What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ceramic Coatings for automobiles (1 Viewer)

Marmalade

Footballguy
Has anyone had or applied a ceramic coating on their vehicle?   Recommendations?  Is this something for a DIY project or better left to professionals?

The car wash I went to yesterday was advertising Simoniz ceramic wax.  What kind of a sucker spends $20 at a drive through carwash?  I went with the $7.

I was thinking I could do this myself, and I probably could.  The important part is the preparation in detailing the car. I decided I am going to get a pro to do the work, because I know I would give it the "ol' good enough" half way through, and then seal in a poorly prepped paint job.  If you like, and are good at detailing your car, then DIY is fine.

Yours Truly,

Youtube Watcher 

The car wash I went to yesterday was advertising Simoniz ceramic wax.  What kind of a sucker spends $20 at a drive through carwash?  I went with the $7.
I drive on the beach frequently, so I need to spend however much the underbody wash costs, which at my local place is 15 dollars. I spray the underside of my vehicle pretty good before taking it to get washed, but salt water destroys everything. Better safe than sorry.

Had Gtechniq professionally applied with paint correction and full detail.  Can't remember exactly what Gtechniq product it was, but it was 10yr protection.  Ran about 1500$ and worth it.  Had entire car coated as well as front/rear windshields and a bunch of carbon fiber parts.  Car cleans up so easily and always looks nice.  Should keep the paint looking great for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had it done professionally on my most recent car. Pretty amazing. Water just runs right off it. Cleans up really well. It was a dark blue/black car though, and the ceramic still didn’t prevent swirls. 

I've gone the DIY route 3 times in the last year.  

I bought this CarPro CQuartz kit  on Amazon for $85 or so.  I liked it, it applied really easy.  I clayed the car down then washed it, then did the kit.  it was maybe a 4-5 hour process?  I liked the results.  Water ran right off and it had that wet look to it when clean.  I cant really speak to the lasting power of it.  Its supposed to last 18-24 month.  Unfortunately I totaled the car after 6 months.  

I almost bought the same kit for my new car, but I was being cheap at the time.   I saw some great reviews for this Chemical Guys product and figured I would give it a try.  I don't think it gives the deep wet look, but its also a white truck I put it on, did my wife's SUV too.   Water still beads up and runs right off it though.   Been on about 6 months now, will definitely need to be applied again sometime soon.   It will last a year tops. 

Thats an expensive project to have a pro do it.  Honestly, its not that hard to DIY.  I'd recommend trying it yourself first.  Its a satisfying job to do.   It cleans up really easy now.   I' do the "no rinse wash" now and its so easy to get it clean.  

I've gone the DIY route 3 times in the last year.  

I bought this CarPro CQuartz kit  on Amazon for $85 or so.  I liked it, it applied really easy.  I clayed the car down then washed it, then did the kit.  it was maybe a 4-5 hour process?  I liked the results.  Water ran right off and it had that wet look to it when clean.  I cant really speak to the lasting power of it.  Its supposed to last 18-24 month.  Unfortunately I totaled the car after 6 months.  

I almost bought the same kit for my new car, but I was being cheap at the time.   I saw some great reviews for this Chemical Guys product and figured I would give it a try.  I don't think it gives the deep wet look, but its also a white truck I put it on, did my wife's SUV too.   Water still beads up and runs right off it though.   Been on about 6 months now, will definitely need to be applied again sometime soon.   It will last a year tops. 

Thats an expensive project to have a pro do it.  Honestly, its not that hard to DIY.  I'd recommend trying it yourself first.  Its a satisfying job to do.   It cleans up really easy now.   I' do the "no rinse wash" now and its so easy to get it clean.  
I just had the Chemical Guys Hyperwax delivered this past Saturday.  Look forward to applying to my cars to get ready for the winter.  Good to hear it is still going six months later.

baymen said:
I just had the Chemical Guys Hyperwax delivered this past Saturday.  Look forward to applying to my cars to get ready for the winter.  Good to hear it is still going six months later.
I put 2 coats on, just because I had the time.    I got some of their Butter Wax too, but never did put it on.  Might do another coat of hyperwax then butter wax.  

Love a clean car.  

Users who are viewing this thread