What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's talk hemorrhoids (1 Viewer)

Galileo

Footballguy
I know this isn't the most pleasing of topics to discuss, but from what I am reading on medical sites, they are pretty common.  Is anyone else afflicted with this vile pain in the a** that can give me some treatment tips?  I am pretty new to this game.  I believe I had a flare up once in the past.  I felt a lump.  I really wasn't sure what it was at first, but speculated it was hemorrhoids.  It wasn't too much of an issue.  It didn't hurt, didn't bleed, and seemed to vanish in a day or two without any treatment.  What I currently have going on has lasted about a week.    I started using Preparation H a few days back.  It soothed the sensation a little at first, but otherwise didn't seem to do much.  Things seem to be escalating.  Anyone got any tips?  Other treatments that work well?  I'd rather not have to go to a doctor for this if I don't have to, but I am thinking I may need to.

I know this isn't the most pleasing of topics to discuss, but from what I am reading on medical sites, they are pretty common.  Is anyone else afflicted with this vile pain in the a** that can give me some treatment tips?  I am pretty new to this game.  I believe I had a flare up once in the past.  I felt a lump.  I really wasn't sure what it was at first, but speculated it was hemorrhoids.  It wasn't too much of an issue.  It didn't hurt, didn't bleed, and seemed to vanish in a day or two without any treatment.  What I currently have going on has lasted about a week.    I started using Preparation H a few days back.  It soothed the sensation a little at first, but otherwise didn't seem to do much.  Things seem to be escalating.  Anyone got any tips?  Other treatments that work well?  I'd rather not have to go to a doctor for this if I don't have to, but I am thinking I may need to.
I had some flareups pretty bad a few months ago.  bad enough where it was keeping me up at night.  nothing worse than pain keeping you from sleeping.  What helped me out a ton was a hot bath with epsom salt just before going to bed. Simple, relaxing, and within a week had the flare up under control.

You guys think colonoscopies and vasectomies are bad... try a hemorrhoidectomy. 

You should have seen my post-surgery opioid tracking chart to make sure I didn't OD.  I usually try to avoid them but I was taking ALOT.

Night and day now though, I'm way better and have almost no problems but still taking fiber supplements and stuff to be safe.

@Juxtatarot advice above is good, do whatever you can to avoid constipation and straining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay hydrated, consider adding more fiber to your diet, and don’t strain a BM.
I remember when I was about 8 having a bad belly ache at my grandma's house. She made me lay down, and gave me some nasty tasting stuff that made me poop my brains out. 

After a few hours she asks me if I moved my bowels. I had no idea what she meant and insisted that I haven't moved anything. Well that lead to more nasty medicine and more pooping. Again she asked me, about a bowel movement, again I say "No granny, I've just been laying here watching TV.  I haven't moved or touched anything"

I'm not sure how many cycles this went through but my mom ended up taking me to the ER for severe dehydration later that night, 

Pretty sure there is another thread around here on the subject.  I have had one off an on.  It got real bad at one point that I even had a surgery scheduled, until I started reading up about post-op pain and instructions.  

Fiber is key.

...and I truly appreciate all the prevention tips thus far.  I am taking it all in.  But honestly, at the moment, I am most interested in effective treatment tips.

I can't believe that I remember this, but when I had a bad case maybe 20ish years ago, my doctor told me the best position to put the cream on is laying on your stomach, like on your bed.  Something about that position making your muscles "down there" being at their absolute most-relaxed, which helps you push the hemorrhoid back in while you apply the cream/gel/whatever.

I still get the sensation that I have minor ones from time to time but not anything that's protruding.  They just go away.

Also... gross.  :X

nirad3 said:
I can't believe that I remember this, but when I had a bad case maybe 20ish years ago, my doctor told me the best position to put the cream on is laying on your stomach, like on your bed.  Something about that position making your muscles "down there" being at their absolute most-relaxed, which helps you push the hemorrhoid back in while you apply the cream/gel/whatever.

I still get the sensation that I have minor ones from time to time but not anything that's protruding.  They just go away.

Also... gross.  :X
Ugh, the surgery doesn't seem so bad now.

Galileo said:
...and I truly appreciate all the prevention tips thus far.  I am taking it all in.  But honestly, at the moment, I am most interested in effective treatment tips.
There really is no treatment other than stop doing the things that make it flare up, like not getting enough fiber and sitting on the toilet for long periods of time.  Just stay clean down there with medicated wipes.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Galileo said:
Lube up a clove of garlic w your prep H and push that puppy as far in as you can get. 

shuke said:
Pretty sure there is another thread around here on the subject.  I have had one off an on.  It got real bad at one point that I even had a surgery scheduled, until I started reading up about post-op pain and instructions.  

Fiber is key.
That was a great thread. It probably died in a purge. 

I sent a message to my pcp today.  She said she could prescribe a steroid cream.  It's worth a shot.  I'll pick it up tomorrow.  I just finished a soak in a tub with Epsom salt and lubed up with the Prep H after.   I think the gooey feeling like I didn't wipe may be more annoying than any pain.  

I sent a message to my pcp today.  She said she could prescribe a steroid cream.  It's worth a shot.  I'll pick it up tomorrow.  I just finished a soak in a tub with Epsom salt and lubed up with the Prep H after.   I think the gooey feeling like I didn't wipe may be more annoying than any pain.  
I'm not pulling your leg on the garlic thing.  My mom told me about it and it worked for me.   Do it before bed and have a nice garlicy smelling poop in the morning.  

shuke said:

Fiber is key.
That was a great thread. It probably died in a purge. 
I seem to remember some unlucky SOB had an issue while at the pool with his kids and had to run from the pool while his kid yelled something about a bloody butt so loud the entire pool heard it. 

I seem to remember some unlucky SOB had an issue while at the pool with his kids and had to run from the pool while his kid yelled something about a bloody butt so loud the entire pool heard it. 
I remember that. 🤣

With white swim trunks, or something, too.

I used to sit on the toilet a while to read the morning paper and hide from the wife.  Haven't had a problem since I got divorced and stopped doing that.  Divorce or hemorrhoids?  Sometimes sacrifices need to be made.

Stay hydrated, consider adding more fiber to your diet, and don’t strain a BM.
This is the part that scares me ...

Not forcing it but sometimes it just feels like I'm giving birth... 

I hold my breath, bite down on a leather belt, and think to myself, "this thing must be coming out sideways".

Pretty sure that I've slightly blown out my O-ring at some point. So far, no discomfort though. Just hoping I don't make it any worse.

I hold my breath, bite down on a leather belt, and think to myself, "this thing must be coming out sideways".

Pretty sure that I've slightly blown out my O-ring at some point. So far, no discomfort though. Just hoping I don't make it any worse.
Doesn't have to be that way.  Increase your fiber through fruits / vegetables / supplements.  Drink more water.  Work in some Dulcolax if necessary.

Hydrate and dried fruits. Prunes and apricots are the best.

Having an issue with this right now.  I think I've had one for a long time without really realizing what it was, but it's flaring up and is really a pain (and gross).  I think I want to get an -ectomy and get rid of it, but I guess I'll give it a week or so to see what happens before going to the dr.

Users who are viewing this thread