What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (4 Viewers)

Too late.  I don't think you should ask NFL teams to suddenly switch opponents halfway through the week.  If this were baseball, sure, but there's too much opponent-specific game-planning in football to make a switch this late.

More generally though, the league should have had a plan in place for handling these situations that doesn't rely on lucky breaks with scheduling.

Edit: Just to clarify, this isn't a "Bills homer" thing.  Buffalo could face off against Denver with 24 hour's notice and do just fine.  But imagine a case where flipping opponents resulted in a critical game being played with no serious preparation (like BAL-PIT for example).
That's fair, but Wednesday notice for a Sunday game - especially when both teams have the same notice - doesn't seem that outrageous to me.  Certainly not ideal but gives you at least 2-3 days to gameplan for an opponent.  You lose out on the advance scouting, obviously.  I agree that it would be a different matter if a decision were to be made on, say, Friday.

Too late.  I don't think you should ask NFL teams to suddenly switch opponents halfway through the week.  If this were baseball, sure, but there's too much opponent-specific game-planning in football to make a switch this late.

More generally though, the league should have had a plan in place for handling these situations that doesn't rely on lucky breaks with scheduling.

Edit: Just to clarify, this isn't a "Bills homer" thing.  Buffalo could face off against Denver with 24 hour's notice and do just fine.  But imagine a case where flipping opponents resulted in a critical game being played with no serious preparation (like BAL-PIT for example).
I think teams are going to be asked to make certain exceptions for this rare season

How are they getting sick if they are doing everything right? Protocols were put in place to not have this stuff happen.
I asked rhetorically earlier what do people consider "against protocol?" As a for instance, it has been discussed locally on radio and TV in Boston that Cam Newton has been taking a chartered plane and flying to Atlanta to see his children. I don't know if that meets the league's protocol rules, but is going to see you own kids something the league should even be trying to regulate?

Sticking with the Patriots, NE has been housing players (should they chose to) at the hotel next to their stadium. Practice squad player Bill Murray has been staying there and did not make the flight to KC (and obviously did not play in the game). Yet he has been placed on the COVID list. So him staying in a hotel with other players could have made things WORSE.

Should players be allowed to go shopping? Stop and get a soda at a convenience store? Go for a jog? Or is anything other than being locked up in a room unless playing or practicing considered a violation of protocol? If the answer to the last one is YES, then the league should have made bubbles and forced everyone to stay in a bubble.

That's fair, but Wednesday notice for a Sunday game - especially when both teams have the same notice - doesn't seem that outrageous to me.  Certainly not ideal but gives you at least 2-3 days to gameplan for an opponent.  You lose out on the advance scouting, obviously.  I agree that it would be a different matter if a decision were to be made on, say, Friday.
I don’t think you’re adequately taking into account the current logistics of trying to get a team and all their stuff to another city following the current protocols. It would not be an easy thing at all.

Tennessee state is at a positivity rate of 6% and infection rate of 1%. These numbers indicate that COVID continues to spread in a "slow but controlled fashion." Daily testing of players and staff is not enough to prevent these outbreaks, as we've seen. Household transmission is a major source of COVID spread, as we've seen with multiple studies and with KAC's family, even  though she was tested daily.  

I was impressed with the hotel bubble Seattle had when they visited Miami this past week. But they say too expensive or not feasible for an entire season. 

https://covidactnow.org/us/tn/?s=1109249

People get sick and they aren't living in a bubble.  No protocol minus complete isolation is 100% effective.  Forfeits should only happen if you can prove negligence and the only obvious instance we've seen of that is the Raiders charitable event last week.
The League is investigating the possibility that Titans players have been meeting together outside the facility over the past week according to Mark Maske from the Washington Post on Twitter.

I know no one is going to feel badly for the Patriots, but if their game against the Broncos is still played, NE will have had very little practice time this week and most likely will be forced to play with a backup QB again. They had very little notice last week after Cam tested positive last week and were not allowed to practice after that. And they are not practicing again this week (at least so far). Bottom line, no matter how you slice it, things won't be "fair" for several teams when things start to go off the rails.

I don’t think you’re adequately taking into account the current logistics of trying to get a team and all their stuff to another city following the current protocols. It would not be an easy thing at all.
This is a better point, though I would assume - perhaps wrongly - that the NFL should have protocols in place to ensure that appropriate hotel rooms, charter flights, etc., could be arranged in short-order.  I think the biggest problem would be that Denver is at New England, whereas the Bills are at Denver.  The equipment would be a logistical nightmare.  

