What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doughnut Clash: Apple Fritter vs Long John (2 Viewers)

What Doughnut is better?

• Long John

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • Apple Fritter

Votes: 54 65.1%

• Total voters
You may want to let people that don't live in flyover states know what you mean.   West coast at least doesn't call any donut a long john.  We just refer to them as "bars" and by the type of frosting.   Chocolate bar, maple bar, etc.   They're also donuts, not doughnuts.

You may want to let people that don't live in flyover states know what you mean.   West coast at least doesn't call any donut a long john.  We just refer to them as "bars" and by the type of frosting.   Chocolate bar, maple bar, etc.   They're also donuts, not doughnuts.
From the 1st item on the Google so it must be correct, "The Official Dictionary Spelling of the word in question—if you’re into that sort of thing—is “doughnut.” The expedited, simplified, Americanized spelling of “donut,” as Grammarist tells us, has been around since at least the late 19th century. It didn’t catch on, though, until late in the 20th century..."

From the 1st item on the Google so it must be correct, "The Official Dictionary Spelling of the word in question—if you’re into that sort of thing—is “doughnut.” The expedited, simplified, Americanized spelling of “donut,” as Grammarist tells us, has been around since at least the late 19th century. It didn’t catch on, though, until late in the 20th century..."
yeah, I'm not eating "long johns" from the 19th century.   

I'm going to the donut shop and buying a maple bar.

Maple-iced cream-filled bar > apple fritter > white-iced jelly-filled bar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any custard-filled bar

Jelly filled long john?  
OH HELL NO.

also, Long John is a general term for bar-shaped donuts that have icing - usually chocolate (maple yes ...but less so)

AND usually have filling (doesn't have to ...but most do)

- usually its sweet white cream or bavarian cream ...but have also had a sweet peanut butter flavored blend filling)

a maple bar is one kind of Long John 

Maple-iced cream-filled bar > apple fritter > white-iced jelly-filled bar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any custard-filled bar
apple fritters are ALWAYS the last donut left in the breakroom - ####in' grandpa donut

how do you feel about a chocolate iced filled with a slightly sweet peanut butter cream?

apple fritters are ALWAYS the last donut left in the breakroom - ####in' grandpa donut

how do you feel about a chocolate iced filled with a slightly sweet peanut butter cream?
Never had the peanut butter cream filled... Sounds awesome.

Also, shouldn't a "bar" be something more, say, firm or hard like a candy bar or meal replacement bar.

Voted apple fritter, but beware, they are easily dried out and worthless. 

* worked at a bakery for 9 years in my early days. 

I don't think I've ever tasted an apple fritter and I have zero desire to do as such.  "Long Johns" or whatever are good, but gotta be filled with custard or whipped cream.  I don't see the cream filled around these parts anymore, so I go for the custard filled.  

Also... mmmm, donuts.

I like Long John's because they have fish. Apple fritters are kinda weak for only have one ingredient. Long John's has a type of fish plus a dipping sauce (usually tartar) w a lemon garnish. Especially the extra spicy long John's fish is good. 

I like Long John's because they have fish. Apple fritters are kinda weak for only have one ingredient. Long John's has a type of fish plus a dipping sauce (usually tartar) w a lemon garnish. Especially the extra spicy long John's fish is good. 
The crunchy bits as a bed for the fish is where it’s at

I basically only ever order 4 types of donuts--apple fritters, maple bars, sugar twists, and raspberry filled.  If I had to choose one as my slight favorite--I'd probably have to apple fritter--but it'd literally be by a nominal amount 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a Canadian thing? Never heard of this
I think it's more northern than specifically Canadian.  Our conection  here in Houston calls them filled bars.

Mr R was very confused in Boston by the honey dipped doughnuts.  Thems glazed plains, by god.

OH HELL NO.

also, Long John is a general term for bar-shaped donuts that have icing - usually chocolate (maple yes ...but less so)

AND usually have filling (doesn't have to ...but most do)

- usually its sweet white cream or bavarian cream ...but have also had a sweet peanut butter flavored blend filling)

a maple bar is one kind of Long John 
No.  No.  No.

They do NOT usually have filling.  And vanilla long johns are just as common as chocolate.

I basically only ever order 4 types of donuts--apple fritters, maple bars, sugar twists, and raspberry filled.  If I had to choose one as my slight favorite--I'd probably have to apple fritter--but it'd literally be by a nominal amount 
This is a good breakdown, other than the weirdness of calling it a maple bar, which ignores that there are chocolate and vanilla flavors too.  That said, if you slap bacon on the “maple bar” I’ll probably weigh 300 lbs within a year.

When I saw this thread, my first thought was “how did someone take 2 of my favorite donuts and turn them into a pole topic?”   Then I saw your post — right there with you.  Fritter, “maple bar” except chocolate or vanilla, twist and raspberry filled.  Top-4 for me.  Twist is probably last of those 4......but......all so delicious.

I literally tell people that I run and abstain from alcohol purely so that I can keep eating donuts.

Yeah, maybe a midwest thing, but Long John was what I always got because I don't like filling.
Exactly.  I know they have filling options too, but....I travel all over the country and eat a lot of ####### donuts.  And the ratio of filled to unfilled long johns is probably 1:3 or 1:4 on balance.  My cholesterol readings should be enough to defend that statement.  😁

Sometimes an Apple fritter can be too sweet IMO.  I love a good one. Bear claws, anything with cinnamon I’m down with. Though I’m a straight up glazed buttermilk bar guy. Or an old fashioned. Maybe have one donut a year. Used to work at a donut shop as a kid. Made em all, ate em all. 

Exactly.  I know they have filling options too, but....I travel all over the country and eat a lot of ####### donuts.  And the ratio of filled to unfilled long johns is probably 1:3 or 1:4 on balance.  My cholesterol readings should be enough to defend that statement.  😁
I''ve never seen a Long John that didn't have filling, either here in Texas or in New York.

I haven't been back home (NE Ohio) in a few decades but there's a little donut shop there that makes every kind of donut you can imagine and they make them extremely well, not the prettiest looking but excellent tasting.  Anyway, they made Long John's that were amazing.  There were a long stick, typical pick your flavor of icing on top (Chocolate, Vanilla, Maple, etc.) but the filling was the key.  The damn things were so full of the best, lightest icing that when you bit into them, it actually pushed the icing out of the side of the Long John.  Again, it's been 30+ years since I've had one but I can still taste that donut like it was yesterday.  Now I've had a few since then that have been a lot like those but more times than not, most donut shops screw them up.

I think the problem is, is that most of the Long John's I've had since then either skip the icing filling, go skimpy on the icing and don't completely fill it or fill it with something disgusting like custard, pudding, jelly or a really half-assed icing so I think, because of this, most people think "Long John, eh no thanks."  I think if you had one like one of these that I'm talking about, I mean one that's done really well,  I think you may vote Long John.

The thing of is though, Apple Fritters are pretty excellent and hard to screw up so I would imagine that's why it's getting the bigger vote.

Users who are viewing this thread