What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commissioner fail or overreaction? (1 Viewer)

Should there be a rule change or should the rules at the draft stay?

• Rule change

Votes: 33 56.9%
  • No rule change

Votes: 25 43.1%

• Total voters

dntpanic

Footballguy
This afternoon in response to the Chiefs postponement (and well after the Titans postponement where no change was proposed), the league commissioner, citing a Matthew Berry tweet, attempted to unilaterally change the league rules allowing for players to designate a back up player in the instance the starter's game is postponed.  Commissioner owns Kelce, so he for example would be able to start Kelce and put his backup tight end as "backup" in the instance the Chiefs game is postponed.  If Kelce plays his points count, if he doesn't the backup points count.  Clearly this benefits him significantly this week, although he has made clear the rule change was no motivated by that.  After my complaining he put this up for a league vote, but I still feel this is in bad form.  Cancellations are not unanticipated, and me, like many other players, managed our rosters accordingly.  Had this rule been in place I would have managed the waiver wire substantially different.  A league vote will not change that.

Am I over reacting here, or do you all agree with me this is a problem?  If this was an injury designated player on the weekend with a game Monday you would just have to make a call, make roster moves etc, or take the risk the player plays.  How is this any different?

This afternoon in response to the Chiefs postponement (and well after the Titans postponement where no change was proposed), the league commissioner, citing a Matthew Berry tweet, attempted to unilaterally change the league rules allowing for players to designate a back up player in the instance the starter's game is postponed.  Commissioner owns Kelce, so he for example would be able to start Kelce and put his backup tight end as "backup" in the instance the Chiefs game is postponed.  If Kelce plays his points count, if he doesn't the backup points count.  Clearly this benefits him significantly this week, although he has made clear the rule change was no motivated by that.  After my complaining he put this up for a league vote, but I still feel this is in bad form.  Cancellations are not unanticipated, and me, like many other players, managed our rosters accordingly.  Had this rule been in place I would have managed the waiver wire substantially different.  A league vote will not change that.

Am I over reacting here, or do you all agree with me this is a problem?  If this was an injury designated player on the weekend with a game Monday you would just have to make a call, make roster moves etc, or take the risk the player plays.  How is this any different?
You're overreacting.  Many leagues are doing this same thing trying to keep the game from getting blown up too badly (I don't commish any leagues but ones I am in are doing the same thing.)  If you don't trust the guy is trying to run the league with integrity don't play in his league.

certainly shouldn't be making a unilateral rule change.

IMO, this was ALWAYS a possibility, probably even a likelihood.  So while I like the idea of the rule for this year, you can't add it in now. (only way I'd consider it fair would be a unanimous vote)    That's just lame.

And this is coming from someone whose first 3 picks this year were Henry, Conner and Mahomes.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I am interested in hearing how you would’ve managed your waiver wire substantially different. 

CJW_55106, Ive kept an extreme low count of easily replaceable positions and more WRs/RBs than I generally would in anticipation of the issue.  I have no backup QB, TE, Defense etc.  I would usually have at least one of those.  I passed on Joe Burrow this week just for that reason.  With this rule change, those carrying those backups are at an advantage.

We put a similar system into place BEFORE the draft in anticipation of strange stuff like this.  Shame on your commish and your entire league for not having some foresight.  

CJW_55106, Ive kept an extreme low count of easily replaceable positions and more WRs/RBs than I generally would in anticipation of the issue.  I have no backup QB, TE, Defense etc.  I would usually have at least one of those.  I passed on Joe Burrow this week just for that reason.  With this rule change, those carrying those backups are at an advantage.
I guess I just don’t understand. You usually carry an extra quarterback and tight ends,  but did not this year because players may miss games because of Covid? I guess I’m just not following along. 

Is this like a 2 QB or 16 team league? If this happens next week to the team your TE plays for, can't you add a backup TE?

I guess I just don’t understand. You usually carry an extra quarterback and tight ends,  but did not this year because players may miss games because of Covid? I guess I’m just not following along. 
Exactly.  I would generally carry a backup QB and sometimes TE.  I did not this year to carry extra WRs and RBs which can both be tough to find on the WW in a pinch (QBs and TEs are not in my league).  That said, the players carrying those backups now have a substantial advantage.  See the commish.  More importantly, its just no different to me than a hurt player that may or may not play.  What is the difference?

