What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ABC affiliate: FBI investigates plot to overthrow Michigan Government (1 Viewer)

Remember when this happened back in May?  Armed protestors stormed the state capitol.

This was Trump's response

The Governor of Michigan should give a little, and put out the fire. These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal.

And then we wonder why a plot like this is attempted.
April 17 Trump tweets "LIBERATE MICHIGAN"

Oct. 8 FBI breaks up militia plot to kidnap Michigan governor. !

April 17 Trump tweets "LIBERATE MICHIGAN"

The FBI became aware early in 2020, through social media, that a militia group was "discussing the violent overthrow of certain government and law enforcement components," and "agreed to take violent action," according to a sworn affidavit.

Members of the group talked about "murdering ... tyrants" or "taking" a sitting governor, according to the affidavit. One of the relevant meetings the FBI monitored was held June 20 in Grand Rapids. the affidavit alleges.
FBI already had an informant wearing a wire at the June 20th meeting.  Not a stretch to imagine they already knew about this terrorist group in April while Trump was egging them on.  Just crazy that this is reality.  

Someone already jokingly alluded to this, but it'll never stop bothering me that these types get called a "militia" instead of "terrorist group" etc. They're domestic terrorists. Don't give them some linguistic shield that makes us think about revolutionaries from the birth of the country. This is just a group of armed men who think their own political views are more important than what has been democratically decided. Very little difference between them and ISIS.
It’s ‘cause their white. HTH. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudos to the FBI for bringing these terrorists down. Thank god they’re too dumb to have pulled this off. 

At the very, very least, Trump should be praising the fine work by law enforcement.
Well he was a little busy today generating fear about Latin American immigrants, saying that they are murderers & rapists. I’m sure he will get around to thanking the FBI for handling this tomorrow.

Well he was a little busy today generating fear about Latin American immigrants, saying that they are murderers & rapists. I’m sure he will get around to thanking the FBI for handling this tomorrow.

Worse.  He was busy tweeting out insults towards her and lies about Biden not condemning things...and calling it “his” Justice Department and Federal Law Enforcement.

Governor Whitmer of Michigan has done a terrible job. She locked down her state for everyone, except her husband’s boating activities. The Federal Government provided tremendous help to the Great People of Michigan. My Justice Department and Federal Law Enforcement announced...

...today that they foiled a dangerous plot against the Governor of Michigan. Rather than say thank you, she calls me a White Supremacist—while Biden and Democrats refuse to condemn Antifa, Anarchists, Looters and Mobs that burn down Democrat run cities...

...I do not tolerate ANY extreme violence. Defending ALL Americans, even those who oppose and attack me, is what I will always do as your President! Governor Whitmer—open up your state, open up your schools, and open up your churches!

was someone spamming "LIBERATE MICHIGAN" on twitter all spring

sounds familiar for some reason
A while back President Trump joked that one of Michigan's beloved deceased Congressman(Rep Dingell) was maybe "looking up" (from hell) and then encourages this with his liberate Michigan talk. I can't see how we can consider Michigan is a battlegroud state for this upcoming election anymore.

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/08/921824550/democrats-blame-trump-rhetoric-for-michigan-governor-kidnapping-plot

It was a generalization.  These specific guys won't be out for a long while.  I should have been clearer.  I just expect more of these types in the DC area come November.  
You know these guys think Trump is a tyrant.   They don't like govt.   Dem and Republicans are the same to them.

Just like with leftist phrase "liberals get the bullet too".   These guys are not on trumps side.

They were just plotting, so wasn't it 'mostly peaceful'?  But really it is funny how all the media leftist and BLM movement get a 100 percent free pass for all their hate-filled rhetoric which could be associated with arson, looting, riots, and police assassinations.  But all rhetoric Trump and his cohorts spew is 100% the cause of the violence.  The truth is there are psychopaths on both sides.  Maybe the rhetoric triggers them and maybe it doesn't, but it works both ways.  

They were just plotting, so wasn't it 'mostly peaceful'?  But really it is funny how all the media leftist and BLM movement get a 100 percent free pass for all their hate-filled rhetoric which could be associated with arson, looting, riots, and police assassinations.  But all rhetoric Trump and his cohorts spew is 100% the cause of the violence.  The truth is there are psychopaths on both sides.  Maybe the rhetoric triggers them and maybe it doesn't, but it works both ways.  
And these guys have videos out standing in front of an anarchy flag talking about how much they hate Trump and police. Yet the good ole’ psf wants to pass these guys off as Trump supporters. Nothing surprises me with this place anymore.

You know these guys think Trump is a tyrant.   They don't like govt.   Dem and Republicans are the same to them.

Just like with leftist phrase "liberals get the bullet too".   These guys are not on trumps side.
One suspect has “trump 2020” carved into a pumpkin displayed on his porch with a pic on his Facebook page. One suspects twitter feed is talking about locking up Hillary and how bad “the left” is along with pleading with Trump to lower insurance prices. I’m sure  someone will point and say “anarchist” followed by “anarchist=antifa” and that Trumps rhetoric is harmless.

Can we agree his rhetoric fostered this?  

Arnold Swarzeneger's next movie is definitely going to be him foiling a militia plot to kidnap him as the Governor of California.

And these guys have videos out standing in front of an anarchy flag talking about how much they hate Trump and police. Yet the good ole’ psf wants to pass these guys off as Trump supporters. Nothing surprises me with this place anymore.
These guys look like antifa

One suspect has “trump 2020” carved into a pumpkin displayed on his porch with a pic on his Facebook page. One suspects twitter feed is talking about locking up Hillary and how bad “the left” is along with pleading with Trump to lower insurance prices. I’m sure  someone will point and say “anarchist” followed by “anarchist=antifa” and that Trumps rhetoric is harmless.

These guys look like antifa
Sofa king predictable. 

They showed some video on local news last night, some of the guys FB pages were "Anti-Trump"  calling him a tyrant and dictator, same thing they called Whitmer.    Of course we won`t see that on national news.

Whitmer labeled them "White-Supremist" group yesterday.  That is totally incorrect.   The Michigan Militia never has been a racist group.  They were founded in the early 90s as an "Anti-Government" group much like Anifta.  They showed their recruiting handbook on the news last night.  Any sex, race or creed is welcome as a member if they believe in protecting the constitution and personal freedoms. 

They are basically a radical, non-comforming group of misfits.

They showed some video on local news last night, some of the guys FB pages were "Anti-Trump"  calling him a tyrant and dictator, same thing they called Whitmer.    Of course we won`t see that on national news.

Whitmer labeled them "White-Supremist" group yesterday.  That is totally incorrect.   The Michigan Militia never has been a racist group.  They were founded in the early 90s as an "Anti-Government" group much like Anifta.  They showed their recruiting handbook on the news last night.  Any sex, race or creed is welcome as a member if they believe in protecting the constitution and personal freedoms. 
13 people implicated, I’ll venture a bet that they are all white and that at least half have pro-trump or anti left dominated social media. I also live in MI and have grown up with these guys in the background; let’s quit acting like they are some sort of legitimate group protecting our freedoms. If you meet someone and they say “I’m going to a militia meeting this weekend” is it someone you hang out with again? For me, personally, that is a “ok you’re a nutjob” red flag.

13 people implicated, I’ll venture a bet that they are all white and that at least half have pro-trump or anti left dominated social media. I also live in MI and have grown up with these guys in the background; let’s quit acting like they are some sort of legitimate group protecting our freedoms. If you meet someone and they say “I’m going to a militia meeting this weekend” is it someone you hang out with again? For me, personally, that is a “ok you’re a nutjob” red flag.
I agree..I said they are a bunch of misfits.  If you have even seen under cover Anifta meetings I would venture the MM meetings were pretty much the same.  A bunch of people who really don`t fit into society, or don`t like society.

As far as them being white..they are all from rural areas in Michigan that is about 99.9 % white so I would say that would be a good bet. 

I live in michigan  about 10 miles from howell.   I have never one person ever say anything like that.    I bet u never have either.

They are basically a radical, non-comforming group of misfits.

Here's some local news video of their training center. I wonder what that flag is that the news channel - for some unknown reason - blocks out at 45 seconds?

Oh wait - here's a better picture of it. Interesting. Definitely not white supremacists.

Here's some local news video of their training center. I wonder what that flag is that the news channel - for some unknown reason - blocks out at 45 seconds?

Oh wait - here's a better picture of it. Interesting. Definitely not white supremacists.
That video is worth watching.

Trying to shoehorn these guys into right wing or left wing is not productive.

One of those guys dons a Trump hat in that video, but these guys would not welcome McConnell or Graham at a BBQ.  

I live in michigan  about 10 miles from howell.   I have never one person ever say anything like that.    I bet u never have either.
When I was an incoming freshman I was approached by two skinheads in fatigues. Probably not Michigan militia, but my reaction was “wtf?” I didn’t ask them if they wanted to hang out.

"Neighbors claim they heard gunshots in recent months." #####, you just described 75% of folks who live in unincorporated townships with no zoning laws. 

I grew up in a Village of 200 in rural mid-Michigan. On our "block" there were neighbors on either side who had gun ranges in their backyard (stand of woods downrange about 500 feet from where all the families stopped mowing.) My brother and I probably would have done the same but we built a motocross track instead.

That second picture looks like a good percentage of the homes you could drive by in between towns and villages. People who grow up country live like that. The rebel flag doesn't make them racist, lots of idiots identify with being rebellious and having a yard that is full of crap is part of that.

That said, they're generally redneck as all git out and racist by default. Distinctly remember coming home from boot camp and having my neighbor ask me, "What's it like being around n*ggers all day?"

That video is worth watching.

Trying to shoehorn these guys into right wing or left wing is not productive.

One of those guys dons a Trump hat in that video, but these guys would not welcome McConnell or Graham at a BBQ.  
Some of us tried pointing out in the Portland thread. These guys causing trouble aren't for anyone.

"Neighbors claim they heard gunshots in recent months." #####, you just described 75% of folks who live in unincorporated townships with no zoning laws. 

I grew up in a Village of 200 in rural mid-Michigan. On our "block" there were neighbors on either side who had gun ranges in their backyard (stand of woods downrange about 500 feet from where all the families stopped mowing.) My brother and I probably would have done the same but we built a motocross track instead.

That second picture looks like a good percentage of the homes you could drive by in between towns and villages. People who grow up country live like that. The rebel flag doesn't make them racist, lots of idiots identify with being rebellious and having a yard that is full of crap is part of that.

That said, they're generally redneck as all git out and racist by default. Distinctly remember coming home from boot camp and having my neighbor ask me, "What's it like being around n*ggers all day?"
I was driving home from vacation and was hungry.  Saw a McDonalds sign at an exit.  It was Ionia MI..I had to drive 3-4 miles into town.   When I got there I thought I was in mid Bama or Mississippi.   Never seen so many rednecks in my life at one place.  I have a yellow lab and a guy pulls into the lot next to me in a trunk with 2 pitbulls in the bed that i think are going to jump out and attack me and my dog. It was crazy.

My buddy has a cabin in Lewiston and it an avid hunter. We go to the gun range there and I thought I was at an Army training center.  There were maybe 15 people  shooting..but there had to be well over 100 weapons of all kinds.  And thousands rounds of ammo everywhere.  I thought it will be tough to take down the little town of Lewiston. And these people were serious.   

I was driving home from vacation and was hungry.  Saw a McDonalds sign at an exit.  It was Ionia MI..I had to drive 3-4 miles into town.   When I got there I thought I was in mid Bama or Mississippi.   Never seen so many rednecks in my life at one place.  I have a yellow lab and a guy pulls into the lot next to me in a trunk with 2 pitbulls in the bed that i think are going to jump out and attack me and my dog. It was crazy.

My buddy has a cabin in Lewiston and it an avid hunter. We go to the gun range there and I thought I was at an Army training center.  There were maybe 15 people  shooting..but there had to be well over 100 weapons of all kinds.  And thousands rounds of ammo everywhere.  I thought it will be tough to take down the little town of Lewiston.
That's one country south. Yeah, I actually know that McDonald's - past the airport, right in front of Meijers. That's the "fancy new location." You used to have to go down the big hill and curve around the Grand River into town, it was across from the fairgrounds. Good 7-8 miles from I-96.

:lol:

Our town had the local County 4-H Fair. Was the biggest thing all year (well that and the Danish Festival.) But the REALLY BIG DEAL was to drive a half hour to the Ionia Free Fair. 

