What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (3 Viewers)

49ers placed LB Joe Walker on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

The 49ers have also sent reserve OL Hroniss Grasu to the list. With the Niners on bye this week, hopefully both will be back for Week 12. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1329794293523943424

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

#Browns pass-rusher Myles Garrett is being placed on the COVID-19 reserve list. The #Browns erred on the side of cautiion and Myles Garrett stayed home feeling sick. Now, he’s on the COVID-19 reserve list and out for Sunday. But thankfully has stayed away this week.
Browns placed DE Myles Garrett on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Garrett has been away from the team this week while feeling sick. It's unclear if Garrett has tested positive for the virus, but the Browns are erring on the side of caution, and Garrett is now out for Week 11 against the Eagles
Waitaminute I'm confused. If he returns two days of negatives couldn't he still play? Saturday and Sunday Morning... OHHHHHH he stayed home.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1329802337594920961

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Giants, who are on a bye and not in the facility, had three players test positive for COVID-19, source said.
Giants placed WR Dante Pettis on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

OT Matt Peart and TE Kaden Smith join Pettis on the list after the three tested positive this week, joining K Graham Gano from earlier in the week. The Giants are on their bye. If truly positive, it puts Pettis, Smith, and Peart in danger of missing Week 12.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports the Raiders had no new positive COVID-19 cases on Saturday.

This puts them on track for Sunday night's game with the Chiefs. The Raiders should get back most of their starting defense after placing eight players on the COVID list.  Clelin Ferrell is the only Raiders player that's been ruled out for Week 11.

- Las Vegas Review-Journal

Late Night COVID OH YEAHHHHHH

Chargers placed LB Kyzir White on the COVID-19 list.

Players being added this late in the week is always a concern, but there are no reports of the Chargers having a breakout. They remain on track to play against the Jets on Sunday.

Raiders placed RB Theo Riddick to the COVID-19 list.

The Raiders have been placing players on the COVID-19 list more than just about every team in the league. Riddick will need multiple days of negative testing to be activated. Devontae Booker has filled in as Josh Jacobs' passing-game sidekick.

Ravens shutting down facilities due to several positive Covid cases.  I don't see how they can play on Thursday night, I'm guessing it gets moved to Sunday or maybe  Monday night

Ravens shutting down facilities due to several positive Covid cases.  I don't see how they can play on Thursday night, I'm guessing it gets moved to Sunday or maybe  Monday night
Damn.  That sucks, especially since it's the only game worth a damn this year on Thanksgiving. 

And what makes it worse as I'm watching ESPN is that one of those players is Mark Ingram Jr., which means the Ravens will start Gus Edwards at RB.

That hasn't been their style.

I'm sure they would have played the KC/LV game even if LV's entire line was out.

Seems like come hell or highwater these games get played.

J.K. Dobbins is also out.  And I don't think the Ravens have a legitimate backup to Gus Edwards.  He's going to have handle the bulk of the running duties on Thursday night.

I'm sure they would have played the KC/LV game even if LV's entire line was out.

Maybe but not having the team's facilities open all week and having to play on a short week is pretty damn tough.  Also does that even give adequate time to allow players that were in close contact enough time to be cleared to play on a Thursday night?   

Just move it to Sunday or Monday to give the Ravens a legitimate chance (and this is coming from a Steelers fan).

Normally I'd say yes. However with the game being Thursday and there are 2 other Thursday games, I can see them moving it to Sunday. 

Bears placed S Eddie Jackson on the reserve/COVID list.

Jackson was deemed to be in close contact with someone away from the team and Halas Hall. Jackson has zero interceptions on the season but has collected one fumble recovery for a touchdown along with 46 solo tackles. It's still possible Jackson is cleared ahead of Sunday night against the Packers.

Dolphins placed LT Jesse Davis on the reserve/COVID list.

Davis has started 51 consecutive games for the Dolphins over the last four seasons including all 10 this year. Although the league's protocol makes it possible for Davis to turn around in time for kick-off Sunday, he reportedly is not expected to play. Note that Miamia has allowed just 14 sacks through the team's first 10 games.

