What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you are Jerry Jones (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Dak heals to 100%. He makes a full recovery. 

Meanwhile, Dalton not only performs well, but exceeds expectations. Cowboys finish with 9 wins, and win at least 1 playoff game.

You’re Jerry Jones. What do you do at QB for 2021? 

Meanwhile, Dalton not only performs well, but exceeds expectations. Cowboys finish with 9 wins, and win at least 1 playoff game.

Sign Dak to a large contract.  

dalton leads the team to 9 wins because of the great weapons around him. Dak brings them to the next level above that. 
2 cents

If I'm Jerry Jones, I get a personal trainer and do as much cardio as I can and get in the best shape I can at 78.

Then I surround myself with as many strippers as I can, on one of my yachts for the next few years, and forget about football and enjoy my strippers and 8+ billion instead.

Oh, football.

The smartest thing is to probably  see what Dak looks like going into next season.

(That said, I think he makes a strong recovery)  He may not quite be 100% again, but 95% of Dak is good enough to help that team for years.

I need to get a yacht.

TZM

It's not just up to Jones, other teams could offer more. 

I have serious doubts that he's going to sign top 3 QB money that he was very stuck on before.

If the above scenario happens, Jones offers Dak a big contract (not near what he wants though) and Dak makes the decision to sign elsewhere or there.  I think this will be eye opening for Dak and he will accept less now.  For 30-33M/year, he will be set for life.

If I'm Jerry Jones, I get a personal trainer and do as much cardio as I can and get in the best shape I can at 78.

Then I surround myself with as many strippers as I can, on one of my yachts for the next few years, and forget about football and enjoy my strippers and 8+ billion instead.
This

Oh , also sign Dak and let Dalton walk and get a 3rd rd comp pick (I think)

This is a data point I was hoping would be brought up. What does Jerry do when other teams back up the Brinks truck? 

It’s going to be an Interesting offseason. 
I am curious what other teams would be interested.  Going through the teams, what teams won't have a high draft pick that may want to spend a massive amount on Dak to become their QB?

I am curious what other teams would be interested.  Going through the teams, what teams won't have a high draft pick that may want to spend a massive amount on Dak to become their QB?
I’m watching one right now. Saints won’t have a high pick. Dak has to be an upgrade from Brees at this stage of Brees career. They have Hill & Jameis? 

At the contract he’ll demand? Bidding war with another team?  I can think of several possible landing spots. 
Raiders
Steelers
Titans
Colts
Panthers

Is all I can think of.  Who do you have in mind?

EDIT:  Have no idea the salary situations of these teams but it has to be somewhere with a LOT of room

Last edited by a moderator:
At the contract he’ll demand? Bidding war with another team?  I can think of several possible landing spots. 
I hear ya.....but the reality is he may not be the same, and Dallas needs to build up their D, so maybe you let him walk......BUT it's gm Jerrah so at the end of the day he's gonna go for the shiny toys and not field a complete team anyway

Raiders
Steelers
Titans
Colts
Panthers
Carr playing lights out. 

Steelers is a legit possibility. I could see that.

Titans just gave Tannehill a big contract, no?

Colts could definitely be a fit. Especially with how questionably the Phillip Rivers experience has been. 

Teddy looks like he could be a very good QB in CAR. 

I hear ya.....but the reality is he may not be the same, and Dallas needs to build up their D, so maybe you let him walk......BUT it's gm Jerrah so at the end of the day he's gonna go for the shiny toys and not field a complete team anyway
He didn’t hurt his arm. :shrug:  

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Carr playing lights out. 

Steelers is a legit possibility. I could see that.

Titans just gave Tannehill a big contract, no?

Colts could definitely be a fit. Especially with how questionably the Phillip Rivers experience has been. 

Teddy looks like he could be a very good QB in CAR. 
Ya so just Steelers or Colts seem likely.  Not sure their cap situations

Deamon said:
Raiders
Steelers
Titans
Colts
Panthers

Is all I can think of.  Who do you have in mind?

EDIT:  Have no idea the salary situations of these teams but it has to be somewhere with a LOT of room
Only one on that list that can currently afford him is the Colts. Saints were mentioned but they are projected over the cap by a hilariously massive amount. Obviously many teams will make lots of moves to get under next year, and who knows what will happen if the cap goes down as predicted due to COVID.

Based on projected cap space, top cap space teams with a QB need:

Jags

Colts

Jets

Pats

WFT

Only one on that list that can currently afford him is the Colts. Saints were mentioned but they are projected over the cap by a hilariously massive amount. Obviously many teams will make lots of moves to get under next year, and who knows what will happen if the cap goes down as predicted due to COVID.

Based on projected cap space, top cap space teams with a QB need:

Jags

Colts

Jets

Pats

WFT
And have to think any team with a top pick would rather a first round young cheap qb over Dak.

Colts or Pats are the only teams I could see going for him.

And have to think any team with a top pick would rather a first round young cheap qb over Dak.

Cowboys are around mid-range for Cap Space, and Jerry somehow manages to manipulate the cap to his advantage every year so they could likely afford to make him a solid offer.

Cowboys are around mid-range for Cap Space, and Jerry somehow manages to manipulate the cap to his advantage every year so they could likely afford to make him a solid offer.
Ya and I'm not sure I see Bill going after him for a long term deal.  I think it'll be Colts or Cowboys.  But not over 35/year.

Assuming full (or near full) recovery, Jerry should get a long term deal done. You don't want that bad mojo hanging over your team. They paid a frigging LB but not the franchise QB?

I think Dalton will play well, but Dak has intangibles that Dalton does not.

Pay da' man.

How much?
We keep coming back go this question. :lol:  

I would probably pay him $30 a year, 5 years, 3 guaranteed with a player option then a team option  years 4 & 5, respectively.

Dak reportedly wanted 45M in the 5th year of the contract DAL was negotiating?  That’s....a lot. and seems far apart, 

Dalton doesn't really factor in. He's not a long-term solution. 

The only way he does factor in is his performance will help determine what their 1st rd pick looks like. That might make getting (or trading for) a QB easier or harder. Jones will look at the landscape and look for the best QB possible. Good chance that's Dak. 

Either way, from a PR standpoint, he can't be seen as disrespecting the guy. Dak isn't a jerk, his teammates love him and he's made the team respectable. So he has to offer something fair and seen as respecting his ability. 

If Dak is ready to go to start the season, I think you offer him a long-term deal at a discount, and maybe make it look like the previous deal with incentives. But the deal he rejected won't be on the table imo. 

We keep coming back go this question. :lol:  

I would probably pay him $30 a year, 5 years, 3 guaranteed with a player option then a team option 4 & 5.

Dak reportedly wanted 45M in the 5th year of the contract DAL was negotiating?  That’s....a lot. and seems far apart, 
ya everyone is just saying "pay him and keep him" but not going into numbers.  Those who are saying pay him, would you make him the 2nd highest paid QB in nfl history?

Pay him what he's worth to your franchise. Pay him enough NOT to sit out or walk. Pay him NOT to be starting for the Washington Team or the NYG down the road.
Again, how much?  If another team offered him the 40/year that he wants, you think it would be smart for Jerry to give him 40/year?

The Cowboys likely get Dak at a discount.  If I am Jerry, I lock Dak up long term.  If I am Dak, I lament the injury which cost an even bigger payday, but I am not seriously looking to play elsewhere.  Dallas has the offensive players in place to allow Dak to put up gaudy numbers, plus the team to challenge for a title.  Dak wants to stay in Dallas.  Jerry wants Dak at the helm.  It gets done.

Assuming full (or near full) recovery, Jerry should get a long term deal done. You don't want that bad mojo hanging over your team. They paid a frigging LB but not the franchise QB?

I think Dalton will play well, but Dak has intangibles that Dalton does not.

Pay da' man.
I'm tired of this narrative that Jerry didn't pay Dak. Jerry offered a VERY generous contract to Dak and Dak declined. That's not on Jerry. It's called negotiating and Dak looks to have made a bad decision. But don't blame Jerry, and make Dak out to be the victim. Dak is an adult and now can live with the consequences of his greedy and risky decision. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Is Dak’s arm his best weapon? What makes Dak special is his combination of speed and arm.

In fact I’d say his legs are his best weapon because it opens things up for his arm

I'm tired of this narrative that Jerry didn't pay Dak. Jerry offered a VERY generous contract to Dak and Dak declined. That's not on Jerry. It's called negotiating and Dak looks to have made a bad decision. But don't blame Jerry, and make Dak out to be the victim. Dak is an adult and now can live with the consequences of his greedy and risky decision. 
Generous is subjective.

As a Cowboys hater, I am rooting for them to blow it and lose Dak. Good luck hoisting the Lombardi with their franchise linebacker.

Generous is subjective.

As a Cowboys hater, I am rooting for them to blow it and lose Dak. Good luck hoisting the Lombardi with their franchise linebacker.
It's a business. It's negotiations. Just don't make Dak out to be the victim here. He got greedy and now he needs to face the consequences. He fully knew the risks of his decision. 

It's a business. It's negotiations. Just don't make Dak out to be the victim here. He got greedy and now he needs to face the consequences. He fully knew the risks of his decision. 
Sounds like it will work out for everyone.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
A large part of who Dak is - has to do with his scrambling ability and large frame.  If he plays scared and no longer provides the mobility he did - he could be a shell of himself.  I just look at players like Dante Culpepper, who sustained lower body injuries and were just never able to provide the same explosiveness on the field again.  I'm a Cowboys fan and hope Dak pulls through, but time to prepare for life after Dak Prescott and certainly will not get into a bidding war for him.  

Hot Sauce Guy said:

Try to reasonably sign Dak, knowing that you have leverage that Dalton performed great and that I can sign him for a lot less.

If you can reasonably sign Dak, then thank Dalton for saving the 2020 season and let him walk, as some QB needy team will sign him to compete as their starter.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Right, but he's a mobile QB, and footwork is paramount......that is a devastating injury

I spose as long as he rehabs it correctly and has good ROM, it won't be an issue.....might cause him pain, and eventually it'll prolly get arthritic....that ankle is now full of metal, and will never be quite the same.

Maybe. We know the teams who are in position to draft lawrence and fields are doing so (lock with TL, maybe not with fields)  After that, it's not that hard to envision a team signing Dak and drafting defense, OT, or WR. 

let's say the Jags pick around 5-10 and Minshaw isn't their long term guy. It might be better for them to sign Dak. Of course I don't think Dak leaves Dallas anyway, but from the jaguars perspective it could work.

All y’all - I am aware Dak runs, thank you. See OP where the premise is Dak makes a full recovery, 100%.

I agree, it’s possible he doesn’t. This injury is touch & go for a little while to see if infection sets in. Having the bone exposed is dangerous. See: Alex Smith. 

But assuming he heals up 100%, what do you do if your JJones? 

The Cowboys likely get Dak at a discount.  If I am Jerry, I lock Dak up long term.  If I am Dak, I lament the injury which cost an even bigger payday, but I am not seriously looking to play elsewhere.  Dallas has the offensive players in place to allow Dak to put up gaudy numbers, plus the team to challenge for a title.  Dak wants to stay in Dallas.  Jerry wants Dak at the helm.  It gets done.
Why would Dak take a discount? He was gonna throw for 6000 yards and 50 TDs this year before he got hurt.

what number did you have in mind? 30M? Dak already turned that down. 40 mil/5 with 45 in the 5th? (What he reportedly was asking for) 

Everyone saying he stays in DAL, very few saying how much Jerry Jones pays him. That’s a really big part of the question here.

it’s not like contract talks were going swimmingly before. 

Right, but he's a mobile QB, and footwork is paramount......that is a devastating injury

I spose as long as he rehabs it correctly and has good ROM, it won't be an issue.....might cause him pain, and eventually it'll prolly get arthritic....that ankle is now full of metal, and will never be quite the same.
Yeah this is the biggest part being forgotten... it’s not like he’s back to normal once fully recovered. He will never be the same. The ankle is such a small/tight area to begin with. Now insert a bunch of metal that the body starts a slow process of arthritis and loosening to reject. His career isn’t over, but he won’t be 100% the same (who knows if it’s 80%, 95% or 99%). For a QB who uses his legs just as much as his arm this is a huge deal from a physical standpoint but also from a psychological standpoint. Don’t want him to end up like Wentz and get the yips when it comes to running. 

That all being said- if I’m Jones, there’s no way I’m not making every effort to resign Dak. If a team like the Colts or the Jags back up the dump truck for him, so be it, but I won’t have any ragrets when it’s all said and done

I think the mostly likely (and prudent) move is to franchise Dak again in 2021 and see how he performs. Dalton would have to play lights out and win a couple playoff games to be in their long term plans as he will command a healthy new contract.

I think the mostly likely (and prudent) move is to franchise Dak again in 2021 and see how he performs. Dalton would have to play lights out and win a couple playoff games to be in their long term plans as he will command a healthy new contract.
Honestly I don't think they could have franchised him if he never got hurt, would have been a struggle for sure to have him count $37M.

It's going to be interesting because Dak's recovery is expected to be 6-9 months and FA is here in just 5 months. I feel strongly that the only way Dak would accept a long term contract with reduced pay over injury concerns would be if he did not recover and I do not expect that to be the case. Surgery went well, no reported nerve damage, risk of infection is low.

What I think Dallas plan will be: try and convince Dak to accept a one year deal  under the franchise tag amount, with assurances provided to him that he won't be franchise tagged again after the 2021 season. They can try and convince Dak this will give him the season to put injury concerns aside, give him a big second payday and push his career earnings over $50M, and hit UFA as a 29 year old,  if he's not extended later in the season.

What I think Dak will do when Dallas takes this approach: have his agent get feelers on what he'd get on the open market. I see a team like the Colts who have basically everything in place but a good QB and will be shedding like over $50M in QB designated cap space after this season as one of many teams who would give Dak options to not need to accept a lower one year offer from Dallas.  Dak's agent will try and convince teams that a young QB of this magnitude has never reached the FA market and if he can find that team willing to not leverage Dak's injury on him he'll use that leverage on Dallas either for the long term deal Dak wants or for a higher one year deal that will let Dak hit UFA in 2022.

This is what I expect to happen BEFORE open FA hits. If Dak is a UFA heading into the opening of FA it's going to be very interesting. I really don't think he'd have one iota of an issue obtaining the long term contract he wanted from Dallas or someone else if FA opened in July but his recovery won't be until 1-3 months after FA starts so that might push him to a one year deal, and not necessarily with Dallas.

Users who are viewing this thread