Think I saw Eddie Money there one year.

Can we agree his rhetoric fostered this?  
They are on record as hating Trump, so it is unlikely they were influenced by anything Trump said.   But it will be reported ad nauseam as a fact by the media and become the 'truth'.

That's one country south. Yeah, I actually know that McDonald's - past the airport, right in front of Meijers. That's the "fancy new location." You used to have to go down the big hill and curve around the Grand River into town, it was across from the fairgrounds. Good 7-8 miles from I-96.

:lol:

Our town had the local County 4-H Fair. Was the biggest thing all year (well that and the Danish Festival.) But the REALLY BIG DEAL was to drive a half hour to the Ionia Free Fair. 

Think I saw Eddie Money there one year.
Yes!

Trumps response.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1314377607379640320

Governor Whitmer of Michigan has done a terrible job. She locked down her state for everyone, except her husband’s boating activities. The Federal Government provided tremendous help to the Great People of Michigan. My Justice Department and Federal Law Enforcement announced...

...today that they foiled a dangerous plot against the Governor of Michigan. Rather than say thank you, she calls me a White Supremacist—while Biden and Democrats refuse to condemn Antifa, Anarchists, Looters and Mobs that burn down Democrat run cities...

...I do not tolerate ANY extreme violence. Defending ALL Americans, even those who oppose and attack me, is what I will always do as your President! Governor Whitmer—open up your state, open up your schools, and open up your churches!

Pretty much akin to saying "I do not tolerate rape, but Governor Whitmer needs to stop wearing such slutty clothes".

What county these boys from?
All over.
Sterling Heights, Belleville, Cadillac, Canton, Charlotte, Clarkston, Grand Rapids, Hartland, Luther, Munith, Orion Township, Ovid, Shelby Township and Waterford Township.

You weren't kidding. I graduated from Charlotte (moved there for my last two years.) Pretty sure we had zero black families in K-12, maybe 1-2 Asian families. Legit probably never heard the term Latino until after I graduated and moved away. Lots of Mexicans but they were usually only around during growing season.

They are on record as hating Trump, so it is unlikely they were influenced by anything Trump said.  
Well a couple of them (Croft and Musico) were very pro-Trump in their social media postings on Tik Tok and YouTube. In general though, they seem more anit-government extremist than pro-anything. I don't think it's a stretch that Trump tweeting "LIBERATE MICHIGAN" after the American Patriot Rally at the state capitol was viewed as validation by most in the group.

TBH I don't know much about Boogaloo or 3 Percenters other than they're pretty far out there; basically anarchist seems to fit better than fascist.

Have seen a few things online trying to tie this movement to feeling disconnected from society and driven by the powerlessness that accompanies economic struggles. Not sure I buy that. I know lots of low income country folks and the percentage that are drawn to this level of radicalism is miniscule. 

No one grew up in a more homogenous culture than I did. Yet somehow I was progressive and open minded from go. I think travelling when I was young plus living in different parts of the country helped broaden me.

I liked to hunt as a youngster and we had a locked gun case in our house, as did most of my relatives. Ain't nothing wrong with country living if that's your thing, I love leaving the concrete behind. But I took a look around and quickly realized staying where I was would likely never yield an opportunity to live a good life. After I was discharged I lived in a Lake Michigan beach town (Grand Haven), after I finished university I lived exclusively in urban/suburban areas (Kentwood, Grosse Pointe Woods, West Bloomfield, NYC.) That's where the jobs were. Would have been great to live on a freshwater lake in a cottage or on my own ten acres but that life isn't sustainable in an area of farms and small towns.

Anyway, not buying these guys were driven to or forced into anything. They chose to be the way they are IMO. Because when you don't like what is going on in your life, it's up to you to make the necessary changes to improve your situation. To not take any personal responsibility and shift blame to the government or society is lazy rationalization. That's b.s.

Trumps response.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1314377607379640320

Pretty much akin to saying "I do not tolerate rape, but Governor Whitmer needs to stop wearing such slutty clothes".
No.  We're all allowed to criticize elected officials without implying that we're in favor of having them kidnapped.

Users who are viewing this thread