What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Travis Fulgham, GB (2 Viewers)

Should have grabbed him but I was suppressing my homer side. Now he's going to be taken well before my spot this week. Guy is super hungry and I do t see him letting this spot go easy.

Travis Fulgham caught 10-of-13 targets for 152 yards and a touchdown in the Eagles' Week 5 loss to the Steelers.

Fulgham has bounced around multiple teams during his two years as a pro but now has a home and a defined role with the Eagles. Philly has been ravaged by receiver injuries this year. They were without their top three options at receiver this week plus Dallas Goedert (ankle, IR). He led the team in targets and no other Eagles player saw more than six looks from Carson Wentz. Fulgham is one of the best adds off the waiver at receiver and has some viability at flex if Philly's receiving room can't get healthy for Week 6.

Oct 11, 2020, 4:34 PM ET

Beat three different DBs, half his catches came on third down. Dominant performance. Some of these were zone coverage but it looked like the breakdown was 

RCB Steven Nelson 5 catches

LCB Joe Haden 1 catch (3rd & 17); broke up crucial 3rd & 5 late 4th

Nickel/Slot CB Mike Hilton 4 catches

They're not playing as well this year but all 3 were top 25 in PFF coverage grades in 2019.

Never heard of him.
I was excited when the Lions drafted him in 2019, but he had a fumble in the third preseason game. Came back with 5-80ish 4th game to make PS.

He was on mostly on special teams, only 3 targets in 63 offensive snaps. Cut him this summer, Green Bay signed him, waived him, Iggles signed him to their PS but only elevated him  10/3.

Quite the last two months:

* August 9th: waived by the Lions
* August 10th: claimed by Packers  
* August 19th: waived by the Packers    
* August 20th: claimed by the Eagles    
* October 4th: catches game-winning TD  
* October 11th: 10 catches, 152 yards, 1 TD

Good size, athletic but not blazing fast, excellent route runner. Strong  enough to make contested catches.

Might not be sustainable as guys get healthy but he’s worth a stab IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
2019 Combine 

40 4.58

Broad Jump 10'6"

Vertical 36.5"

225 Bench reps 15

Imma be honest witcha - following the game updates on my phone from my market booth, I followed the one drive when he had like 3-4 catches in a row and was like “who the...what the...how the...who IS that?!”

Still kinda me, TBH. Was hoping Hightower would turn into this. I haz disappoint. 

Imma be honest witcha - following the game updates on my phone from my market booth, I followed the one drive when he had like 3-4 catches in a row and was like “who the...what the...how the...who IS that?!”

Still kinda me, TBH. Was hoping Hightower would turn into this. I haz disappoint. 
Having a stroke there? I was half expecting to see this as a “sample size” post. 

I don’t like his last name. It doesn’t sound like a good WR name

Having a stroke there? I was half expecting to see this as a “sample size” post. 

I don’t like his last name. It doesn’t sound like a good WR name
I do smell toast. Should I be worried? Oh, wait - I put some bread in the toaster. Whew. 

he just literally came outta nowhere. I consider myself above average in following the game. it’s not totally uncommon for me to see a guy I've never heard of. It IS uncommon for me to see a guy I've never heard of turn in that productive of a day. 

Watching the game and Fulgham sitting in my starting lineup, I was screaming 'Fulgham' on every catch.

@BobbyLayne thanks for the info. Its not often a player breaks out without me knowing who they are before hand. It gives me a feeling of nostalgia for when I used to know less and this would happen more often.

I watched the cut up of his receptions and he made some good grabs as well as working himself open. I look forward to learning more about him.

Eagles Overreactions: Is Zach Ertz Done Being an Elite Tight End in the NFL?

Excerpt:

3. Travis Fulgham is a legit NFL wide receiver

Overreaction: No

With a slew of injuries to guys like Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, and Jalen Reagor, it was hard to get excited about any of the guys the Eagles lined up at wide receiver this week.

Not anymore.