Tennessee state is at a positivity rate of 6% and infection rate of 1%. These numbers indicate that COVID continues to spread in a "slow but controlled fashion." Daily testing of players and staff is not enough to prevent these outbreaks, as we've seen. Household transmission is a major source of COVID spread, as we've seen with multiple studies and with KAC's family, even  though she was tested daily.  

I was impressed with the hotel bubble Seattle had when they visited Miami this past week. But they say too expensive or not feasible for an entire season. 

https://covidactnow.org/us/tn/?s=1109249
Too expensive? For a $15+ Billion league? That always makes me laugh. Too expensive compared to shutting things down, or too expensive when comparing the cost of just pushing forward with the original dumb schedule that has worked so well for them so far and we are 1/4th through the schedule. 

I know no one is going to feel badly for the Patriots, but if their game against the Broncos is still played, NE will have had very little practice time this week and most likely will be forced to play with a backup QB again. They had very little notice last week after Cam tested positive last week and were not allowed to practice after that. And they are not practicing again this week (at least so far). Bottom line, no matter how you slice it, things won't be "fair" for several teams when things start to go off the rails.
You and other Pats fans have to stop saying this, owners typically don't care who the team is as long as their players score. This myth of Pats hate you and a few others keep insinuating is insulting to those who look at things critically regardless of the team. You're the ones carrying the VHS-Gate, Inflate-Gate and any other Pats-Gate mantra around here, most have moved on and are just interested in 2020, I assure you. And I'll also share that since the Brady and BB split up, most have taken a side and are rooting for one of them right now to show the other one up, AND AND AND Cam Newton had many people forgetting their Patriot Bias quickly, he's infectious, literally. 👍

Cheers!

What's so funny?  These players are together for games, practices etc.  So it's suddenly a huge issue if they are together outside a Titan's facility?  That makes no sense. 
I am laughing cause you don't know where they were hanging out at, how many others they were hanging with.., Yeah it's an issue. But your way of thinking is the reason this is still an issue 7 months later. 

Why do they allow players to shake hands and hug after the game? Seems like such a simple thing they can eliminate during this time
I don't think they are supposed to but they've been all over each other for 3 plus hours.  I don't think a quick huge, fist bump is causing the problems.

I am laughing cause you don't know where they were hanging out at, how many others they were hanging with.., Yeah it's an issue. But your way of thinking is the reason this is still an issue 7 months later. 
Read the tweet it said for a workout.  Yeah we don't know where but your assuming the worst I'm assuming the best.  We both could be wrong but I'm not the one advocating for forfeits before we have all the fact. 

That's not cool. You can't point an entire pandemic at one poster, Pipes is always a fair with others. Let it go and stick to football, there's a whole politics forum you can go have a MM session over there. 

Why do they allow players to shake hands and hug after the game? Seems like such a simple thing they can eliminate during this time
It's a good question, I wonder why they are congregating in the middle as well, I know they like to shake hands and also punch each other out after the game but maybe t=just this year they quietly go back to their locker rooms. 

Players getting together for outside workouts doesn't seem like a risky thing if it's just the players and not at a lets say Golds gym. 
After exposure it takes 3-7 days to test positive. That would mean if Titans properly social distanced their positive tests should have ended no later then Monday. That they just had positive tests after 7 days means at least one of these 3 things is at play:

A. Medical professionals are wrong, it might take longer then 7 days from exposure to test positive.

B. Titans players got infected from people not associated with the Titans

C. Titans players met up with one another during the last 7 days for workouts, film review or just hanging out.

I don't know the right answer, but I know if my life depended on getting it correctly I'd pick C.

Only if they are doing stupid #### like the Raiders did.  Just hanging out together if in a safe environment is like their own bubble situation.  If you're around someone multiple hours a day at the Titan's facility how is it any different than hanging out with the same people, and only the same people somewhere else....it's not.  Now if they were in a club or doing some other dumb stuff then yes I'd agree with you.  And as of now there is absolutely 0 proof of that even with Grove's post.  None. 

After exposure it takes 3-7 days to test positive. That would mean if Titans properly social distanced their positive tests should have ended no later then Monday. That they just had positive tests after 7 days means at least one of these 3 things is at play:

A. Medical professionals are wrong, it might take longer then 7 days from exposure to test positive.

C. Titans players met up with one another during the last 7 days for workouts, film review or just hanging out.

I don't know the right answer, but I know if my life depended on getting it correctly I'd pick C.
Could easily be B since they aren't living in a bubble.  This NFL "plan" was doomed from the get go with 100 plus players, coaches, and staff plus spouses and family.  There is bound to be positive tests, actually a bit surprised it hasn't been more.

You and other Pats fans have to stop saying this, owners typically don't care who the team is as long as their players score. This myth of Pats hate you and a few others keep insinuating is insulting to those who look at things critically regardless of the team. You're the ones carrying the VHS-Gate, Inflate-Gate and any other Pats-Gate mantra around here, most have moved on and are just interested in 2020, I assure you. And I'll also share that since the Brady and BB split up, most have taken a side and are rooting for one of them right now to show the other one up, AND AND AND Cam Newton had many people forgetting their Patriot Bias quickly, he's infectious, literally. 👍

Cheers!
For the record, I have not moved on and I will continue to hate New England until the day I die.  If there is an afterlife, I will keep hating them in the great beyond.

How are they getting sick if they are doing everything right? Protocols were put in place to not have this stuff happen.
Unless their protocol is quarantine for two weeks like science suggests then they aren’t doing everything right. But that would impede with making billions off football. 

Just getting an update...so 2 more Titans and 1 DT from Vegas today? Do I have that right?

More Patriots? 

Trying to just get the facts straight, info seems to be flying in from all angles right now...almost feels like there is extra media digging around and trying to find things. 

Way I see it this was worst day for COVID impact on the season yet, and it's still early.

NE positive test, especially if Chiefs get an outbreak, makes me worry  how NFL will revise how they handle when a team has a single isolated case.

Titans positive tests puts with their bye week used up is putting us in real danger of a team missing a game and if they miss so do the Bills. The alternative to a flat missed game is week 18 games and that's going to be a fantasy league nightmare.

I think we got 6 teams in some element of danger of not playing this week. Chiefs, Raiders, Titans, Bills, Patriots and Denver.

Not trying to overreact, but this is very bad series of events.

Players getting together for outside workouts doesn't seem like a risky thing if it's just the players and not at a lets say Golds gym. 
I think the issue is more that it's the Titans-players-in-the-middle-of-an-outbreak went out more so than getting together for outside workouts. I believe the team was basically sent home and expected to isolate . . . and obviously getting together is not staying isolated.

My open ended question over the last couple of weeks is that the NFL's COVID policies and testing protocols don't seem to fully align with the CDC's recommendations, so the fact that there are now flare ups should not be all that surprising.

For an example, the league rules lists what needs to happen for players that test positive. As far as I can tell, there are no provisions or requirements for players that have been exposed to people that have tested positive. The CDC wants people in that situation to isolate for 10-14 days. The NFL allows teams the option to place players who may have been exposed on the COVID list, but it is not mandated, nor is there anything in place that forces places that were exposed to isolate (unless they tested positive). The league has tried doing some contact tracing, but I am not sure that they are doing a good enough job of that to conclude which players are at risk or not.

Similarly, the league has been making "go" or "no go" decisions on games and practices not fully taking into account the lag time for players to test positive and therefore have been risking further spread by letting players continue to play when they could be at their most contagious. People usually test positive and/or show symptoms in 3-7 days (could be a little sooner or a little longer). Testing players on Monday and getting all negative test results DOES NOT mean that no one in the games played the day before were was positive. All it shows is that at some point LAST WEEK those players were negative. There is no hard and fast medical opinion on things, but many places suggest that people are most contagious the day before they test positive.

Bottom line, people are suggesting that teams forfeit games when the leagues protocols seem to be misaligned with the medical community seems on the harsh side, IMO.

Way I see it this was worst day for COVID impact on the season yet, and it's still early.

NE positive test, especially if Chiefs get an outbreak, makes me worry  how NFL will revise how they handle when a team has a single isolated case.

Titans positive tests puts with their bye week used up is putting us in real danger of a team missing a game and if they miss so do the Bills. The alternative to a flat missed game is week 18 games and that's going to be a fantasy league nightmare.

I think we got 6 teams in some element of danger of not playing this week. Chiefs, Raiders, Titans, Bills, Patriots and Denver.

Not trying to overreact, but this is very bad series of events.
There are several other problems with week 18 make-ups beyond the fantasy implications (which should not be a factor IMO):

1) There's only one week 18.  Let's say we make up Titans-Bills in week 18.  What happens when there is an outbreak in Buffalo and the Bills late-season game against New England, say, needs to be rescheduled?  

2) The Bills and Titans both figure to be playoff contenders.  The "week 18" plan calls for some teams to play that week while other playoff teams potentially enjoy a bye week.  That's not the end of the world, but I think the team that doesn't have an outbreak in their facility is right to feel a little aggrieved in this scenario. 

Yes. It has to be impressed upon players, "Just because you're playing the game doesn't mean everything on this field carries on like normal."

Just relaying PFT with Florio and Simms

-Advocating that all remaining players on all 32 teams start planning to take over a Hotel for the next 3-4 months, must isolate away from everyone. 

-All players and coaches have another round of declaring whether they Opt In or Out, that's fair to all involved. 

Basically that a bubble needs to be started immediately and if they need to push the season back a week or two, start doing it but stop playing games with the players lives. 

32 Little Bubbles in all 32 cities

Last edited by a moderator:
Just getting an update...so 2 more Titans and 1 DT from Vegas today? Do I have that right?

More Patriots? 

Trying to just get the facts straight, info seems to be flying in from all angles right now...almost feels like there is extra media digging around and trying to find things. 
For starters, I am aware the league will function and make determinations regardless of the team(s) involved. I was suggesting that football fans will have no sympathy for anything that does not go the Patriots way. I am not making this up . . . go to other sites that allow comments, people are dancing a jig that this is impacting NE.

As for your question, NE added a practice squad player to the COVID list and Stephon Gilmore tested positive and now can't play. The Patriots canceled practice today and are awaiting further instructions on how to proceed and move forward.

1 DT from Vegas today
This is the only one I'm not sure about. Diana Russini posted this morning that a Raider tested positive,  Hurst got put on COVID list last night. So I'm not sure if she was reporting day old news like it was an update or it's someone other then Hurst.

For starters, I am aware the league will function and make determinations regardless of the team(s) involved. I was suggesting that football fans will have no sympathy for anything that does not go the Patriots way. I am not making this up . . . go to other sites that allow comments, people are dancing a jig that this is impacting NE.

As for your question, NE added a practice squad player to the COIVD list and Stephon Gilmore tested positive and now can't play. The Patriots canceled practice today and are awaiting further instructions on how to proceed and move forward.
That's fine but that's other boards, no one is doing a jig in here except @IvanKaramazov 😆

Let's Jump to Conclusions already shall we?...

-Titans are not likely to play again this week, however I believe the NFL will march on and if they need to push the Playoffs back a week or two then they will do it but if the game doesn't really make a difference at the end of the season then it might not be played...let's look at an example. 

Buffalo 11-4

New England 10-6

Tennessee 12-3

Indianapolis 11-5

If that is the division records at the end of "Week 17" then maybe the NFL can get away with it or maybe they start making a double bye into the schedule and push the playoffs back 2-3 weeks and adjust for maybe a 15th or 16th game being played the 2nd or 3rd week into January and the Super Bowl is played in 1st week of March perhaps. 

There are several other problems with week 18 make-ups beyond the fantasy implications (which should not be a factor IMO):

1) There's only one week 18.  Let's say we make up Titans-Bills in week 18.  What happens when there is an outbreak in Buffalo and the Bills late-season game against New England, say, needs to be rescheduled?  

2) The Bills and Titans both figure to be playoff contenders.  The "week 18" plan calls for some teams to play that week while other playoff teams potentially enjoy a bye week.  That's not the end of the world, but I think the team that doesn't have an outbreak in their facility is right to feel a little aggrieved in this scenario. 
All players and teams were alerted by the league before the season that there will be tough decisions handed down and considerations for competitive balance would essentially take a back seat to their decision making. The league's players had to agree to forgo guaranteed contracts and are only getting paid for games that are actually played. Any port in a storm. All's fair in love and war. Insert other war related terms here . . . winning the battle but losing the war, etc. While the NFLPA might have had the ability to fight things in the past, I don't believe they will have much influence this season.

This is an atypical year. The league has options, but there probably aren't any that will work for everyone. They can extend the regular season as need be. They can push the playoffs out. They can play the SB later if they had to. It's a lot easier to coordinate that with no fans (or limited attendance). They can also cancel games. Everyone seems to think that all teams have to play 16 games. That is not a rule . . . that's just what the schedule has on it. For many years in the early part of the NFL, teams DID NOT play the same number of games. Some played 5. Some played 12. And all other numbers in the middle. The standings and playoff seeds are determined by winning percentage . . . NOT total wins. In 1972, the league started counting ties as half a win and half a loss. So if they didn't want to disrupt the playoff schedule, then they could just elect to cancel games and not make them up.

Apparently, there has also been talk of cutting the schedule down to 12 games to try to figure out out to get through the current COVID situation. I don't know how much traction that is getting, but I know it's been discussed. And they can also try to shoehorn make up games in the middle of the season or move games around if they had to. Again, if that inconveniences some teams, that's how the ball bounces.

A bigger potential problem is what happens if there is a COVID outbreak DURING the playoffs? Let's play things out a little bit. Say KC gets the top seed and earns a bye (remember, only one team in each conference gets a bye these days). And let's say the league takes two weeks to play out the regular season games. Let's also say NE is the 7th seed and has another flareup right before their game against 2nd seed BUF. Now what? Do they take another two weeks off to get that game played? Do they play all the other first round games? Do they force KC to sit for over a month to play again? Do they make NE forfeit? Maybe they adapt a neutral site the bubble model by then. There could be A LOT of craziness come playoff time,

It certainly is risky if one or more of them have Covid at the time. And with so many players being positive the right action was to assume that everyone did and quarantine from each other. It was the whole reason they were prevented from being at the facility. It defeated the entire purpose of the quarantine.

It can take up to 14 days to test positive after an exposure. Average incubation periods are 2-7 days which leads a lot of medical personnel  to say that a 5 day incubation period is probably pretty close to being the average mean.  However, you can be incubating the disease and testing negative for up to 14 days after exposure. Thus, if titans players have been getting together to work out after they were almost certainly exposed to the virus—  a week or 9 days after the exposure- there absolutely is a chance that they are spreading the virus amongst each other

They really need to forfeit games going forward. 
The counter is when they decided to not forfeit the season, what did you expect during a pandemic?

NFL has said all summer that it would revert to win percentage so that's what I expect. 

If they didn't follow protocol then they can forfeit, be fined, lose picks but otherwise ya can't fault someone for being sick during a pandemic

It certainly is risky if one or more of them have Covid at the time. And with so many players being positive the right action was to assume that everyone did and quarantine from each other. It was the whole reason they were prevented from being at the facility. It defeated the entire purpose of the quarantine.
Yeah you're right.  I was thinking in more general terms as not being risky since they are playing together, practicing etc but yeah if this was after the positive tests and when they were supposed to be in isolation then yes that's bad. 

Cheers!
I still hate the Patriots.  Of course I am a Bills fan so I think I am allowed.

I asked rhetorically earlier what do people consider "against protocol?" As a for instance, it has been discussed locally on radio and TV in Boston that Cam Newton has been taking a chartered plane and flying to Atlanta to see his children. I don't know if that meets the league's protocol rules, but is going to see you own kids something the league should even be trying to regulate?

Sticking with the Patriots, NE has been housing players (should they chose to) at the hotel next to their stadium. Practice squad player Bill Murray has been staying there and did not make the flight to KC (and obviously did not play in the game). Yet he has been placed on the COVID list. So him staying in a hotel with other players could have made things WORSE.

Should players be allowed to go shopping? Stop and get a soda at a convenience store? Go for a jog? Or is anything other than being locked up in a room unless playing or practicing considered a violation of protocol? If the answer to the last one is YES, then the league should have made bubbles and forced everyone to stay in a bubble.
Ya this is what I wonder too.  Everyone is quick to say "what are these idiots doing" or "they better smarten up before they ruin the league".  What exactly do we know they are doing wrong?  The Titans all practiced together which we knew would happen.  Maybe one of their players slept with his wife who got it at the grocery store.  Or maybe someone's kid went to school and got it and hugged their dad who has been otherwise extremely careful to not get it.  How can/should the nfl stop that from happening??

I don't think they are supposed to but they've been all over each other for 3 plus hours.  I don't think a quick huge, fist bump is causing the problems.
It’s been more than a fist bump.  I’ve seen hugs and close conversations. 

Tackling, shoving, holding, wrestling for a loose ball all ok.  

But that handshake, though.

There has been no information reported that these additional TEN players are sick.    COVID-19 positive test does not equate to sick.    Reports on Cam Newton that have gotten out or leaked out are that he is asymptomatic with no symptoms, therefore not sick. 

Some NFL players may get sick at some point, but NFL players are younger, healthier and likely have much better immune systems vs the U.S. population as a whole

My open ended question over the last couple of weeks is that the NFL's COVID policies and testing protocols don't seem to fully align with the CDC's recommendations, so the fact that there are now flare ups should not be all that surprising.
If the NFL followed the CDC recommendations 100%, there would be no season. 

CDC guidelines say:

- Stay home and quarantine if known to have been in close contact with a COVID-19 positive individual  (not happening in NFL)

- Modify layouts to promote social distance of at least 6 feet between people – especially for persons who do not live together  (this would be an odd looking football field)

- Close communal spaces  (NFL has not closed locker rooms, etc)

- Limit sharing of objects  (haven't seen footballs being disposed of after every play)

- Pursue virtual events  (NFL not doing this, although Nascar gave it an interesting go early on in the Pandemic)

Users who are viewing this thread