What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (1 Viewer)

Here is my advice based on the movie draft results:

1. Draft based on however you think it will be judged and then accept that the judging will be the exact opposite of however you thought it would be judged.
  2. You will be disappointed in how your picks are judged
  3. If you are serious about how the judging is done you will be unhappy
  4. This is for fun so don't worry about it the first three statements and enjoy the process of learning about stuff you didn't know about and being introduced to shows you haven't seen.

ETA:  There will be judges that will say if it was up to them your pick would have been #1 in the category but unfortunately your pick will finish last for some reason that is still not clear.  Hahhahaaha
5.  Gally will complain more about judging than the rest of the drafters combined.  ;)  

Here is my advice based on the movie draft results:

1. Draft based on however you think it will be judged and then accept that the judging will be the exact opposite of however you thought it would be judged.
  2. You will be disappointed in how your picks are judged
  3. If you are serious about how the judging is done you will be unhappy
  4. This is for fun so don't worry about it the first three statements and enjoy the process of learning about stuff you didn't know about and being introduced to shows you haven't seen.

ETA:  There will be judges that will say if it was up to them your pick would have been #1 in the category but unfortunately your pick will finish last for some reason that is still not clear.  Hahhahaaha
usually the reason is "menace".

So the Category should actually say 19XX-19XX Lead Male Character in a Comedy?

ETA:  So you could actually pick Andy Griffith (Andy Griffith Show) as comedy character  and Ben Matlock (Matlock) for best detective so you are able to use the actor Andy Griffith in two different categories?
except he was a lawyer

1.01 The Wire - 91-20 Drama

Didn't expect to have a #1 pick so was prepared to go a totally different direction, but can't pass up what I consider to be one of the top shows in TV history.  Plus I really really love this show and just completed the 3rd re-watch not too long ago.  The only ding on this is the 5th/final season, but that may be a reoccurring theme I think...

Complaining?  I see it more as discussing the nuances of how a selection is viewed from various viewpoints.....hahhahahaa
I'd say you "discussed the nuances" more than any drafter in the history of timdrafts, but then I remembered the one guy who threatened to fly to Chicago and beat someone up over the ranking of Sgt. Pepper's.  You'll need to step up your game a bit to outdo him.  ;)   

I'd say you "discussed the nuances" more than any drafter in the history of timdrafts, but then I remembered the one guy who threatened to fly to Chicago and beat someone up over the ranking of Sgt. Pepper's.  You'll need to step up your game a bit to outdo him.  ;)   
Goals....hahaha

Add this to the draft "givens"
Hey, if I didn't start up conversations the drafts would be boring.  I honestly don't think I am complaining as much as trying to discuss the viewpoints.  I guess my tone in text doesn't convey that...……........and there are plenty more complainers out there.

I'd say you "discussed the nuances" more than any drafter in the history of timdrafts, but then I remembered the one guy who threatened to fly to Chicago and beat someone up over the ranking of Sgt. Pepper's You'll need to step up your game a bit to outdo him.  ;)   
What?  :lmao:

At least I have a fairly short drive for some fisticuffs with AD over movies.  

Pick 1.02  ------  Seinfeld (Comedy - 1991 to 2020)

Team GallStein had this rated as their #1 choice as it should win its category and be in consideration for the top spot in the GOAT category as well.   So many cultural references have been started from this show as it was unlike anything before it.  It's a show about nothing but yet fits into your everyday life.  A day doesn't go by when something happens that can't be referenced back to a Seinfeld episode.  From Master of your Domain, to Yada-yada, to they're Real and they're Spectacular everything was fair game...…..not that there is anything wrong with that.

This was an easy selection for Team GallStein

@timschochet you are on the clock

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say you "discussed the nuances" more than any drafter in the history of timdrafts, but then I remembered the one guy who threatened to fly to Chicago and beat someone up over the ranking of Sgt. Pepper's.
I've been trying to remember who all was involved with that. I remember the guy who was PO'd was an Alabama Crimson Tide fan. And wasn't it @higgins that he threatened to go rough up?

I couldn't even remember which draft it was in ... so Sgt. Pepper, hmm? Must've been the Great Works Draft (2009). I don't recall it being as recent as the Rock Draft (2010) or the Great British Draft (2012?).

I've been trying to remember who all was involved with that. I remember the guy who was PO'd was an Alabama Crimson Tide fan. And wasn't it @higgins that he threatened to go rough up?

I couldn't even remember which draft it was in ... so Sgt. Pepper, hmm? Must've been the Great Works Draft (2009). I don't recall it being as recent as the Rock Draft (2010) or the Great British Draft (2012?).
It was Krista’s man, Oliver Humanzee. He didn’t love Sgt Pepper. 

One interesting thing about older tv shows is how much better the comedies have held up relative to the dramas imo. I’ve been watching/rewatching 3 older comedies during quarantine and am really pleased with how entertaining they still are.

If OH was as snarky back then as he is now about the more ill-conceived solo Beatles songs, I could see how someone with no sense of humor or chill or ability to control themselves would get angry with him. But threatening to fly cross country to fight him? Holy hell, what is wrong with some people? 

If OH was as snarky back then as he is now about the more ill-conceived solo Beatles songs, I could see how someone with no sense of humor or chill or ability to control themselves would get angry with him. But threatening to fly cross country to fight him? Holy hell, what is wrong with some people? 
In defense of TidesOfWar, he wasn't going to make a special trip, but happened to be coming to Chicago for a charity golf tournament.  I'm not kidding about any of this.

And OH likes Sgt. Pepper's, but didn't give it the #1 rating the guy was certain it deserved.  OH was definitely as snarky as ever, too.

Thanks ... my immediate goal in life is to find those posts. You don't happen to remember the name of the aggrieved party, do you?
All right ... found 'em! Page 250 of the Great Works Draft.

Here's some shortcuts to the best bits. Some of TidesofWar's posts got deleted, but they survived through quotes in other people's posts:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/467331-official-great-works-draft/?do=findComment&comment=10535732

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/467331-official-great-works-draft/?do=findComment&comment=10535988

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/467331-official-great-works-draft/?do=findComment&comment=10536237

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/467331-official-great-works-draft/?do=findComment&comment=10536265

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/467331-official-great-works-draft/?do=findComment&comment=10536594

EDIT: On pg 251, after OH slags on Tim's Short Story selection (Shirley Jackson's The Lottery) : 

Oliver, if you're not going to put The Lottery high in the first tier, then pm me your address so that I can show up at your front door and you can tell me to my face that it doesn't belong there. I have to go to Chicago anyway for a charity Mixed Martial Arts event in which I am the headliner. After I have finished with that I will come to you. If not your house, anywhere you name within a 600 mile radius. Though I doubt you have the guts to show up.

My running list of shows I've never seen in this draft is going to be embarrassing.   I am guessing I don't bat much more than .500 in the 1st couple rounds.  

1.3 I Love Lucy- comedy, 1950-1980

Much like the first two picks, not much to say here. There is possibly ONE other show that might compete with this but I still would have Lucy as #1, easy. 
Not that I disagree, but I find this to be unwatchable now.  I did get may years of enjoyment out of it, but I now find the two leads to be just annoying.

(The scene with Harpo is a top favorite all-time.  Also the bit where a loaf of bread from the oven pins Lucy to the opposite wall of the kitchen.)

That 2009 draft must have been epic.  The address given for Harrison Stevens is in the bario in San Antonio.    It seems to be a defunct auto shop.  I'd have probably gone with 1060 W Addison.

If you need judges to volunteer for some categories, I am available. 

Unless, of course, you hated my film judging. 

Users who are viewing this thread