What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Mylie Cyrus the next Great Female Rock singer? (1 Viewer)

Did you actually listen to any of those?   Not a fan of her makeup or outfit selection, but her vocals are incredible.  
yes, but I turned it off. she's got little to no range while singing karaoke. not a fan. but the other end of that lol is that "rock" and the idea of "rock" singers itself is dead, and has been dead for a couple decades. Cyrus is an industry product. no working her way up via touring, no artistry in constructing her own rock tunes, just riding on achy breaky coattails.  There are tons of females with better vocals who weren't born and raised as child actors on Disney so they go unnoticed outside of some youtube subscriptions.

I don't think think she is particularly talented, but even more than that I think the "rock singer" is a bygone pop culture character.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, but I turned it off. she's got little to no range while singing karaoke. not a fan. but the other end of that lol is that "rock" and the idea of "rock" singers itself is dead, and has been dead for a couple decades. Cyrus is an industry product. no working her way up via touring, no artistry in constructing her own rock tunes, just riding on achy breaky coattails.  There are tons of females with better vocals who weren't born and raised as child actors on Disney so they go unnoticed outside of some youtube subscriptions.

I don't think think she is particularly talented, but even more than that I think the "rock singer" is a bygone pop culture character.
That’s someone’s daughter

I only gave this a shot because it was such a long shot but thanks for the links @jon_mx that was much better than I expected. 

Seeing her cover Chris Cornell live changed my opinion of her completely.  She slayed that ####.

I believe this is the one:  "Say Hello to Heaven"
Just past halfway through the video you can hear the moment she won over the crowd because they go completely silent for her and then cheer when she's done.  I just wish she could get a slightly higher note on that heaven once or twice but she absolutely crushed that. 

Didn't care for the covers of Heart of Glass or Maneater, but Landslide was good.  Her natural voice worked well for that one, but didn't for the others.  Might be a good idea to remember the words if you are going to cover a song though, instead of having to look at your phone to remember them. :lol:

Certainly the industry is full of manufactured music which lacks creative artistry.  But she possesses a pretty impressive 4 octive range and her low end raspy voice is sung with a lot of soul which is anything but karaoke.  She possesses imoressive vocal talent but it does remain to be seen what level of creativity she can bring.  

I am seeing a resurgence in the younger generation who enjoy rock and appreciate talented musicians playing real instruments. 
I’m not. Older bands are still popular but I don’t see a major rock band with crossover appeal right now. 

Her appeal to men is her sluttyness. In the end she will break your achy breaky heart

nufced

Hayley Williams is much better and she is already in what most people today would consider a working rock band.

Hayley Williams is much better and she is already in what most people today would consider a working rock band.
Paramore has been around for 20 years and has already reinvented themselves. Good band but not the next great anything. She has already arrived and reached her peak. 

She's been good for like 10 years.....strange thread topic.  
Has she been doing rock music for 10 years?  My impression was that her recent covers of rock songs indicated a new direction she might take to where she could become the next great female rock singer (rather than just a great female singer, if one wants to call her a great singer, which I am not sold on).

Has she been doing rock music for 10 years?  My impression was that her recent covers of rock songs indicated a new direction she might take to where she could become the next great female rock singer (rather than just a great female singer, if one wants to call her a great singer, which I am not sold on).
She definitely used to lean pop, then she tried to do hip-hop and I am sure there was a country phase somewhere

She definitely used to lean pop, then she tried to do hip-hop and I am sure there was a country phase somewhere
Sounds about right. I can't name one original song of hers, so I wasn't 100%, but I am sure that if she had done a rock phase by now, I would have heard about it. 

Sounds about right. I can't name one original song of hers, so I wasn't 100%, but I am sure that if she had done a rock phase by now, I would have heard about it. 
To me the test would be for her to come out with her own original rock songs. There are probably lots of current female sings who could do covers of rock songs just as good as Miley. 

Party in the USA and Wrecking Ball are the 2 songs she is known for 

Party in the USA and Wrecking Ball are the 2 songs she is known for 
Never heard either prior to just now (just checked out both on YT), but I admittedly avoid most modern pop like it's got COVID.  Party in the USA sounded like the usual modern pop song, with it drowned in effects on the vocals to where you wonder if a human is actually even singing it.

Never heard either prior to just now (just checked out both on YT), but I admittedly avoid most modern pop like it's got COVID.  Party in the USA sounded like the usual modern pop song, with it drowned in effects on the vocals to where you wonder if a human is actually even singing it.
That was still her pop phase.  I think Midnight Sky is really her first step into doing an original rock song.

Is she talented?  Absolutely 

does she have a unique voice and solid vocal range?  I'm not an expert--but I'd still confidently say yes. Although I have to say that her voice has seemed to become a bit more masculine after her vocal surgery.  

Is she a solid/great pop singer? Her music is not really my taste--but her popularity and record sales prove that she is a great pop singer.  By that alone--she can be categorized as one of great female pop singers of maybe the last 10+ years 

Do I think that she's the next great female rock singer?  No.  I don't believe that covering other peoples music automatically puts you in the genre of the music that you are covering.  For example--Hayley and paramore covered Drakes Passionfruit really well. That by no means that Hayley is going to be the next great female hip hop or R&B star. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqoj_3r9oqg

That was still her pop phase.  I think Midnight Sky is really her first step into doing an original rock song.
That's a rock song?

Is she talented?  Absolutely 

does she have a unique voice and solid vocal range?  I'm not an expert--but I'd still confidently say yes. Although I have to say that her voice has seemed to become a bit more masculine after her vocal surgery.  

Is she a solid/great pop singer? Her music is not really my taste--but her popularity and record sales prove that she is a great pop singer.  By that alone--she can be categorized as one of great female pop singers of maybe the last 10+ years 

Do I think that she's the next great female rock singer?  No.  I don't believe that covering other peoples music automatically puts you in the genre of the music that you are covering.  For example--Hayley and paramore covered Drakes Passionfruit really well. That by no means that Hayley is going to be the next great female hip hop or R&B star. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqoj_3r9oqg
Agreed.  If she starts writing and recording original rock songs that are good, we can have that conversation, but not before.

I dig it.  My daughter listed to the early Miley stuff...like from when she broke free of the Hannah Montana stuff.  

I like her voice so I left it on.  Now I'm doing some deeper dives on the newer stuff.  So far I really like Younger Now.  The entire album is pretty good.  I tried to get into Miley and Her Dead Petz, but its not really sticking with me.  At least not yet.  

Haven't really gone much further than that yet.

Paramore has been around for 20 years and has already reinvented themselves. Good band but not the next great anything. She has already arrived and reached her peak. 
16 years. Don't make me feel any older than I already am. Still remember the store that I bought the "All We Know Is Falling" CD because I wasn't sure if iTunes was paying artists appropriately. 

For a female rock singer, my first choice is always Lzzy Hale

I Am the Fire

Taylor Momsen’s pretty good, too

Heaven Knows 
This is the best answer, right here. Both are amazing, especially Lzzy. 

Users who are viewing this thread