What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roof Cargo During Road Trip (1 Viewer)

LotsaPoppa

Footballguy
In the coming months I'll be driving across the country with cargo on a roof rack as well as inside the vehicle. The car will be jam packed. I plan to stay at chain hotels and park in their lot in front of the building. The roof cargo will be heavy and in a cargo bag that you can't see through. 

It will be a giant PIA to take that big heavy cargo bag off the roof each night and put it back on each morning. Do you think I could leave the bag secured to the vehicle each night or will it absolutely positively be gone by morning if I do? Is there a way to secure cargo on a roof rack with something like cable locks or a bigger cover that goes over the top and locks to the car in some way? I guess maybe it's worth it to just ship the stuff ahead of me rather than have to deal with it on the road.

Thx for any advice.

Shipping vs gas mileage may be a wash.

Guessing the car doesn’t have the capability to tow a small U-haul trailer either?

Shipping vs gas mileage may be a wash.

Guessing the car doesn’t have the capability to tow a small U-haul trailer either?
Correct. A trailer is a no-go. The point about gas is interesting - I wonder if there is a basic formula to consider. Something like for every xxx pounds of cargo you get ____ fewer mpg. I hadn't even considered the impact on gas.

Correct. A trailer is a no-go. The point about gas is interesting - I wonder if there is a basic formula to consider. Something like for every xxx pounds of cargo you get ____ fewer mpg. I hadn't even considered the impact on gas.
I found this Article from Men’s Health

Looks like in their test, a hard-shelled luggage carrier, which is gonna be more aerodynamic than a bag, decreased MPG by almost 20%.

I have no idea how “scientific” that test really was, but it was interesting that empty ski racks had such a big impact too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this Article from Men’s Health

Looks like in their test, a hard-shelled luggage carrier, which is gonna be more aerodynamic than a bag, decreased MPG by almost 20%.

I have no idea how “scientific” that test really was, but it was interesting that empty ski racks had such a big impact too.
So for a 2000 mile trip, assuming a base of 25 mpg and $2/gal gas, that’s $32?

no need to price shipping...

What will be on top of the car? Ie what’s the contents? 
Nothing of real value if anyone were to take it but valuable to me. Clothes, personal items, shoes, that sort of thing. But a thief wouldn't know that prior to tearing into the cargo bag or taking it.

Nothing of real value if anyone were to take it but valuable to me. Clothes, personal items, shoes, that sort of thing. But a thief wouldn't know that prior to tearing into the cargo bag or taking it.
Hotel parking lots are pretty safe.  They have cameras, some security, fellow patrons, and are located in non-residential areas.  Thieves have much easier targets in residential areas.

They have ones that lock to the rack if i'm not mistaken
I will research this. Seems like it would solve my problem.
How many nights are you talking about?  If you can't find one with a good lock, I would bring it in.  Grab one of those hotel luggage carts to make it easier.  If you are arriving late at night and leaving early in the morning, you can probably just leave the cart in your room.  Still a hassle getting it on and off the vehicle, but probably the safest.   

Can the cargo bag fit in your vehicle if you are not in the vehicle/driving?

It should be safe.........until it isn't.  There is no way to know if it will survive the whole trip until it does.  If you want to make sure that happens take it off each night.  If you don't then you risk it being tampered with.  It probably won't be but there is no way to guarantee it if you leave it exposed all night.

Boils down to is the hassle of taking it in each night worth it vs the loss if/when it gets broken into.

I have a hard shell Thule Aero that I use for long trips.  I've never taken it off the car.  My roof cross-bars lock, and the cargo box locks.  You can't get it off without significant effort and probably breaking it.  

I feel like the soft ones, while easier to store, are MUCH easier to steal, and worse on mileage as they're this amorphous blob on the roof.

if you're factoring in the cost of gas, also factor in the cost of buying the hard shell.  those 2 things together might equal shipping (and your piece of mind).

I have a hard shell Thule Aero that I use for long trips.  I've never taken it off the car.  My roof cross-bars lock, and the cargo box locks.  You can't get it off without significant effort and probably breaking it.  

I feel like the soft ones, while easier to store, are MUCH easier to steal, and worse on mileage as they're this amorphous blob on the roof.
We have the same set up on the family Subaru.  Thing works great.   Very secure, and doesn't wobble a bit.  I take it off after when were not on a trip, but its probably not necessary.   I think gas mileage takes a small hit, but its not noticeable.  I love being able to throw all the crap in it and hit the road.  You have to lock it to close it and you'd literally have to saw it open to steal anything.   Possibly the best $400 we've spent.    

WDIK2 said:
How many nights are you talking about?  If you can't find one with a good lock, I would bring it in.  Grab one of those hotel luggage carts to make it easier.  If you are arriving late at night and leaving early in the morning, you can probably just leave the cart in your room.  Still a hassle getting it on and off the vehicle, but probably the safest.   

Can the cargo bag fit in your vehicle if you are not in the vehicle/driving?
Likely 3 nights in hotel parking lots.

Your last question is awesome because it's so obvious yet it never occurred to me. Yes, it probably would fit in the vehicle at night so that could save some PIA factor.

wilked said:
Do you have a roof rack? 
Yes. With a Thule cargo carrier on it. The carrier doesn't lock down but I think it's possible to get locking parts for it. I did some research and they also make steel-belted locking cargo straps. But with a soft bag a thief could just cut into it and take things out despite the straps.

Might be time to invest in one. I've always wanted one but couldn't justify the spend. Now it probably makes sense thought it might still be easier just to ship everything.

The responses to this question are interesting because it seems much of the decision simply has to do with how much risk a person is willing to assume.

Might be time to invest in one. I've always wanted one but couldn't justify the spend. Now it probably makes sense thought it might still be easier just to ship everything.

The responses to this question are interesting because it seems much of the decision simply has to do with how much risk a person is willing to assume.
We couldn't make long trips without ours - between the wife overpacking, and 2 kids, etc.  A lot of folks have talked about gas mileage - my XC90 gets 22-24 mpg highway.  With the pod, I saw maybe a 2 mpg decrease.  It wasn't much.  Certainly not 20% or anything crazy.

Re. theft - My take is, if a thief wants something bad enough, they are going to get it.  Your job is to make it as unappetizing as you can.  Park by hotel guest room windows - doesn't have to be YOUR room.  Thief doesn't know which room is yours.  Park under a light.  Park by a camera.  Park next to a car with a soft pod.  Park somewhere that your car looks like a tougher target, or a tougher target than another car.  

Also, If you're moderately handy and have a garage with some height, you can make a hoist for ~$30 in materials.  I have my pod hanging from my garage ceiling.  When I need it, I just drop it down.  Super easy using off-the-shelf parts from Home Depot.

Also, If you're moderately handy and have a garage with some height, you can make a hoist for ~$30 in materials.  I have my pod hanging from my garage ceiling.  When I need it, I just drop it down.  Super easy using off-the-shelf parts from Home Depot.
This is so freaking smart. What a great idea.

Don Hutson said:
Hotel parking lots are pretty safe.  They have cameras, some security, fellow patrons, and are located in non-residential areas.  Thieves have much easier targets in residential areas.
:goodposting:  I travel often with a hardtop that doesnt lock. Never had any problems. I always try to park under a light. Of course, it all really depends on where you're staying. If its a bad area, all bets are off.

Is your bag waterproof?  What about rain/snow?
Yes, the bag is waterproof. At least it says that it is. Will be my first time using it. I did put it up on the roof and fill it with some empty suitcases and boxes to see how it would work. Seems pretty heavy duty.

Not sure of your towing options, but a 4' x 8' Cargo Trailer from U-Haul might work well...and you wouldnt have to jam pack the car either. 

I like the looks of this one but I'd love to see the one you purchased if it's cheaper. TIA.
I bought it in the 90's and the company I bought it from and the company that made it are both out of business.

It looks similar to this one but I pair $99 for it then. Personally I think they had it mismarked but it's served me well. You might be able to pick one up on eBay or Craigslist.

So many people go through life constantly stressed about getting their things stolen.  I wouldn't advocate doing something dumb like parking your car in the ghetto with your belongings on the roof.  That would invite theft.  But the chances of your things getting stolen in a 2.5 star hotel parking lot is less than 1 in 1,000.  And you said the things in it aren't worth much.  Relax.

Not sure of your towing options, but a 4' x 8' Cargo Trailer from U-Haul might work well...and you wouldnt have to jam pack the car either. 
Unfortunately this isn't an option. In addition to no hitch, I will be driving through the mountains and not sure I want a trailer for the white-knuckling.

Sell the soft-sided bag and get a Thule. You won’t regret it. You can’t get the key out unless it’s closed properly and tight. Foolproof.

Only open one side at a time. :bag:  

One rainstorm with the bag and you’re screwed. Plus, is it REALLY secure to the roof as items inside jostle around?

Sell the soft-sided bag and get a Thule. You won’t regret it. You can’t get the key out unless it’s closed properly and tight. Foolproof.

Only open one side at a time. :bag:  

One rainstorm with the bag and you’re screwed. Plus, is it REALLY secure to the roof as items inside jostle around?
This

and if you’re strapped for cash, buy it used, drive cross country, sell it for what you paid for it. Free ride...

Users who are viewing this thread