What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (3 Viewers)

The league is changing and adapting. Why should our FF leagues not do the same. This scenario of a game getting played or not played is unprecedented and things should be treated as such. 
That's all well and good, and if your league is ok with changing the rules week to week that's fine. This can't be looked at as something that came out of left field though. Anyone who paid attention to baseball knew the NFL was going to have issues. We discussed things before and at our draft, and decided we were just going to roll with it. Someone proposed that we do best ball, but it was voted down. What happens next week or in two weeks when there are three games that are up in the air? Five games? Where is the line drawn? Like I said, it's a can of worms that you won't be able to put the lid back on once opened. 

The league is changing and adapting. Why should our FF leagues not do the same. This scenario of a game getting played or not played is unprecedented and things should be treated as such. 
I made the decision last night in my leagues to allow listing a backup if you submit a Chief or Pat in your lineup. Only comes into play if the game gets cancelled. I did so when I noticed a bunch of teams in my 3 leagues still had such players in their lineups. They have to list the specific contingency to get the lineup protection.

One guy complained, though I don't know if he was serious. He plays me and neither of us have anyone in that game. 

I think I’ll add 1-2 roster spots after this weeks games conclude (we’ll vote on it - prefer buy-in over unilateral decisions.) But I think IR spots are a useless solution as usually those are reserved for players declared out. Curiously Covid-19 is a specific designation that doesn’t appear to make players eligible for IR on most sites. (I think...not certain.)

I think changing rules is fine if people understand the change and are on board with it. My league understood that if we permitted backup designating of starers we were basically changing the whole way we did lineups. Some teams would start ranking their whole bench each week to be covered in case covid popped up and those teams would have an advantage over the ones that didn't want to put in that work. So our league opted to accept the chaos and roll with the punches. 
As a commissioner, I added 2 IR spots for the first time ever and informed the league that additional spots or rules tweaking could be fluid for the season as this is like no other season before. Everyone agreed to roll with it ..... fast forward to this week. After consulting with a few league members and reading many opinions here and other places. I decided that a contingency lineup for the affected players would be best for this week and for other common scenarios going forward. Outside of one guy, who has no players affected this week, it's been well accepted and appreciated. 

my 2 cents

I made the decision last night in my leagues to allow listing a backup if you submit a Chief or Pat in your lineup. Only comes into play if the game gets cancelled. I did so when I noticed a bunch of teams in my 3 leagues still had such players in their lineups. They have to list the specific contingency to get the lineup protection.

One guy complained, though I don't know if he was serious. He plays me and neither of us have anyone in that game. 
I have that guy as well! 😂

Is anyone starting any Chiefs or Pats or is general consensus not to play anyone. 
I only have Kelce...Mo Cox’ game is at 425, I will try to read the tea leaves between now and then barring anything official...it may also depend upon how my matchup is going....

Don't like changing rules in season, but this is a fluid situation. May be situations where you have to adapt a little. We made the decisions in the offseason to add extra IR spots and/or add a taxi squad to handle covid poisitives. Having enough roster spots to cover you isn't a problem in my leagues. Not knowing if a game is being played for sure, or when it will be rescheduled if it doesn't is a unique problem. You can say we knew games might get cancelled, but did we know the NFL would be as wishy washy as they are in moving them? Guess we should have with Goodell. I still think they should have taken a 2 week pause on the season and pick up from there, try and get a better handle on this.

I think this guy will get louder when he is actually impacted but I hope this fix works out for you. Even just looking at this week, if my league had permitted backups for the Steelers-titans game then my top backup for Ju-Ju would have been Jeudy then Crowder. I also have Edelman starting but because their postponement didn't pop up until Saturday Jeudy and Crowder really couldn't be backups for him because their games were done. Now with the Saints midnight scare I think any covid solution will need to let people announce their backups before the potential cancel hits the news or it's just inviting a lot of future grevances into the league.

I think this guy will get louder when he is actually impacted but I hope this fix works out for you. Even just looking at this week, if my league had permitted backups for the Steelers-titans game then my top backup for Ju-Ju would have been Jeudy then Crowder. I also have Edelman starting but because their postponement didn't pop up until Saturday Jeudy and Crowder really couldn't be backups for him because their games were done. Now with the Saints midnight scare I think any covid solution will need to let people announce their backups before the potential cancel hits the news or it's just inviting a lot of future grevances into the league.
There is no perfect solution. Allowing other teams to get screwed by this game is no good either. Your case seems to be fairly rare, I would think, but still not unreasonable. 

What would be your solution?

There is no perfect solution. Allowing other teams to get screwed by this game is no good either. Your case seems to be fairly rare, I would think, but still not unreasonable. 

What would be your solution?
I think if you let people designate backups you have to let them do it for all games. Your league switches to a ranked lineup where every bench player is potentially in play each week if covid strikes. This would at least let your league include the Thursday bench players in their plan if covid strikes after they are played. But that's a big change and not everyone is going to want to do that work each week. The best solution was to do a best ball format this year but that's a huge change. Absent that I say roll with it. It's sort of like when games are in doubt due to a hurricane but happening more often. 