Bills placed TE Tommy Sweeney on injured reserve with myocarditis. 

Inflammation of the heart muscle, myocarditis is a complication of COVID-19. The risk of myocarditis was one reason college football was extremely slow to move forward with its 2020 season. There have been cases across other sports, including Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez. A 2019 seventh-rounder, blocker Sweeney made six rookie appearances. He had yet to play this season because of a foot injury then the coronavirus. Hopefully the 25-year-old is able to make a full recovery ahead of 2021. 

- Marcel Louis-Jacques

Are you accusing people of deliberately concealing results? 
I think the NFL's assertion that "no one has ever played with COVID-19" and "you can't transmit COVID-19 on the football field" hilarious considering the virus's incubation period and ease of transmission. That gap is big enough to drive a mack truck through, and that's why you are seeing more outbreaks on Monday morning directly after games. It's not "deliberate concealment" as much as keeping said flaw out of the public eye  as much as possible.

I think the NFL's assertion that "no one has ever played with COVID-19" and "you can't transmit COVID-19 on the football field" hilarious considering the virus's incubation period and ease of transmission. That gap is big enough to drive a mack truck through, and that's why you are seeing more outbreaks on Monday morning directly after games. It's not "deliberate concealment" as much as keeping said flaw out of the public eye  as much as possible.
I don't understand. You quoted https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1330987330912591872?s=20 and replied NFL be like..

Did you mean to quote something else that had the quotes you mentioned above?

Are you accusing people of deliberately concealing results? 
I'm not sure what his intentions were--but if I were a betting man--I would absolutely bet that some teams concealed results to let their players play before putting them on the covid list.  The baltimore situation with Ingram /Dobbins in regards to timing seems very sketchy at best.  Would you be willing to bet that 100% of teams are being 100% honest and transparent about covid results on gameday? Honest question--not trying to be debatable.  

I'm not sure what his intentions were--but if I were a betting man--I would absolutely bet that some teams concealed results to let their players play before putting them on the covid list.  The baltimore situation with Ingram /Dobbins in regards to timing seems very sketchy at best.  Would you be willing to bet that 100% of teams are being 100% honest and transparent about covid results on gameday? Honest question--not trying to be debatable.  
That's getting too "conspiracy theory" to me. Most likely players are playing while infected but it won't test positive because the virus is still incubating, and while incubating it still can be transmitted to others.

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1331276630732517379

Jeff Zrebiec @jeffzrebiec

The Ravens learned this morning of more positive COVID-19 tests, per sources.
lovely.

? I quoted @knowledge dropper's post. It's literally directly above the link dunno how you missed it.
:confused:    He said, "Hard to believe Dobbins and Ingram were not positive on game day."

Are you saying the NFL knew they were positive on game day and knowingly concealed the results?

Can you please share the links for NFL's quoting "no one has ever played with COVID-19" and "you can't transmit COVID-19 on the football field"? Thanks. 

I suppose anything is possible but I'd be extremely surprised if a team knowingly concealed results so a player could play while positive.

It would be such a terrible look for the league which to this point seems to have done an exceptional job in handling this. 

"Next man up" is just how teams think. I think fans put way more value on players than teams do. 

So it's a balance of risk vs reward.

The risk is huge. The reward of having an Ingram/Dobbins for week 12 is not nearly as big.

Now if the reward part of the balance were to dramatically raise, like say Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl, that gets a little more of a realistic discussion in my opinion. 

But bottom line is I'd be extremely surprised if teams were knowingly concealing test results. 

I suppose anything is possible but I'd be extremely surprised if a team knowingly concealed results so a player could play while positive.

It would be such a terrible look for the league which to this point seems to have done an exceptional job in handling this. 

"Next man up" is just how teams think. I think fans put way more value on players than teams do. 

So it's a balance of risk vs reward.

The risk is huge. The reward of having an Ingram/Dobbins for week 12 is not nearly as big.

Now if the reward part of the balance were to dramatically raise, like say Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl, that gets a little more of a realistic discussion in my opinion. 

But bottom line is I'd be extremely surprised if teams were knowingly concealing test results. 
I generally agree with your points but I think you might be downplaying how big the team's consider the risk. I would not be surprised if their are teams/coaches that view the risk as minimal. The fact that we haven't seen a game canceled in several weeks kinda shows that teams have just decided the risk is worth taking and everyone will solider on. 

Put me down as saying I believe the NFL when they say they have seen no evidence of transmission on the field and I also do not believe any team or the league is concealing positive COVID results. We are living in an era of unprecedented conspiracy theories, sometimes you don't have to try so hard to see the truth.

:confused:    He said, "Hard to believe Dobbins and Ingram were not positive on game day."

Are you saying the NFL knew they were positive on game day and knowingly concealed the results?

Can you please share the links for NFL's quoting "no one has ever played with COVID-19" and "you can't transmit COVID-19 on the football field"? Thanks. 
??? I'm saying the NFL would like that kind of thought kept quiet, I am not saying the NFL knew about it. I just stated earlier this isn't some conspiracy theory here.

Found the Yahoo article that really goes into the actual nature of the flaw. Just found another detailing some of the instances of the NFL's more stringent COVID-19 Gameday policies failing a few Sundays ago. This is an older article detailing Dr. Fauci discussing how it could spread playing football, which I thought was a good read.

EDIT: I've posted links to some of that earlier in the thread in October, trying to track down the other statements now.

There are at least 10 positive COVID-19 tests within the Ravens organization. 

The hits keep on coming for the Ravens, who are scheduled to play the Steelers Thursday night. The total includes coaches and support staff, according to The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec. The teams said Monday it would contact trace is mitigate the spread of the virus. Baltimore will be down two running backs -- J.K. Dobbins and Mark Ingram -- for Week 12 after they were placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

SOURCE: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 

Nov 24, 2020, 12:51 PM ET

Joe Bryant said:
That's because there are 32 head coaches who know in their bones that the head coach is the only guy that is irreplaceable on a team.

The Frankman said:
??? I'm saying the NFL would like that kind of thought kept quiet, I am not saying the NFL knew about it. I just stated earlier this isn't some conspiracy theory here.

Found the Yahoo article that really goes into the actual nature of the flaw. Just found another detailing some of the instances of the NFL's more stringent COVID-19 Gameday policies failing a few Sundays ago. This is an older article detailing Dr. Fauci discussing how it could spread playing football, which I thought was a good read.

EDIT: I've posted links to some of that earlier in the thread in October, trying to track down the other statements now.
Thanks. I've seen those. 

I'm looking for the quotes you said where the NFL is asserting "no one has ever played with COVID-19" and "you can't transmit COVID-19 on the football field". Can you share those links please?

I hadn't seen those quotes and I'd like to know the context of the full article and who exactly said it.  

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Thursday evening's game between the Ravens and Steelers will be at risk of postponement if the Ravens return more COVID-19 positives. 

Schefter reports five players and four staff members have turned up positive this week. It appears that is all the NFL is willing to stomach. The league is already really pushing it, but postponing a prime time Thanksgiving affair is obviously something it wants to avoid at all costs. For now, fantasy managers just need to sit tight and adjust to life without J.K. Dobbins and Mark Ingram. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Nov 24, 2020, 1:40 PM ET

Wise Old Owl said:
I generally agree with your points but I think you might be downplaying how big the team's consider the risk. I would not be surprised if their are teams/coaches that view the risk as minimal. The fact that we haven't seen a game canceled in several weeks kinda shows that teams have just decided the risk is worth taking and everyone will solider on. 
Sorry I wasn't clear. When I said "risk" I meant the risk of having the behavior of deliberately concealing results exposed. Not the risk of the virus. 

For whether a team would intentionally conceal a positive result, I think they weigh out the "risk" of being caught against the "reward" of having the player.

In my opinion, the negatives of being caught are huge. And far outweigh the positives of having a couple of RBs in Week 12.

Ravens placed DE Pernell McPhee on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

For now, pass rusher McPhee is the fourth Ravens player on the list, though 1-2 more are expected to be added in the next 48 hours. It is unclear why the Ravens have not already done so. The Ravens have five player positives right now, including J.K. Dobbins, Mark Ingram and Brandon Williams. Thursday's game against the Steelers is on a knife's edge. McPhee has played 346 snaps this season, contributing two sacks and decent overall play. 
Browns placed DE Joe Jackson on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

He joins Myles Garrett, Chris Hubbard and Andy Janovich on the Browns' COVID list. In theory, it creates depth issues, though Jackson has not played a defensive snap since Week 4. 
Cardinals placed S Deionte Thompson on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

It is not known at this time if Thompson tested positive or has been in contact with someone who has. This is the Cardinals' fourth player to land on the list this season. Unfortunately, the team is getting thin at safety, with Chris Banjo likely starting opposite Budda Baker against the Patriots in Week 12 if Thompson is not cleared in time.
Jaguars placed K Chase McLaughlin on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

It is unclear if McLaughlin himself is positive or a close contact of someone who was. The Jags are having COVID issues, sending their entire defensive staff home on Tuesday. If McLaughlin is COVID positive, he is ineligible to kick this weekend. The Jags have to be getting close to setting the single-season kicker record. Whoever handles kicking duties against the Browns will not be worth streaming in fantasy. 

The Frankman said:
That's getting too "conspiracy theory" to me. Most likely players are playing while infected but it won't test positive because the virus is still incubating, and while incubating it still can be transmitted to others.

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1331276630732517379

lovely.
I don't think its "conspiracy" theory.  I'm of the belief that teams can knowingly manipulate when they get test results. They might purposely test on a Saturday at a particular time knowing they might not get results until after the game Sunday--etc.   That way they can say they didn't knowingly send positive players out there.   I'm of the belief that some teams are implementing strategic manipulation in regards to the timing of tests/results rather than knowingly sending posive players out. 

The Jaguars entire defensive coaching staff was sent home on Tuesday following a positive COVID-19 test. 

Contract tracing is underway. Per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, it is "not yet clear how it may impact who's available." The Jags play the Browns on Sunday. Stay tuned. 

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Nov 24, 2020, 4:02 PM ET

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports another Browns player tested positive for COVID-19.

The Browns have shut down their facility and contact tracing is underway. It's the same situation as last week, when DE Myles Garrett tested positive. Cleveland also has OL Chris Hubbard, FB Andy Janovich, and DE Joe Jackson on the reserve/COVID-19 list. The Browns play Jacksonville in Week 12.

SOURCE: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Nov 25, 2020, 10:01 AM ET

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports another Browns player tested positive for COVID-19.

The Browns have shut down their facility and contact tracing is underway. It's the same situation as last week, when DE Myles Garrett tested positive. Cleveland also has OL Chris Hubbard, FB Andy Janovich, and DE Joe Jackson on the reserve/COVID-19 list. The Browns play Jacksonville in Week 12.

- The Cleveland Plain Dealer

Jaguars DC Todd Wash will miss Sunday's game against the Browns.

The Jaguars' defensive coaching staff has been working remotely following a positive COVID-19 test. This likely means Wash was the one who tested positive and won't be cleared to return for Week 12. With Wash out, DB coach Joe Danna will call plays against Cleveland this week.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Nov 25, 2020, 9:43 AM ET

The Jaguars entire defensive coaching staff was sent home on Tuesday following a positive COVID-19 test. 

Contract tracing is underway. Per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, it is "not yet clear how it may impact who's available." The Jags play the Browns on Sunday. Stay tuned. 

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Nov 24, 2020, 4:02 PM ET
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it.....

Users who are viewing this thread