A loss is a loss, but Travis Fulgham put up a game for the record books on Sunday, catching 10 balls for 152 yards and a touchdown. It was the kind of game you remember for a long time, where a guy lodges his name in a fanbase's lore for the forseeable future.

Fulgham, a sixth-round pick last year who didn't have a career catch when the Eagles signed him earlier this year, is now the Eagles' best wide receiver option after five weeks. 

And it wasn't just dink-and-dunk accumulation, either: Fulgham made contested catches, got open against a great defense, and caught clutch third-down pass after clutch third-down pass. He's 25 years old, he has solid size at 6-2, 215 pounds, and he's suddenly the most exciting part of the Birds' offense.

Oh, and here's a factoid from NBC Sports Philadelphia's Reuben Frank to make you think about the way the Eagles find their wide receivers:

Travis Fulgham has more catches on this drive than J.J. Arcega-Whiteside has in his last eight games.

— Reuben Frank (@RoobNBCS) October 11, 2020

What is happening? I'm not sure, but it's fun. Fulgham fever forever.

Reminds me of Michael Thomas. Not saying he'll put up MT stats this year. Or ever. But that's whose game I see similarities to in his catch reel from this past weekend.

Doesn't this guy go bye bye when the likes of Alshon, DJax, Goedert, and Reagor reappear?

Feels like the weekly guy you pick up then drop a week later.

Feel like the shark move is grabbing DJax if he was dropped. I think this PHI offense gets it together 2nd half of the season.

Reminds me of Michael Thomas. Not saying he'll put up MT stats this year. Or ever. But that's whose game I see similarities to in his catch reel from this past weekend.
Reminds me of Marques Colston. Back then it was 'who?', 'what'? when he started putting up big stats as a rookie 7th rounder.

Have people not seen that Jeffrey and Jackson are name only players now and offer nothing on the field?
I'll readily admit, I don't watch enough Philly to say for sure what either of these guys have left.  I can however look at the numbers, and I don't see what it is that makes them such sure things to just step in and take over the WR snaps when they do get healthy.  DJax is 33, missed a ton of games over the last 5 years, and has only been productive in spurts when active.  Alshon has missed his share of games, and has also just been moderately productive when active.  I have no idea how much staying power Fulgham has, but I do wonder if DJax and Jeffrey are truly destined to relegate him to the bench when they can finally hit the field.

MAQB: Trevor Lawrence Looms Over the 2020 Season; How Travis Fulgham Was Found; More

Excerpt:

To most of us, the sudden stardom of Eagles WR Travis Fulgham came out of nowhere—the former sixth-round pick’s name wasn’t exactly circulating much ahead of the 2019 draft, he played his college ball at Old Dominion and he’s lived the life of an NFL journeyman the last 14 months. But how all this came to be is far more interesting than that, and a good example of how the NFL’s scouting departments work.

Philly Northeast area scout Jim Ward loved Fulgham leading into the ’19 draft and, accordingly, the Eagles had strong grades on him. The problem was they only had three day three picks, they wound up trading one of them for DT Hassan Ridgeway, and they’d already taken a receiver, Stanford’s J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, in the second round. 

The Lions wound up drafting Fulgham in the sixth round, but the Eagles kept tracking him. Fulgham went from Detroit’s active roster to its practice squad that September, then back on the active roster in December. Detroit then waived him in August and the Packers claimed him, then waived him 10 days later. And at that point, with expanded training camp rosters, the Eagles finally had a spot for him. So they put in the claim, he spent a few weeks on the practice squad in September, and then got called up nine days ago.

At the time, he didn’t have an NFL catch. Two days later, he scored the 42-yard, fourth-quarter touchdown that put Philly ahead for good in its first win of the season, over San Francisco. And Sunday, he went for 152 yards and another score on 10 catches. Now, if the Eagles knew he was capable of that? They wouldn’t have waited so long to grab him. But they did feel like something was there all along, so this is a testament, in my mind, to not giving up on an evaluation, and in this case not giving up on Fulgham sure has paid off.

