treat this disease and have developed ample experience treating it--I think at that time--I'll probably feel more comfortable going back to normal.  In brutal honesty---i just don't trust anything our government is saying about it---the same that I didn't trust what the Chinese were saying about it in the very beginning--but I do trust the doctors.  In my opinion--there is a high likelihood that most of us will get covid at some point in time--I think that's just an inevitable reality.  However--I think we all can play a part in influencing when we get it by practice good and safe behaviors and habits.  For me personally--I'd rather get it later than sooner--because with each passing day---I think more is getting learned about the virus and treatments are getting better. 
Is this dropping a function of elderly and at risk people being diligent where at the beginning a bunch of elderly and at risk were the biggest portion of those with the virus?  And now younger and people without risk factors are getting infected and not getting the more serious cases so the mortality rate is dropping? 

I am not sure of the real answer to this question but it is something that has a lot of meaning.  Anecdotally it seems that the majority of deaths are to elderly and high risk vs younger healthy individuals.   I have no idea what is real or not when it comes to the reporting. 

Is this dropping a function of elderly and at risk people being diligent where at the beginning a bunch of elderly and at risk were the biggest portion of those with the virus?  And now younger and people without risk factors are getting infected and not getting the more serious cases so the mortality rate is dropping? 

I am not sure of the real answer to this question but it is something that has a lot of meaning.  Anecdotally it seems that the majority of deaths are to elderly and high risk vs younger healthy individuals.   I have no idea what is real or not when it comes to the reporting. 
I think the mortality rate dropping is due to a lot of things.  Sure--protecting the elderly from it and being diligent about that has certainly contributed to the drop.  Secondly--I do know a lot of doctors and nurses (some that work in ER's, and I have a couple clients who are doctors that specialize in respiratory ailments) and they all tell me that as time passes--they seem to be learning more about how to treat the disease.   They are putting people on ventilators less and are finding combinations of existing drugs that seem to work better at treating it based on the circumstances that each patient has (clotting issues, low levels of oxygen, etc).  Also--I think the mortality rate is also dropping due less people having a large viral load.   There have been many studies that indicate that the higher the viral load of covid one is exposed to--the more severe their case tends to be.  While mask wearing is not a guarantee against getting covid--it certainly does play a part in reducing viral load---and therefore most likely plays a part in reducing the number of severe cases--which in turn reduces the mortality rate.    

KNX (a Los Angeles news radio station) had a discussion on covid a couple weeks back where one of the scientists said that masks could be the best answer to creating a safe herd immunity.  The premise was that by wearing masks--people will still get covid--but they are far more likely to get mild cases of it.  Mild cases still result in the creation of anti-bodies when they are overcome.   Thi would be a good way to create a herd immunity situation without suffering nearly the amount of casualties you would otherwise.    

Have had 2 friends over to cook out some wings...but we did eat inside and hang out around the table.

Son has had 3 friends over who have been pretty much only around each other and their families (we know these families well...and are taking those 2 kids to the beach with us in a couple weeks...renting a private home with a neighborhood family who is also extremely careful and their daughters take dance with my daughter).  Pretty much have kept between a few families mostly outside...but a few of them we allow inside.  Still keep careful and not all close together as much as possible...but no masks in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread