What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Music List Thread Top 10 (your personal faves). All will be listed on the OP with credit given. Pick any subject/genre/era we got you here. (1 Viewer)

AndrewClark

Footballguy
So I love music. This thread will be top 10 New Rap to Top 10 yacht rock thread. If @timschochet taught me anything, it taught me self indulgence is allowed here. I encourage all to participate. You might get top 10 Ice Cube top songs one day but top 10 George Harrison the next.

I pick a theme you post your top 10. I include them all in the op

This is the basic top 10 for the genre, not in general before you get angry

aka this is basically my song vomit

Yacht Rock

-Yacht Rock 2 by Ilov80s

-Yacht Rock 3 by @llov80s

-Yacht Rock by @Doug B

Yacht Rock Banger by Pip 

@Doug Bs list of yacht rock (trigger warning...better than all of our lists)

Power Ballads

@Brunell4MVP drops in w a better list than mine - this is fantastic

Sullie drops in with an awesome top 10

Andy Dufrene with an amazing list

@zamboni just kills this list w his as he oft does. amazing

Random 80s top 10

Last edited by a moderator:
What does “gatekeeping” mean in the title?

Ambrosia helps legitimize any soft rock list :thumbup:
Gatekeeping in modern context sort of means, saying someones taste in "x" means they arent qualified to chime in "y" topic. This is a thread for all opinions . In other words, I wanna keep this open to people who dismiss a list as something which disqualifies us from having opinions 

Gatekeeping in modern context sort of means, saying someones taste in "x" means they arent qualified to chime in "y" topic. This is a thread for all opinions . In other words, I wanna keep this open to people who dismiss a list as something which disqualifies us from having opinions 
I think I’m a little lost on the concept. :bag:

I think I’m a little lost on the concept. :bag:
e.g. if you said "Ambrosia is not a yacht rock band and I'm offended you put it on a yacht rock list because it doesnt belong here" = gatekeeping. "Hey man, I enjoy being on a yacht and enjoying Ambrosia" = not gatekeeping

Not an opinion, just commentary:

For whatever reason, early Chicago seems to get excluded from playlists that bill themselves as “yacht rock” (e.g. Sirius XM’s YR channel). Starting with “If You Leave Me Now” from Chicago X, though, their material will be included.

For whatever reason, early Chicago seems to get excluded from playlists that bill themselves as “yacht rock” (e.g. Sirius XM’s YR channel). Starting with “If You Leave Me Now” from Chicago X, though, their material will be included.
Which is ridiculous, if anything their early stuff should be on Classic Vinyl - their entire Chicago Transit Authority album needs a home as it's some of the best songs ever created. 

10 More Yacht Rock Tunes

(sorry, no links)

20. Kiss You All Over - Exile

19. The Things We Do for Love - 10cc

18. Heart of the Night - Poco

17. Love Will Find a Way - Pablo Cruise

16. Sentimental Lady - Bob Welch

15. Fool If You Think It’s Over - Chris Rea

14. Cool Night - Paul Davis

13. New Orleans Ladies - LeRoux

12. What a Fool Believes - Doobie Brothers

11. Miracles - Jefferson Starship

10 More Yacht Rock Tunes

(sorry, no links)

20. Kiss You All Over - Exile

19. The Things We Do for Love - 10cc

18. Heart of the Night - Poco

17. Love Will Find a Way - Pablo Cruise

16. Sentimental Lady - Bob Welch

15. Fool If You Think It’s Over - Chris Rea

14. Cool Night - Paul Davis

13. New Orleans Ladies - LeRoux

12. What a Fool Believes - Doobie Brothers

11. Miracles - Jefferson Starship
Doug would you enter any of these into my top 10? Id be ok with any of this - I'm listening now. 

It's kind of hard to pin down exactly what yacht rock is beyond "slickly produced stuff from the '70s (and very early '80s before MTV changed everything)." So there are always gonna be discrepancies like this.

Early Chicago to me is more jazz-rock than anything else. But there are certain songs from the early albums -- Lowdown, Saturday in the Park -- that could qualify. And the mid-period albums -- VI until Terry Kath's death -- all have stuff that very much is yacht rock alongside stuff that very much isn't. 

I also remember this LeRoux video, which got less play than Addicted: Nobody Said It Was Easy. Like the stuff on the final Ambrosia album, it seems to be an example of how yacht rock bands moved to recast themselves in the Journey mold after trends started changing in the early '80s. 

This rendition of I'm A Man is so good  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPZUgfOqAdg
The entire Tanglewood 1970 show is amazing -- the whole thing is on Youtube in one big file and it's a must-hear for anyone who likes Chicago. You can also tell what a big deal they were at the time. At the end, the crowd refuses to leave and the promoters bring Terry Kath back out to tell them they have to. 

Is there a cool story behind the Tanglewood concert by Chicago? I bought a vinyl record player recently and just went full Chicago w my records list but would love to hear any esoteria related to Tanglewood 

Today I learned Terry Kath of Chicago was Jimi Hendrix's favorite guitarist. 
Yes, that's the legend although I think the actual quote is that Jimi said that Terry was better than he was. Here is an interview with James Pankow of Chicago (https://youtu.be/x_A88tvQHqI?t=158)

I think it's been more well documented that Jimi also said Billy Gibbons is the best young guitarist in the country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJxiCZwP_GI

Hendrix also took a shine to Randy Wolf, who played with Jimi before Jimi hit it big, and gave him the nickname Randy California - which he carried with him when he co-founded the great Spirit.

So basically Jimi was surrounded by great young guitarists and knew when he saw talent.

AndrewClark said:
Is there a cool story behind the Tanglewood concert by Chicago? I bought a vinyl record player recently and just went full Chicago w my records list but would love to hear any esoteria related to Tanglewood 
Tanglewood is a remote ampitheater in western Massachusetts. It is best known as the summer home of the Boston Pops. Until 1970, it had never hosted anything related to popular music. That summer, Bill Graham, he of the Fillmores East and West, arranged for some rock acts to play there. He booked some of the very best acts of the time. I have seen the full sets on Youtube from Chicago, Santana, The Who and The Who's opener, Jethro Tull. There may be more. 

It is one of the few full concerts by early Chicago that survives to this day and is one of the best showcases for just how strong of a band they were in their early years. 

Ampitheaters like Tanglewood all across the country now host the summer tours of pop, rock, country, R&B, etc acts. That all happens because of what Bill Graham did in 1970. 

zamboni said:
Yes, that's the legend although I think the actual quote is that Jimi said that Terry was better than he was.
I watched a Terry Kath documentary (made by his daughter) recently and that is brought up. Hendrix came to one of their club shows and made the remark that night. 

I watched a Terry Kath documentary (made by his daughter) recently and that is brought up. Hendrix came to one of their club shows and made the remark that night. 
I saw that documentary as well not too long ago (definitely worth the watch for those that haven't seen).

I don't recall the exact quote from the documentary, or who said it, so maybe Jimi did say Terry was the best at the time. In any case, it's clear that Jimi had high respect for Terry, as virtually everyone did.

I don't recall the exact quote from the documentary, or who said it
It was definitely related to "better than me" as opposed to "the best." I think the anecdote came from one of the other band members, but I don't remember
It may have been Pankow, who was also in the above clip I posted. IIRC, Pankow was one of the guys who was interviewed extensively in the doc.

Also, I had no idea that Terry's widow is now married to Kiefer Sutherland. 
Yeah, was surprised when I saw that as well.

It may have been Pankow, who was also in the above clip I posted. IIRC, Pankow was one of the guys who was interviewed extensively in the doc.
That would have been my guess as well. 

She even talked to Peter Cetera, who doesn't talk about Chicago much these days. 

Yeah, another one of those bad band breakups. Hard for them to say I'm sorry indeed.
He wanted to do a Phil Collins/Genesis-style arrangement, alternating between the band and solo stuff, but the rest of the band and management said no, so he bailed. There was also resentment because he felt he had always been treated as the "junior partner". He was the last original member to join (they were initially a six-piece with Robert Lamm playing the bass parts on his organ) and had little say in the band's decision-making process until after Terry Kath died. 

It's amazing that the band has existed about twice as long without Cetera as it did with him. 

This is spot on commentary. I hope you guys will be here when I cover Tupac as well. Shoot I might even get on my piano and cover some of my favorite Bruce Hornsby songs. This is amazing 

I don't recall the exact quote from the documentary, or who said it, so maybe Jimi did say Terry was the best at the time. In any case, it's clear that Jimi had high respect for Terry, as virtually everyone did.
From bits and pieces of shop urban legends I've gathered from professional musicians in the area ... it's kind of a running joke that Hendrix has said everyone is "better than him." The more considered stance is that Hendrix was simply free with praise for guitarists because he loved the instrument and instantly had respect for those that put in the work and could express themselves well through guitar. Further, Hendrix was both easy-going and self-assured about his own abilities and never felt threatened (somehow) by other players.

zamboni said:
Yes, that's the legend although I think the actual quote is that Jimi said that Terry was better than he was. Here is an interview with James Pankow of Chicago (https://youtu.be/x_A88tvQHqI?t=158)

I think it's been more well documented that Jimi also said Billy Gibbons is the best young guitarist in the country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJxiCZwP_GI

Hendrix also took a shine to Randy Wolf, who played with Jimi before Jimi hit it big, and gave him the nickname Randy California - which he carried with him when he co-founded the great Spirit.

So basically Jimi was surrounded by great young guitarists and knew when he saw talent.
i have a friend who was among those who jammed w Jimi at after-hours joints in the Village. not to cast shade on any of the encomiums Hendrix pronounced upon other guitarists, but Jimi would leave these jams kinda angry & shaking his head & always saying so&so was better than him. translation: that player could do sumn he had yet to conceive himself. the next jam, Jimified versions of those elements would invariably be in his toolbox. my friend presumed he needed that process to keep his playing fresh. but if one had to have a favorite guitarist, the easy originality of Terry Kath would be a good place to start

Users who are viewing this thread