What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Thursday Football (1 Viewer)

I am fine with limiting it to opening night and then not bringing it back until Thanksgiving
Not a fan of Tuesday games & waivers a day later either

Seriously hate the over saturation. Thursday night, London a.m. games (non-pandemic years), 3 game times Sunday, and now this year, MNF doubleheader’s + Tuesday games.

I would prefer they played a Friday Night game at the old MNF time which was 9pm on the East, people are usually off and not everyone is out whooping it up, they would have a captive audience IMO. 

It wouldn't tax the players quite as much as a TNF game. 

No matter how much I rip it, I like football on Thursday.

I'd rather have it Friday, but no way is the commish going head-to-head with Friday Night Lights. 

I would prefer they played a Friday Night game at the old MNF time which was 9pm on the East, people are usually off and not everyone is out whooping it up, they would have a captive audience IMO. 

No matter how much I rip it, I like football on Thursday.

I'd rather have it Friday, but no way is the commish going head-to-head with Friday Night Lights. 
Bingo.

You don’t pit the pros against the town watching their boys in person. High school football is sacred. Don’t mess with tradition.

I'd rather have more afternoon Sunday games, personally
I kinda like the afternoon not being overloaded.  It's when I first start looking at Fantasy after a crazy morning of channel flipping.

I'd be into 1 MNF games every week, those have been fun.

1 Thurs Night
7 Sun Morn
5 Sun Afternoon
1 Sun Night
2 Mon Night

I kinda like the afternoon not being overloaded.  It's when I first start looking at Fantasy after a crazy morning of channel flipping.

I'd be into 1 MNF games every week, those have been fun.

1 Thurs Night
7 Sun Morn
5 Sun Afternoon
1 Sun Night
2 Mon Night
I'd be fine ditching Thursday, if we can keep these Monday double headers. 

I'd prefer:

8 Sun Morn

5 Sun Afternoon

1 sun Night

2 Mon night

I'd be fine ditching Thursday, if we can keep these Monday double headers. 

I'd prefer:

8 Sun Morn

5 Sun Afternoon

1 sun Night

2 Mon night
The MNF Doubleheader is just too good. I know a lot of us DON'T have to be in the office Tue Morning right away so for many it is a lot of fun right now and an escape from some of the circus going on out there. I couldn't be a bigger fan of this and think they need to go with Doubleheaders for all Monday Nights, and perhaps they could limit Thursday night games to Once a Month and make them a Special Prime Time event and not Washington vs the Giants. Give me Mahomes vs the Patriots or Rodgers vs the Rams but make it a special game or event that people want to tune in for and make it a celebration and not a chore for folks.   

I enjoy the idea of Thursday Night Football, because I like watching live NFL Football in general...but from a practical standpoint, it sucks, because it negatively affects the quality of the game. I"ve mentioned it before, but I had involvement with the training staff of the football team while attending Penn State in the 80's-90's, and have a close friend who was an athletic trainer for the Redskins for almost a decade during the '00-'10's. Guys who play for elite college programs and in the NFL are 100% absolutely PROGRAMMED to optimally function  when on a regimented schedule structure, and when that programming is interrupted, there is fallout of some degree. The majority of Thursday Night Football games are substanard products, and if the League was really concerned about it's Players, they wouldn't be turning them around to play on 3 days recovery/rest/preparation.

NFL football, IMO, is a weekend activity, and I'd be all for both Sunday, AND Monday NIght doubleheaders, to spread things out over the weekend. Leave Fridays for the HS kids, and weekdays/Saturdays to the collegians.

I know this is going to get no love here, but over the past decade, my love for college football has surpassed that for NFL. I wouldn't have any problem if they scheduled marquee college matchups on Thanksgiving, instead of NFL.

If Thurs PM NFL football has to be played, I don't see why they couldn't make the minimal effort to only play it on week 1, and then only during the bye week portion of the schedule containiing bye weeks, and every Team playing on Thursday is coming off their bye.

That's what I'd like to see: 32 Teams, 8 4-Team Bye Weeks, Thurs PM doubleheaders featuring the 4 Teams coming off their bye, so we'd have Thurs PM football from Week 5 through Week 12. Wherever Thanksgiving falls in that period, you give Detroit and Dallas that bye every year along with the 2 Teams facing them. I think Those Thanksgiving games should be Divisional matchups, too. Det v GB/Minn/Chi and Dal v Wash/NYG/Phi...

So, end product: 2 Thursday PM Games between Weeks 5-12, X # of games on Sunday early/late, Sunday doubleheader, Monday doubleheader. Compact and easy.

no.

I don't understand this philosophy.  If you don't like it, don't watch it?  It's not like if they added the TNF game to Sunday morning you'd be able to watch any more of it anyways.
Because the games suck. It's  bad for the players. It's bad for fantasy. Good $ for the NFL so it isn't going anywhere and I'm not lobbying. Anyway I agree with the bolded. And it is ok. You don't have to agree. 

Seriously hate the over saturation. Thursday night, London a.m. games (non-pandemic years), 3 game times Sunday, and now this year, MNF doubleheader’s + Tuesday games.
Yep. The only time I really enjoy the extra NFL is when they have Saturday games when college ends
As "get off my lawn!" as it is ... the NFL's televised schedule throughout the early 1980s was perfect.

- Sunday early afternoon
- Sunday late afternoon
- Monday Night Football
- Saturday afternoon games for two weeks in December
- Wild Card Weekend was one game Saturday, one game Sunday**.
- Divisional Round was two Saturday games, two Sunday games
- Conference Championships and, of course, the Super Bowl were on Sunday

** For some years in the 80s, both games were on Sunday. In 1988, to avoid playing a Wild Card game on Christmas Day, the Vikings hosted a Monday night Wild Card game. The Vikings won, but had to travel to SF on a short week to get pasted 34-9.

... perhaps they could limit Thursday night games to Once a Month and make them a Special Prime Time event and not Washington vs the Giants. Give me Mahomes vs the Patriots or Rodgers vs the Rams but make it a special game or event that people want to tune in for and make it a celebration and not a chore for folks. 
That was a prime matchup in the 1980s :)

Once-a-month TNF would presumably make it easier to tie in with bye weeks. No more games on three-days rest.

Because the games suck. It's  bad for the players. It's bad for fantasy. Good $ for the NFL so it isn't going anywhere and I'm not lobbying. Anyway I agree with the bolded. And it is ok. You don't have to agree. 
I believe someone on here did a study a year or so ago that showed there were no real differences between the TNF games and Sunday games.  Basically all the league averages held true within a reasonable margin of error on Thursdays.  People just notice the teams playing poorly more because they're in prime time and unlike SNF/MNF it's not limited to only good teams (every team gets to play TNF whereas SNF/MNF are specifically picked out to be good games).

If the 9ers had played on Thursday last week everyone would be blaming it on Thursday instead of blaming it on the 9ers sucking.  This Sunday's slate has Bengals/Colts, Lions/Jags, Bears/Panthers, Giants/Redskins etc.  I'm sure there will be plenty of bad football in there to go around.

As "get off my lawn!" as it is ... the NFL's televised schedule throughout the early 1980s was perfect.

- Sunday early afternoon
- Sunday late afternoon
- Monday Night Football
- Saturday afternoon games for two weeks in December
- Wild Card Weekend was one game Saturday, one game Sunday**.
- Divisional Round was two Saturday games, two Sunday games
- Conference Championships and, of course, the Super Bowl were on Sunday

** For some years in the 80s, both games were on Sunday. In 1988, to avoid playing a Wild Card game on Christmas Day, the Vikings hosted a Monday night Wild Card game. The Vikings won, but had to travel to SF on a short week to get pasted 34-9.
Why would 3 games a week being shown be better than 5-6 (or unlimited if you have direct tv) and a red zone channel? That doesn’t make any sense at all. People need to stop romanticizing the past. There is no world where 3 games on a 25” tv in a giant wooden box was better than unlimited games on a giant hi-def screen. 

It’s good for the players because it makes them more money. The salary cap is tied into revenue. The players may not like playing them but they aren’t going to be ok with giving that money away either. 

There is no world where 3 games on a 25” tv in a giant wooden box was better than unlimited games on a giant hi-def screen. 
On a personal level, there are absolutely worlds where the former trounces the latter. But then, the "better world" metric I'm employing is not necessarily  "availability of NFL games".

On a personal level, there are absolutely worlds where the former trounces the latter. But then, the "better world" metric I'm employing is not necessarily  "availability of NFL games".
I’m curious then, what is it? Just a longing for the past? 

Given The NFL is only in week 6 and we have seen Tuesday night football, and the virus numbers seem to be spiking ,within the next 4 weeks we may see

more Tuesday night football, some wednesday night football,multiple games on Thursday night,a pinch or two of Friday night football and even a game starting at midnight on Sunday night,played on the west coast of course. Did I mention Saturday? :banned:

Because the games suck. It's  bad for the players. It's bad for fantasy.
Why do the games suck?  Because of the matchups?  They'd be playing those games on Sunday still... so if it's an awful game you can just not watch like you wouldn't watch that game on a Sunday.

Why is it bad for the players?  It makes them more money.

Why is it bad for fantasy?  There's studies that prove there's no less fantasy points scored on Thurs night games vs other games.

Why do the games suck?  Because of the matchups?  They'd be playing those games on Sunday still... so if it's an awful game you can just not watch like you wouldn't watch that game on a Sunday. 

Why is it bad for fantasy?  There's studies that prove there's no less fantasy points scored on Thurs night games vs other games.
It is a nightmare of a management headache for fantasy purposes (especially this year more than others of course), and for me as a commish in one league in particular. It is bad for the players because of the injury risk and because of the competitive disadvantages that are built into it in terms of which team is coming off more rest, etc. And yes matchups are often terrible. I feel like it has gotten better in recent years but fundamentally I don't need there to be football on Thursday nights. It *is* a personal preference thing. I don't actually have to justify it. I would like the NFL a *lot* better if there wasn't TNF. Yes I know I don't have to watch it. That comment is 100% useless to this conversation. The topic is literally "No Thursday Football". Of course I'm going to watch but I'm saying I don't like it. It is *mostly* for selfish fantasy reasons for me. 

I hear you on that, that was nowhere near where I was going with it. 

It is a nightmare of a management headache for fantasy purposes (especially this year more than others of course), and for me as a commish in one league in particular. It is bad for the players because of the injury risk and because of the competitive disadvantages that are built into it in terms of which team is coming off more rest, etc. And yes matchups are often terrible. I feel like it has gotten better in recent years but fundamentally I don't need there to be football on Thursday nights. It *is* a personal preference thing. I don't actually have to justify it. I would like the NFL a *lot* better if there wasn't TNF. Yes I know I don't have to watch it. That comment is 100% useless to this conversation. The topic is literally "No Thursday Football". Of course I'm going to watch but I'm saying I don't like it. It is *mostly* for selfish fantasy reasons for me. 
I commish 2 leagues and I have seen zero effect on commish duties due to Thursday games.  Has anyone else had commish issues because of these games?  I don't really see how it is bad for fantasy.

As for injuries, ya I can see how that can be bad.  Every team in the NFL has 1 Thursday Night game though so everyone gets to be in the same boat once.

I think overall though there are more advantages than disadvantages.  The matchups can suck but with every team having to have one, of course the bad teams are going to be included in the games, so you can't just have great games every week on Thursdays.

I was not happy about it. I want TNF & TuNF every week. 

That said last week was 5 days of stress in a tight matchup with 5-0 on the line in my IDP.

Gonna be intense having a game decided in 2 days by comparison. 

And of course both my opponent & I have 1 player on SNF & another 4 each on MNF. 
:pickle:

let’s gooooooo week 6! 

I’m curious then, what is it? Just a longing for the past? 
Not strictly. What I meant by "personal" was that my own satisfaction criteria may or may not have much in common with others.

Getting down to the individual level, where the individual is me: I have too much going on in my life to take advantage of any extra NFL broadcasts. Watching the Saints once a week, if you ask some in my household, is a tremendous indulgence to me. Just relaxing and watching a random matchup on a Thursday night or a Sunday night or whenever is more or less out of the question except for in stolen moments (e.g. others in the house are asleep).

So, even with more football available in general today, more football was available to me when I was a kid, teen, and young man -- even before Sunday night and  Thursday broadcasts were a thing. Make no mistake, though -- if they had Thursday Night Football back in the day, I'd have partaken and enjoyed it just fine.

I really wish Baskin Robbins only had the five flavors I liked.  It annoys me knowing that they have 31 flavors for some reason.

I get what you're saying and agree about the over-saturation, force over-extension to international games, etc. But I'm with @FreeBaGeL et al in saying that not having TNF feels empty somehow. Give me one more thing to look forward to in a $#!tty week.

This, and Super Bowl Saturday 
Both of these ideas are super solid.

Wonder if the NFL never moved to Friday as it would place pressure on high school ball attendance. Gotta keep the pipeline full, especially in the days of CTE awareness.

Users who are viewing this thread