So our league decided against the designate a backup. We're going with play at your own risk. 🤷‍♂️
Same here.  Unclear if this will be a one-off or SOP for the NFL in 2020, so we didn't want to alter the basics of how we have handled our league's roster management policies

We did provide for a second round of waivers on Sunday for owners to address uncertainties

So our league decided against the designate a backup. We're going with play at your own risk. 🤷‍♂️
Just curious what your league would do in my son's money league situation. QB's are Mahomes and Roethlisberger. Has other players rostered that are either known to be out (PIT and TEN) or may be out (KC and NE). The only way he can get a QB is through waivers but would have to drop a very good fantasy asset. (In this league all dropped players are available to other teams based on waiver claim so he would lose whichever play he drops). Would your league basically say OH WELL and have him play without a QB or force him to dump a starter to get a potential stop gap QB because "rules are rules?"

Schefter just tweeted that all NE quick tests came back negative this morning. Still waiting on results from the Chiefs. Players will likely be tested tonight or tomorrow morning again (if not both).

Beginning to get more positive vibes about the game going ahead on Monday night. To the extent that I am now starting key Chiefs again in leagues where there is not a decent alternative.

Just curious what your league would do in my son's money league situation. QB's are Mahomes and Roethlisberger. Has other players rostered that are either known to be out (PIT and TEN) or may be out (KC and NE). The only way he can get a QB is through waivers but would have to drop a very good fantasy asset. (In this league all dropped players are available to other teams based on waiver claim so he would lose whichever play he drops). Would your league basically say OH WELL and have him play without a QB or force him to dump a starter to get a potential stop gap QB because "rules are rules?"
We are in this situation.  We are not changing a rule. Its unfortunate but right now its like having an injured player going into Monday night football that might start, its up to you if you want to risk starting him or not.  As for dropping players,  same deal,  you may have to drop someone you don't want to  drop.

The unknowing is the hardest  part but at the end of the day this may turn into a regular bye week for these teams so there is also that.

Yeah I've already put my Chiefs players back in the LU and have instructed my leaguemates to do the same, also posted that if the Chiefs all return negatives tonight, the game in on for Monday.

Pretty much. He wouldn't have to dump a starter though. A good player? Sure, but that happens during normal circumstances all the time. Maybe he can make a trade instead. 

Yeah I've already put my Chiefs players back in the LU and have instructed my leaguemates to do the same, also posted that if the Chiefs all return negatives tonight, the game in on for Monday.
It's not that simple. I have seen / heard / read that the Chiefs have to all test negative this morning and both teams will be tested tonight and tomorrow morning.

We are in this situation.  We are not changing a rule. Its unfortunate but right now its like having an injured player going into Monday night football that might start, its up to you if you want to risk starting him or not.  As for dropping players,  same deal,  you may have to drop someone you don't want to  drop.

The unknowing is the hardest  part but at the end of the day this may turn into a regular bye week for these teams so there is also that.
Except it's nothing like having an injured player. It's 2 entire teams that may or not play. 

Pretty much. He wouldn't have to dump a starter though. A good player? Sure, but that happens during normal circumstances all the time. Maybe he can make a trade instead. 
This does not happen all the time though and will continue to be messy going forward. 

I’m leaving Mullens and Ward in my lineup as very poor alternatives to Mahomes and Tyreek...that at least buys me till 8:15 or so tonight to hear more.

Except it's nothing like having an injured player. It's 2 entire teams that may or not play. 

This does not happen all the time though and will continue to be messy going forward. 
What? You've never had to drop a good player because your starter and backup weren't available? Yes, that does happen often. Especially in shallow leagues with short benches.

Not many bench spots and is a keeper league. He has a couple guys that are hurt and replaced guys from PIT / TEN already (and was going to play White from NE as well). It is what is is, but there are some situations which clearly have painted owners into a corner unexpectedly.

Is this the beginning of a rapidly growing, rolling snowball?  

I'll be honest. I thought I understood what the world was doing in terms of timelines and isolation and time before the virus manifests itself but it seems to me the NFL is making up their own rules to suit themselves because, at least the way I understand it, it would seem reasonable to me that if we found out a guy was possibly positive on a Saturday, like Cam, there is no way that game should be played this week because it could be Wednesday-next Friday before we know if anyone has symptoms that show up.  

Maybe I don't get it the way it works everywhere else.  Help me understand why this is ok ! Shouldn't there be a 3-7 day waiting period instead of immediately running tests on the team which, seemingly, return a lot of false negatives and even some false positives?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not many bench spots and is a keeper league. He has a couple guys that are hurt and replaced guys from PIT / TEN already (and was going to play White from NE as well). It is what is is, but there are some situations which clearly have painted owners into a corner unexpectedly.
It's unfortunate for sure, but any league that went into the season with short benches knew that roster crunches were inevitable. 

