What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ATL DB tests positive for the 'Rona. Is anyone worried? (1 Viewer)

I thought they test players daily except on game day.

Pretty stringent, but tests fail sometimes.

Concerning for sure in terms of who else may be exposed on the team, and what they can -- or can't -- catch via testing others prior to gameday.

Hopefully this is nipped in the bud and not start of a wider spread.

He didn’t necessarily test positive - he could have just been exposed to someone ELSE who has tested positive.
The rules for placing a player on COVID IR is for either a player testing positive for COVID, or for being in close proximity to someone who tested positive.

But in this case, every news source is saying he tested positive, pointing to testing that came back overnight, so seems fairly definitive.

The rules for placing a player on COVID IR is for either a player testing positive for COVID, or for being in close proximity to someone who tested positive.

But in this case, every news source is saying he tested positive, pointing to testing that came back overnight, so seems fairly definitive.
Thx.  I only saw the early reports that said he was on COVID IR.

What is it about athletes getting COVID?  I don't know anyone that has gotten COVID.  Are they more careless than the normal Joe or Jane?
I am guessing you don't know nearly as many people as there are pro athletes in the country.  But yes they travel a lot and work in very close quarters with lots of other people. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What is it about athletes getting COVID?  I don't know anyone that has gotten COVID.  Are they more careless than the normal Joe or Jane?
I know 2 who’ve died from it. Both former coworkers, neither with preexisting conditions or co-morbidities, neither over the age of 55.

I have a good friend from HS who’s whole family just had it. He and his daughter were both nearly casualties.  They were as careful as anyone I know with wearing masks & hand washing. They got it anyway. 

A friend on the east coast had it. Triathlete. Now he can’t walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. Suspected permanent lung damage.

A friend’s wife is still in hospital, fortunately off the ventilator & recovering. She was touch and go for weeks. she’s not in the clear but improving. The experience may bankrupt them. 

all of these people in my immediate circle of friends who have or had it are “average Joes and Janes.”

This disease can impact anyone, at any time. All it takes is exposure. Asking if they were “careless” assigns blame to victims of a highly contagious virus. Victim blaming isn’t cool. Please don’t do that. 1000+ Americans a day are dying of this. They weren’t to blame for their deaths. 

You don't know you don't know anyone who has gotten it.  I've had three people I know have it where I didn't find out until much later.  Their medical records are not my business so unless they've been in close proximity to me they have no reason to let me know right away.

I know 2 who’ve died from it. Both former coworkers, neither with preexisting conditions or co-morbidities, neither over the age of 55.

I have a good friend from HS who’s whole family just had it. He and his daughter were both nearly casualties.  They were as careful as anyone I know with wearing masks & hand washing. They got it anyway. 

A friend on the east coast had it. Triathlete. Now he can’t walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. Suspected permanent lung damage.

A friend’s wife is still in hospital, fortunately off the ventilator & recovering. She was touch and go for weeks. she’s not in the clear but improving. The experience may bankrupt them. 

all of these people in my immediate circle of friends who have or had it are “average Joes and Janes.”

This disease can impact anyone, at any time. All it takes is exposure. Asking if they were “careless” assigns blame to victims of a highly contagious virus. Victim blaming isn’t cool. Please don’t do that. 1000+ Americans a day are dying of this. They weren’t to blame for their deaths. 
It was a simple question, not placing blame.  Perhaps I live a sheltered life, but I know many people, none of which have gotten COVID.  I was just asking whether athletes are more careless, not saying they are more careless.  

Asking if they were “careless” assigns blame to victims of a highly contagious virus.
I'll agree with this too.  Many people have no symptoms at all - my best friend's cousin is one I know of.  But positive she was and she (probably) exposed 4 other people before she realized it - and then only because her husband showed symptoms so she went and got tested.  She never missed a beat.

Somebody doesn't know very many people. 
Perhaps those I know aren't coming into contact with a lot of people or doing any air travel.  I will consider myself lucky so far.  Athletes do travel a lot and do come into contact with a lot of people.  I wonder if they are wearing their mask and taking all the precautions they could during those travels and meeting with other people.  Just asking, so don't jump.  I know baseball players were getting it left and right.

ETA:  I did have myself checked for the antibodies and it came back negative.  Also, any travel I do will be by car, not plane until further notice.

It was a simple question, not placing blame.  Perhaps I live a sheltered life, but I know many people, none of which have gotten COVID.  I was just asking whether athletes are more careless, not saying they are more careless.  
Carelessness has nothing to do with it. COVID is highly contagious. Most who have it don’t display symptoms. That’s why it’s such a difficult virus to contain. 

The term “careless“ is loaded. It has an inherent assertion of blame.  

While it is possible someone failed to wear a mask in a large group or wash their hands, or they went out and licked toilet seats, it is equally possible (or more likely) that someone walked by them & simply  breathed in close enough proximity to spread the virus through aerosol particles.

