What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recommended. The Death of Stalin (1 Viewer)

tommyboy

Footballguy
I saw it on Netflix a week ago. Holy hell what a great movie. For people of my age (53) it should make sense. For you youngsters that don't know much about Stalin, you might want to read up or watch some YouTube vids about him first to have some historical reference.

The movie is based on the actual history of what happened in the USSR immediately after Stalin died. The dialogue is fiction but also based on historical truths about the personalities of the main players.

This is a movie that is driven by great acting, situational dark comedy and fantastic writing. Highly recommend.

Wasn’t too hard to believe that it happened like they showed that’s for sure. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen it. Just remember one commentator noting -- about Stalin and the gulags and purges -- that the guns ran so physically hot during the purges that the Soviets would exchange them to use cooler ones.

New man, indeed. History's atrocity, the twentieth century. 

It's hilarious.  Saw it a couple of years ago.  The first few minutes I thought it was a history movie.  Then dark hilarity ensued.

Haven't seen it. Just remember one commentator noting -- about Stalin and the gulags and purges -- that the guns ran so physically hot during the purges that the Soviets would exchange them to use cooler ones.

New man, indeed. History's atrocity, the twentieth century. 
I was always the most taken back by not just the killing but the erasing from history. Photos would be edited to remove people who had been disappeared. Have you ever read The Master and Margarita? It’s definitely in your wheelhouse.

Thanks for the rec. I will have to check it out soon. It looks somewhat similar to Look Who’s Back, a German film where Hitler wakes up in modern day Berlin. 

This movie was fantastic – vaulted straight into my top 10. So given that, what other movie recommendations can you folks give me? 

Downfall

Dunkirk

Inglorious bastards

Fury

Zero dark thirty

Killing fields

Argo

All have some link to history/conflict 

I haven't seen 1917 but heard it was ok.

ETA: bridge of spies is excellent too

I haven't seen 1917 but heard it was ok.
thought it was excellent

not sure how it would hold up on a small screen, but in the movie theater it was very good. 

might lack a bit for some people who prefer Fast & Furious type movies, or any with constant, un-relenting action scenes, but it's very good.

thought it was excellent

not sure how it would hold up on a small screen, but in the movie theater it was very good. 

might lack a bit for some people who prefer Fast & Furious type movies, or any with constant, un-relenting action scenes, but it's very good.
Hmmm I thought it was all action and kind of lacked on the character and plot. Heck of an experience at the theater (what are those again?)

1917 looked like a first person shoot em up video game.  The plot was nonexistent.  Neat cinematography and that's all there is to it. 

Is this Stalin thing fake history like the horrendous Inglorious Basterds? 

1917 looked like a first person shoot em up video game.  The plot was nonexistent.  Neat cinematography and that's all there is to it. 

Is this Stalin thing fake history like the horrendous Inglorious Basterds? 
Sort of. It's based on real events but it emphasizes the comedic elements. It's the guy who made VEEP so that might give you an idea if you could like it. 

Hmmm I thought it was all action and kind of lacked on the character and plot. Heck of an experience at the theater (what are those again?)
yeah, guess it was all action, but not in a Hollywood Hype Williams as director movie type way.

the continuous flow and the fact that it was a war made it seem realistic to me, i guess?  as opposed to a car chase ending in 45 car crashes, 17 explosions, 3 leaps over open bridges, etc. type ####.

I watched it last night... it was good, I'm glad I watched it, but there's no way I'd rate it a 95 or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread