What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank the 4 great 70s Pink Floyd albums (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
This is a spin-off thread from my 1975 list, in which I just discussed “Shine On You Crazy Diamond.” And it made me think: which of these albums do I like the best? So here is my own ranking: 

1. The Wall 

2. Wish You Were Here 

3. Dark Side of the Moon 

4. Animals 

I keep switching #1 and #2. How do you see it? 

Animals

Dark Side

Wish

The Wall

Dark Side and Wish are VERY close. The Wall is an easy #4 for me because I don't like much of disc 2. Animals is harder-edged than the others and boasts some of Gilmour's best guitar work, both of which are big pluses for me, that's why it gets the top spot. 

Depends on the mood, all are so great

all are best listened to as an album

Money,  young lust, another brink in the wall part 2 are very over rated, though they fit well in the album

Dogs is as good as anything they have ever done

comfortably numb you'd think would be over rated, its not

if i have to rate them i'd put the wall 4th because it was the final straw that broke the band.

Animals

Wish you were Here

Dark Side

Wall

wasnt much of a follower - went to most of their bi-annual concerts at Boston's Music Hall in the early 70s because they were always nonpareil events (during the Atom Heart Mother tour, a kid fell out of the balcony and went unattended for fifteen minutes cuz everyone thought it was an effect), but i generally didnt like Floydoids in those days and music had a much stronger social component back then.

i'll be forever grateful for Meddle, however. my first job after high school was as a teacher's aide in one of the country's first IDEA classes, where severely handicapped kids were educated in mainstream schools. half of our class were full-on, mostly pre-verbal autistics, some of the most difficult people in the world to figure out, even for the pros back then (almost 50 yrs ago). the stress was palpable, which would irritate the other kids suffering unto various physical maladies already. blessing of blessings, we were already using a lot of music as a palliative but someone put Meddle on the turntable and vroomp, the auts all immediately zoned out like a catnipped litter to it. i honestly believe the class might not have made it thru an entire scholastic year without the Pavlovian effect the opening strains of "One of These Days". and, since our success was part of the trend which enabled the legislation by which handicapped students were able to escape institutional care, this actually might be Pink Floyd's greatest contribution to  the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fearless is so good. One of my favorites by them. I saw Nick Mason's band last year and they played it. Spine tingly greatness.
Definitely wanted to check Nick’s band out - heard they were really good. Had to YouTube your comment.

Fearless

Not sure if it was piped in, but I like the touch of including the soccer crowd chant at the end.

Definitely wanted to check Nick’s band out - heard they were really good. Had to YouTube your comment.

Fearless

Not sure if it was piped in, but I like the touch of including the soccer crowd chant at the end.
The band was really talented. Nick dusted off a bunch of songs I thought I'd never see played live. Loved it.

Interstellar Overdrive; Astronomy Domine; Lucifer Sam; Fearless; Obscured by Clouds; When You're In; Remember a Day; Arnold Layne; Vegetable Man; If; Atom Heart Mother; The Nile Song; Green Is the Colour; Let There Be More Light; Childhood's End; Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun; See Emily Play; Bike; One of These Days

Encore:

A Saucerful of Secrets

Point Me at the Sky

The band was really talented. Nick dusted off a bunch of songs I thought I'd never see played live. Loved it.

Interstellar Overdrive; Astronomy Domine; Lucifer Sam; Fearless; Obscured by Clouds; When You're In; Remember a Day; Arnold Layne; Vegetable Man; If; Atom Heart Mother; The Nile Song; Green Is the Colour; Let There Be More Light; Childhood's End; Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun; See Emily Play; Bike; One of These Days

Encore:

A Saucerful of Secrets

Point Me at the Sky
Love that Nick’s focus has been on pre-DSOTM. That’s a part of Floyd’s career that most Floyd renditions/cover bands don’t focus on too much (not surprisingly). 

Nice that Nick got Guy Pratt, who has played/toured with the Waters-less Floyd since Momentary Lapse of Reason (and was Richard Wright’s son-in-law at one point). Didn’t know Gary Kemp, who formerly was guitarist/background vocalist of Spandau Ballet, is lead vocalist.

Dark Side

WYWH

Animals

The Wall

ETA: I should give Animals several more spins. I might be underrating it here.

Animals

Dark Side

Wish

The Wall

Dark Side and Wish are VERY close. The Wall is an easy #4 for me because I don't like much of disc 2. Animals is harder-edged than the others and boasts some of Gilmour's best guitar work, both of which are big pluses for me, that's why it gets the top spot. 
This 

timschochet said:
This is a spin-off thread from my 1975 list, in which I just discussed “Shine On You Crazy Diamond.” And it made me think: which of these albums do I like the best? So here is my own ranking: 

1. The Wall 

2. Wish You Were Here 

3. Dark Side of the Moon 

4. Animals 

So I understand there are Floyd albums from the 1970s you may not include, but Meddle has to be in this list. Yes, it may be my #5 at the end of the day, but it's an outstanding album and if you catch me, and others, in the right frame of mind, it could creep into the top 3.

I'd have had a different answer to this question in each decade of my life, teens, 20s, 30 and now (late) 40s. 

Gun to my head:

Dark Side

Wall

Animals

Wish You Were Here

Meddle

Ask me again tomorrow, who knows.

I know I will get push back on this, but I don't see Meddle as being in the same ballpark as the other four.  Echoes is obviously amazing, but Side 1 is not overly impressive.  One of These Days and Fearless are both quite good, with the former always being far better live than it was in the studio, but then you have the solid and nice A Pillow of Winds (but essential? Nah), and then two forgettable tracks in San Tropez and Seamus.  Quite a contrast to the Big 4, all of which are pretty amazing from start to finish, and yes that includes The Wall, which must be viewed as a whole rather than picking at some of the short songs which may not stand out on their own, but are essential within the context and flow of the record, although I get that it might be too bleak overall for some.

I know I will get push back on this, but I don't see Meddle as being in the same ballpark as the other four.  Echoes is obviously amazing, but Side 1 is not overly impressive.  One of These Days and Fearless are both quite good, with the former always being far better live than it was in the studio, but then you have the solid and nice A Pillow of Winds (but essential? Nah), and then two forgettable tracks in San Tropez and Seamus.  Quite a contrast to the Big 4, all of which are pretty amazing from start to finish, and yes that includes The Wall, which must be viewed as a whole rather than picking at some of the short songs which may not stand out on their own, but are essential within the context and flow of the record, although I get that it might be too bleak overall for some.
I generally rank Meddle ahead of The Wall because San Tropez (which I actually don't mind) and Seamus are only 2 songs, and everything on disc 2 other than Hey You, Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell is ... a lot. 

There are no wrong answers. All those albums are or near masterpieces. Gun to my head:

Dark Side

Animals

Wish You Were Here

The Wall

timschochet said:

1. The Wall 

2. Wish You Were Here 

3. Dark Side of the Moon 

4. Animals 

Dark side

Wish you were here

Animals

The wall

Dark Side, beginning to end it is perfect.

Wall, higher high points but too much filler.

Wish you were here, meh.

I need to listen to Animals again. It's been too long and I don't remember it. 

Users who are viewing this thread