I sincerely hope that you continue to be untouched by COVID-19, and that no one in your immediate circle ever contracts this horrific disease.

Carelessness has nothing to do with it. COVID is highly contagious. Most who have it don’t display symptoms. That’s why it’s such a difficult virus to contain. 

The term “careless“ is loaded. It has an inherent assertion of blame.  

While it is possible someone failed to wear a mask in a large group or wash their hands, or they went out and licked toilet seats, it is equally possible (or more likely) that someone walked by them & simply  breathed in close enough proximity to spread the virus through aerosol particles.

I sincerely hope that you continue to be untouched by COVID-19, and that no one in your immediate circle ever contracts this horrific disease.
I disagree with your first sentence.  Carelessness can have everything to do with getting COVID.  Not saying it is full proof, what is, but to say carelessness has nothing to do with it is just wrong IMO.  For example, back in the spring when all the spring breakers partied it up and lots of them got COVID.

I disagree with your first sentence.  Carelessness can have everything to do with getting COVID.  Not saying it is full proof, what is, but to say carelessness has nothing to do with it is just wrong IMO.  For example, back in the spring when all the spring breakers partied it up and lots of them got COVID.
you should read past the first sentence. I acknowledged that it is possible that people are careless.

I believe where you live has a lot to do with getting COVID.  I live in a section of a state that has very low diagnosis of COVID.   In places with very high COVID cases it probably is easier to get it.  I know you can take all the precautions recommended and still get it.  All the more reasons to take extra precautions in those areas with high COVID cases.  I also believe if you can prevent air travel you should.  I know athletes cannot.  My granddaughter (she currently lives with us) is flying to Ohio to see her mother in October.  I advised against it and told her she has to quarantine for two weeks when she comes back.  She's stubborn and is going anyway.  For all I know she will infect all of us upon returning and I'll be the one who doesn't survive it.

...and you shouldn't say it has nothing to do with it in the first sentence then contradict that statement in a later sentence :)
Finish the following sentences with either “were careless” or “were a victim”:

1. “The train engineer fell asleep, the train derailed and killed 200. They______________.”

2. “A passenger on the train died. They ___________”

3. “A driver was texting while driving. They caused a 3-car accident. They __________”

4. “Someone caught COVID & died. They ____________”

It’s Sunday. Thankfully no one else on the team tested positive. I’m not gonna spend my morning arguing semantics. “Careless” is a poor choice of words, as it assigns blame. 

Let’s enjoy the football we have and hope the good times continue to roll. Again, consider yourself fortunate that this disease hasn’t come close to home for you. I envy that. 

Finish the following sentences with either “were careless” or “were a victim”:

1. “The train engineer fell asleep, the train derailed and killed 200. They______________.”

2. “A passenger on the train died. They ___________”

3. “A driver was texting while driving. They caused a 3-car accident. They __________”

4. “Someone caught COVID & died. They ____________”

It’s Sunday. Thankfully no one else on the team tested positive. I’m not gonna spend my morning arguing semantics. “Careless” is a poor choice of words, as it assigns blame. 

Let’s enjoy the football we have and hope the good times continue to roll. Again, consider yourself fortunate that this disease hasn’t come close to home for you. I envy that. 
You can step off you high horse anytime. 

I know lots who have had it.   None serious cases though.   No one i know has had to go to hospital for it

On a related subject....

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the NFL is investigating the Raiders for violating COVID-19 protocols.

The NFL is specifically looking at Las Vegas for allowing unauthorized locker room access. Schefter added that the incident involved a team employee entering the locker room without proper clearance following the Raiders' Monday night win over the Saints. The infraction sounds benign but any mistake could have serious ramifications if an outbreak occurs in a locker room. The NFL is rightfully taking even small violations seriously. They have already fined multiple coaches, including Gruden, for violations relating to wearing masks on the sidelines. Expect them to levy more fines after the investigation is concluded.

I’m not on a high horse at all. I just think it’s wrong to blame victims of a disease for getting the disease. 
I didn't blame them.  I simply asked if any are being careless.  Big difference.   I thought you wanted to move on from this, but apparently not.  I'll go back and forth with you all day if you wish.  ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the NFL is investigating the Raiders for violating COVID-19 protocols.

I know several who had it. No deaths but one hospitalization and one newborn baby that was really touch and go for a few days. Who knows what kind of longtime impact that will have on the kid. Also I think my friend, his brother and SIL all had it in February. They all missed like 3 weeks of work and we’re barely able to even get up use the bathroom.

I know several who had it. No deaths but one hospitalization and one newborn baby that was really touch and go for a few days. Who knows what kind of longtime impact that will have on the kid. Also I think my friend, his brother and SIL all had it in February. They all missed like 3 weeks of work and we’re barely able to even get up use the bathroom.
I hope all are alright now.  

Users who are viewing this thread