Yep, understandable we are in an unprecedented situation but we aren't willy nilly going to change rules either.  No matter what we do, its going to likely be fair  to some GMs and not fair to other GMs and as Commish, I want to stick to our rules as much as possible and not overmanage.

If this turns into a bye week situation when cancelled, than it becomes a wash.

Yep, understandable we are in an unprecedented situation but we aren't willy nilly going to change rules either.  No matter what we do, its going to likely be fair  to some GMs and not fair to other GMs and as Commish, I want to stick to our rules as much as possible and not overmanage.

If this turns into a bye week situation when cancelled, than it becomes a wash.
I completely respect that as a commissioner myself.

I just don't agree that this situation "it's just like (insert situation)".  It is absolutely not like any other situation, including hurricanes. That is the only reason we went contingencies going forward for any such games. Is it ideal? Probably not, but I also don't like option losing out on players due to positive test on Monday morning. 

There is no perfect solution. Allowing other teams to get screwed by this game is no good either.
What does the part in red mean?

a) Chiefs & Patriots FFB owners getting screwed by the real-life game's uncertainty, or

b) FFB opponents of teams with Chiefs & Patriots, getting screwed because their opponents get to declare provisional backups

Is anyone starting any Chiefs or Pats or is general consensus not to play anyone. 
Depends on the situation. Right now I have CEH on the bench with Montgomery in his spot. My opponent has Cook and Davis, and most of his starters play at noon. If he’s scored a lot then I’ll risk CEH cuz of upside. If he hasn’t I’ll take the safer points. 

Hoping more news breaks by 3.

I forgot to mention that they have been discussing the KC-NE situation all morning on Boston sports talk radio. They pointed out that of all the Patriots players, Cam is the one that is in the face of and high fiving players and coaches and is the focal point of the team. So the discussion was whether the shoe will drop soon and multiple NE players will start to test positive . . . or Cam testing positive should be considered a false positive. It would be tough for Newton to be an isolated positive case. I haven't seen anything on which type of test Cam failed and if they are etched in stone sure that he is definitely positive. The other issue for NE is that he was added to the COVID list and couldn't come off even if he now is declared false positive (ie couldn't play against the Chiefs). And based on the timing of the positive test, he will likely have to miss next week's came against the Broncos (he most likely won't have enough time to clear the NFL's protocols for reinstatement).  I also have not heard if Newton has showed any symptoms or if he is thought to be asymptomatic.

a) Chiefs & Patriots FFB owners getting screwed by the real-life game's uncertainty, or

b) FFB opponents of teams with Chiefs & Patriots, getting screwed because their opponents get to declare provisional backups
Owners losing out on key players due to highly unusual circumstances, like Covid-19.

Owners losing out on key players due to highly unusual circumstances, like Covid-19.
Gotcha. Totally agree. Going by the (a) and (b) groups in my post above ... I have a hundred times more sympathy for owners in group (a) than group (b). You're not supposed to win fantasy games because COVID implications are messing with the league's schedule.

Win a FFB game because an opponent has a lot of injured guys? Cool.

Win a FFB game because an opponent has four studs on bye? Cool.

Win a FFB game because COVID positive tests caused games to be rescheduled at the virtually last minute? Not cool. Just different somehow. Never said it was coldly logical.

I forgot to mention that they have been discussing the KC-NE situation all morning on Boston sports talk radio. They pointed out that of all the Patriots players, Cam is the one that is in the face of and high fiving players and coaches and is the focal point of the team. So the discussion was whether the shoe will drop soon and multiple NE players will start to test positive . . . or Cam testing positive should be considered a false positive. It would be tough for Newton to be an isolated positive case. I haven't seen anything on which type of test Cam failed and if they are etched in stone sure that he is definitely positive. The other issue for NE is that he was added to the COVID list and couldn't come off even if he now is declared false positive (ie couldn't play against the Chiefs). And based on the timing of the positive test, he will likely have to miss next week's came against the Broncos (he most likely won't have enough time to clear the NFL's protocols for reinstatement).  I also have not heard if Newton has showed any symptoms or if he is thought to be asymptomatic.
Good info. 

The "no symptoms" is a big clue (to me) on potential spreading. 

Seems like if he tested positive on Friday, others if it spread would test positive today or really Monday. So we won’t really know until tomorrow’s tests come back. 

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) Tweeted:
The #Chiefs latest round of point of care COVID-19 tests are clear, source said. With the #Patriots also clear, another indication the game is Monday night. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1312767098964373504?s=20
And on this news, I'm chancing it with Mahomes (over Foles) and Kelce (over Alie-Cox). In this money league, the commissioner has not allowed provisional line-ups or any kind of relief. If this game is scratched, I'm screwed ... but I'm going in with my eyes open.

Users who are viewing this thread