What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dexter - Showtime (1 Viewer)

Cjw_55106

Footballguy
Has to be a thread somewhere, but alas, I couldn't find it.

10-episode Dexter limited series that will reunite star Michael C. Hall and original showrunner Clyde Phillips. The show will be a continuation of the original, eight-season series, which ended in 2013 with Hall's Dexter Morgan going on self-imposed exile as a lumberjack and living a solitary life.

Has it really been 7 years? Dang, time flies. But probably took at least that long to let all the disappointment in how the series ended to die down. It took what, something like 14 years to get more X-Files so I guess they are beating that timeline.

Would be interesting if they brought Jennifer Carpenter's character back to maybe play a new version of Harry in Dexter's head.

Has it really been 7 years? Dang, time flies. But probably took at least that long to let all the disappointment in how the series ended to die down. It took what, something like 14 years to get more X-Files so I guess they are beating that timeline.

Would be interesting if they brought Jennifer Carpenter's character back to maybe play a new version of Harry in Dexter's head.
Hey Mike, we have this idea about you reprising a an old role that ended ####tily..   Oh, and you get to work with your ex-wife again.

I sure as heck hope not.  Worst actress in the entire series...  and that's saying something

I think this has a chance to be good only because they can completely scrap the old cast, except for Dex, and introduce new and interesting characters.  I would rather see his brother, Rudi, be the voice in his head.  

Hey Mike, we have this idea about you reprising a an old role that ended ####tily..   Oh, and you get to work with your ex-wife again.
They supposedly remained good friends after the divorce and worked together for multiple seasons after it so that doesn’t matter much.

And meh, I didn’t have a problem with the characters or the acting all that much, the reason the show cratered was because the writing turned into absolute #### with them churning through a new writers staff and different producers nearly every season after 4. That’s why you had stupid crap like a whole season of bad side plots of Quinn going off the rails and fighting with Batista and going to be reassigned to another precinct in a season finale only to then them magically making up best of friends in the 1st episode of the next season. Batista & LaGuerta getting divorced offscreen after spending two seasons on their relationship. Some intern dude stalking Dexter, banging Batista’s niece, and then randomly killed off a few episodes into the next season. A whole season on some new detective character who also gets killed off right at the beginning of the next season. Dexter getting away with killing guys inside freaking airports! That’s #### writing and show direction, it makes current version The Walking Dead look like Shakespeare.

This has a chance to be good because Clyde Phillips is involved again. Clyde left as show runner and so did the head writer after the first 4 amazing seasons, then they cycled through new show runners and different writers after that, no surprise it went downhill so quickly.

They supposedly remained good friends after the divorce and worked together for multiple seasons after it so that doesn’t matter much.

And meh, I didn’t have a problem with the characters or the acting all that much, the reason the show cratered was because the writing turned into absolute #### with them churning through a new writers staff and different producers nearly every season after 4. That’s why you had stupid crap like a whole season of bad side plots of Quinn going off the rails and fighting with Batista and going to be reassigned to another precinct in a season finale only to then them magically making up best of friends in the 1st episode of the next season. Batista & LaGuerta getting divorced offscreen after spending two seasons on their relationship. Some intern dude stalking Dexter, banging Batista’s niece, and then randomly killed off a few episodes into the next season. A whole season on some new detective character who also gets killed off right at the beginning of the next season. Dexter getting away with killing guys inside freaking airports! That’s #### writing and show direction, it makes current version The Walking Dead look like Shakespeare.

This has a chance to be good because Clyde Phillips is involved again. Clyde left as show runner and so did the head writer after the first 4 amazing seasons, then they cycled through new show runners and different writers after that, no surprise it went downhill so quickly.
First 4 season are some of my favorite TV of all time.  Season 5 wasn't terrible.  Seasons 6-8 declined as expected.  I'm one who actually liked the last episode, mostly because Deb died.  I have a blind spot of hate for that character.  

I said I would like to see Rudi be the voice in his head because I think it would be interesting to see him get back to his base need to kill, and balancing that with his base need to survive.  The show got away from that way too much.    

Any guesses where the show will take place?  Oregon?  Alaska?  Minnesota?  Someone has read the books, but that might not mean much.

Did they change show-runners during the show at some point?  Would certainly explain the huge swing in quality if so.
yes, he left after season 4, which I would say was basically the end of the time when you could argue that the show was "great".  The last few seasons, the show was run by people who came on later and who, imo, we more like fans of the show than true creative forces.

honestly, i'm not sure that I ever really liked any character on the show other than Dexter.  But he was so great that it didn't matter.

I guess Rudi was pretty cool, but not that involved for the whole course of the series, obviously.

yes, he left after season 4, which I would say was basically the end of the time when you could argue that the show was "great".  The last few seasons, the show was run by people who came on later and who, imo, we more like fans of the show than true creative forces.
Yeah that fits the fall-offs in the show pretty much to a tee.

Seasons 1-4 were absolute peak.  Season 5 was a huge step down from that as was season 6 and then seasons 7/8 were completely off the map laughable garbage.

It'd be funny if they made no reference to the prior show, shot it in black and white, had no dialogue, and just followed Dexter as he chopped trees, sat by the river eating squirrel, and painted landscapes. 
I could see a Dexter/Six Feet Under mash-up, with Michael Hall killing dudes and funneling the business to the Fisher Funeral Home, which is collapsing under the weight of Nate Fisher's aging hipster malaise.

The return of Clyde Phillips gives me hope that this could be really good.  Maybe we will get the great ending we should have gotten years ago.

I also think it would great to see Rudy back as the voice in Dexter's head.  Deb wouldn't be nearly as interesting, although it feels like they almost have to find a way to get her back on the show one way or another.

Maybe they will pull a Dallas and it will turn out that Seasons 5-8 were a dream and this new final season picks up right where Season 4 ended.  No chance they do that, but I could get on board with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost Rider said:
The return of Clyde Phillips gives me hope that this could be really good.  Maybe we will get the great ending we should have gotten years ago.

I also think it would great to see Rudy back as the voice in Dexter's head.  Deb wouldn't be nearly as interesting, although it feels like they almost have to find a way to get her back on the show one way or another.

Maybe they will pull a Dallas and it will turn out that Seasons 5-8 were a dream and this new final season picks up right where Season 4 ended.  No chance they do that, but I could get on board with it.
Dexter did a lot of flash back memories, so that is one way they could easily work her (and other) characters back into the show.

I would be all for a complete dump of the old cast, with the obvious exception of MCH.  

I'll watch it either way.  I am interested to see how they pick it up and I can't imagine they would try it without having a really good story line to pursue.  Full disclosure, I said the same thing about the Indiana Jones Series.   :bag:

A very good show.

But one thing I could never figure out is why nearly every guy seemed to fall in love with Dexter's sister.  :shrug:

crazy ...I started rewatching and it's been great because I don't remember much of it at all.  

I'm toward the end of season 3 with the ADA Jimmy.

I'm trying to forget @Caesar spoiler - thanks buddy.  

Quite a few spoilers have hit the net in the last few weeks, specifically around cast as well as some minor details on plot and approach such as they are not rewriting the original finale or changing anything from the original show but they are planning on this being more of a second finale (hopefully much better this time!) Based on the casting news, there are either going to be a lot of flashbacks, a rotating persona for Dexter’s Dark Passenger, or something crazy going on.

No release date yet, but expected this fall (possibly October or November.)

I don't have Showtime, and I don't plan on paying for it anytime soon.  I will binge this somehow when it becomes available.

I waited this long. 

Reviews I have read are a little mixed, but it was never a show to take too seriously anyway.

A few episodes in now. First one was pretty weak but getting a bit better. No where near top notch Dexter but good enough. Don’t overthink it. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
A few episodes in now. First one was pretty weak but getting a bit better. No where near top notch Dexter but good enough. Don’t overthink it. 
Agreed.  It's good so far. Not great, but good.  Not thrilled about the teen angst part of it, and Deb as his dark passenger is largely annoying, but I am interested to see where this goes and how it ends.  My prediction is that Harrison dies somehow and Dexter has to go on living knowing that another loved one died because of the way he is, but that seems almost too obvious. 

Agreed.  It's good so far. Not great, but good.  Not thrilled about the teen angst part of it, and Deb as his dark passenger is largely annoying, but I am interested to see where this goes and how it ends.  My prediction is that Harrison dies somehow and Dexter has to go on living knowing that another loved one died because of the way he is, but that seems almost too obvious. 
They are doing a good job with setting up the next episodes and compounding issues for Dexter. I’ve got some ideas on the story and the have done a good job of mixing in obvious stuff and some twists I think.

My wife picked out one of the big things revealed in tonight’s episode that she picked up on last week that was pretty obvious in retrospect. 

I’m definitely finishing it out and have settled into it being a bit cheesy.

His new girlfriend looks exactly like Deb which is a bit weird if not intentional.

His new girlfriend looks exactly like Deb which is a bit weird if not intentional.

Right? I can't decide if we're supposed to read something into this or not. That dead-straight hair, cheekbones, etc... they couldn't have not noticed, right?

She resembles her from a distance, but up close not nearly as much. 

The original series of Dexter would pretend to ignore the similarity all season long, then, at some crucial moment, Dex would be in some situation where he gets the two of them confused and think they've played the audience into some 🤯 oh wow headsplode 🤯  moment that we-didn't-see-coming!-but-oh-yeah-it-was-blindingly-obvious-since-episode-1.

So... let's see how the new people do. I don't have high expectations.

The original series of Dexter would pretend to ignore the similarity all season long, then, at some crucial moment, Dex would be in some situation where he gets the two of them confused and think they've played the audience into some 🤯 oh wow headsplode 🤯  moment that we-didn't-see-coming!-but-oh-yeah-it-was-blindingly-obvious-since-episode-1.

So... let's see how the new people do. I don't have high expectations.
This is what I am guessing will happen with the new GF.

The show is def a watered down version of the great seasons 1-4 but that was a high bar.

Users who are viewing this thread