What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hot Water heater issue (1 Viewer)

offdee

Footballguy
Noticed not getting hot water this morning.  Go down to hot water heater and see no pilot light on. Relight pilot light perfectly fine and fire it up by turning temp up.  No issues at all for 10 minutes and then all flames just instantly go out (both the big heating flame and also the pilot light)

I tried this about 5 different times and each time...pilot light fires up immediately with a nice blue flame and good blaze when I turn up temp. Then like clockwork around 9-10mins it all just stops and pilot light out. 

What’s the deal here? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you watch it for 15 mins? No solenoids activating? Any other gas appliances in house? Can you try boiling water during this time? 

If you can light your pilot light, but it keeps going out, the first item to check is the thermocouple. When the water heater is first lit, a valve releases gas into the burner, and the pilot light ignites that gas. After about 30 seconds, heat from the ignited pilot light flame activates a simple electrical switch called a thermocouple which ensures that the gas supply to the pilot stays open and your water heater keeps functioning.

If your gas water heater keeps shutting off, the thermocouple could be dirty, bent or damaged. The thermocouple is usually easily visible next to the pilot light. Inspect the thermocouple to determine if it is dirty or damaged in some way. If it is dirty, turn off the gas to allow the thermocouple to cool. You can then clean the thermocouple by gently sanding it with fine sandpaper.

https://magnificentplumbing.com/gas-water-heater-keeps-shutting-off/

If you can light your pilot light, but it keeps going out, the first item to check is the thermocouple. When the water heater is first lit, a valve releases gas into the burner, and the pilot light ignites that gas. After about 30 seconds, heat from the ignited pilot light flame activates a simple electrical switch called a thermocouple which ensures that the gas supply to the pilot stays open and your water heater keeps functioning.

If your gas water heater keeps shutting off, the thermocouple could be dirty, bent or damaged. The thermocouple is usually easily visible next to the pilot light. Inspect the thermocouple to determine if it is dirty or damaged in some way. If it is dirty, turn off the gas to allow the thermocouple to cool. You can then clean the thermocouple by gently sanding it with fine sandpaper.

This. Happened to me a couple of times. Replacement parts are pretty cheap. First time, I cleaned it and it worked for a while. Then, I hired a plumber- I don't mess with gas or electric, even though I could have done this one myself

Thanks for this. After the last 10min run it seems we have hot water now but I’m guessing that will run out soon.  I assume the little blue pilot light should always be visibly on correct?  That doesn’t go out and then turn itself back on when water needs heating more does it?   Right now I look through the little window and nothing is on...no little pilot flame. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this. After the last 10min run it seems we have hot water now but I’m guessing that will run out soon.  I assume the little blue pilot light should always be visibly on correct?  That doesn’t go out and then turn itself back on when water needs hearing more does it?   Right now I look through little window and nothing is on...no little pilot flame. 
Yes, pilot light should stay on. If you can't see it, it's almost surely the thermocouple. 

Yes, pilot light should stay on. If you can't see it, it's almost surely the thermocouple. 
OK, so I took it apart and lightly sanded the thermocouple to clean it up.  Put it all back together and fired up nicely and I kept an eye on it.  The heating flame seemed to move down below the pan weirdly below the pilot and thermocouple and after 5 minutes (used to be 10 minutes) shut down again.  Now when I go to try and light pilot light again I just see a spark, but pilot light doesn't light up at all anymore.

Did I officially blow the thermocouple and need to fully replace that? Or something else?

Took the burner out again this morning and see one of the lines going to the burner was burned through.  That’s why gas wasn’t getting to the pilot.  At a parts store now hoping they have an entire new burner assembly. 

Users who are viewing this thread