Where does Travis Fulgham fit in as Eagles wide receivers DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffery inch closer to return?

Only time will tell whether Travis Fulgham’s breakout performance against the Steelers was an outlier or an indication of things to come.

While most objective observers are still on the fence, Carson Wentz has already made up his mind about the Eagles' wide receiver after he followed up his pivotal touchdown against the 49ers with a 10-catch afternoon against Pittsburgh on Sunday.

“I think he showed last week that there was no fluke,” Wentz said. “He’s a big-time player, and we’ve seen what he’s done in practice now for a while and how he’s kind of come along within our offense and in our system."

In the two games since the Eagles promoted Fulgham from the practice squad to the active roster on Oct. 4, he’s quickly become Wentz’s favorite receiver. With Zach Ertz struggling to make an impact, the former Old Dominion wideout has been targeted a team-high 15 times and has caught 12 of those targets for 209 yards and two touchdowns, earning the “big-time player” label the Eagles' quarterback has placed on him.

Fulgham had 10 catches for 152 yards and a touchdown against a solid Steelers defense on Sunday, presumably cementing his role in the team’s offense moving forward. But it’s important to remember the 25-year-old was given his opportunity to play because of injuries to DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery, and Jalen Reagor. Jackson has missed the last two games with a hamstring injury, while Jeffery hasn’t played since last season after suffering a Lisfranc foot injury.

“With the injuries going around, he was the next guy up," Wentz said. "[We] looked out there and said, ‘Hey, we’re confident this guy can get it done,’ and he’s been making play after play, and I think he’s got a bright future.”

Once both veteran receivers are fully healthy and returned, implementing them back into the offense without interfering with Fulgham’s playing time will be a challenge for the Eagles' coaching staff. Jackson has been impactful when he’s played for the Birds in the last two seasons, forcing opposing defenses to deploy safety help over the top and forcing defensive backs to play off the line against him, which creates space for everyone else. Still, the 33-year-old has missed 16 games in the last two seasons and was on a play count at the start of this year as the team tries to keep him healthy.

Jeffery, 30, was in the midst of his worst season since his rookie year in 2019 before going down with his foot injury in Week 14 of last year. He had career lows in yards per reception and the fewest catches per game since he’d joined the Eagles.

Jeffery appeared to struggle separating at times last season, so whether he still has the speed necessary to get open after the foot surgery remains to be seen.

During his Wednesday news conference, Eagles coach Doug Pederson conceded as much, saying the decision to put a productive player like Fulgham on the bench for Jeffery or Jackson would be “difficult." But he alluded to uncertainty about whether Jackson or Jeffery would even be available for Sunday’s game against the Baltimore Ravens at Lincoln Financial Field.

“We have to make sure that the player in question is healthy,” Pederson said. “That’s why we practice during the week and we let them practice today and we see how they feel tomorrow on a Thursday. Then we see how they feel on Friday. Then we can make a decision for gameday. At the same time, it is hard to say, ‘Hey Travis, we’re going to push you to the side because here comes a couple of guys’ ”

Translation: Fulgham isn’t going anywhere even when Jeffery and Jackson are back healthy. It’s still unclear just how many receivers the Eagles are willing to keep on the active roster, but Reagor’s eventual return could force the team to let someone go.

The Eagles currently have seven wideouts on the active roster, but if Reagor returns from injured reserve as expected, they’d have eight. Even with the coronavirus-altered league rules expanding rosters, eight would be a stretch.

“We’ve got to get all of our guys integrated back into practice this week,” Pederson said. “At the end of the day, we’ve got to select the four or five guys that we feel give us the best opportunity on game day. Some of it could be based purely on matchup. Obviously, Travis has made a case to continue to play and play at a high level.”

During his Wednesday news conference, Eagles coach Doug Pederson conceded as much, saying the decision to put a productive player like Fulgham on the bench for Jeffery or Jackson would be “difficult." But he alluded to uncertainty about whether Jackson or Jeffery would even be available for Sunday’s game against the Baltimore Ravens at Lincoln Financial Field.

“We have to make sure that the player in question is healthy,” Pederson said. “That’s why we practice during the week and we let them practice today and we see how they feel tomorrow on a Thursday. Then we see how they feel on Friday. Then we can make a decision for gameday. At the same time, it is hard to say, ‘Hey Travis, we’re going to push you to the side because here comes a couple of guys’ ”

Translation: Fulgham isn’t going anywhere even when Jeffery and Jackson are back healthy. It’s still unclear just how many receivers the Eagles are willing to keep on the active roster, but Reagor’s eventual return could force the team to let someone go.
Playing Time is the main concern I have... if Fulgham continues to get it, I'll enjoy having him in my starting lineup.

Due to injuries/byes I have to plug Fulgy in. Not confident against the Ravens but if he gets 8+ targets I think he could up decent numbers and be serviceable.  

Due to injuries/byes I have to plug Fulgy in. Not confident against the Ravens but if he gets 8+ targets I think he could up decent numbers and be serviceable.  
don’t like him this week but it’s not the worst choice

he had the quarterbacks trust which is huge 

The thing that makes me wary of Fulgham is what happens when DJax, Reagor, Jeffrey and Goedert come back? No way he retains his current status; once Goedert is healthy it's right back to 12 personnel with Ertz and Goedert. He feels like a two week and pray type of guy...

The thing that makes me wary of Fulgham is what happens when DJax, Reagor, Jeffrey and Goedert come back? No way he retains his current status; once Goedert is healthy it's right back to 12 personnel with Ertz and Goedert. He feels like a two week and pray type of guy...
You're very likely right.  But I've also thought this about a lot of guys and passed on them in waivers and kicked myself for it.  If it's only for 2 weeks then that's fine and may be likely, but I don't wanna be the one that misses out if Djax gets hurt again and Goedert is out until week 11, and Jeffrey sucks once he eventually comes back.

Of course it's all relative.  He is 100% worth a $1 bid and 100% not worth a $100 bid.... so exactly what dollar amount you value him at and turns out to be a good value is up in the air.

I picked him up. $0 FAAB lottery ticket. I generally think Alshon comes back and receives a decent amount of playing time, not sure what he will do with it. Desean is so unreliable, both physically and for fantasy. 

The Eagles strength of schedule really opens up after this week's game against Baltimore. (NYG (2), DAL(2), CLE, AZ, SEA). Those are some pretty poor pass defenses. There will be points to be had. 

You're very likely right.  But I've also thought this about a lot of guys and passed on them in waivers and kicked myself for it.  If it's only for 2 weeks then that's fine and may be likely, but I don't wanna be the one that misses out if Djax gets hurt again and Goedert is out until week 11, and Jeffrey sucks once he eventually comes back.

Of course it's all relative.  He is 100% worth a $1 bid and 100% not worth a $100 bid.... so exactly what dollar amount you value him at and turns out to be a good value is up in the air.
After thinking about it... I put a $9 bid for him (18% of my current FAAB) just to see if I could get him yesterday. He went for the only other bidder for $11.

I hope to yell "Fulgham" at least 8 times this weekend.
If he goes off it'll be "Fulgeeee" for me. Just need him this week and maybe next. I'll be content with anything over 10 pts in ppr but hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

Main threat to Fulgham's role is Jeffrey. They are essentially the same player, except one is old, beat down and has been paid already, while the other is young, healthy and has a belly growl that I can hear from my couch when I watch him play.

Main threat to Fulgham's role is Jeffrey. They are essentially the same player, except one is old, beat down and has been paid already, while the other is young, healthy and has a belly growl that I can hear from my couch when I watch him play.
One works his ### off, the other collects paychecks for nothing. The FO needs to wake up and cut the fat.

Users who are viewing this thread