What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

That's been my observation for many, many years. As HSG has said a couple times in this thread, I don't understand why making a change to mitigate a problem is so hard for some people to get on board with. Selfishness, I guess.
I don’t think generalizations are fair in this instance. Every league is different. If your league wants to implement something a quarter of the way through the season, more power to you. Our league has a hard rule about not changing anything after the season starts. With this in mind, we had a pretty lengthy discussion before the season, knowing there was a chance (certainty) that this season was going to be messy. We came up with a few rules for if the season doesn’t finish as far as awarding prize money or refunds goes. We added Covid IR spots. We added a few rounds to the draft for bench spots. We all agreed that we would deal with cancellations and postponements as they happen. We all realize that fantasy football is a lot of luck, and is gambling. Good luck whatever your league decides. 

Going Browns D over the Bills with the recent news. Man, drafting AJ Brown over Taylor in my keep 4 league because I wanted to win this year looks terrible.

I’ve got Latavius in for MNF and I’ll decide before kickoff that night whether to bench him for Henry on Tuesday, if it’s looking good
how will you determine if it's looking good?

just curious because i have a similar type of situation, but am still at a total loss for how and when to know that it's looking good enough to start BUF/TEN players.

What we knew coming into the season was players with COVID would be out 2-3 weeks on the COVID list. We also knew games could be cancelled with multiple outbreaks. What we didn’t know is they’d start cancelling games for individual cases.
A thousand times this.

I had thought that a single NFL team might be able to sustain even 10-15 cases and still field a team for a game the next day (similar to how ATL CB A.J. Terrell's case was handled going into Week 4 for the Falcons-Bears game). Figured they'd isolate the positive players and carry on with the rest + expanded practice squad.

I had to sit AJ Brown in a smash spot because I have no sub rule in my league. Funny thing... the opponent I'm playing this week stacked GB players on Byes this week so if one of his guys had a postponement he couldn't even use the rule (he has no playable bench). Guess how he voted on the sub replacement rule... :whistle:

People can be so short-shortsightedly selfish...
Just wait til Green bay has a game in doubt with their bye already

A thousand times this.

I had thought that a single NFL team might be able to sustain even 10-15 cases and still field a team for a game the next day (similar to how ATL CB A.J. Terrell's case was handled going into Week 4 for the Falcons-Bears game). Figured they'd isolate the positive players and carry on with the rest + expanded practice squad.
The problem there (and this is what we didn't know) is that you need 2 days of negatives so that situation can happen. If they keep testing positive you never reach that situation and the postponements begin.

Duke Johnson or Devin Singletary 

Thoughts?
Vote All of The Above.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the latest on the Chiefs game.  Any chance they will get canceled/postponed based on the one positive test?

At this point I’m sitting all Titans and Bills players banking on the game not happening.  Going to have a talk with the commishes about contingency plans/nominating replacements early if these Tuesday games keep getting scheduled

I can easily replace Smith at TE with Schultz.

The problem is at flex: I have Henry. Do I risk starting him, or go with Chark (need to make that decision soon) or Jefferson (at least I'd have until tonight). I'll probably go with Chark.
Generally speaking I think if you have a good option you start him and don’t look back. If the guys that are options seem weak, roll the dice on your Bills or Titans. I think you’re making a good play here.

At this point I’m sitting all Titans and Bills players banking on the game not happening.  Going to have a talk with the commishes about contingency plans/nominating replacements early if these Tuesday games keep getting scheduled
Good. Get that info to the league and hopefully you have a commish or co-commish with the foresight/time to discuss that and make that change.

Generally speaking I think if you have a good option you start him and don’t look back. If the guys that are options seem weak, roll the dice on your Bills or Titans. I think you’re making a good play here.
Exactly. In one league I have Josh Allen and Big Ben - easy option to start Big Ben. In another one, I have Josh Allen and Ryan Fitzpatrick, and I'm leaning towards keeping Allen in there.

Y’all still taking the risk on Buf/Ten players this week or moving on?
What I told our folks:

Ok. Here's what I'm doing with TEN and BUF players.

Tom Pelissero reports: "Contact tracing is underway to determine if the #Titans' latest COVID-19 case -- a coach, who wasn't in the building for nearly 2 weeks -- is related to its outbreak ... and whether Tuesday's game against the #Bills can move forward."

Here's the deal. The Buffalo at Tennessee game is still scheduled for Tuesday night. Clearly, the league very much wants this to happen this week if it can be done safely.

The fact the new positive test today came from a coach who hasn't been in the building in two weeks is significant. Contact tracing will be important to know who this coach has been around.

The bottom line question if you're making decisions on TEN or BUF players is simply: Will the game happen this week? We don't get to shrug that off and say "who knows?"

My guess, and it's truly a guess, is it's about a 65-70% chance they play. As I understand it, two things can cancel the game:

1. If another TEN player or coach or staffer tested positive today or tomorrow.
2. The contact tracing results for the coach in question today that tested positive yields results the league deems too dangerous to continue.

That means we're in the same position as we were last week with Kansas City and New England players. You have to look at your roster and accept all your Tennessee and Buffalo players have, in my opinion, about a 30-35% chance they don't play.

For me personally, I'm making a decision between Stefon Diggs and Michael Gallup. If both play, I much prefer Diggs. But I'm simply not certain Diggs will play and I'm going to start Gallup.

This is different for every team so you have to weigh it against your roster. For me, I'm saying there's a 65-70% chance the game happens this week.

Remember to stay tuned to our Sunday Update Page for the latest. (Side Note - Julio Jones is out today)

Again, I know this is frustrating. Keep your head up and roll with the punches as best you can. This is nobody's preference we have this happening. Please be nice to your Commissioner. I bet they're doing their best. Rock on.

J

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the NFL is "optimistic" that the Titans' Week 5 game against Buffalo will be played. 

The Titans had another positive COVID-19 test Sunday morning, but it came from a staff member that hadn't been at the facility the last two weeks. That's a good sign for the chances of this passing through contact tracing protocols. Tennessee will still need to no more positive tests before Tuesday for the game to be played.

Oct 11, 2020, 12:26 PM ET

I've been expecting this since April/May and I don't understand why everyone didn't. 
Because it looked like teams could still play with multiple COVID cases on their roster and isolated, as NCAA teams are apparently doing (e.g. Va. Tech yesterday).

Isn't the standard advice/knowledge that you dont draft too many players from any particular team relevant here?   Granted, the idea behind that probably didn't forsee an end of days pandemic where football still mattered to anyone, but im guessing most who did apply that advice, will be less affected this season.

What I told our folks:

Ok. Here's what I'm doing with TEN and BUF players.

Tom Pelissero reports: "Contact tracing is underway to determine if the #Titans' latest COVID-19 case -- a coach, who wasn't in the building for nearly 2 weeks -- is related to its outbreak ... and whether Tuesday's game against the #Bills can move forward."

Here's the deal. The Buffalo at Tennessee game is still scheduled for Tuesday night. Clearly, the league very much wants this to happen this week if it can be done safely.

The fact the new positive test today came from a coach who hasn't been in the building in two weeks is significant. Contact tracing will be important to know who this coach has been around.

The bottom line question if you're making decisions on TEN or BUF players is simply: Will the game happen this week? We don't get to shrug that off and say "who knows?"

My guess, and it's truly a guess, is it's about a 65-70% chance they play. As I understand it, two things can cancel the game:

1. If another TEN player or coach or staffer tested positive today or tomorrow.
2. The contact tracing results for the coach in question today that tested positive yields results the league deems too dangerous to continue.

That means we're in the same position as we were last week with Kansas City and New England players. You have to look at your roster and accept all your Tennessee and Buffalo players have, in my opinion, about a 30-35% chance they don't play.

For me personally, I'm making a decision between Stefon Diggs and Michael Gallup. If both play, I much prefer Diggs. But I'm simply not certain Diggs will play and I'm going to start Gallup.

This is different for every team so you have to weigh it against your roster. For me, I'm saying there's a 65-70% chance the game happens this week.

Remember to stay tuned to our Sunday Update Page for the latest. (Side Note - Julio Jones is out today)

Again, I know this is frustrating. Keep your head up and roll with the punches as best you can. This is nobody's preference we have this happening. Please be nice to your Commissioner. I bet they're doing their best. Rock on.

J
This is exactly the kind of analysis I was hoping for. 

Thanks. 

I’m enjoying dailies more and more every week.  I would think DraftKings is going crazy, in a good way, right now.

Yeah, this is only about risk of the game being canceled. I think it is +EV to play Singletary if the game is 50/50 to go. Less likely than that, I think I need to take whatever I can get. 
Yeah, and even accounting for Moss likely playing (even more so with more days to rest) and a vulture QB, I still think he’s a  better play than Duke. Caveat that BOB is gone so they may actually get more creative with the playcalling & get Duke more involved. 

I'm playing Renfrow instead of Brown. Not a great option, but worried his knee and the possibility of COVID. I'll wait until he shows that he's more than a decoy.

how will you determine if it's looking good?

just curious because i have a similar type of situation, but am still at a total loss for how and when to know that it's looking good enough to start BUF/TEN players.
Great question.

I'm just going with Henry and Tannehill, my other options are Kyle Allen and Carlos Hyde. 

But if you have good options, I'd probably go with it.

Testing was never meant to be a replacement for distancing, mask use, contact tracing and quarantining. But from the Titans actions and Tannehill’s latest statement it sure seems that they thought that testing DID replace those things and now everyone is paying the price for that.
This is something else fantasy players couldn't account for back in August. I thought teams would largely be practicing while wearing face coverings, and spend almost all time in their team's facilities masked up.

Thanks for the insight.  

BTW-if it's true that the positive test from this morning hasn't been in the building, do you think the Tuesday game will happen?
I think there's this extra almost irrational caution and I don't know if it's I love my team based or these are million dollar earners based or what.

We've heard from the cdc for years (prevalent the last 7 months) that two weeks is the window and this is how we all live our day to day.

For some reason the concern is greater than expected here. It doesn't mesh with your coworker out two weeks or some local store closed two weeks.

It's been ingrained that we're safe at two weeks but this guy not present for two weeks and getting I'll off site has really caused a stir.

The NFL rule is anyone gets it close the facility and test everyone. If owner Amy gets it at her posh home in Houston, the same things happen.

Idk here. I think logically play the game but this is a PR move too and that might be to cancel and breed safety first thinking 

Earlier today @Bracie Smathers was accusing me of pushing for a NE forfeit so the Broncos get an easy win.  Let me talk on that for a minute about what I (selfishly) want here:

Between COVID and the injuries, this is a lost season for the Broncos.  They have something like 38% of the salary cap on IR (as of last week), and that doesn't count the starting QB on a rookie contract.  It's been brutal.  There's a lot of potential on the offensive side of the ball but they need reps. 2020 was going to be an uphill battle into the playoffs with Von and Sutton. 

Moving forward, all I want is to see growth from Lock, Jeudy, Hamler, Fant, and see the OL come together.  Beyond that, pragmatically a better draft pic wouldn't hurt.  A forfeit from NE does nothing to advance.  In fact, moving the bye to this week is a good thing: one more week for Lock & Lindsay to get well and gives one additional game for Lock & Jeudy together, especially on the road against a Belichick defense.  On short, it's actually a good time for a bye week.

24 positive tests in one organization isn’t bad luck or testing issues, it’s a failure to establish and follow good protocols.

Testing was never meant to be a replacement for distancing, mask use, contact tracing and quarantining. But from the Titans actions and Tannehill’s latest statement it sure seems that they thought that testing DID replace those things and now everyone is paying the price for that.
That's one common point of view. I call bunk on this but to each their own.

How do you behave knowing your family doesn't have covid? Mask in home? Other precautions?

So they're wrong for feeling some comfort from no positive tests and feeling safe in a controlled environment? That's the same as we all do at our homes.

Our homes don't have a cleaning crew 24/7 and zoom options and catered meals six feet apart and testing everyday but....go ahead and blame them for thinking as they did as if you wouldn't do the same

That's one common point of view. I call bunk on this but to each their own.

How do you behave knowing your family doesn't have covid? Mask in home? Other precautions?

So they're wrong for feeling some comfort from no positive tests and feeling safe in a controlled environment? That's the same as we all do at our homes.

Our homes don't have a cleaning crew 24/7 and zoom options and catered meals six feet apart and testing everyday but....go ahead and blame them for thinking as they did as if you wouldn't do the same
I can't speak for everyone but my home doesn't have 100+ players, coaches, & staff coming in and out every day.  

I don't consider any place with over a hundred people coming and going to be 'safe'.

Users who are viewing this thread