We put a similar system into place BEFORE the draft in anticipation of strange stuff like this.  Shame on your commish and your entire league for not having some foresight.  
Thats the thing, we as a league did make changes before the season started (extra IR spot etc).  So this has been a bit ad hoc.

A commissioners job is thankless as is. Its next to impossible this year with so many unknowns. Let him do his job as he sees fit. If you don't trust him to make the right decision then you shouldn't be in the league in the first place.
People you trust can still make the wrong decision.  I fail to see the logic here in light of my question.  

The solution our league came to before the draft was anyone with COVID or in a game that is postponed due to COVID can be put on IR. Yahoo didn't let these players be put on IR so you had to text the group text to do a COVID drop. For example, COVID drop Derrick Henry. Then the commish would drop them from your team and you were free to add a new player. Once the week is over, the Commish will drop the player you added and put Derrick Henry back on your team. 

The solution our league came to before the draft was anyone with COVID or in a game that is postponed due to COVID can be put on IR. Yahoo didn't let these players be put on IR so you had to text the group text to do a COVID drop. For example, COVID drop Derrick Henry. Then the commish would drop them from your team and you were free to add a new player. Once the week is over, the Commish will drop the player you added and put Derrick Henry back on your team. 
Ours made the same rule. This placekeeper for a backup rule was not added at the time.

seems backwards. Wouldn't you carry an extra QB and TE because of the likelihood your starter would miss a game
No.  Backup QBs and TEs up until this rule change are generally very available in my league as they are used only one (the bye week).   This rule change puts a premium on them.

Exactly.  I would generally carry a backup QB and sometimes TE.  I did not this year to carry extra WRs and RBs which can both be tough to find on the WW in a pinch (QBs and TEs are not in my league).  That said, the players carrying those backups now have a substantial advantage.  See the commish.  More importantly, its just no different to me than a hurt player that may or may not play.  What is the difference?
I still don't understand how this is harming you? You are getting the benefit of having not rostered a bunch of back up TEs and QBs thus increasing your chance of hitting a late round RB/WR and are going to be able to just add a TE/QB if you need one for COVID and be good if you get bit by that bug. 

No.  Backup QBs and TEs up until this rule change are generally very available in my league as they are used only one (the bye week).   This rule change puts a premium on them.
So then go add them if they are so valuable and available. 

Yep.  Our league dealt with this before the draft and updated before the season start.  It's not cool to change it in this manner.

doesn't sound like you trust him considering you made it a point of mentioning he has kelce
It was the example he cited in making the rule.  I dont think he changed the rule to solely benefit himself, but I would be remiss to acknowledge the rule helps him alot this week.  

I still don't understand how this is harming you? You are getting the benefit of having not rostered a bunch of back up TEs and QBs thus increasing your chance of hitting a late round RB/WR and are going to be able to just add a TE/QB if you need one for COVID and be good if you get bit by that bug. 
They are not available in numbers enough for everyone to roster a backup.  When not in demand this is not an issue, now it is.  Those that did roster the 2nd player have a substantial advantage.

Then trade one of the RB/WRs you've been hoarding for a backup QB. its not like COVID hits just QBs and TEs

Then trade one of the RB/WRs you've been hoarding for a backup QB. its not like COVID hits just QBs and TEs
I get it, you don't think there is an issue.  Thanks for your feedback.  Youre losing 6-4 in the vote

no I think you need to be a little more flexible. There's a lot of uncertainty out there and any league or commish needs to be flexible. The commissioner made what he thought was the best decision for the league. You said you don't think he made it to benefit himself and you trust him. Then quit making his job more difficult than it already is. Sorry if you may have managed your team differently. But this whole year is going to be unpredictable. One owner in our league had 6 players from the 4 NFL teams affected. 5 of them starters. It would not only be unfair to him to say dems the breaks but it would also be unfair to the rest of the league by gifting a win to his opponent. There is no perfect solution to the unpredictability of this year. Roll with the changes

no I think you need to be a little more flexible. There's a lot of uncertainty out there and any league or commish needs to be flexible. The commissioner made what he thought was the best decision for the league. You said you don't think he made it to benefit himself and you trust him. Then quit making his job more difficult than it already is. Sorry if you may have managed your team differently. But this whole year is going to be unpredictable. One owner in our league had 6 players from the 4 NFL teams affected. 5 of them starters. It would not only be unfair to him to say dems the breaks but it would also be unfair to the rest of the league by gifting a win to his opponent. There is no perfect solution to the unpredictability of this year. Roll with tchanges. es.
As I said before, your position was noted.  8-4

Yep.  Our league dealt with this before the draft and updated before the season start.  It's not cool to change it in this manner.
I think the league should vote on it and the commish shouldn’t just change it but my issue is more with the players logic on it 

If you don't trust the guy is trying to run the league with integrity don't play in his league.
Exactly. 

We never thought about this until this week and today, I as commissioner put in place a provisional lineup rule and Covid Taxi Squad to cover the rest of the year, and everyone is just fine with it. To be clear I am not affected by this at all as I don't own any Chefs or Patriots. I just think it's the right thing to do in this crazy stupid year.

Guilty as charged. I put so much time in writing up Player rules that neither I nor any others thought about whole team and game postponements. Luckily my league trusts me and understands #### happens.

No one is perfect.

A commissioners job is thankless as is. Its next to impossible this year with so many unknowns. Let him do his job as he sees fit. If you don't trust him to make the right decision then you shouldn't be in the league in the first place.
Yep, there's always one complainer in the group. Well, almost. No one liek that in my league but there is a dntpanic in my other league. Everyone understands the stupidity that is this year, but not that clown

Right, we did too, but that is only for players that actually have Covid. We failed to cover the collateral damage that would come from this.

Guilty as charged. I put so much time in writing up Player rules that neither I nor any others thought about whole team and game postponements. Luckily my league trusts me and understands #### happens.

No one is perfect.
I think what nobody anticipated is the possibility of a decision to postpone a game AFTER all other games are played. That eliminates the possibility of substitutes. This is different than the TN PIT game as that is treated like a bye week and you knew in advance

Go ahead and commish then. Quit your damn whining and try to understand most peoples lives don't revolve around magic football
Wow.  Ok man, this is a fantasy football forum, so I am looking for expertise here.  Further, to make this statement is pure ignorance.  You have no idea what the stakes are, etc.  In fact they are quite substantial (5 figures), so mid season rule changes tend to raise eyebrows.  I have for what its worth said or done nothing, and instead asked this forum for advice.  So ya, no whining, and perhaps think before judging.

I'm guessing not many leagues at all thought about the collateral damage from a few players getting Covid. Individual players, yes, probably all leagues did. But not many thought about postponed games that are moved to a few weeks later and how to handle those players that DON'T have Covid but are out by association.

I think what nobody anticipated is the possibility of a decision to postpone a game AFTER all other games are played. That eliminates the possibility of substitutes. This is different than the TN PIT game as that is treated like a bye week and you knew in advance
So in this instance, why would you look at this differently then a MNF game with a questionable player?  The only real difference is the number of players impacted, but if that is from your side worth the mid season rule change I get it.

Wow.  Ok man, this is a fantasy football forum, so I am looking for expertise here.  Further, to make this statement is pure ignorance.  You have no idea what the stakes are, etc.  In fact they are quite substantial (5 figures), so mid season rule changes tend to raise eyebrows.  I have for what its worth said or done nothing, and instead asked this forum for advice.  So ya, no whining, and perhaps think before judging.
No your post was complete out and out whining. I'm really glad I don't have any guys like you in my league. I used to but the whiners were all weeded out.

No your post was complete out and out whining. I'm really glad I don't have any guys like you in my league. I used to but the whiners were all weeded out.
Glad Im not in your league.  It would appear having a concern would make one a whiner.  Fun.

Ultimately, of course you would want rules in place before a draft and unchanged after.  But it is 2020.  You got to be a little flexible to deal with crap we have never experienced before.  If the league votes and approves the new policy, then just roll with it, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread